Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #31
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
you talking Honda r&d intellectual prowess?
http://powersports.honda.com/street/crossover.aspx
they are now a utilitarian car company that happens to still make motorcycles.

what have they done to make the transalp better or more advanced over time? i think their suspension components went backwards

i can tell you're a diehard AT fan, but the rest of us are not holding our breathes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
@ Stormforce... I envy you for your bike... Compliments for the re-build you did! But nothing compares to a real, original RD01 which I own... ;)

@ Ladder... That's the point. Hit it right on the nail. Unless the R&D people are real stupid, they have to bring us something proper, or get out of the Western market and pointing their R&D activities 200% to Asia. People are getting tired from ‘promises’ like they did previous to (f.e.) the introduction of the VFR1200F and customers are turning their back towards Honda.

I still believe there is a reason to have (some) hope... Maybe I am stubborn, maybe just a wishful thinker. Who knows. I love the Honda's I have owned, and love the Honda's I own. But that doesn't blind me to look at other brands and the bikes they build...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #32
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
1 thing I am going to "steal" from this tread :)

"Crossdresser" applied to crosstourer - brilliant

They will mount this motor into uninspiring chassis of Transalp 700, I am almost sure.

As for roadster - nah, CB1000R aka last gen big Hornet have brilliant and capable CBR1000rr motor - why would I want to go down to 700?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #33
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
1 thing I am going to "steal" from this tread :)

"Crossdresser" applied to crosstourer - brilliant

They will mount this motor into uninspiring chassis of Transalp 700, I am almost sure.

As for roadster - nah, CB1000R aka last gen big Hornet have brilliant and capable CBR1000rr motor - why would I want to go down to 700?
so you're calling for honda ditching the V.
guess we'll see. the bike would have to go through a radical redo for the adv crowd to get exicted.

i think the roadster concept is coupled with the dual-clutch transmission kinda like a aprilia mana...looks like a motorcycle and is auto tranny.

it's not meant to be a beastly roadster but more of a maxi-scotter owner crossover.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #34
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Interesting... 33 replies in 24 hrs for an 'non- confirmed' and most likely unsuccessful motorcycle from which we only know that Honda will make a presentation at the EICMA show in November...

Oh, yes... The internal code for the bike at Honda R&D is 'Roadrunner'. There goes your inside information... ;)

Positive fact… again the Honda company is bashed around – this time not by the always ‘up-to-a-good-bash’ BMW public, but by loyal Honda owners & riders…

Clear signal I think. Go4it.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #35
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
Well, I think this is interesting. Three models they say.

1. Let's forget the super-scooter. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

2. The naked bike. From that picture I don't see it as a Hornet (or CBR) alike. It seems more like it is going on the Husqvarna Nuda900R concept, which has already been unveiled but the public will see for the first time in EICMA this November. The Husqvarna appears to be something in between the F800R and the Aprilia Dorsoduro or Ducati Hypermotard. The Nuda has a 900cc parallel twin motor (which, BTW, Husqvarna says it is 100% BMW technology as opposed to Rotax, from which this motor is based). Husqvarna has also been rumored with a possible adventure version ala 800GS wit the 900cc motor.

3. The other version. Adventure? Or will it be an enduro/rally version? I would like to see the latter.

EDIT: and what about the dual clutch transmission? I'm ambivalent about it. I like changing gears myself... at least what seems to be proposed is more of a DSG and not a slush-box.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 04:22 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #36
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Scooter is cool - no doubt. For maxiscooter crowd it'll be shining hope. Thou TBH it has tough competitors.

From the picture of naked bike it does seem it takes after Hornet 600 (last gen) but much worse equipped and of course different frame...

Judge for yourself. In any case it is definitely same segment
What is it with people - I only found 2 (!!!) photos of Hornet from that side :) and thousands from another
so - best I can find

Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #37
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Well, I think this is interesting. Three models they say.

1. Let's forget the super-scooter. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

2. The naked bike. From that picture I don't see it as a Hornet (or CBR) alike. It seems more like it is going on the Husqvarna Nuda900R concept, which has already been unveiled but the public will see for the first time in EICMA this November. The Husqvarna appears to be something in between the F800R and the Aprilia Dorsoduro or Ducati Hypermotard. The Nuda has a 900cc parallel twin motor (which, BTW, Husqvarna says it is 100% BMW technology as opposed to Rotax, from which this motor is based). Husqvarna has also been rumored with a possible adventure version ala 800GS wit the 900cc motor.

3. The other version. Adventure? Or will it be an enduro/rally version? I would like to see the latter.

EDIT: and what about the dual clutch transmission? I'm ambivalent about it. I like changing gears myself... at least what seems to be proposed is more of a DSG and not a slush-box.
Husqvarna unveiled cut outs of motor and some photos and no matter what they say - it is just another derivative of Rotax.
TBH I would prefer Rotax any time. And that Husky looks just like another go at "full to the brim" segment in Europe - naked bikes with 600cc+ motors. Do not know how it is in US, but over here I would not hope too high for Husky Nuda future unless they really have ace up the sleeve like "incredible motor" or something. In that segment here we have Kwak Z1000, Hornet 1000, Yamaha FZ1N, Suzuki SV1000, KTM Superduke, Ducatis (loads), Aprilias, MV Agusta....a loads.
So - new Honda naked will enter market also full of good bikes, including their own.
Equipment level on that bike on photo is so low, it must be really cheap to compete. REALLY cheap.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #38
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Bluesman, you are right, it looks like a Hornet.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #39
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
If the code name is Roadrunner then i see a TDM - lite. A rival for the Versys.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #40
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Husqvarna unveiled cut outs of motor and some photos and no matter what they say - it is just another derivative of Rotax.
TBH I would prefer Rotax any time. And that Husky looks just like another go at "full to the brim" segment in Europe - naked bikes with 600cc+ motors. Do not know how it is in US, but over here I would not hope too high for Husky Nuda future unless they really have ace up the sleeve like "incredible motor" or something. In that segment here we have Kwak Z1000, Hornet 1000, Yamaha FZ1N, Suzuki SV1000, KTM Superduke, Ducatis (loads), Aprilias, MV Agusta....a loads.
So - new Honda naked will enter market also full of good bikes, including their own.
Equipment level on that bike on photo is so low, it must be really cheap to compete. REALLY cheap.
I don't know more than what can be seen on Husqvarna's own site. From that it seems to be on a more narrow segment: aprilia dorsoduro and ducati hypermotard.

If this new Honda is more of a Hornet, than it goes on another slot. Ducati monster? F800R?

I'd rather be riding!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #41
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Their new twin looks really promising - compact parallel twin with a proper 270 degree crank Direct injection and a small turbo would suit it really well

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #42
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Are they still selling current SV1000's over in Europe?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #43
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Not that I am aware of, since it was (IMO for no reason) a bit of sales flop.
But 2nd hand market in Europe is HUGE. Specially now. You can have almost new SV cheaply - 3000-4000 Euro range would buy bike with 10-20 000 km on the clock which is nothing for SV1000.
I even seen some "stock leftovers" of bikes, that I'd expect long gone. What puzzled me most in recent visit to "sell all makes" dealership is Yamaha Tenere 2008 new for 6500 Euros. Warranty and tax included.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
If the code name is Roadrunner then i see a TDM - lite. A rival for the Versys.
That's my take on it. I really didn't see any ADV bike shining through in those photos, maybe I missed something???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Their new twin looks really promising - compact parallel twin with a proper 270 degree crank Direct injection and a small turbo would suit it really well
I agree the engine "package" looks promising. I see a double edge sword in the low cylinders. It does allow for a much larger fuel capacity above it, but it also means the wheelbase needs to be stretched out to keep the head from smacking the front wheel on full compression. I don't see that cylinder angle as ideal for an off-road bike unless they put it up higher with the gearbox below ala Husaburg 70 degree.

I think putting the 270 crank in it was definitely the right move. I think Kawi should do the same with their Versys engine.

Hopefully they left some room between the bores to pump it up some for future needs, 700cc is on the low side of most people's desired displacement. Add another 100cc and now you're talking. If they did indeed make use of a "proper" turbo then 700cc is plenty for sure. With DI and twin scroll turbo technology I could see them making a comeback on bikes. The only issue is the extra hardware and plumbing required.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 09:53 AM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #45
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
Code name "Roadrunner"....seriously? What does this tell us? It's a rapid little bird that is at home in the desert and scrubland type environment. Does anyone here think that is what Honda had in mind.........nah.

Look at the new Wee-Strom.

It's even more road oriented than the original. Suzukis research showed the vast majority of the machines were used primarily on the road. Well if I'm honest, the majority of MY riding is on the road just because I have to put in the road miles to go ride the trails and fire-roads.....the entire reason for the existence (and increasing popularity) of the "Dual-Sport". If your market research isn't done carefully I think you can get a very skewed interpretation of how our bikes are actually used.

What most manufacturers don't seem to understand is that it's much easier for a dirt oriented machine to function at a reasonable level on the street than it is for any street oriented machine to function at any reasonable level in the dirt.

Enough with the Dual-Sport compromise bikes.......give me a largish rallye replica from the early 90s.

.......oh wait....I already have two of those. Well, maybe a new one would be nice but I still can't get being stuck down in Mexico with a bad servo-motor or oxygen sensor ......nevermind.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote