User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
hexnut OP
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,308
Kymco Downtown 300 with ABS

I was just in my local Kymco dealer and the DT 300 does have ABS brakes. Not only is it on the tag on the scooter but it has the ring with the teeth on the rotor that picks up the signal for ABS. The price was $5599.

They also have a GTi 200 and 300. Very nice scooters. I could have held out for one of them but I got my people S250 much cheaper. And hey, the S250 is running really well and has enough power for me. I never ride 2 up.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Downtown 300 vs. Yamaha Majesty

First of all, let me state that I have nothing against the Downtown 300i - in fact I really thought about getting one a few months ago.

After a little searching I discovered the nearest dealer was about an hour away, and when I contacted him he told me he would order a 300i for me, but that I'd have to pay MSRP of $5599.

Well I was not too keen on ordering a bike I'd never sat on (let alone seen), so I decided to hold off for a while. About a week later I saw a Majesty at another local dealership, and suddenly a light went on above my head. I wanted fuel injection, and like the 300i the Majesty had that. I wanted a stronger engine than the one in my Helix, and the Majesty checked that box off too. I wanted a modern suspension, Japanese build quality, and I wanted a bike I could lay my eyes and hands on prior to making a purchase.

To make a long story short I found an '09 Majesty at a local dealership, and it only had 127 miles on it. It was a repo. I bought it for $4350, and the dealer threw in a free HJC helmet and an oil change.

In a straight up comparison, is a Majesty a better bike than the Downtown? I don't know the answer to that, having never owned the Kymco. Is a very lightly used Majesty a valid option over a new Downtown, especially when you can find them for a thousand bucks cheaper? I think it's worth considering. (..and I would have bought the Downtown if it had been priced around $4000.)
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Thanks for the heads up on the DT 300I being available with ABS brakes here in the states. I believe it will be a good seller and I will be looking into one for next spring.
The Majesty is a good value for the money . The big news here is that the DT 300I can be purchased with ABS brakes which the Majesty can not. From What I have read about the Kymco it will out perform the majesty in almost every way but as you stated it can be had much cheaper than a new Kymco if you buy used. I want all the safety features I can get and the power of a 400 with the milage of a 250 is a very good plus. Of all the scooters vailable in the US the DT300I is an exellent buy and the best value in the small maxi scooters. The Burgman 400 is the only other one in its league but costs much more to buy new and does not have a 2 year warrenty. The removal of the Honda Reflex left a large hole in the scooter line up available in the U.S. and the Kymco fills that hole very well. I have a Reflex and will add the Kymco to my stable. I live 20 miles from any town and the DT will work well for 50 -200 mile round trips that I take on a regular basis.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Breeze Cycles in Omaha has one new Downtown 300i for $4500 OTD. Gene will hook you up.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Breeze Cycles in Omaha has one new Downtown 300i for $4500 OTD. Gene will hook you up.
Does it have ABS brakes? It is an option, not all DT's have them and they are about $500 extra. Up until hexnut found one on the show room floor it was thought that ABS was not available in the U.S. on the DT300I. I had checked with my local Kymco dealer just 2 months ago and he told me it was not available.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Don't know if it has ABS.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
First of all, let me state that I have nothing against the Downtown 300i - in fact I really thought about getting one a few months ago.

After a little searching I discovered the nearest dealer was about an hour away, and when I contacted him he told me he would order a 300i for me, but that I'd have to pay MSRP of $5599.

Well I was not too keen on ordering a bike I'd never sat on (let alone seen), so I decided to hold off for a while. About a week later I saw a Majesty at another local dealership, and suddenly a light went on above my head. I wanted fuel injection, and like the 300i the Majesty had that. I wanted a stronger engine than the one in my Helix, and the Majesty checked that box off too. I wanted a modern suspension, Japanese build quality, and I wanted a bike I could lay my eyes and hands on prior to making a purchase.

To make a long story short I found an '09 Majesty at a local dealership, and it only had 127 miles on it. It was a repo. I bought it for $4350, and the dealer threw in a free HJC helmet and an oil change.

In a straight up comparison, is a Majesty a better bike than the Downtown? I don't know the answer to that, having never owned the Kymco. Is a very lightly used Majesty a valid option over a new Downtown, especially when you can find them for a thousand bucks cheaper? I think it's worth considering. (..and I would have bought the Downtown if it had been priced around $4000.)
I think it really depends on what you want. In general, the extra 100 cc will be nice on the Interstate, IMO the bigger the better for Interstate. No, I didn't say faster, I know a Ninja 250 will smoke a Majesty 400, but having a little extra torque and power for 70 MPH cruising is nice.

THe 300 is a damn nice scoot though, bad sides are its probably got a highly optimistic speedo like most Kymcos. But good quality scoot. Hear its also fine on the highway and pretty impressive for a 300.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
hexnut OP
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,308
From the test at just gotta scoot on the DT300...

"the Downtown came in at about 3% optimistic. At an indicated speed of 60 MPH the actual speed was 58 MPH. The odometer was just about spot on, showing 10.1 miles after a GPS verified 10.0".

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

How many cc's is enough?

Over the last 7-8 years I've been all the way up and down the displacement ladder, on both scooters and motorcycles. I've owned everything from a 1300cc Honda VTX to a 70cc Honda Passport. Probably the two funnest bikes I've owned during that time were my current '03 KLR250 and my recently sold Honda Helix. I've realized that a person can wring a heck of a lot of fun out of just 250cc's.

Having said that, both the KLR and the Helix could have been even better, had they had 10-20% more power.
I've come to the realization that for my personal needs, a mid-sized, light, reasonably powerful scooter or motorcycle is the one that will give me the most enjoyment.

This realization is the one that steered me towards the Downtown 300i (and also the People GT300i). It seems to me that the Downtown 300i is the logical evolution of the Honda Helix - with obvious upgrades to the suspension, brakes, engine, handling, etc. In other words, it's relatively light, it has a good horsepower to weight ratio, it has fuel injection, ABS, and it's certainly a huge improvement over the Helix in the looks department. Unfortunately the price, and proximity to the nearest Kymco dealership tipped the scales in favor of my Majesty.

I hope Kymco sells tens of thousands of these bikes here in the States, so that I can pick up a clean used one a few years from now for $2500

Now if only Suzuki would modernize the DR350, and brings it back with a water-cooled, fuel-injected engine, I'd be all set.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 05:14 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
In a straight up comparison, is a Majesty a better bike than the Downtown?
The Downtown is known for it's agility and Majesty is exactly the opposite,
so you should notice a big difference there. The Majesty is more comfortable
and has a better wind protection without a doubt.

The fuel consumption is about the same, the Downtown is probably faster
up to 60mph, but the Majesty has a higher top speed.

I'd get the Majesty for more straight roads, more 2up riding, longer trips.
For everything else, especially city use and commuting, the Downtown is
very hard to beat, regardless of price range.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
hexnut thats very impressive, I'd think it'd be about 10% off or more like most of the Kymcos. 2 MPH off at 60 MPH is pretty damn accurate, I wish they were all like that! Maybe it really isn't slower than the Majesty in the top speed department? Maybe the Majesty has a higher indicated top speed but its not as accurate?

HandKPhil I think it just depends on what you want from a bike. Me for example, I like a big V-Twin at least 600 cc or more. But I also can have a blast on a 125 zooming around town!

One thing I found is you don't appreciate a big motorcycle unless you've had a small displacement motorcycle as your only transportation. For example I had my Elite 150 for a couple years as my only transportation. While it was a blast and had fine power for almost everything, any high speed roads with 50+ MPH limits [especially single lane roads] the bike was running near flat out and I'd LOVE just a bit more.

Then when I rode my Shadow man the thing felt like a frekin rocket! Putting it in 6th at 55 MPH and having the RPMs so low it almost stalls is an AWESOME feeling!

If you start out with a 700 or bigger bike then you'll probably never quite appreciate the extra power as much.

Now I love Scooters but for me nothings ever gonna replace a V-Twin! Except around town and for fun zipping around. I still love riding my Elite though, 100 MPG is unbeatable and its got great speed for backroad cruising and everything except interstate.

Yes a 250 cc Bike can put out impressive power and be surprisingly fun. But many people will always wish for just a "little" more power. I think a 300 or maybe a 350 hits the spot between big, heavy and sluggish and quick and agile yet still fast enough. For MOST riding, sounds to me like the 300 is a good balance.

But if your looking on doing some serious miles, a big heavy slow sluggish bike is of use. The wind won't blow you all over on the interstate, and semi trucks don't scare the hell out of you. But I think the Majesty should be more like the Downtown, people who are looking to do mainly serious miles will likely opt for a Burgman 650 or Silverwing.

I think until you start getting to 500+ cc you'll likely want a little bit more speed, more acceleration, something if your doing lots of high speed riding though. But for me my Shadow has more than enough power. If I could get anymore power from it I wouldn't want it. It'll cruise at 85 MPH without breaking a sweat, and has plenty of acceleration.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
hexnut thats very impressive, I'd think it'd be about 10% off or more like most of the Kymcos. 2 MPH off at 60 MPH is pretty damn accurate, I wish they were all like that! Maybe it really isn't slower than the Majesty in the top speed department? Maybe the Majesty has a higher indicated top speed but its not as accurate?
I can confirm that the Downtown and People 300 are the most accurate
Kymco models from what I've tried.

I have an Agility 125 that's 20% optimistic at 40mph!
Thankfully, it gets better later on, but it's waaay off.

The Downtown was just a few mph off at top speed, if we can trust
our GPS stuff.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Some interesting specs

Not to turn this into a Kymco Downtown 300i vs. Yamaha Majesty thread, but after seeing some of the conflicting specifications and performance figures that have been tossed out, I decided to do a little digging. Not that my figures are to be taken as gospel, but I did find a few interesting tidbits:

Downtown 300i horsepower = 29 hp (22 Kw)

http://www.kymco.com/showroom/showro...rtyName=ENGINE

2008 Majesty horsepower has been reported at anywhere from 32 to 33.5 hp

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/281/45...er-Review.aspx

I saw several articles which stated Majesty top speed to be either 105 or 106 mph.

I saw two different sources which said Downtown 300i top speed was 95 mph.

Zero to 60 mph figures for both bikes has been reported at 11 seconds. (This is a measured performance figure for the Downtown 300i, in the other Battle Scooter 300i thread)

Wet weight for the Majesty is listed on the Yamaha site as 467lbs.

Dry weight for the 300i is shown on their site as 367 lbs. Add 3.3 gallons of gas, plus a quart and a half of oil, and my guess is that wet weight is around 390 lbs.

So if the figures above are correct, the wet Majesty is 20% heavier than the wet Downtown. If the 32-33 hp figure for the Majesty can be trusted, that works out to 15% more horsepower than the kymco's 29 hp.

The 300i only has to move 13.4 or so lbs. per horsepower. The Majesty has to move around 15 lbs. per horsepower. My guess is that both bikes feel pretty much the same from the saddle, performance-wise. The lighter bike will probably be the more nimble one, and the heavier one will likely be more stable. Build quality is probably very close.
I'm guessing the Majesty is more comfortable, with a plusher ride. I'm betting the Kymco handles a tad sharper.
Usable torque probably goes to the Majesty. A new Majesty is more expensive than a new 300i.

Pick your poison, and enjoy

HandKPhil screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 07:08 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Handkfil, you missed the whole point of the DT300I ABS. The DT is called the down town for a reason. It is more nimble than any of the 400's. Its weight is about the same as my Honda Reflex 250 ABS. It is marketed and fills the same spot as a 250. It was not ment to compete with 400ccs. The 400s are a starter touring scoot that can be used in town. The DT300 is a city scoot that can be used on the open road. I love the size of my Reflex but it is right on the edge for open highway. The DT300 has a 10-15 mph higher top speed with more aceleration with the same weight and agility as my Reflex. The DT has the weight of a 250, nibleness of a 250, ABS brakes, more acceleration than a 250, with the fuel milage of a 250 , and the cost of a 250. Its a winner no matter how you slice it. Your 400 is a great bike and can be had at fire sale prices. I would not throw stones at a majesty at all but it is out classed by the Burgman 400.

The Dt300I ABS has no competition in the U.S. at this point in time. I hope it sparks some competition but probably will remain alone in its market. Either way I am Glad its here finally.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
One thing I found is you don't appreciate a big motorcycle unless you've had a small displacement motorcycle as your only transportation.
Or unless you have used a smaller displacement bike to do the work a larger displacement bike does better.

I recently rode my Vespa GT200 from San Diego county to the Canadian border. While we mostly stayed off the interstate, and most of the roads were 55mph or lower, you really couldn't classify the roads as twisty either (with the exception of Big Sur and a portion of highway 199.)

The Vespa handled it fine, never sputtered or complained, and I only lacked for power on a couple of occasions going up long steep grades.

On the other hand, I would have enjoyed a heavier bike with better wind protection, a better saddle, and the power to keep speed up the long steep grades. On my next trip I am going to try a larger windscreen on the GT200 and have the saddle altered. I think it will make for a more comfortable ride. I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about Burgmans and Silverwings by day 5 of my ride...
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote