User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #76
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Nobody Dreams of Playing AAA Baseball

I'm not a big fan of this author as his writing skills make him hard to read. But he wrote an interesting piece in SpeedTV.com the other day that introduces a new spin on the problems facing AMA Pro Racing.

Like us, he is puzzled and disappointed over GEICO's switching teams, staying in Daytona Sportbike and taking Martin Cardenas down a class to ride for them. He can't understand Yosh dropping Tommy either. He throws out a theory that makes some sense of it. I hope the new promotor DMG has hired for their series can rectify it somehow:

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ass-warfare/P1
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #77
Tom W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I'm not a big fan of this author as his writing skills make him hard to read. But he wrote an interesting piece in SpeedTV.com the other day that introduces a new spin on the problems facing AMA Pro Racing.

Like us, he is puzzled and disappointed over GEICO's switching teams, staying in Daytona Sportbike and taking Martin Cardenas down a class to ride for them. He can't understand Yosh dropping Tommy either. He throws out a theory that makes some sense of it. I hope the new promotor DMG has hired for their series can rectify it somehow:

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ass-warfare/P1
Interesting read. I think no matter how much DMG (Or AMA or Big Kahuna or whatever they are now) tries to put Sportbike on the same level as Superbike, fans will never see it that way and the fans are really the ones calling the shots.

The Buell was a big factor in the first year. People who liked it paid attention to Sportbike to see it and people who hated it and what DMG was doing watched Sportbike so they could complain about it.

As things progressed (and Buell got shut down) things started to settle out and Sportbike became the race for the younger guys with Superbike being the premier class (even though Speed continued to cover both equally).

And I think that's where we're at now and I like seeing full Sportbike coverage even with that in mind.

Yes, money is an issue and until more money comes in, things will be spread thin, but I see a thickening and broadening of both classes as the series gets back on its feet and the economy improves.

But I am disappointed by Geico and their odd moves. Cardenas moving up last year followed by Herrin and Eslick moving up this year would have made perfect sense. Geico should have stuck with RMR and Eslick to move up into the Superbike class as well.

The only rationalization I can see for them not doing that is they want to continue to have a winner and Eslick isn't likely to be immediately competitive at the Superbike level.

Cardenas in Sportbike (particularly with Herrin and Eslick moving to Superbike) is probably the closest thing to a 'sure thing' in motorcycle racing as you can get.

But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has lessened my opinion of both Geico and Team Hammer.

I think Team Hammer and Cardena are good enough that they shouldn't only be going balls-to-the-wall in Superbike this year, but they should have their eye on WSBK down the road.

I do like the idea of serious and well funded teams in both classes, but the way this is playing out is leaving me a little put-off.

Tom W. screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 01:42 PM
Tom W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #78
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

You make a lot of sense, Tom. I think American Suzuki is a bigger player in this decision than meets the eye. Richie Morris isn't a Suzy guy. He has no roots. Ulrich does.

I am surprised that Geico wouldn't really want to go racing, though. Their ad budget could support the whole series! There must be a small person at Geico calling the shots.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #79
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
Knapp lands a promising ride (in the BSB)

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #80
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Not Good. KTM has never been much for racing their product at the top levels. Fading from the AMA Pro Superbike series shows they can't compete even on a street stock formula. KTM is a phony
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #81
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,759
Quote:
Not Good. KTM has never been much for racing their product at the top levels. Fading from the AMA Pro Superbike series shows they can't compete even on a street stock formula. KTM is a phony
Small deer, weak legs, hardly good for stew yet. But it might grow up and be a trophy one day. May just need a little alone time in the woods to build up some testosterone.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #82
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,132
Quote:
Is this in relation to something specific?
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #83
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Is this in relation to something specific?
Mitch @ HMC announced that HMC/KTM will not be participating in the 2012 AMA Superbike series, citing a lack of sponsorship. :-(
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #84
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
So the GNCC, World Enduro, ISDE, various supermoto championships in countries and at world stage are not top levels? Or are you being specific about road racing, without being specific?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #85
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,323
KTM has a history of overpromising and underdelivering in pavement racing series. Team Roberts, WSBK, now AMA. I wouldn't want to be a rider in the Moto3 series for them, never know if your next paycheck is the last one.

In dirt series, KTM is very strong, but it is almost like a separate division of the company when it comes to pavement racing. A weak sister of a division.

It really is too bad. I watched the superbike at NJMP in September and it looked like a good platform and had a distinctive sound.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #86
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
So the GNCC, World Enduro, ISDE, various supermoto championships in countries and at world stage are not top levels? Or are you being specific about road racing, without being specific?
What he said.

KTM has done very well in off-road and SM. They're only a few years into big street bikes. Give them time. I'm bummed for HMC, Fillmore and everyone attached the AMA SBK effort.

Link to article at RRW.com

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=46772
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #87
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
KTM has a history of overpromising and underdelivering in pavement racing series. Team Roberts, WSBK, now AMA. I wouldn't want to be a rider in the Moto3 series for them, never know if your next paycheck is the last one.

In dirt series, KTM is very strong, but it is almost like a separate division of the company when it comes to pavement racing. A weak sister of a division.

It really is too bad. I watched the superbike at NJMP in September and it looked like a good platform and had a distinctive sound.
The bike in its' R format is a darn good start. I am wondering if they are just taking a breather from spending their own money until they get the moto3 operation up and viable. That is far more important to them than AMA. When the funding is there, they will join in again. They have a fair amount of coin to spend on SX to get that program up to Asian standards in the US. Only so much a relatively small company can do in a poor economy.

And you are right about the road racing. They really, really want to do it, but have a hard time deciding on the format they want to stick with. They won't quit trying.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #88
Tom W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
KTM seemed to have a very definite: "go big or go home" attitude with their AMA effort.

They threw a lot of money at it, had disappointing results and then gave up. It's okay to have big plans, but if you're going to go that route, you need to be willing to put enough money up to make a real effort out of it.

It's a shame. I would have liked to seen a KTM out there. Maybe someone will still give it a go on a smaller scale.

Here are some cool items being auctioned off to help a kid with cancer if anybody's interested:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/skipsatrip/m...&_trksid=p3686
Tom W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #89
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
Supermoto isn't exactly mainstream, and the rest are trailbike events.

Jus' kiddin. I was hoping KTM would be a force in AMA Pro. The USA is a good market for them. On the other hand, they are making a real effort in MX/SX finally, so maybe the budget was blown already.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #90
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
I don't think the HMC effort was a factory level effort, so the lack of sponsorship is a killer.