Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #61
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
I was thinking more about rider protection. There's a reason they put fenders over front tires in the first place. I'm just not sure how much coverage you'd get from the beak by itself. Could be okay. Just thought I'd ask since it would leave the radiator with more protection than the supermoto fender and still look clean (like the bike in the referenced threads).
Not sure what you mean, sorry.
Casejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #62
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Yes. Well.... On the bike in the thread you posted, they ended up fabbing a beak extension out of sticks and duct tape because the beak didn't protect them well enough. There are people who have deleted the hugger and kept the stock beak though, and while they say it's definitely dirtier, it's not too bad.

If you do choose that route though, make sure you put on the rear part to protect the radiator. You can cut down the one from a F650GS Dakar, and use that. With any of these options, a radiator guard is also a must.

CaseJeep, no, that isn't the one I have. And after seeing LukasM's picture, it's definitely too short! Go with one like LostRider has, or the one Bartron and I used, which is from a KTM 690.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #63
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Yes. Well.... On the bike in the thread you posted, they ended up fabbing a beak extension out of sticks and duct tape because the beak didn't protect them well enough. There are people who have deleted the hugger and kept the stock beak though, and while they say it's definitely dirtier, it's not too bad.

If you do choose that route though, make sure you put on the rear part to protect the radiator. You can cut down the one from a F650GS Dakar, and use that. With any of these options, a radiator guard is also a must.

CaseJeep, no, that isn't the one I have. And after seeing LukasM's picture, it's definitely too short! Go with one like LostRider has, or the one Bartron and I used, which is from a KTM 690.
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #64
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
All right, another mutant 8GS!

I wish I wasn't slammed right now working or I'd ride on down with some beers.... maybe I can get away next week.

I don't know about the other fenders, but my KTM one is now very tested and works great in all weather. Now sure how far from SoCal you're going to wander from but if you plan on riding in any rain and mud it seems you'll want something that will actually keep the crap flinging off the front wheel off of you.

Good luck!
Lost Rider, that would be great. any help, or beer, is always greatly appreciated.

Im going to Asia for 3 weeks starting next Friday, so all work will have to go on hold. but by them im hopping on having the breaks and fender done. that is if my sponsor, SoloMotoParts.com, can get me the parts before i leave

i do plan on riding this thing everywhere, once its done.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #65
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
All right, another mutant 8GS!

I wish I wasn't slammed right now working or I'd ride on down with some beers.... maybe I can get away next week.

I don't know about the other fenders, but my KTM one is now very tested and works great in all weather. Now sure how far from SoCal you're going to wander from but if you plan on riding in any rain and mud it seems you'll want something that will actually keep the crap flinging off the front wheel off of you.

Good luck!

I'll supply beers if you come to TN to make another mutant 800gs...

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #66
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Breaks came in! who knows if ill have time to put them on. Im trying to get my life together before i leave for 3 weeks.

[IMG]311383_2346057964391_1038297980_3213238_1961787997  _n[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #67
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
I was thinking more about rider protection. There's a reason they put fenders over front tires in the first place. I'm just not sure how much coverage you'd get from the beak by itself. Could be okay. Just thought I'd ask since it would leave the radiator with more protection than the supermoto fender and still look clean (like the bike in the referenced threads).
+1 ... the supermoto fender is made for a 17" front wheel. It is NOT safe on a 21" wheel if you plan on riding offroad at all, rocks and crap will go right into your lights and windshield and face. Go get one of the KTM 690 Enduro fenders and be done with it. See Finn's StormTrooper F800 build - he's using the same one. Looks good, functions well.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #68
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themattreid View Post
+1 ... the supermoto fender is made for a 17" front wheel. It is NOT safe on a 21" wheel if you plan on riding offroad at all, rocks and crap will go right into your lights and windshield and face. Go get one of the KTM 690 Enduro fenders and be done with it. See Finn's StormTrooper F800 build - he's using the same one. Looks good, functions well.
yes, i like that one too, i was trying not to copy Finn's bike though. no one likes a copy cat.

but this is why i love this forum! i would have no idea i was being stupid till it was too late!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #69
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Quote:
See Finn's StormTrooper F800 build - he's using the same one. Looks good, functions well.
Actually, Bartron and I are the ones using the KTM 690 fender. Finn is using the Acerbis Universal Supermoto fender.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #70
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually, Bartron and I are the ones using the KTM 690 fender. Finn is using the Acerbis Universal Supermoto fender.
Do you like your 690 fender? anything you would change?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #71
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

The color!

That'll change as soon as I'm back in the States, but... Really, no. I love it. It completely changed the look of the bike, and it just performs. IMO the bike should have come with something like this stock.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #72
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The color!

That'll change as soon as I'm back in the States, but... Really, no. I love it. It completely changed the look of the bike, and it just performs. IMO the bike should have come with something like this stock.
what color is it now?

and yes i agree, it changes to look for the better.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #73
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
what color is it now?

and yes i agree, it changes to look for the better.
It comes in black or orange. I chose black. But when I'm back home I'm going to paint it green to match the rest of the bike. BIG plans for the bike once I'm home.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #74
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
You might want to look into the Baja Designs 4" kit:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-17...NCH+RACELIGHTS

Or you can go dual 8": https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-16...NCH+RACELIGHTS
Did you decide to go this route for the lights? I just replaced my halogens with some DDM HID's. Work great and are BRIGHT + fit into the stock housing. That said the reflector is horrible. Just sucks. Since the DDM's were only $60-75 shipped and use H7 bulbs I'm thinking a set of ordering set of halogen's and modding them to accept the h7 from the BMW. $300 for a good reflector would be nice if it works. Also kinda like the dual headlight look.

hmmm....

Bike looks good so far though I think you could get a better front fender too.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #75
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Did you decide to go this route for the lights? I just replaced my halogens with some DDM HID's. Work great and are BRIGHT + fit into the stock housing. That said the reflector is horrible. Just sucks. Since the DDM's were only $60-75 shipped and use H7 bulbs I'm thinking a set of ordering set of halogen's and modding them to accept the h7 from the BMW. $300 for a good reflector would be nice if it works. Also kinda like the dual headlight look.

hmmm....

Bike looks good so far though I think you could get a better front fender too.
I think i will stay with the 2 light style. but i think ill put up two 6inch lights, but ill have to see if that might be too big.