ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #1
Rus OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 375
AJP Motorcycles in Australia from March 2015

I noticed in April Cycle Torque an ad saying these bikes will be on sale in Australia from March 2015.
http://www.ajpaustralia.com.au

I don't know anything about them, but the PR7 looks interesting:

The 660cc PR7 Adventure bike is available towards the end of 2015.

The perfect adventure bike for touring Australia, whether it's across the centre or straight down the highway.

Features:
Mikuni EFI
Well recognised and highly regarded Minarelli 660cc single cylinder, liquid cooled, engine
Fully adjustable Marzocchi 48mm forks, 300mm of travel
Fully adjustable Ohlins shock with 280mm of travel
Less than 155kg dry weight
21 inch and 18 inch wheel set
17 litre under seat fuel cell for low weight distribution
Doma high performance pipe

AJP: Handbuilt in Portugal for 25 Years
Since 1987 AJP Motos have been designing and hand building off road motorcycles and competing on them. Having relocated to new and expanded premises in Lousada, Portugal, during 2003, the first of the current generation of bikes was conceived and they have been developed through design and competition ever since.

Our bikes are designed and built with simplicity and durability to the forefront of our intentions. Put together with passion by a small, but very knowledgeable and enthusiastic team of engineers, using top quality components. Essentially they are trail bikes that can race, not race bikes to struggle with on the trail…and our bikes are VERY inexpensive compared to the other European manufacturers who (currently) dominate the Off road market.

AJP Motos are now properly re-established in the UK with a new distributor, support team, growing dealer network and vastly improved aftersales support.

The UK range consists of three model sets, the PR3, a smaller framed bike for the short of leg, and the full size PR4 and PR5. Each model set consists of 3 variants namely Supermoto, Trail and Enduro and each variant has its own unique characteristics that will match the terrain and riding style most suited to the discipline. The PR3 and PR4 models are available with 125cc, 200cc and for 2013 a NEW 240cc air/oil cooled 4-stroke engine. The PR5 has a newly designed, fuel injected, 250cc liquid cooled engine. We also produce a special “Ultrapassar” model specifically for long distance trials in 125 and 240cc format.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: "Pearl of the sound" - f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 20,194
There was a thread started about these a while ago...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Portuguese

AJP bikes have been getting a fair bit of press in the UK... where they have recieved encouraging reviews for their range of tail bikes/enduro bikes that use Taiwanese manufactured engines (re-engineered ex-Japanese designs mostly) into locally produced portuguese chassis and european sourced componentry.

The 125/200/250cc aircooled fourstrokes attempt to do what CCM in the UK did for many years, and put a generic (reliable) aircooled fourstroke powerplant into a lighter and better handling chassis/suspension package - aimed at the average Joe trail rider.

Their new watercooled/high performance 4t 250cc seems to be aimed squarely at your CRF/WRF type bikes and looks the goods in pic's and on paper.

And the PR7 (660cc adventure/rally style model) has caught some attention in these circles.

Will be interesting to see how they are recieved and sold in Oz...
__________________
WATCH THIS SPACE...
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 14,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
There was a thread started about these a while ago...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Portuguese

AJP bikes have been getting a fair bit of press in the UK... where they have recieved encouraging reviews for their range of tail bikes/enduro bikes that use Taiwanese manufactured engines (re-engineered ex-Japanese designs mostly) into locally produced portuguese chassis and european sourced componentry.

The 125/200/250cc aircooled fourstrokes attempt to do what CCM in the UK did for many years, and put a generic (reliable) aircooled fourstroke powerplant into a lighter and better handling chassis/suspension package - aimed at the average Joe trail rider.

Their new watercooled/high performance 4t 250cc seems to be aimed squarely at your CRF/WRF type bikes and looks the goods in pic's and on paper.

And the PR7 (660cc adventure/rally style model) has caught some attention in these circles.

Will be interesting to see how they are recieved and sold in Oz...

I hope they can get the pricing right and do really well in Oz.

Do you think the other manufacturers will be watching to see if there is a market for these mid sized Adventure bikes?
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous
 
neilaction's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Perth, WA.
Oddometer: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I hope they can get the pricing right and do really well in Oz.
The tiddlers seem cheap enough.

On paper RP7 looks promising.
__________________
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, its probably electrical.
2009 Honda CBF1000, 1980 Suzuki GS1000ST (Aus spec), Dr6fiddy,
neilaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: "Pearl of the sound" - f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 20,194
F#¤% the big FIVE, I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I
Do you think the other manufacturers will be watching to see if there is a market for these mid sized Adventure bikes?
Let's hope not... and give this little fledgling company and their (hopefully new to be established network of dealers a fair chance to get a return on the investment.

The "niche" of trail/adventure riders have been asking for reliable simple but decent handling and suspended replacements for machines like the XR 250/400 and the like for going on 15 years... People have been crying out for a production line @pprox 650cc adventure bike (LC4 640 Adventure successor) since 2007... and no f#¤%er from the big corporate boardrooms has been bothered to listeni...


So I for one hope that AJP give it a good shake...
__________________
WATCH THIS SPACE...
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Bikeaholic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Let's hope not... and give this little fledgling company and their (hopefully new to be established network of dealers a fair chance to get a return on the investment.

The "niche" of trail/adventure riders have been asking for reliable simple but decent handling and suspended replacements for machines like the XR 250/400 and the like for going on 15 years... People have been crying out for a production line @pprox 650cc adventure bike (LC4 640 Adventure successor) since 2007... and no f#¤%er from the big corporate boardrooms has been bothered to listeni...


So I for one hope that AJP give it a good shake...
Ditto to that !!
Bikeaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #7
Rus OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
There was a thread started about these a while ago...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Portuguese
Apologies, I'm a bit slow, being from Orange n' all...

But that PR7 does have the specs many inmates have been asking for, so it will be interesting to see if they actually get them to market here, and if so what they are like and how they are accepted.

In any event, good on AJP for offering a machine the market wants, as currently there is really only the 690 as a replacement for my 630 when the time comes. It's now almost 4 years old with 20,000+kms, so ordinarily I'd be looking to upgrade now, but I'm hesitant about the 690 because of it's narrow gearbox & reported niggles. It's also well into its production life cycle and you'd have to think an upgrade is due in the not too distant future. So I'll be keeping the 630 for now - it's still powering along and a complete blast every time I ride it.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #8
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: "Pearl of the sound" - f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 20,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
The tiddlers seem cheap enough.

On paper RP7 looks promising.
http://woodsaddictcycles.com/media/tests-reviews/
__________________
WATCH THIS SPACE...
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015