User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #751
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
@ Eakins...

The NC700(X) comes with ABS too. Under 7.000 . Only the DCT gearbox comes with an extra price tag - but honestly I can't imagine why some one would buy an automatic / semiautomatic motorcycle. Buy the Integra scooter in stead... ;)

About parts... Although the NC700X is a no-go for me (I would prefer a used Honda XL700V Transalp for the same price - they are indestructible) I am sure that the whole new 700 series will become popular. Maybe not in the US, but for sure as an commuter bike in dense populated (European) areas it will be.

For that purpose, I can imagine that you wont need an 300+ miles range from the fueltank...

The aftermarket industry will follow up. Soon. Including the leading brands like Touratech, Hebco & Becker and SW Motech.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #752
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
The NC700(X) comes with ABS too. Under 7.000 . Only the DCT gearbox comes with an extra price tag
Not in the US -- here if you want ABS, you have to pony up the $2000 and also get the DCT. Lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit
So, I don't know, I find it hard to believe. But for whatever reason, this guy, right now thinks the Honda will be better than the Suzuki. He's not a newbie either, he's a dirt bike rider.
He's probably been offered a commission on all NC700X sales.

If he were right, and Honda were serious about a mid-sized dual-sport/ADV bike, the NC is not what they would have produced.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #753
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
The NC700(X) comes with ABS too. Under 7.000 . Only the DCT gearbox comes with an extra price tag - but honestly I can't imagine why some one would buy an automatic / semiautomatic motorcycle.
Not in the US. Here the a**holes play the package poker again (as is so common on the US). You can get ABS only with the shitty DCT. Other than that it's a good bike as it seems. Right direction.

But it's just $6999 for the basic, $8999 for the one with ABS and DCT. A BMW G650GS, which is a more interesting bike in my opinion, comes in at $7850 including ABS. A V-Strom 650 ABS is $8299. Hell, a Street Triple is just $8899, though granted - no ABS on that one.

The price for this bike in the US with ABS (and the scooter transmission) is just ridiculously high in comparison with some other bikes. Likely that it will sell as great as the VFR1200 ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #754
edgey999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
This is a copy of a post I made elsewhere recently about the NC700XA. I am picking up my new bike tomorrow (snow and ice allowing) and will happily post my experience of owning an NC700XA if any one is remotely interested

Hi

Background: I am a soon to be 50 year old bloke who passed his test on an RD250E and went and purchased a RD350LC not long after. I have owned in the past 5 years a ZX10R, Fireblade, Gixxer 1000, 1098S, R1200GS, Transalp, Pan European 1300, Dullville 700 etc. I had 9 pts on my licence at one point due in part my childish behaviour on sports bikes and the ever present Welsh Police hence the move away from big sports machines to more sensible (dull) bikes. I also now have to commute to work and use a bike for work due in part to parking problems for cars.

I recently purchased a 2011 ER6F primarily on the strength of reviews from MCN and owners forums because of its apparent economy and fun factor. I can honestly say it is the worst bike I have ever owned in 30 years of riding. Ridiculously hard suspension, strange handling, average fuel consumption, awful dash, hatefull gearbox and asthmatic engine. I went back to the dealer I had it from with a view to getting a second hand Deauville 700 (dull but great commuter and work horse). Dealer said he has a great bike that would suit my needs, the NC700XA. Had a look, looked good. Can i take it out, yes sir no problem.

Testride: I took it out for a test that included a short motorway hop, heavy traffic and an A road blast. It was bloody cold but dry. First impressions were, what a wierd engine. Felt like driving my wifes diesal car. Loads of tourque and then runs out of revs. It did however feel quick for such a heavy and low powered bike, certainly quicker than a Dullville. It has a great riding position sort of like a trail bike but with road bike handling. Took it up to 90 on the motorway without problem, and would never go much faster than that now due to the rozzers. Filtering was excellent, really high up, commanding riding position. Seat is a little slippery but no real problem. Loads of punch when looking for little gaps in traffic. A road was fine, suspension OK over pot holes and poor surfaces. A little bouncy but again not a deal breaker. Good overtaking punch at normal roadspeeds. Instruments are clear, but could do with a gear indicator. Gearbox is a little clunky but not horrible (like the ER6). Handles well on A road at normal (70ish) speeds. Get back to dealers with big smile on my face.

Keep the ER6, keep the Dullville I am having one of these. Ordered there and then. Pick it up Monday (Only slight disapointment is no white available so had Red) with heated grips and Touring Scottoiler.

NOTE: Insurance has beed a nightmare. Only 2 companys will quote at moment due to lack of ABI rating (Aviva and Honda). Probably be sorted in next month or so.Insurance was 187 Comp, PNCB, Class 1 business use, 200 xs. Dullville would have been 100 for same cover.

In short this is a good bike IF you are looking for an economical, comfortable, torquey, very well built, slightly unusual looking, cheap to buy (but not insure lol) and fun to ride. I can honestly say this is the first time in a long time I have been genuinely excited about riding a bike for a long time.

By way of update the NC700X will not accomodate the V Scottoiler. It is (according to Honda) to do with the design of the engine that there is no vacuum point.

Overall, very good bike. Dont knock it till you try it, like so many things in life lol
edgey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #755
mojojojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
This is sure to be a bike squids, pirates and weekend warriors will criticize, and develop a dedicated cult following by serious year round, all weather riders.
You also just described this bikes grandfather, the Pacific Coast 800.
mojojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #756
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,519
as others have said, Honda NA screwed up (they are very good at that) again by not offering ABS as an option w/ standard transmission.

one large potential market for this bike is the beginner motorcycle market and that riders is buying ABS but still wants to shift.

...you just love all things Honda. we know that by know.
i was Rema was still around. you 2 could argue honda vrs yamaha to no end :-)

Quote:
@ Eakins...

The NC700(X) comes with ABS too. Under 7.000 €. Only the DCT gearbox comes with an extra price tag - but honestly I can't imagine why some one would buy an automatic / semiautomatic motorcycle. Buy the Integra scooter in stead... ;)

About parts... Although the NC700X is a no-go for me (I would prefer a used Honda XL700V Transalp for the same price - they are indestructible) I am sure that the whole new 700 series will become popular. Maybe not in the US, but for sure as an commuter bike in dense populated (European) areas it will be.

For that purpose, I can imagine that you wont need an 300+ miles range from the fueltank...

The aftermarket industry will follow up. Soon. Including the leading brands like Touratech, Hebco & Becker and SW Motech.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 11:24 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #757
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The NC700X is particularly impressive at $7k for the base model. Undercuts the Versys by a grand and has much better fit and finish.
I wonder if there will actually be a $7k base model on any showroom floors this summer... the link below lists all the accessories for this bike - I suspect dealers will have to take what Honda sends them so expect to see 'optioned' bikes with price tags at $7,800 and up. The old bait and switch might be back with a vengence for this model !

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc...s-gallery.aspx
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #758
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
the link below lists all the accessories for this bike - I suspect dealers will have to take what Honda sends them so expect to see 'optioned' bikes with price tags at $7,800 and up.
Those are all dealer-installed, not factory-installed, so I doubt it will be an issue.

That said, if it came with a centerstand, heated grips and a 12V outlet I probably wouldn't throw a fit.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #759
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
I wonder if there will actually be a $7k base model on any showroom floors this summer... the link below lists all the accessories for this bike - I suspect dealers will have to take what Honda sends them so expect to see 'optioned' bikes with price tags at $7,800 and up. The old bait and switch might be back with a vengence for this model !

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc...s-gallery.aspx
That sounds very European. I don't think Honda has ever done that.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #760
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo View Post
You also just described this bikes grandfather, the Pacific Coast 800.
You say it like it's a bad thing. But it's been what - 12 years since they stopped making PC800? It's about time they brought in another model that would fill the same niche. Because that niche is there. Perhaps it is bigger in Europe, perhaps it is largely filled by scooters at this point in time, but it definitely exists.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #761
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Wandered around the Minneapolis bike show this evening and came across the new Honda. Cosmetics and styling caught my eye but sitting on the bike and working the suspension certainly showed that it was entry level. Over-all would be a nice bike for the purpose. My girlfriend threw a leg over for a photo and then told me she still prefers her Husqvarna SM630.. glad now that I don't have to buy a supermoto wheel set for my TE630 since the SM will still be in the garage. I think this bike will sell well, especially for $6995.

With all due respect... Your girlfriend's "cosmetics and styling" caught my eye.

You're a lucky man! You have TWO great rides.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #762
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
as others have said, Honda NA screwed up (they are very good at that) again by not offering ABS as an option w/ standard transmission.

one large potential market for this bike is the beginner motorcycle market and that riders is buying ABS but still wants to shift.

What makes an old guy like you so sure? Most people under 30 have never touched a manual shift lever in a car.
This bike is obviously not aimed at you.
At least you're not comparing the NC's MSRP to discounted prices of other bikes again.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #763
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
What makes an old guy like you so sure? Most people under 30 have never touched a manual shift lever in a car.
This bike is obviously not aimed at you.
At least you're not comparing the NC's MSRP to discounted prices of other bikes again.
is 42 the new old?

on that note, the scooter crowd wants nothing to do with chains, but the motorcycle crowd kinda likes abs. honda na should have had 3 models, one w/ manual box and abs.
honda's decision will sure help sell more 2012 vstroms. ever wonder why bmw sells so many bikes???
ABS

i know many people of all ages who don't shift cars now and for some never did, yet they ride motorcycles, gear boxes and all.

i'll give ya it was not targeted me, but it could be a great choice for my wife...if it had abs.
i'll also give ya the discounted point as dealers will go lower on the nc too.

edit: i understand know your horse in this race. you sell hondas. fair enough.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 09:01 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #764
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

edit: i understand know your horse in this race. you sell hondas. fair enough.

Sorry, I don't have a horse in this race. I sell Honda CARS right now, but it's not like I'm totally devoted to them, and I'd switch brands if a better opportunity came along.

I'll say that I prefer to buy my bikes used but have bought new ones in the past. Frankly if I had up to $ 15K to burn on a bike my first choice would probably be an 800 Tiger. Hell, maybe my next bike will be a used Buell.

I've owned various (lot's of) Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas, and even a Harley Davidson. I've also ridden, but not yet found enough desire to own a Ducati, BMW, Triumph, Buell, or Moto Guzzi. I ride street, and dirt. I'm not stuck on one brand or another, I love V-stroms and think they're great (yet hideously ugly) bikes.
I like all kinds of bikes.

I find this bike attractive because of it's 1) price 2) riding position 3) built in storage space 4) fuel economy. I've owned bikes that get mpg in the 30's and I think that's pretty poor and bikes should be able to do better.

$ 6999 is CHEAP for a new 700, and I admire the fact that it's waaaay cheaper than any bike that I see as being in it's class. When looking at a new bike for $ 7000, an additional $ 1000 is alot of money.
Over the past few years it's seemed like Honda has been rather full of themselves, and has been pricing it's bikes too high so I see this as a refreshing change for them.
I think Honda should've put a shaft drive on the NC, but I'd guess the reason they didn't was due to cost so I can understand it. I wouldn't have minded it they used a belt drive, though I'm still a little bit suspect of them.
I could care less about an automatic transmission, but while selling cars I find that manual shifting is lost art, most people don't know how, and have no desire to work a clutch pedal. I wouldn't mind ABS, but it's not a deal breaker for me either way, and I think the majority of riders feel the same as I do about it. Why did Honda bundle them together? For the same reason that they only brought one of 3 of the NC's over here, because of cost in this is a finicky market, where the biggest volume sales are in cruisers, and sport bikes

This bike is also cheap compared to it's competition. Face it- it's quite a bit less than a Strom or Versys, and you don't need to buy a top box for it which saves another $ 400+. I just find it annoying and unfair that you compare this bike's MSRP to other bikes at discounted, or used prices. This bike will show up on the used market pretty quickly just like all the others, and dealers will discount them too.

Sure, Honda used the word ADVENTURE in describing it, but riding any motorcycle can be considered an adventure compared to a car. Realistically most BMW GS's never get off pavement either, though I know you can do it and a number of people do, I've ridden dirt with them. The NC is not an off-road oriented bike, it's a street bike and we all know that, it's wheel size shows it, yet I've ridden a VFR on dirt roads, and even off-road (accidentally) so you could do it with this one too, just as well as you could with a Versys, etc.

Everything in life, and motorcycles is a trade off. Yeah, it's lacking in top end power compared to a DL650, but in all honesty every motorcycle can go too fast and will out-accelerate most cars. In the case of this bike it makes up for it with what seems to the equivalent of better fuel economy.

It's obvious to us all here that this bike is not for you. Sorry that they didn't build it to your desired specs, and it's not necessarily built to my desires either, I'm just glad that it's going to be available, and I hope it sells well. Maybe if it does they'll expand on it's available specs.

Oh, and it turns out I'm even closer to being an old fart than you are, but you just seem to come across as one in this thread.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #765
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgey999 View Post
This is a copy of a post I made elsewhere recently about the NC700XA. I am picking up my new bike tomorrow (snow and ice allowing) and will happily post my experience of owning an NC700XA if any one is remotely interested

Hi

Background: I am a soon to be 50 year old bloke who passed his test on an RD250E and went and purchased a RD350LC not long after. I have owned in the past 5 years a ZX10R, Fireblade, Gixxer 1000, 1098S, R1200GS, Transalp, Pan European 1300, Dullville 700 etc. I had 9 pts on my licence at one point due in part my childish behaviour on sports bikes and the ever present Welsh Police hence the move away from big sports machines to more sensible (dull) bikes. I also now have to commute to work and use a bike for work due in part to parking problems for cars.

I recently purchased a 2011 ER6F primarily on the strength of reviews from MCN and owners forums because of its apparent economy and fun factor. I can honestly say it is the worst bike I have ever owned in 30 years of riding. Ridiculously hard suspension, strange handling, average fuel consumption, awful dash, hatefull gearbox and asthmatic engine. I went back to the dealer I had it from with a view to getting a second hand Deauville 700 (dull but great commuter and work horse). Dealer said he has a great bike that would suit my needs, the NC700XA. Had a look, looked good. Can i take it out, yes sir no problem.

Testride: I took it out for a test that included a short motorway hop, heavy traffic and an A road blast. It was bloody cold but dry. First impressions were, what a wierd engine. Felt like driving my wifes diesal car. Loads of tourque and then runs out of revs. It did however feel quick for such a heavy and low powered bike, certainly quicker than a Dullville. It has a great riding position sort of like a trail bike but with road bike handling. Took it up to 90 on the motorway without problem, and would never go much faster than that now due to the rozzers. Filtering was excellent, really high up, commanding riding position. Seat is a little slippery but no real problem. Loads of punch when looking for little gaps in traffic. A road was fine, suspension OK over pot holes and poor surfaces. A little bouncy but again not a deal breaker. Good overtaking punch at normal roadspeeds. Instruments are clear, but could do with a gear indicator. Gearbox is a little clunky but not horrible (like the ER6). Handles well on A road at normal (70ish) speeds. Get back to dealers with big smile on my face.

Keep the ER6, keep the Dullville I am having one of these. Ordered there and then. Pick it up Monday (Only slight disapointment is no white available so had Red) with heated grips and Touring Scottoiler.

NOTE: Insurance has beed a nightmare. Only 2 companys will quote at moment due to lack of ABI rating (Aviva and Honda). Probably be sorted in next month or so.Insurance was 187 Comp, PNCB, Class 1 business use, 200 xs. Dullville would have been 100 for same cover.

In short this is a good bike IF you are looking for an economical, comfortable, torquey, very well built, slightly unusual looking, cheap to buy (but not insure lol) and fun to ride. I can honestly say this is the first time in a long time I have been genuinely excited about riding a bike for a long time.

By way of update the NC700X will not accomodate the V Scottoiler. It is (according to Honda) to do with the design of the engine that there is no vacuum point.

Overall, very good bike. Dont knock it till you try it, like so many things in life lol

Hi edgy999.

Looking forward to your review of the NC700X.... if you could give your opinion of how it handlesrides/pulls 2up passenger seat comfort etc, would be appreciated. I know the score in Wales yep, watch out for the rozzers mate.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote