Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #631
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
There is an inmate here with the saying, "It only takes 18 hp to travel the world. The rest is wheel spin." People traversed the US on CBs with less power and more weight than this bike.

Future models and enhancements. There is no job security in building the perfect bike.
Say that once again and offer your testimony. Just sayin.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #632
Wanterer
Adenturer

Oddometer: 58
Nancy

I read some of this thread but not all 30 pages so if I'm repeating... sorry.

I'm a fan of the Honda brand so when I heard about their new adventure bike, I got excited. But it doesn't seem to be an adventure bike at all (unless going to work is your adventure)

The Nancy X is built on the NC platform which I read will also yield a naked bike and a scooter (OK now this is making some sense)

Honda is looking to address higher gas prices in the US and worldwide. Now Joe Ordinary can buy a real motorcycle that drives more like a car than a screamer (aha! this is where the DCT comes in)

So - the disappointment only comes to us awaiting a real adventure or dual sport bike from Honda. 3.7 gallon tank? Digital dash? 17" front wheel? Utility bucket in place of the gas tank? shut off the power at 6500 revs? cheap? It all makes sense if you're buying a "scooter with a beak on it so your friends won't know you bought a scooter" bike.

Dunno - Honda might sell more than a few of these. (Did I note they are cheap?)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #633
Wanterer
Adenturer

Oddometer: 58
and another thing...

What does Honda know about revolutionizing transportation anyway???
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #634
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanterer View Post
I read some of this thread but not all 30 pages so if I'm repeating... sorry.

I'm a fan of the Honda brand so when I heard about their new adventure bike, I got excited. But it doesn't seem to be an adventure bike at all (unless going to work is your adventure)

The Nancy X is built on the NC platform which I read will also yield a naked bike and a scooter (OK now this is making some sense)

Honda is looking to address higher gas prices in the US and worldwide. Now Joe Ordinary can buy a real motorcycle that drives more like a car than a screamer (aha! this is where the DCT comes in)

So - the disappointment only comes to us awaiting a real adventure or dual sport bike from Honda. 3.7 gallon tank? Digital dash? 17" front wheel? Utility bucket in place of the gas tank? shut off the power at 6500 revs? cheap? It all makes sense if you're buying a "scooter with a beak on it so your friends won't know you bought a scooter" bike.

Dunno - Honda might sell more than a few of these. (Did I note they are cheap?)
To save you reading the whole thread I'll summarize for you.

Two Plugs is fan of the Honda brand so when he heard about an adventure bike rumour, He got excited.

He got a case of premature speculation and started a thread right there and then.

All kinds people joined in and had a mass premature speculation.

But when the facts came out Two Plugs thought
Quote:
it doesn't seem to be an adventure bike at all (unless going to work is your adventure)

The rest of the thread is focused on

1) WTF is this bike doing here?
2) Well I suppose if you squint hard you can see an adventure bike.
3) Maybe we could keep it here becasue it makes the wee Strom owners feel good.
4) Actually dicussing where this bike might work.
5) What is the current level of plot deficit at Honda, or are they just ahead of their time.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #635
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,310
I guess I'm missing the point on this. I don't really see a reason to buy this over a Versys or V-Strom, or at least see anything that makes it more than a weak competitor to those models.

If I was following this, although the base price is $6999, the ABS pkg will set you back another $2000 (did I read that right?). That cheap buy in, doesn't seem so cheap.

They may well be marketing this for beginners, but I see two problems:
1) I think beginners would want the ABS, so more $$$$
2) Even if it is a good beginner bike, people tend to buy motorcycles based on emotion rather than logic. The Low HP number may be a big turnoff (regardless of how the bike actually feels - if you could test ride a Japanese brand anyway).

I'm really curious about the real world power. My street bike is a 1986 K75 (68 HP, 500 lbs), which many feel is underpowered. It's fine for me. I am seriously considering a newer standard/sport tourer and the ones that appeal to me are the Versys, new Strom, and Tiger 800. So I was pretty excited when I saw this Honda. I've never been too concerned about peak HP. In graphical terms, I'm more concerned with the area under the whole curve, rather than the highest point.

But under 50 HP and 500 lbs?! That really does seem more like a moped. Seriously, I'm about as pedestrian as it comes, but I think the lack of power will be this bike's undoing.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #636
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
I agree. I think it's possible to squeeze some torque out of 48hp, but I have a real hard time seeing how the handling can be very good when the weight wet is north of 500lbs. Nice looking, though.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #637
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Poor ol' Soichiro. If he saw how these bikes are trying to be cars he would probably go kill himself again.
he died of liver failure...he didn't kill himself.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #638
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 711
my 250 has less than 1hp for every 15lbs, this bike has 1hp for every 10 lbs. It's got to be faster than a 250
I expect it will be pretty quick light to light
Who cares what kind of forks it has, do chicks dig it? Now that's a good question.
Seems like it will go 80mph all day.
Oh, and you could buy 4 of them for the price of a Motus and you'll never get a ticket going 120 bra hahaha.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #639
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I guess I'm missing the point on this. I don't really see a reason to buy this over a Versys or V-Strom, or at least see anything that makes it more than a weak competitor to those models.

If I was following this, although the base price is $6999, the ABS pkg will set you back another $2000 (did I read that right?). That cheap buy in, doesn't seem so cheap.

2) Even if it is a good beginner bike, people tend to buy motorcycles based on emotion rather than logic. The Low HP number may be a big turnoff (regardless of how the bike actually feels - if you could test ride a Japanese brand anyway).

I'm really curious about the real world power. My street bike is a 1986 K75 (68 HP, 500 lbs), which many feel is underpowered. It's fine for me. I am seriously considering a newer standard/sport tourer and the ones that appeal to me are the Versys, new Strom, and Tiger 800. So I was pretty excited when I saw this Honda. I've never been too concerned about peak HP. In graphical terms, I'm more concerned with the area under the whole curve, rather than the highest point.

But under 50 HP and 500 lbs?! That really does seem more like a moped. Seriously, I'm about as pedestrian as it comes, but I think the lack of power will be this bike's undoing.
IMHO, they are targeting first time new bike owners that can't afford a BMW, Tiger, Tenere, etc, or someone looking for a low cost commuter bike with decent looks. This is even $1,300 cheaper then the MSRP of a new V Strom 650. Honda isn't targeting serious Adventurer riders with this bike. They are aiming for younger people with a low budget. Also, I think it is the perfect time to release the three versions using this chassis and engine considering the lack of options of suitable standards for a first time bike owner. I know for me that the S model is on the short list of possible bikes for my wife as long as the seat height is low enough.

Finally, it's not like they devouted millions upon millions of dollars to this one specific bike since they will be selling the S model and scooter versions too. Honda will probably do pretty well with the sales figures of all three models combined.

50hp and 500 pounds? Sounds pretty good for a starter or commuter bike to me.
BossMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #640
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I wonder... what is it with the V-Strom owners and the rest of this Forum?

I mean to write... they arn't BMW riders...
So they can't be that bad...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #641
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
I wonder... what is it with the V-Strom owners and the rest of this Forum?
Well they used to be able to look down there noses at the KLR DR guys, but never really did, because they are too polite, but now they are feeling a bit chuffed because the NC came along and they have just been bumped up a notch, not that they would ever rub anyone's noses in it because they are too polite to do that.

AND there is a new Versys out there which just took the ugly prize, while the Stroms have just had a makeover.

Good time to be a V-Strom fan.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #642
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Also figure in that this could become the fashionable bike for wrenches like myself.

At the buy in price, a guy could pay retail for it and then throw another 2 or 3 grand at it in parts and come away with a very capable bike that makes no excuses except on the straights.

It's a machine full of potential for those of us who like getting our hands dirty.

Catalog flippers and hand wringers may have to wait a while til off the shelf kits are ready though.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #643
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
How much for a Strom with ABS and automatic transmission?
Quote:
I disagree on the virtues of ABS for beginners. It might save some crashes, but also give them the nasty habit of relying on it for the rest of their riding lives. A healthy caution for traction limits is much more useful.

Quote:
2) Even if it is a good beginner bike, people tend to buy motorcycles based on emotion rather than logic. The Low HP number may be a big turnoff.
Few beginners have an appreciation for the power of bigger bikes, you only know what you know. Even an EX250 feels "fast" compared to a car.
Few experianced riders seem to appreciate that they rarely ever used the power they have on tap and so spend most of their time dragging around extra displacement and valve gear.

Quote:
I'm really curious about the real world power. ...
TORQUE is real world power. It haz it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
he died of liver failure...he didn't kill himself.
Unless he drank like a fish because of his engineers, bean-counters, and whiney customers.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #644
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
@ GrahamD: Tnx for explaining it... The Vstrom-Syndrome... (Note... The Vstrom 650 isn't that bad either. The DL1000 is... )

And sorry that I infected you with my unforeseen enthusiasm about 'a new Honda adventure bike'.
And took you down with my negatism after my discovery that the bike - announced by Honda as an dual sport adventure bike - wasn't that what it was supposed to be.. . A new Africa Twin revival...

Now, this difficult task lies in front of the 17" wheel of the VFR1200X Crosstourer...
Which I hope to ride in a few weeks from now.
Unless Europe gets covered in another Ice-Age...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #645
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
[FONT=Helvetica]
Now, this difficult task lies in front of the 17" wheel of the VFR1200X Crosstourer...
Which I hope to ride in a few weeks from now.
Unless Europe gets covered in another Ice-Age...
What's with all this apology stuff?

It's an interesting bike in it's own way.

Looking forward to the Report on the CrossTourer..

It's a tough job but someone has to do it.