Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #856
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
But most difficult is when you get on any form of loose ground. It's just too difficult to have no clutch control.
Just a thought, but when you are on loose ground how fast are you going? Are you in second gear? Isn't neutral just a finger flick away? I know that's certainly not the equivalent of squeezing a clutch lever, but is it possibly a help?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #857
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I don't care for anything automatic, as I like to do my own shifting. Of course the VFR1200 was tested as 10.2 in the quarter mile in manual mode, 11.7 in dual clutch. To me I don't care to lose that much performance just so I can relax my left hand, have 10x more complexity and problems as an unwanted side effect too.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #858
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Yeah, FJR and Mana do nothing for me. And I can't see DCT on a dual-sport (as if this NC was a DS). But DCT makes a whole lot more sense than these other kinds of automatics, especially brain-dead mile-munching.

Here's how viffer works: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/115/7298/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Honda-VFR1200F-DCT-First-Ride.aspx

I'd still be curious to see how NC DCT works. Not sure I'd want it. But not sure I wouldn't, either.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #859
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Why? Since when does the population FLOCK to a new piece of technology ( other than the iphone?) Things like this always start slowly, especially considering the extra expense.
That's the point. Automatic transmission on a motorcycle isn't something new. Maybe semi-automatic is, but in the field, it just acts the same.

See also: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371334

Honda did it again. Back in 1981... ;) And again, not a big seller.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #860
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
I had a chance to see one and sit on it at the Chicago International Motorcycle Show this weekend. Looks like it was built on a tight budget and wasn't very comfy to sit on , but I'm 6'3" , so to find a comfy stock bike for me it's a challenge. Super Tenere with the seat in high position fits me great straight out the box though . On the NC700 I felt cramped up especially my knees. Fit and finish ,plastics and all seemed pretty cheap and in person the bike looks pretty blah...bummer .Seems like a ladies bike , just my opinion no bashing
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #861
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
That's the point. Automatic transmission on a motorcycle isn't something new. Maybe semi-automatic is, but in the field, it just acts the same.

Honda did it again. Back in 1981... ;) And again, not a big seller.

Sure, but the population is aging and there is likely more a need today for some people. In addition, back when they tried it in the early 80's they were 2 speed transmissions. Chevy no longer makes the Powerglide either.
The technology is far better today, and I don't imagine that auto trans bikes will ever take 50% of the market. I don't even have any desire for one myself at this time, but I can see the need or desire for them to be available.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #862
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
and in person the bike looks pretty blah...bummer .
I'm honestly having trouble seeing how this is all that much different from an NT. And I'm not bashing, either -- they both appeal to me. Seems like the NC would need farkles to tour, and the NT isn't so much of a commuter. But they got a lot in common. And the 2012 Wee seems to have developed a smug grin (certainly if anyone is thinking "dual-sport").
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #863
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1 View Post
And the 2012 Wee seems to have developed a smug grin.
Well they have spent 10 years earning it I suppose.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #864
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
maybe not flock to, but atleast gain sales and increase each year.
that shows people want something.
the FJR-A was dropped for a reason, no one wanted it.
the Manas are not flying of the shelf either.

Forgive a stupid question, but what is a "Mana"?
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #865
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
The Mana is the Aprilia MANA GT. I had one for about 23 months, put a bit over 46K miles on it. Good commuter/utility bike. I realize most people perfer to shift but I really liked the CVT. A lot depends on what you use your bike for and the roads you travel on. Having the CVT makes it much easier for example to go through security check points that require you to show an ID. I have forearm pockets on my riding jacket and very easy to pull ID out while approaching the check point and passing ID to the guard. And if you have ever been stuck in interstate traffic that is moving at 3-5 MPH a CVT sure beats holding your clutch lever in for miles. The front storage which opens to the front is the one feature that I miss the most. Allows you to go through fast food drive throughs, great place for Gatorade for when it's 100+ degrees and interstate traffic is stalled. Or good place to put money for toll booths. If commuter/utility use of motorcycles was more common I think you would see this feature on more motorcycles.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #866
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
that's where environmental difference comes to play again.

To post higher in the tread - NT Deauville is quite popular commuter here, and NTV650 even more (naked bike). But commuter or city traffic beater - 2 different things here. Commuter usually means transportation from town/village where you live to work using often highway. Streets are very narrow, curvy and often badly paved.

To traffic filtering - here nobody crawls in traffic, people are quite mad and just lane splitting like crazy. I catched myself too at it - 2nd gear on VTR1000F with occasional bursts up to 130-150 kmph. Dumb, I know. But it is reality.

Even in Germany last time I visited I was lane splitting along with whole bunch of german riders. Which was impossible to see some years ago. In some of countries it was already legalized.

Just for some international prospective. I guess priorities can be different. One priority here - agility and narrow profile here along with toughness of bike when dropped, another one - enough engine pull and active response, to drive aggressively.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #867
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1 View Post
I'm honestly having trouble seeing how this is all that much different from an NT. And I'm not bashing, either -- they both appeal to me. Seems like the NC would need farkles to tour, and the NT isn't so much of a commuter. But they got a lot in common. And the 2012 Wee seems to have developed a smug grin (certainly if anyone is thinking "dual-sport").
You got the nail straight on the head with NT comparo . I haven't even thought about it being as the upgrade and sort of extension for the aging Deauville , but now I see that's exactly what it is.
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #868
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 711
^ Well, I don't know but one entry has a note- 2 up on highway, windy, which returned 65 mpg US. I wonder how low it will go, for some people, less than 50? I wonder if I could get 60 mpg on that. I think it looks like a great bike.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/serfiesa/nc700x

Here is a video of a slip on..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKAIvpTyqI

and a just, kind of nice road trip one-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX7I15Fkpd0
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #869
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
If it will get me 60+ mpg running 70-75 on the interstate, it would definitely put me closer to buying one. If it fits me, knee/Butt Comfort will also determine if I buy it.

I read one article http://ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

“Honda says it achieves 80mpg on the standard motorcycle cycle, and why on my own test, which included some flat out riding (indicated top speed is 115mph, 185kph), back-and-forth photo shoots, fast cruising and a general mix taking no account of economy, it still managed 64mpg (22.7km/l, 4.41l/100km, 53mpg US).”

I also know how inaccurate speedometer's are on some of these bikes.

I think most manufacturers make their vehicles speedometers inaccurate to fool people about fuel mileage.

I have a friend that claims his 1200 GW gets 52mpg consistently, and when we ride together our bikes use about the same amount of fuel.

I have to ride very very easy to get 47 mpg and with the alcohol in the fuel nowadays, any headwind will kill that mpg.

If it can get 53mpg with the way Ash rode it, it should hit 60+ mpg on the interstate running the speed limit.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #870
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
I think most manufacturers make their vehicles speedometers inaccurate to fool people about fuel mileage.
They make them "optimistic" so people can't sue them for getting speeding tickets. Differing tires and final drive ratios for different markets also plays a part.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote