Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #871
rs42sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
I had a chance to see one and sit on it at the Chicago International Motorcycle Show this weekend. Looks like it was built on a tight budget and wasn't very comfy to sit on , but I'm 6'3" , so to find a comfy stock bike for me it's a challenge. Super Tenere with the seat in high position fits me great straight out the box though . On the NC700 I felt cramped up especially my knees. Fit and finish ,plastics and all seemed pretty cheap and in person the bike looks pretty blah...bummer .Seems like a ladies bike , just my opinion no bashing
i sat on it too it was different to say the least but for me sitting on it and riding it are always different for me... Im 6'6" and when i find the pic of me sitting on it ill post it up....
2009 Burgman 400 traded at 9424 miles
2007 Kymco People S 250-traded at 7860 miles
rs42sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #872
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I have heard that a lot and don't buy it for a second.
I checked my Step Dad's GM vehicles, there dead nuts accurate.
My Dodge,VW, Ford and Toyota are all off.
If GM can do it I guarantee everyone else can.
Heck My GW is 5 Mph slow at 70. I bet Honda wasn't thinking of a ticket there.
Its not that hard to get the correct mph with O.E.M tires.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #873
Fredicchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
FYI
On this French forum : http://nc700.creationforum.net/
You have riders who bought the bike in January, and one in particular rode already 2,600km with it. His review is very positive and his fuel consumption varies between 3,5L/100km and 3,7L/100km, which equals to 67 MPG (US).

Another guy tested the bike for a full day and did 500km with it : his review is very positive too, with an even better fuel consumption of 3,37L/100km, which means 70 MPG (US), only on mountain roads.

That's the fuel consumption I get from my 250cc !
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #874
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
I have heard that a lot and don't buy it for a second.
I checked my Step Dad's GM vehicles, there dead nuts accurate.
My Dodge,VW, Ford and Toyota are all off.
If GM can do it I guarantee everyone else can.
Heck My GW is 5 Mph slow at 70. I bet Honda wasn't thinking of a ticket there.
Its not that hard to get the correct mph with O.E.M tires.
My 2010 Chevy work truck is off the most out of all the vehicles I currently drive so GM isn't that great. My Dodge 1500 is the only vehicle I have that is dead on.

It frustrates me how much bikes can be off.
BossMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #875
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
My 2010 Chevy work truck is off the most out of all the vehicles I currently drive so GM isn't that great. My Dodge 1500 is the only vehicle I have that is dead on.

It frustrates me how much bikes can be off.
My TW 200 isn't any better accuracy wise.
I guess quality control sucks across the board huh? Thats why I will stay with my GPS.
My pos Dodge's speedo quit working at 235,865 miles! I would bet it has well over 600,000 miles on it by now.
Yep,Gps in the old Dodge! As you can see I get the goody out of my vehicles. If a NC700 follows me home, it wont be worth $100.00 when i sell it.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #876
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredicchino View Post
FYI
On this French forum : http://nc700.creationforum.net/
You have riders who bought the bike in January, and one in particular rode already 2,600km with it. His review is very positive and his fuel consumption varies between 3,5L/100km and 3,7L/100km, which equals to 67 MPG (US).

Another guy tested the bike for a full day and did 500km with it : his review is very positive too, with an even better fuel consumption of 3,37L/100km, which means 70 MPG (US), only on mountain roads.

That's the fuel consumption I get from my 250cc !
Yep. And with fuel prices increasing and all the saber rattling with Iran, you'll probably see a lot of those bikes fly off the floor for msrp or above (+ dealer b/s fees, naturally).

Honda will probably sell everyone of these that they can make for the model year, just because of the mpg alone.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #877
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Yep. This might be one dart that actually hits the bullseye.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #878
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Ahm...I doubt it for Europe.

Check out. There is no consistency actually except one fact - 125 cc scooters cheap insurance, low consumption and practicality still there. Generally sales badly down, but at same time according to Mike 1000+ cc bikes sales grew by 5.6%

#
Model Units
Yamaha 125 Xmax 8033
Honda PCX 125 5486
Kawasaki Z750 4654
Yamaha XJ600 3982
Honda CB600F 3660
Kawasaki ER-6 3556
Yamaha 500 Tmax 3555
Yamaha FZ8 3336
Piaggio X Evo 125 3216
Suzuki 125 Burgman 3080
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #879
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep. And with fuel prices increasing and all the saber rattling with Iran, you'll probably see a lot of those bikes fly off the floor for msrp or above (+ dealer b/s fees, naturally).

Honda will probably sell everyone of these that they can make for the model year, just because of the mpg alone.
I doubt it.
70mpg vs 50 mpg over 10,000 miles at a $5/gallon gas, is a savings of $285. $285 over 10,000 miles, if someone is looking to save that small an amount they aren't going to be buying a new bike at 7k. I think most people would rather spend the extra gas to have a bike with more hp, or better suspension. Or spend less on a scooter and save the buy-in cost.
Some people will buy this bike and love it. But they are gonna be left-over bargains specials.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #880
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
So why is everybody so aflutter about this bike's "amazing" mpg numbers?

I did a quick count on fuelly and found at least 8 guys with BMW F800ST's with over 60 mpg (US) averages, and a few over that, including this guy http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bicycleboy/f800st who has a best tank recorded of almost 75 mpg (74.9) and an average of 65.6

The best of that 700X linked was 75.2 and its average is 69.3

All this hoopla over a best tank 0.3 difference and an average 3.7 mpg better?

Please note; I am *not* slagging the Honda, and I am not saying the beemer is God's gift, but so much has been said about this bike being specifically designed from the ground up with mpg in mind, excuses being made for it's low hp, low redline, "you have to think of riding it differently", etc., etc., that quite frankly, I'm not understanding why it is being so talked about as something really special.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #881
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
Two flop predictions, fair enough. But I think this bike is going to turn it around. The NC has nothing to do with the PC or NT bikes, it has a totally new frame and motor. You look at that frame and I say this thing is going to honk around corners, in a very fun, leaned over kind of way.

I like that it has a low buy in with factory accessories you can add as you go.

For gas mileage I go by the distance you would have to walk between the two bikes- 20 miles is a long way to walk. But, if you consider a ten year period, the $2850 difference is significant. If gas were $10, then $5700 would be almost the cost of the bike itself! Do you really know how much gas is going to cost in ten years?

We will see who buys it and why. I have no doubt the will love it- which is what it is all about.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #882
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
>BMW F800ST's
I see a bike that is 45-55mpg US
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #883
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,950
That Honda is cool.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #884
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
So why is everybody so aflutter about this bike's "amazing" mpg numbers?

I did a quick count on fuelly and found at least 8 guys with BMW F800ST's with over 60 mpg (US) averages, and a few over that, including this guy http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bicycleboy/f800st who has a best tank recorded of almost 75 mpg (74.9) and an average of 65.6

The best of that 700X linked was 75.2 and its average is 69.3

All this hoopla over a best tank 0.3 difference and an average 3.7 mpg better?

Please note; I am *not* slagging the Honda, and I am not saying the beemer is God's gift, but so much has been said about this bike being specifically designed from the ground up with mpg in mind, excuses being made for it's low hp, low redline, "you have to think of riding it differently", etc., etc., that quite frankly, I'm not understanding why it is being so talked about as something really special.
I get what you guys are saying. I do.
But, I've worked in the retail end of the industry as well as the PR segment.
People buy bikes for ludicrous reasons that don't work on a calculator. The roundel, as good of a bike as the 800 is, scares away budget minded consumers. The big red logo, well, people connect it with reliability and economy of cars like the Accord and Civic.
You guys are using a calculator to try and add something non-numerical up to get a sensible decision making digit.
You're doing it wrong.

Harley has been selling what you guys would call senseless decisions for a long time. And they rule the market with those irrational beasts. So, put your calculator down and think of it in human terms.

Honda will cash in on all the chicken littles that want to buy a bike to save money, the cheap old men who watched their 401k deflate, and the students who can handle a $100 bucks a month payment on a promo deal til they graduate and get a real job. That's three powerful market segments aimed right at where the NC700 is parked.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #885
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Honda will cash in on all the chicken littles that want to buy a bike to save money, the cheap old men who watched their 401k deflate, and the students who can handle a $100 bucks a month payment on a promo deal til they graduate and get a real job. That's three powerful market segments aimed right at where the NC700 is parked.
Remove anybody north of the sun belt
Remove anyone who has to, even once in a blue moon, pick up their kid from daycare.
Remove most women (statistically, fewer of them ride)
Remove young men with big egos (this bike is not for them)

And you are left with the seven people in the USA that will buy this thing. Four guys in California, an old dude in Arizona, a nerd in Houston, and a chick in Miami.

I think it is a fantastic piece of engineering and probably a pretty nice bike, but I don't think Honda built the next iPad - something people didn't know they needed. Unless they build a massive marketing campaign around it, it won't sell in significant numbers.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote