User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #1501
wdrally
binge rider

Oddometer: 43
Slowpoak to Heidenau

Slow I had the k60 as matching set f&r on the aprilia. 2 rears later & the front is half worn: the rear 130/80 17 lasted about 3000km (Im not obsessive enough to diarise everything!). When I checked around on BMW forums the message seemed to be that the small size rears were a different compound (intended for a lighter bike perhaps?) & died young. Not sure where the switchover was, perhaps 150/, to the harder compound. A good tyre while it lasted though...perhaps I'm too hard on rears.
wdrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #1502
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrally View Post
Slow I had the k60 as matching set f&r on the aprilia. 2 rears later & the front is half worn: the rear 130/80 17 lasted about 3000km (Im not obsessive enough to diarise everything!). When I checked around on BMW forums the message seemed to be that the small size rears were a different compound (intended for a lighter bike perhaps?) & died young. Not sure where the switchover was, perhaps 150/, to the harder compound. A good tyre while it lasted though...perhaps I'm too hard on rears.
I have seen you ride. Smooth is the description I would use, so it must be a soft compound tyre.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #1503
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I have seen you ride. Smooth is the description I would use, so it must be a soft compound tyre.
Smooth @ warp factor 10, i believe should be the description there XR . How they hangin Larry, long time no hear ?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #1504
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Laugh

Quote:
I do the same. I have a list of date/km/service item. Problem is; only I can read it!!!!!
Good to hear someone else keeps a service diary XR, you professionals are all the same when it comes to hand writing, Mr Scriddle would be proud of his teachings .
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #1505
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrally View Post
I'm going to give them a go Rally, as you all know i have a rubber fetish, i NEED that fresh smell rubber. A new tyre is like opening up a fresh bag South American coffee beans, the arouma gives you a high & a little tiggle of joy .
Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #1506
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,354
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
I'm going to give them a go Rally, as you all know i have a rubber fetish, i NEED that fresh smell rubber. A new tyre is like opening up a fresh bag South American coffee beans, the arouma gives you a high & a little tiggle of joy .
You need to get out more...........that is all!!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #1507
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Casterton mission...wet day out

Rode to Casterton today,up the bitumen, pick up before mentioned bike books.
Light rain up, heavy rain back,big holes in road.

Big bike race on too,(pushie"s) , but maybe 5 bike cops(don't see them that often out here) and a heap of "scouts"/marshalls on motorbikes.
Waited (as instructed) @ upper Condah/Hotspur Rd intersection until (is it pentethalon of pushbikes?No that's an actual event correct?or what is the correct term here...) race contingent had passed, pretty impressive, they were putting in too.
Heard later they had had a few stacks yesterday in Winnap vacinity

Cop bikes R series 1200's, I think, looked neat.

$1.61 for premium @ Casterton
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #1508
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
Rode to Casterton today,up the bitumen, pick up before mentioned bike books.
Light rain up, heavy rain back,big holes in road.

Big bike race on too,(pushie"s) , but maybe 5 bike cops(don't see them that often out here) and a heap of "scouts"/marshalls on motorbikes.
Waited (as instructed) @ upper Condah/Hotspur Rd intersection until (is it pentethalon of pushbikes?No that's an actual event correct?or what is the correct term here...) race contingent had passed, pretty impressive, they were putting in too.
Heard later they had had a few stacks yesterday in Winnap vacinity

Cop bikes R series 1200's, I think, looked neat.

$1.61 for premium @ Casterton
I was in Casterton about same time yesterday and could have saved you getting a wet ar$e if I had known. I drove home in the middle of the marshalls and the Special Solo mob were behind me a bit of a way back.......at one stage we were all down to about 50k's due to poor visibility and the flooding on the road....was a nice day to be in my work cage with the heater roaring....I'm getting old
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1509
wdrally
binge rider

Oddometer: 43
Pissed Grumpy

Sick of rain / cold / rain / wet / rain u get the idea
Any time I can clear time to ride it pisses down.
Did get a trailbike ride in at Avoca a couple of weeks ago & had dust probs ffs!
Otherwise been either away or occupied for the last couple of months.
XR must drop in & grab a couple of stickers - itll give me an excuse to ride to Portland some far-off, dry day. Cheers all!
wdrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #1510
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

it is all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
Smooth @ warp factor 10, i believe should be the description there XR . How they hangin Larry, long time no hear ?
He is slow in the DSMRA group! But then again, he rarely crashes. Unlike others we know!!!!!!

Pelaton( ? spelling) of bikes. I was wondering if anyone has body armour for those lycra clad riders. The loss of skin after a pelaton pile up must be massive. I reckon they are crazier than us, riding practically naked at 50-70 k.p.h. only millimetres from other bikes.

Sick of wet weather too! I have my first Friday off next week. I had better spend it with SWMBO if I know what is prudent.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #1511
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
He is slow in the DSMRA group! But then again, he rarely crashes. Unlike others we know!!!!!!

Pelaton( ? spelling) of bikes. I was wondering if anyone has body armour for those lycra clad riders. The loss of skin after a pelaton pile up must be massive. I reckon they are crazier than us, riding practically naked at 50-70 k.p.h. only millimetres from other bikes.

Sick of wet weather too! I have my first Friday off next week. I had better spend it with SWMBO if I know what is prudent.
A pro peleton will travel at somewhere between 45 (flat stage) and 70kph(sprints and for the win) depending on the section of road and which stage of the race it is. Downhill the riders can reach speeds in excess of 100kph.

But saying that riding in a big peleton at 50kph is very excillerating as the world flies by and there is no engine other than your own body. I've been in a few goodies on the GVBR though I couldn't do it in my current state/shape.

Lycra really doesn't give ANY protection from the road surface as anyone who has watched the TdF or any of the other pro races can attest. Even single track XC racing doesn't use armour. Gloves and a polystyrene hat are it for protection

Body armour is only used in Downhill MTB where the riders get up around 60kph on single track with big drop offs and serious damage available with a fail. Some of the world cup and red bull down hill races are simply amazing to watch. Those boys and girls have fear glands bigger than my kids....

Oh and the Giro starts this weekend! woohoo!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #1512
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Question Oils aint Oils

Hey Gags, when I met you guys when you were on the Black Range Run and I was heading into work, you suggested an oil to try in the DR to see if it would fix some of the clutch sticking issues I have...what was it again?

Cheers

Pete
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #1513
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Cool2 Therapy Session

Well I got away somewhere around midday on Sunday for another therapy session. Dual purpose to this ride - 1. Have fun and 2. find Geocaches

Lots of fun was had and lots of caches found.

Lots of slab and a bit of rain and then spent a little time in the Drajurk State Forest which once I got off the main sandy track it was great. Tried to come off once in the sand but managed to keep her upright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgk5qqCxmw

Got back on the slab and the GoPro ran out of battery so I had to rely on the phone for images.

I ended up rolling on the ground after entering a track just over the border in SA. Front end went one way and the rear the other with me with a bruised and grazed lower left leg and a bruised and now painful (2 days after the fact) left shoulder.

Damn wet, greasy clay tracks.

The clutch lever is in the wrong spot but more than usable and the shift lever is....shifted. I'll get a pipe out and bend it back where it needs to be.

Admittedly the cache the road led to was worth it. Awesomely beautiful hide in a pine plantation surrounding the ruins of an old stone house.

Got back home around 7. Thankfully the roos behaved themselves.

Loved the ride, tumbles and all.

Cheers

Pete
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1514
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Nice little RR Pete.....hope your bumps and bruises are just that.....be careful riding alone!

Oh and this thread was heading for Pg 3....this is not on!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #1515
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

hamilton Swap meet

I will be in Hamilton on Sunday to check out the swap meet. I can bring stickers. I am not sure of time of day yet when we will be there.