Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
Handkfil, you missed the whole point of the DT300I ABS. The DT is called the down town for a reason. It is more nimble than any of the 400's. Its weight is about the same as my Honda Reflex 250 ABS. It is marketed and fills the same spot as a 250. It was not ment to compete with 400ccs. The 400s are a starter touring scoot that can be used in town. The DT300 is a city scoot that can be used on the open road. I love the size of my Reflex but it is right on the edge for open highway. The DT300 has a 10-15 mph higher top speed with more aceleration with the same weight and agility as my Reflex. The DT has the weight of a 250, nibleness of a 250, ABS brakes, more acceleration than a 250, with the fuel milage of a 250 , and the cost of a 250. Its a winner no matter how you slice it. Your 400 is a great bike and can be had at fire sale prices. I would not throw stones at a majesty at all but it is out classed by the Burgman 400.

The Dt300I ABS has no competition in the U.S. at this point in time. I hope it sparks some competition but probably will remain alone in its market. Either way I am Glad its here finally.
Actually, I think you missed a few of the posts in this thread.

"I've come to the realization that for my personal needs, a mid-sized, light, reasonably powerful scooter or motorcycle is the one that will give me the most enjoyment.

This realization is the one that steered me towards the Downtown 300i (and also the People GT300i). It seems to me that the Downtown 300i is the logical evolution of the Honda Helix - with obvious upgrades to the suspension, brakes, engine, handling, etc. In other words, it's relatively light, it has a good horsepower to weight ratio, it has fuel injection, ABS, and it's certainly a huge improvement over the Helix in the looks department. Unfortunately the price, and proximity to the nearest Kymco dealership tipped the scales in favor of my Majesty.

I hope Kymco sells tens of thousands of these bikes here in the States, so that I can pick up a clean used one a few years from now for $2500"

I'm not championing the Majesty over the Downtown - in fact I think my last post was pretty fair in showing the specs and performance figures for both bikes. I just said that for my money, in my personal situation, the Majesty was a better buy for me.

And as I said in my last post, "Pick your poison and enjoy".
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Cortez 20% off? NO excuse for that! Thats just scary for a noob who don't know about optimistic speedos and buys a Agility 125 and takes it to the road and does around the speed limits indicated on the speedo! Yea thats a big selling point on the DT300! Shit if I were looking into a scooter and they put "Has extremely accurate speedometer" as part of their marketing, I'd be twice as likely to buy it!

HandKPhil maybe the Majesty has an indicated top speed of 105 MPH, but I don't think it'll do a GPS 105 MPH. I think its top speeds in the mid 90s by GPS from what I've heard. If the 300i has a top speed of a true 95 MPH or so, I think its some REAL competition for the majesty!

Now the Majesty is a great scooter, but to many the 300 makes lots of sense. If its top speed is roughly the same, acceleration is probably about the same [ the 400 will likely have much more high end power over 60 MPH though]. But the 300 gets a bit better fuel economy from what I've heard, handles much better, and is cheaper its a good competition. Now I suppose even with the same top speeds the Majesty would be the choice for Interstate. Pretty much for long cruises on the Interstate bigger is better, the Majesty is probably not working as hard to hold higher speeds, and is probably smoother and the extra weight helps it not gets blown all over and ride nicer. Yes, your right its clearly designed as more of a small tourer with city abilities.

Brooktown Geezer I'm with you there. Your right, when I had my Elite 150 as my only transportation, I wanted a Harley every time I rode it. I guess I was expecting a 1600 cc Big Twin from a 153 cc Single!

I was frustrated on roads with speed limited of 50 MPH and over. Around town and on most backroads its perfect, PLENTY of acceleration for me, runs like a dream at 45 MPH, and is a blast. But on high speed roads, it feels kinda gutless at 50+ MPH. I wanted low RPMs, and a higher top speed desperately. But I had no money, so I delt with it for a long time.

Now just before last summer I bought my Shadow 700. What a dream to ride! I can pop it in 6th and Cruise at 70 MPH all day long with the RPMs below 4,000. Its more than powerful enough, all I care abouts cruising I guess! Kinda strange for my age, most my age are tryin to get the latest fastest crotch rocket seeing how fast they can die, but I'd take a Shadow over an R1 any day. Just not my style.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
I've been lusting after a DT300 since before they were released. The problem for me is the price and resale value. I already know as I'm going in that I'll keep any given bike for 1-3 years before selling it. Used Kymcos are impossible to sell here in the states. I would likely lose 60% maybe more of my investment if I purchased a new DT300i. I saw a brand new Kymco 500 on ebay with a buy it now of $3500 and I'm not even sure if it sold at that price.

By contrast I can buy a low mileage like new 08 Burgman 400 for $3000 or so and get 90% of my investment back when I'm ready to try something else. That's the only reason I haven't bought the new Downtown. My loss for sure but I just can't do it.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoitall View Post
I've been lusting after a DT300 since before they were released. The problem for me is the price and resale value. I already know as I'm going in that I'll keep any given bike for 1-3 years before selling it. Used Kymcos are impossible to sell here in the states. I would likely lose 60% maybe more of my investment if I purchased a new DT300i. I saw a brand new Kymco 500 on ebay with a buy it now of $3500 and I'm not even sure if it sold at that price.

By contrast I can buy a low mileage like new 08 Burgman 400 for $3000 or so and get 90% of my investment back when I'm ready to try something else. That's the only reason I haven't bought the new Downtown. My loss for sure but I just can't do it.
What you say is true. A few months ago I could have purchased a 2009 Exciting 500 for $2000 off of the local craigslist. It was for sale for quite a while before it sold. If I were not wanting ABS I would definatly buy a used burgman 400. I have not seen a used abs burgman for sale yet but if I do I will buy it. I love the DT300 but I am concerned now that it might be too tight for me, I am 6'2" and a 32 inseam. I have heard that about 6' is about it for the DT. If I find a used exciting 250 I might buy it though.
PS: I also called my local Kymco dealer again about the availability of the DT with ABS brakes in the USA and he had to call Kymco . They told him it is not available in the USA yet. So I have no idea how a dealer in Tennesee had one on the show room floor.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
At six four and a half I'm a little taller than you and when I went looking for scooters I quickly found that I didn't fit well on most of the usual suspects including the Downtown. The two bikes that fit me were the Burgman 400 and the SYM Citycom.

I've had the Citycom for two years and now that it is well broken in the performance is excellent. When I'm closer to retirement I'll be getting rid of my big Suzuki C90 cruiser and getting a Burgman 400 with ABS for camping touring.

Both bikes can cruise comfortably at an honest 70 mph which is fast enough for long distance riding. Riding faster doesn't get you there faster with the much more frequent fuel stops.

The GTi 300 would be of more interest to me than the Downtown if I wanted a Kymco.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
mrnoitall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post

The Dt300I ABS has no competition in the U.S. at this point in time.
No competition?.. Why because it's slighlty bigger than a 250 scooter and slightly smaller than a 400 scooter? That does not mean it creates a brand new category. It's got plenty of competition and that's why it's not selling well. For the price you can get a 400cc Japanese scooter that will be worth something when you sell it.

If I were in the market for a new scooter... which I'm not because I never buy any vehicle new, I would buy the 300DT if it were $2000 less than a Majesty or Burgman. I really like the looks of it and something a hair more powerful than my 250cc scooters would be nice for the highway but for the price and resale value it makes so much more sense to buy a Japanese bike... at least for me since I keep them for two years and sell them. I do however keep my eyes open for a used example. for a 40% discount!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
The DT is really not comparable to Majesty or a Burgman other then the fact
that it seems to be aiming at the same market segment if you judge by looks.

It's a light, easy to throw around scooter, very agile/nimble, and the suspension
is setup a lot sportier then the Majesty/Burger which are proper GT scoots.

The DT is a lot less comfortable then both, but rides likea 150cc scooter
around town, and that's something majesty and burgman probably can't pull off.

It should really be compared to smaller/lighter scooters.

Xciting is a lot more comparable to the jap 400cc class in the heavy barge
class.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
mrnoitall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The DT is really not comparable to Majesty or a Burgman other then the fact
that it seems to be aiming at the same market segment if you judge by looks..
The DT is perfectly comparable as far as I'm concerned. That's why they are aiming at the same market segment.

Quote:
It's a light, easy to throw around scooter, very agile/nimble, and the suspension
Sportier = marketing hype. That's the term manufacturers use to describe cars that are not sports cars but look like sports cars. Who is buying a 280cc scooter if they want a sports bike?

Quote:
The DT is a lot less comfortable then both, but rides like a 150cc scooter
around town, and that's something majesty and burgman probably can't pull off.
Have you ridden both the Burgman and the Majesty? I've ridden a burgman around town.. It's absolutely a breeze.

Quote:
It should really be compared to smaller/lighter scooters.
If that's the comparison you want than the DT will fare even worse. It's heavier and larger than a 150cc scooter will cost more to operate and the purchase price is higher.

Quote:
Xciting is a lot more comparable to the jap 400cc class in the heavy barge
class.
You suggest that the DT300cc scooter should be compared to a 150cc scooter but not a 400cc scooter?...

IMO the DT300 and Japanese 400 scoots are almost identical. Someone looking for a scooter large enough to use on the highway is not going to look at either the DT or the Burgman/Majesty. They are going to consider all three.. and even the Tmax etc. The people looking at the DT are not looking at a 150cc scooter.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
The DT is perfectly comparable as far as I'm concerned. That's why they are aiming at the same market segment.

.Sportier = marketing hype. That's the term manufacturers use to describe cars that are not sports cars but look like sports cars. Who is buying a 280cc scooter if they want a sports bike?

Have you ridden both the Burgman and the Majesty? I've ridden a burgman around town.. It's absolutely a breeze.

If that's the comparison you want than the DT will fare even worse. It's heavier and larger than a 150cc scooter will cost more to operate and the purchase price is higher.

You suggest that the DT300cc scooter should be compared to a 150cc scooter but not a 400cc scooter?...

IMO the DT300 and Japanese 400 scoots are almost identical. Someone looking for a scooter large enough to use on the highway is not going to look at either the DT or the Burgman/Majesty. They are going to consider all three.. and even the Tmax etc. The people looking at the DT are not looking at a 150cc scooter.
I've ridden a Majesty, own a Downtown, own a 125cc kymco and stand
by all that I've written. The spec sheet suggests the DT will be a comfy
fat pig, but it's not, not even close, and is just a tad less agile then my
125cc scoot.

It takes 1/3 the effort to throw around town then my now sold kawasaki
650cc that was the same weight as the DT300.

I am not saying that the DT should be compared to 150cc scoots, but that
it rides like one, very unlike your typical 400-500cc scoots.

I've ridden a shitload of scooters, have worked in the bike business a few
years, then as a reviewer in a local magazine.

The "sporty" feel is not a hype, it's MY impression of the bike, after sampling
the majesty, beverly/bv 300, 500, piaggio x8 200, peugeot geopolis 400,
satelis 500, and a lot more maxi scoots.

The DT300 feels nothing like the BV500 which is a big one, and feels VERY
much like the 300, which is a light (subjectively) steering scooter which
responds very quickly to handlebar input, the X8 200 might look the same
as the DT300 but the ride on them is completely different.

Where a Piaggio X8 will give you all the comfort you need, and feel like a
mini-majesty or a mini-burgman, the DT is the exact opposite, regardless
of how it looks or what it's marketed for.

Sporty feel? Yeah, the suspension works better then on my 72hp Kawasaki,
and I can ride it just as fast through some of the favorite corners around
here, minus the power surge out of the corners.

The looks can fool you, it's no GT, it's just a more comfortable small city
scoot with big plastics, and there's a lot to love about that. It will not
be as comfortable as the Majesty on long rides and high speeds, but your
average 150cc city scooter will not be able to get away from you around
town, and you can still do 75mph all day long after you get out of town.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,838
Quote:

.Sportier = marketing hype. That's the term manufacturers use to describe cars that are not sports cars but look like sports cars. Who is buying a 280cc scooter if they want a sports bike?

If I fit on the DT300 and was in the market for a scooter I would consider it but probably not any of the Japanese 400cc and above scooters. Part of the appeal of scooter for me is the light nimble feeling. Even the DT300 is at the upper end of the size range I would consider. We'll see how well it sells since many scooter customers want either small & cheap or big and luxurious. The Japanese have abandoned the medium size scooter market in the U. S. I'm guessing that the DT300 will do better overseas than in the U. S.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
mrnoitall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
If I fit on the DT300 and was in the market for a scooter I would consider it but probably not any of the Japanese 400cc and above scooters. Part of the appeal of scooter for me is the light nimble feeling. Even the DT300 is at the upper end of the size range I would consider. We'll see how well it sells since many scooter customers want either small & cheap or big and luxurious..
I owned the SilverWing and by comparison the burgman 400 was nimble feeling.

Quote:
The Japanese have abandoned the medium size scooter market in the U. S. I'm guessing that the DT300 will do better overseas than in the U. S.
The Burgman and Majesty 400 are the medium size scooter market. The Tmax, Big Burgman and Silverwing are the large scooter market.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,838
Quote:
I owned the SilverWing and by comparison the burgman 400 was nimble feeling.

It's all relative. Compared to my super 8 my Sport City 250 feels heavy. Compared to a Goldwing I'm sure a Silverwing is light and nimble

. The Burgman and Majesty 400 are the medium size scooter market. The Tmax, Big Burgman and Silverwing are the large scooter market.
That's a matter of opinion. I consider 200-300cc to be medium size and 400 and above to be large. I doubt there is a formal definition out there.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
mrnoitall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I've ridden a Majesty, own a Downtown, own a 125cc kymco and stand
by all that I've written. The spec sheet suggests the DT will be a comfy
fat pig, but it's not, not even close, and is just a tad less agile then my
125cc scoot.

It takes 1/3 the effort to throw around town then my now sold kawasaki
650cc that was the same weight as the DT300.
Not quite, there is a 23lb difference in weight.

Hey, I believe what you say. It's the only new scoot I've seen in a while that I would like to try. The part I disagreed with was that it has no direct competition. I would bet, that like me, those contemplated buying the new DT300i are comparing it to the Burgman and Majesty 400.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
If I fit on the DT300 and was in the market for a scooter I would consider it but probably not any of the Japanese 400cc and above scooters. Part of the appeal of scooter for me is the light nimble feeling. Even the DT300 is at the upper end of the size range I would consider. We'll see how well it sells since many scooter customers want either small & cheap or big and luxurious. The Japanese have abandoned the medium size scooter market in the U. S. I'm guessing that the DT300 will do better overseas than in the U. S.
It already is doing better.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Not quite, there is a 23lb difference in weight.

Hey, I believe what you say. It's the only new scoot I've seen in a while that I would like to try. The part I disagreed with was that it has no direct competition. I would bet, that like me, those contemplated buying the new DT300i are comparing it to the Burgman and Majesty 400.
Anyone who takes a ride on all three will soon find out they're not comparable
and most who like the DT will not like the jap scoots, and probably vice versa.

There's another issue with that comparison.. at least here.
The Majesty costs $2k more then the DT, and the Burgman costs $4k or 50%
more.