User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,854
Adventure Touring Bikes and Rides

There's seems to be an increasing number of bikes being released aimed at more adventure touring rather than harder core adventure riding. I Know I've been enjoying a bit more of that side of late.

I've been thinking for a while I wonder how posting up some SEQ day Adventure Touring rides would go. For those who like a bit of slab country back roads, mountain roads and twisties, occasional dirt roads or well maintained Forrest roads thrown in, nice scenery and stops, and the odd bit of highway if it can't be avoided.

So to see how much interest there is I thought I'd kick this thread off, post up your bike and what you like in those sort of rides. I'll kick it off and will start up a thread for rides if it seems like a goer. If your outside SEQ I'm sure we'd still like to see your bikes and set up. And if you'd like to throw rocks at people for being soft and not hard core, that's fine too, but just do it in your own thread

A couple of nice spots in Wamuran Basin

Amazing what you can find off the beaton track

Some nice country around that's for sure

BygDaddee screwed with this post 04-20-2015 at 05:14 AM
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 766
I am interested

I like a bit of dirt road touring, maybe mixed with a bit of tasty twintrack.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
Good idea

Hi BygD,

I think it is a good idea. Why?

1) There is nothing more terrifying than attending a ride where everyone else arrives on KTM525's and you are on a dirt road tourer. Wrong ride for you.
2) Yes there is ( more terrifying); when they say you should make it and you spend the rest of your day picking up yoour 200 kg bike seeing its value scraped off on rocky ledges.
3)Many riders are coming form a road background and they have few dirt skills. A gentle ride with a few dirt roads will encourage them to try harder stuff eventually.
4) Older riders (ex -KTM525 types) have learned that they don't bounce so well and are learning to enjoy the scenery need this type of ride. They need to be given permission that it is OK not to slide around every corner and stopping for photo ops is acceptable. (this is my group; my first ADV ride I
thought, "how slow these guys ride .") Now I quite like to lope along

By the time I am ready to ride my bike up there in 3 years time ( retirement bucket list item) you should have this down to a fine art. I would love to have a guide in your area. I pay in beer!

If you can post your GPS tracks of rides on www.transaustraliatrail.com.au for everyone to share many riders will be in your debt. Taut has a grading system ( easy to hard) and a section where posted can leave details of the ride and link it to a ride report on ADVrider .com

XRman screwed with this post 04-20-2015 at 05:05 PM
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
roo6135
alias SINKERS

Oddometer: 88
Fantastic Idea. I have just the bike for that
roo6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
ozzieadventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Sounds like the type of riding I enjoy, I just got a 1190 standard Adventure after 20 years on road bikes and love it so far, we also have some great riding down south. First big trip coming up in a few weeks Melbourne, Innamincka, Arkaroola, Melbourne, 3500k's in 10 days.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
There's seems to be an increasing number of bikes being released aimed at more adventure touring rather than harder core adventure riding. I Know I've been enjoying a bit more of that side of late.

I've been thinking for a while I wonder how posting up some SEQ day Adventure Touring rides would go. For those who like a bit of slab country back roads, mountain roads and twisties, occasional dirt roads or well maintained Forrest roads thrown in, nice scenery and stops, and the odd bit of highway if it can't be avoided.

So to see how much interest there is I thought I'd kick this thread off, post up your bike and what you like in those sort of rides. I'll kick it off and will start up a thread for rides if it seems like a goer. If your outside SEQ I'm sure we'd still like to see your bikes and set up. And if you'd like to throw rocks at people for being soft and not hard core, that's fine too, but just do it in your own thread

Ah Paul my friend.. you're getting older like me! I prefer the road less travelled. Could be a C grade bitumen road or dirt.. or good forestry trail.

My days of fighting my way up snotty hills ended long ago. Mind you it all became a lot easier when I bought a TY250 in 1975. These days.. I am into dirt road cruising as Goosefether calls it!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Well this worked for me since '09, and I've just sold it.... probably a big mistake, it is the best bike I've ever owned.

But I've gone over to this now as I'm looking to do more dirt... but not motocross style, just touring and bush camping/pub stays.

The range of ADV bikes, or ADV adaptable models is very broad these days.

And the after market goodies are great.

Probably the biggest improvement you can make to any of them is to fit a set of 50/50 tyres, such as the Mitas E07 or similar.... from there the ADV versatility upgrades are purely what you personally want/need.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
CCM/GARRY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
back road touring

That all i do these days.
Attached Images

CCM/GARRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 704
Great idea... Although crossing the Simpson is on my bucket list, 99.9% of the riding I want to do is what you describe...

Now, all I have to do is sell the Multistrada and by another Vstrom... Or maybe a S10
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
DRs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Well this worked for me since '09, and I've just sold it.... probably a big mistake, it is the best bike I've ever owned.

But I've gone over to this now as I'm looking to do more dirt... but not motocross style, just touring and bush camping/pub stays.

The range of ADV bikes, or ADV adaptable models is very broad these days.

And the after market goodies are great.

Probably the biggest improvement you can make to any of them is to fit a set of 50/50 tyres, such as the Mitas E07 or similar.... from there the ADV versatility upgrades are purely what you personally want/need.
If I could only have one bike the DR650 would be it. My DRZ is better on the dirt the Strom better on the road, but it is hard to beat the mighty DR for an all rounder.

For more dirt than road, or mainly dirt roads I would have a knobby on the front ( Michelin Starcross HP4) and a Mitas E07 rear.

My days of hammering through swamps, creeks and up impossible hills are over. It is hard work on anything other than a light enduro bike. A gentlemen's ride to see the sights is more appealing, unless the red mist descends , then all bets are off!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #11
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
If I could only have one bike the DR650 would be it. My DRZ is better on the dirt the Strom better on the road, but it is hard to beat the mighty DR for an all rounder.

For more dirt than road, or mainly dirt roads I would have a knobby on the front ( Michelin Starcross HP4) and a Mitas E07 rear.

My days of hammering through swamps, creeks and up impossible hills are over. It is hard work on anything other than a light enduro bike. A gentlemen's ride to see the sights is more appealing, unless the red mist descends , then all bets are off!
Old (not very though) picture.

It is wearing these now.

E07 rear, Mefo Explorer front... though it will get a Dunlop 605 on the front in due course, I'm running the 605/E07 combo on my KLE500 and it works great for dirt/tar mixed riding.

The DR650 is working great for the riding I'm doing these days.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #12
breil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
All abilities

A lot of us do this sort of riding with mates with similar riding styles , so with a group ride it would be good if the pace was similar or break it up into 2 groups and meet at the same place for lunch .
breil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 704
Leader and tail end Charlie with couple of regroup point works well with larger groups with different skill levels..
Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #14
trgbox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
ADV touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post

Exactly what I am looking for and for the same reasons. Available for mid week rides too!
Ride is a S10ze
trgbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
OneOff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I'm interested. Super Tenere with bells and whistles.

strictly weekends and possibly two-up.

Pete.