Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #976
edgey999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
Edgey999 Thanks for all the information about this bike.
Have you checked the speedometer and odometer against a GPS?
I have a Honda GL1200 and a Yamaha TW200 and there speedometers and odometers are off quite a bit.
Mileage computers seem to gain a few MPG compared to pen and paper also.
Could you compare you mileage against a GPS?
Also do you know how many watts/amps the stator puts out?
I do like my heated clothing on those 20º Fahrenheit mornings.
Thanks!
Hi

I have no idea about GPS, i always work MPG out by fuel in against miles covered. NC doesnt have a fuel computer anyway.

I have no idea what the stator puts out (nothing in the handbook). Its enough to power the lights and a set of heated grips if that helps.
edgey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #977
KnasH
Pro Viffer

Oddometer: 3
So I haven't really studied them side by side, but it kinda looks like Honda is offering two VERY similar bikes in this new NC700X and the NT700V (talk about confusing nomenclature...).

- Both are just under 700cc
- The NT has a 5.2 gal tank VS the NC's 3,7 gal. BUT the NC gets much better milage, right?
- The NT comes standard w/ ABS
- NT has built in saddlebags, NC has built in storage under the tank.
- NT is more sport tour-y? I guess?
- NT is fugly, NC is not.

The biggest difference appears to be price. The base NC700X is $7k, where the NT700V is $11,200.

Who in there right mind would get the NT?!?! Am I missing something?

That being said, I LOVE this NC700X. I never thought I'd by a new bike, but here I am thinking about it. It's just so damn practical. The NC + a sport bike powerhouse (VFR800 which I already have? maybe a GSXR750?) would be a blissful garage for me!
KnasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #978
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi all,
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The only negative I would say was there didn’t appear to be a great deal of engine breaking, meaning if it were fitted in an ADVenture version then the brakes would need using more.......
Was this the automatic?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #979
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Hmmm, this is an interesting thread

I'm thinking that the mpg figures - as borne out by edg - are accurate, but whether that's by super-Honda design or (as bluesman suggests) by simply removing the Fun Button (revs) I guess is the debate.

Honda's research showed that most bike riders are at 6k or below rpm, and at less than 80mph for 90% of the time? That sounds true too, but I guess the times that are over 6k and over 80mph might be the most memorable you ever have on your motorcycle. It's not the frequency, it's the intensity, and the context.

So, maybe, only maybe, to 'enjoy' the NCX you have to have another hobby, or bike, to raise the goose-bumps on your arm. This doesn't make the NCX a bad bike, or wrong, but it makes it a tool for a very specific use.

And maybe that's why those of us who wanted a Transalp upgrade were disappointed.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #980
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnasH View Post
But completely different engines and powertrains.

Quote:
Neither can be described as "sporty", not its role. NT is more toury. NC is more... commutee.

Quote:
Looks are subjective. I think the NT looks more... traditional, while the NC is pretentious and confused.

Quote:
The biggest difference appears to be price. The base NC700X is $7k, where the NT700V is $11,200.
NT has ABS, shaft drive, and (slightly) higher spec suspension. Plus all the tupperware.

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #981
Fredicchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
So, maybe, only maybe, to 'enjoy' the NCX you have to have another hobby, or bike, to raise the goose-bumps on your arm. This doesn't make the NCX a bad bike, or wrong, but it makes it a tool for a very specific use.
I tend to agree on this.
I can see very well myself owning a NC700X for commuting and also long-distance traveling with the hard luggage (10,000km+ kind of travels).
Why : because I want an economic and reliable bike with good luggage to travel and a "trail-like" riding position, not a sport bike.

But in my garage, it would not be the only one, there'll be room for the fun and pretty bike, the one which raise goose-bumps : the Triumph Thruxton....
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #982
KnasH
Pro Viffer

Haha I guess I did get a little opinion-y (especially with the "fugly" comment), but I think my point still holds up: if Joe motorcycle-buyer walks into his local honda dealer and sees these two bikes side by side, and then looks at the price tags, he's going to be pretty confused. "Are the motorcycles related? They use the same engine, right? Why is this one more expensive?" The sales dudes are going to do quite a bit of explain'n.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #983
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Hmmm, this is an interesting thread

I'm thinking that the mpg figures - as borne out by edg - are accurate, but whether that's by super-Honda design or (as bluesman suggests) by simply removing the Fun Button (revs) I guess is the debate.

Honda's research showed that most bike riders are at 6k or below rpm, and at less than 80mph for 90% of the time? That sounds true too, but I guess the times that are over 6k and over 80mph might be the most memorable you ever have on your motorcycle. It's not the frequency, it's the intensity, and the context.

And maybe that's why those of us who wanted a Transalp upgrade were disappointed.
This is PRECISELY what I was thinking too. Spot on.
At the end of the day I do have in my garage 2 bikes. One "do it all" hard as nails DR and one "go bonkers" VTR1000F. And I must admit, when I have blast on VTR it just gives me "good" goose bumps. It is not redline rocket, but 1000 cc 90 degrees twin at 6500 rpms in 2nd = controlled wheelie, so much pull power. It is a head rush I don't want to give up. I just wish that Honda keep making both - rocket and a train, and not trying to convert all to train. Or all to rockets for that matter.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #984
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,476
Why do you suppose so many people assume that the NT and NC have the same engine???

(THEY DON'T)
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #985
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Why do you suppose so many people assume that the NT and NC have the same engine???

(THEY DON'T)
Same reason they thought "Every Breath You Take" was a love song.

Folks is just ignant.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #986
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
So I haven't really studied them side by side, but it kinda looks like Honda is offering two VERY similar bikes in this new NC700X and the NT700V (talk about confusing nomenclature...).

- The NT has a 5.2 gal tank VS the NC's 3,7 gal. BUT the NC gets much better milage, right?
- The NT comes standard w/ ABS
- NT has built in saddlebags, NC has built in storage under the tank.

That being said, I LOVE this NC700X. I never thought I'd by a new bike, but here I am thinking about it. It's just so damn practical. The NC + a sport bike powerhouse (VFR800 which I already have? maybe a GSXR750?) would be a blissful garage for me!
good question - but I don't think you are doing the NT justice. It's got shaft drive and much better wind protection. It can be had for a lot less than MSRP, and by the time you add luggage to the NX, the prices will not be that far apart. Plus the NX will have to have luggage mounting hardware on it that will affect the styling. I guess most people would agree with your "fugly" comment, but the NT has a bit of a cult following and may become sought after over time, much like the PC has.

I think if I was going to hop on one of these and head for the other coast, I would choose the NT.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #987
KnasH
Pro Viffer

I just think that the model names are going to cause confusion for your average consumer who walks in the dealer. Even if you did do some research before you went into the dealer and compared the bikes on honda's website, I'm not sure you'd be able able to decifer that they are two totally different power trains, since Honda doesn't list power or torque ratings on they're website. It just says "680cc V-twin" (NT) and "670cc Parallel Twin" (NC).

It'd kind of be like if you walked into a BMW dealer and saw a 325i and a 325xi on the lot, but the 325i has a sticker of $35,000 and the 325xi has a sticker of $50,000. Even if the 325xi has a more powerful, torque-ier engine and a slightly cushier interior, the average consumer is going to be pretty confused by the model numbers being SO similar and be immediately turned off by what what they perceive to be a $15,000 premium for all wheel drive.

As you can see, this naming thing makes me rend my garments and scream "WHY!?!?" to the heavens. It makes my inner marketing major weep.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #988
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I hate to break it to you, but YOU are an average consumer too. Other people can use the internet and read magazines just like you can and can figure it out as well.

Perhaps Honda did a focus group and found that nomenclatures that started with "Nnnnn" sounded reliable and efficient? Just like Rrrrs, Xes, and Zeds sounds sexy and exciting to adolescent males with excesses of testosterone...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #989
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
I just think that the model names are going to cause confusion for your average consumer who walks in the dealer.
Yeah, Honda should follow Kawasaki's example and name every model in their line-up Ninja. All those pesky letters and numbers, they are so confusing for poor Joe Average.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #990
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Yeah, Honda should follow Kawasaki's example and name every model in their line-up Ninja. All those pesky letters and numbers, they are so confusing for poor Joe Average.
EX: parallel twin
ZX: inline four

it doesn't get much simpler
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote