Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #736
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Am I the only one wondering why this thread is in "Beasts"?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=445

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #737
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
We know cug. The original 6HP difference was from the internet...

but a more detailed post followed with references (citations oooohh ) from bluesman

See that is how peer review works

This thread is full of whiney cunts because once again Honda failed to consult you on their bike designs.
Last time I checked they were still the world's #1 motorcycle producer.

I actually read about it in a print magazine, but here's a link for those whose fat ass is stuck in front of their computer:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-te...-road-test.htm
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #738
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Quote:
Back when Greg Drevenstedt tested the Mana in the February 2009 issue, he noted that the suspension wallowed when pushed hard, but in my recent experience the suspension felt firm and well controlled. This could be a result of upgraded components over the years, or the fact that Greg weighs about 200 and I’m 165. That 2009 model cranked out 56.5 horsepower and 40.9 lb-ft of torque, which is not stirring performance for a 552-pound 850.

ooooh! Bluesman, That should put a RedRocket up ya!

We have some discrepancies to whine about.

Does that mean there was a Mana 1 and the "oh shit that didn't work" Mana II?

Does this mean that next year there will be an NC700X II?

Stay tuned folk after this message from our sponsors..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 10:22 PM
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #739
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,533
I also saw it at a motorcycle show this past week and was very excited to be able to check it out in real life. The storage bin in the gas tank spot can in fact hold a size large HJC helmet with room to spare towards the top of the closure (perhaps for helmets with a visor) . The actual gas tank was accessible from the passenger seat ( the saddle is split into 2 pieces) and had a rod locking mechanism thing that kept it open until you want to close it. Not sure that this was necessary but .. .

Over all the fit and finish was typical high quality Honda, the seat hight was lower then I thought it would be, the controls both hand and foot were exactly where they should be and to be honest I think it would meet my "needs" for a second bike perfectly.

The bad news is that I also sat on a Triumph Tiger 800.

Canoli
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #740
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Agree with Canoli on both counts.

The NC700X is particularly impressive at $7k for the base model. Undercuts the Versys by a grand and has much better fit and finish.

But yes, the road version of the Tiger 800 seems about perfect for the way I use a bike.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #741
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
The NC700X Adventurer is but a year away... for this project Honda has allocated the bins of Transalp wire wheels and hand guards and soon to be overflowing bins of NT700V shaft drives - and just signed a deal with Wilbur and Brembo !
Now THAT information is interesting! I was never a fan of the current transalp, to road oriented and a bit too roundish in the design. A super frugal adventure bike with DCT... certainly and interesting prospect!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #742
dreccles
V Rider

Oddometer: 118
NC700X -vs- Aprilia

I am astounded when someone quotes 'CLAIMED" versus ACTUAL HP, LB.FT, and/or WEIGHT...
Does no one understand that CLAIMED means 'not even close to reality?

Any way.... if you get the chance, go to the bike show and sit test the NC700X, versus ANYTHING else in it's price class,,,, XR650L, KLR650, DR650, BMW G650GS, V-Strom 650. any Aprilia.

Then we will discuss the 'feel' and ACTUAL weight of these bikes. K?

The NC is without a doubt the BEST bike Honda has come out with in DECADES!

Trust me!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #743
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreccles View Post
I am astounded when someone quotes 'CLAIMED" versus ACTUAL HP, LB.FT, and/or WEIGHT...
Does no one understand that CLAIMED means 'not even close to reality?

Any way.... if you get the chance, go to the bike show and sit test the NC700X, versus ANYTHING else in it's price class,,,, XR650L, KLR650, DR650, BMW G650GS, V-Strom 650. any Aprilia.

Then we will discuss the 'feel' and ACTUAL weight of these bikes. K?

The NC is without a doubt the BEST bike Honda has come out with in DECADES!

Trust me!
I will, when I can get a seat on one, in my country,

And yes I agree about not worrying about the specs. There is more to this world than Max power at no weight.

But you can have a bit of fun talking shit in the meantime,

Don't take it so seriously.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #744
rs42sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Cool2

i can't wait to see and sit on one at the motorcycle show coming up next week at the rosemont convention center.
2009 Burgman 400 traded at 9424 miles
2007 Kymco People S 250-traded at 7860 miles
rs42sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #745
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Any way.... if you get the chance, go to the bike show and sit test the NC700X, versus ANYTHING else in it's price class,,,, XR650L, KLR650, DR650, BMW G650GS

I am completely baffled as to what would make you compare the NC700X to actual dual-sport bikes like the XRL, etc. We're talking about two completely different classes of motorcycle. Utterly useless comparison.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #746
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I am completely baffled as to what would make you compare the NC700X to actual dual-sport bikes like the XRL, etc. We're talking about two completely different classes of motorcycle. Utterly useless comparison.

--mark
+1
I am also completely baffled as to why there isn't a middle-weight dual sport twin with shaft drive on the market... Moto Guzzi and BMW managed to do it 30 years ago with the NTX 650 and R80 G/S - 'course they were'nt middle weights back then but you know what I mean.

Honda san... you're my only hope.

Crash48 screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 09:35 AM
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #747
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
so typical...let's pull 2 words from phrase and make remark

I did say somewhere earlier in tread that on first video posted on it it looks like NC walowing in the corner they showed.

It looked like the road had some dips and the rider was a little goofy.

But, here is what I thought was funny. I went in to the dealer to check out the 2012 DL650. I tell the guy I'm thinking about another bike, because my daughter might want to ride my 250.

He says, the NC700 is going to be much more off road than the weestrom. REALLY, I says, doesn't the Honda have 17" wheels? Oh yeah, but it's going to be better, all Honda has is the 650L and they want to really expand into that segment. We chat, and I ask him again, oh yeah, it's going to be better.

So, I don't know, I find it hard to believe. But for whatever reason, this guy, right now thinks the Honda will be better than the Suzuki. He's not a newbie either, he's a dirt bike rider.

My one dislike of the NC700, before I have even seen it, is that it only comes in white or black, which I don't consider colors. At least the Wee had a brown/tan kind of color that I didn't mind too much
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #748
dreccles
V Rider

Oddometer: 118
baffled as why you compare the NC700X to actual D-S

My thinking was that for the price of < $7,000 you can't buy a better bike, whether it be street, dirt, or Dual-Sport.
Understood I am thiking more dirt--or--fire-road riding than true enduro - but no one offers this type of ADV bike for the price.

If you look at ANY bike currently on the market for under $7K, it will not match the HONDA NC700X...

Check it.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #749
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
Quote:
My thinking was that for the price of < $7,000 you can't buy a better bike, whether it be street, dirt, or Dual-Sport.
Understood I am thiking more dirt--or--fire-road riding than true enduro - but no one offers this type of ADV bike for the price.

If you look at ANY bike currently on the market for under $7K, it will not match the HONDA NC700X...

Check it.
not sure i'd go that far.
any bike? there are some fine thumpers under that that will do alot more places then this bike.

plus the street price on the versys is not that far away and dealers are selling the 2012 strom for $7.5K and it has abs.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #750
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post

It looked like the road had some dips and the rider was a little goofy.

But, here is what I thought was funny. I went in to the dealer to check out the 2012 DL650. I tell the guy I'm thinking about another bike, because my daughter might want to ride my 250.

He says, the NC700 is going to be much more off road than the weestrom. REALLY, I says, doesn't the Honda have 17" wheels? Oh yeah, but it's going to be better, all Honda has is the 650L and they want to really expand into that segment. We chat, and I ask him again, oh yeah, it's going to be better.

So, I don't know, I find it hard to believe. But for whatever reason, this guy, right now thinks the Honda will be better than the Suzuki. He's not a newbie either, he's a dirt bike rider.

My one dislike of the NC700, before I have even seen it, is that it only comes in white or black, which I don't consider colors. At least the Wee had a brown/tan kind of color that I didn't mind too much
?
strom uses the standard 19" & 17" beast wheel sizes so the ADV rubber is there plus there is long established aftermarket support of engine protection parts. this bike is just about the looks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote