Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #4171
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
Sorry, i should have been more clear. As someone who usually owns 90-120 hp bikes, my interest isn't to discover the nuances of the power curve, but simply whether I could live with (and tour) on a bike with the limited power numbers. My last bike was a triumph tiger, and I'd love the tiger800, but the money gods may not be generous.

Geof
The NC Honda is a great ride. I enjoy the heck out of it every time I get it out for a ride. I'm looking forward to a bunch of riding and travels this coming year. It's very comfortable, sits like a dual sport, or GS. It's a very basic machine, and should be easy to maintain and keep running, for a long time and lots of miles. And yes it does get great mpg.

This may sound off, but the closest machine that I would compare the power to would be the HD 883 Sportster.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #4172
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
The NC Honda is a great ride. I enjoy the heck out of it every time I get it out for a ride. I'm looking forward to a bunch of riding and travels this coming year. It's very comfortable, sits like a dual sport, or GS. It's a very basic machine, and should be easy to maintain and keep running, for a long time and lots of miles. And yes it does get great mpg.

This may sound off, but the closest machine that I would compare the power to would be the HD 883 Sportster.

Art
Interesting you thought of a sporty. I had an '84 XLX ironhead, 4 speed back in the '80's. The one bike I truly wished I'd kept. Anyway when I took my little test ride on the NC I kind of did a mental comparison to both my BMW and from memory the old sportster. It seemed like a natural comaprison since all three machines are low reving torquers.

In the twisties it seemed like I had to row the gearbox more on the NC due to its quicker reving nature - relative to the others. I remembered sticking the Sportster in 4th and just leaving it there a lot of times. Roll on the gas, roll out, back on. shrug I don't know, its an old memory. The BMW seemed somewhere in the middle. It may be just that I only had 20 miles on the NC and was playing with it little more.
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #4173
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
I really like that. Do you have a complete list of mods?
Go here and find all sorts of NC stuff including the bike pictured:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/login.p...4f738e1fc28766
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #4174
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Sorry, i should have been more clear. As someone who usually owns 90-120 hp bikes, my interest isn't to discover the nuances of the power curve, but simply whether I could live with (and tour) on a bike with the limited power numbers. My last bike was a triumph tiger, and I'd love the tiger800, but the money gods may not be generous.

Geof
Only you could really answer that, but it is so similar in weight, power, RPM range to R80 / R100 BMW's of years gone by that you could ask the same question like this..

Could I live with and tour on an R100 BMW?

Plenty of people could as it was classified as a great touring machine at the time. Maybe it's a matter of getting in the mental space. Maybe it's just about getting a nice seat. Way cheaper though.

But it is all a personal thing. One persons touring may be anothers racing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #4175
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
In the twisties it seemed like I had to row the gearbox more on the NC due to its quicker reving nature - relative to the others. I remembered sticking the Sportster in 4th and just leaving it there a lot of times. Roll on the gas, roll out, back on. shrug I don't know, its an old memory. The BMW seemed somewhere in the middle. It may be just that I only had 20 miles on the NC and was playing with it little more.
For what it's worth, I feel exactly the same way.

Despite it's long stroke, my NC spins up so much faster than my F800ST, it's amazing! I imagine that's half the issue people are having when riding one for the first time, and constantly hitting the rev limiter.

The BMW only has 2 thousand higher rpm ceiling than the NC, but it in no way ever felt like it got there too quickly, to me.

I hit the limiter on my NC going out of the dealer's lot, and I *knew* to beware of it. I was trying to be concious of the throttle. I was gobsmacked when I saw I did it anyway. Then as time passed, I could easily note the very different way the two engines spun up, and "adjusted" my throttle and shift memories.

It's still a little tough for me to make myself shift at well under 3k rpm though, man...
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #4176
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,369
So I'm going from a Vstrom 1000 to the NC.Man O Man thats a HUGE difference !!.It's gonna take me awhile to get use to the X.Besides them both having 2 wheels and handle bars there is not alot the same between them.My V made about double the power and FELT twice as heavy and the power bands are totally different !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #4177
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Only you could really answer that, but it is so similar in weight, power, RPM range to R80 / R100 BMW's of years gone by that you could ask the same question like this..

Plenty of people could as it was classified as a great touring machine at the time. Maybe it's a matter of getting in the mental space. Maybe it's just about getting a nice seat. Way cheaper though.

I've done some touring on my KTM 640 Adventure, and its manageable, but less than ideal. I've also had a Tiger 900 (steamer), a 955i Tiger, and a KTM 950 Adventure. All handled 2000 mile trips easily. The KTM 640 works, but is such a different bike (big dirtbike) from the Honda, I just need to know how it feels. Someone mentioned Sportster, which makes me wonder about my Bonneville (2008). That also a low rever, and heavy with limited power, but it gets around. Never did a long trip on it, but kitted right i think it would be manageable.

Geof
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #4178
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
travels

Quote:
I've done some touring on my KTM 640 Adventure, and its manageable, but less than ideal. I've also had a Tiger 900 (steamer), a 955i Tiger, and a KTM 950 Adventure. All handled 2000 mile trips easily. The KTM 640 works, but is such a different bike (big dirtbike) from the Honda, I just need to know how it feels. Someone mentioned Sportster, which makes me wonder about my Bonneville (2008). That also a low rever, and heavy with limited power, but it gets around. Never did a long trip on it, but kitted right i think it would be manageable.

Geof
The all time best travel reading. "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon, on a 1973 Triumph Tiger 500. Four years around the world.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #4179
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Watch " one crazy ride " you will never say your X is not ok for touring after you watch it.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #4180
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Someone mentioned Sportster, which makes me wonder about my Bonneville (2008). That also a low rever, and heavy with limited power, but it gets around. Never did a long trip on it, but kitted right i think it would be manageable.

Geof
Take 1 Bonneville and make it a bit less revvy. In other words the Honda is about 12% less power at about 12% less pevs and torque is about 12% less at 12% less revs and probably 12% better economy. All approximate of course.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #4181
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

You see I sold my R100 to buy my NC700X. I was already used to 50ish rear wheel hp for the 117K I had on it, used to shifting up at 5500 rpm, and used to being faster than 90% of the cars out there doing just that. It wasn't quick but it was fast enough and went around the curves as fast as modern bikes ridden mostly sanely do. It took awhile but it topped 115 mph, did the ton with ease, and was all day comfortable when riding to a place two or three states away before sundown. Much like the NC700X with a little farkling.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #4182
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
You see I sold my R100 to buy my NC700X. I was already used to 50ish rear wheel hp for the 117K I had on it, used to shifting up at 5500 rpm, and used to being faster than 90% of the cars out there doing just that. It wasn't quick but it was fast enough and went around the curves as fast as modern bikes ridden mostly sanely do. It took awhile but it topped 115 mph, did the ton with ease, and was all day comfortable when riding to a place two or three states away before sundown. Much like the NC700X with a little farkling.
What he said !!!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #4183
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
We want transportation, not devices to facilitate our escapist fantasies.
Interesting statement, but I have "transportation". A VW Tiguan. It carries loads of pizza, kids, and other crap. Weather protection is excellent. Nice cold AC and warm heat.

I own a motorcycle for the exact purpose of facilitating my escapist fantasies. I enjoy the sensation of feeling like the hand of God is pushing you down the road. I enjoy tipping my bike in, hitting the apex, and pulling the trigger on the happy handle to the point where the front end rises a few inches off the ground.

I owned a Versys and put a lot of miles on it. It was a wonderful city bike. Clutch was so light and easy that anyone thinking you need an automatic must have small hands or some sort of disability that prohibits them from operating it. Where the Versys failed was in the power department. It handled well, but I frequently wished it had more power.

I'm not saying the NC is a bad bike, or the Versys. Both cater to different riders wants and needs. In the end, it's got two wheels and a motor, so I like it. Even my craptastic Kymco 125cc rat scooter is fun to ride. Just like dating an ugly woman, it can be a lot of fun, just don't let your friends see you do it. LOL!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #4184
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:

Geof
I went from 72hp to 29hp and still get to my usual touring destination
400 miles away in same period of time, still can overtake virtually anywhere,
and still can maintain 80mph if needed, but I prefer up to 75mph.

The NC isn't much faster then my scooter, but it still is faster.
I wouldn't worry about it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #4185
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
"I own a motorcycle for the exact purpose of facilitating my escapist fantasies. I enjoy the sensation of feeling like the hand of God is pushing you down the road. I enjoy tipping my bike in, hitting the apex, and pulling the trigger on the happy handle to the point where the front end rises a few inches off the ground."

Thanks so much for that. I feel he same way, but I never really thought about it until I read your post. The first German pilot to fly a jet described the feeling, saying it was like being pushed by an angel. For me to be happy a motorcycle needs enough power to accelerate effortlessly without a lot of commotion. And now I know why I don't like cruisers, they just always seem to be working hard, making noise, struggling if you will, not being pushed by the hand of any God I want to know. I know others feel differently.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote