Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #1561
alexmacca30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrally View Post
Slow: apologies from me also, sons soccer finals on Sunday & Im also nursing a dud rib from a tyre change gone bad. When my new front sprocket arrives I'll be ready to rumble (with the new mt60 rib-beater rear on)
Ahh...don't let a cracked rib stop you...only hurts on the big bumps and compression in corners....
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #1562
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
2 up to Mt Arapiles

Such a cracking day for a ride and I knew the GTR boys down south were hitting the road, so we thought best if we did the same....by the pics it looks as though the sun gods were shining on you blokes down south as well, blowing out the cobwebs on that beach ride I spose?
Objective was the Grampians, but took ages to drain stale fuel, charge the DR battery & get going so reviewd the options and aimed for Mt Arapiles instead
down to Goroke thru the scrub, nearly high siding it sneaking past a big mud puddle east off diggers lane, dirtied my pants too (on the outside)

backroads to Arapiles, via the Tooan state forest, a beaut couple of tracks there.(no pics, a bit busy keeping it upright, a DR is a handfull 2 up in sand!!

Snuck in the back way to Arapiles from the golf course track, v scenic, must have impressed old Major Mitchell back in 1836

Mother Hen came along too

A beaut little track across to Mitre Rock

which looks like this

Then a quick zip up to the top for a look at the vista, and by then it was nearly roo o'clock so we hightailed it home, via a no so short shortcut, thanks "Tracks4Australia" not! Met a bloke on a KLR, brand new everything, heading up to find a camp in the little Desert and sample the delights of his dehyd cooking.
Major 'sun in the eyes' for the last half hour mean't riding one handed shielding the eyes.
Saw a few skips too so they're about
Arapiles is a good spot and there are latte's and ales in Natimuk if anyone's looking for a day trip from down south, and its not muddy and wet either.
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1563
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,363
Laugh Another for the day trip bucket list

Nice couple of pics and RR, although.....as you had a passenger there is no excuse for not having more photos..
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #1564
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
That lady is not your wife!

Is that Donna on the back Wal?

I was in Halls Gap doing a slow ascent of Boronia peak Sunday morning. I made it up and back in 2.5 hours.

I received some funny looks from the true bush walkers. I was wearing a Yamaha cap!

We are back to gloom again on the coast. Depressing! I think I need a ride soon too.

I am going to the Pyrenees on 22/23 September to assist with the OTR weekend. I will take a bike but probably not ride it much at all. Colin MAcgowan is leading a ride for the older riders rather than everyone going with the" gun rider" brigade. I am taking my black girl friend for a weekend of camping. (Ella) The way she is going it could be her last.

XRman screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 12:12 AM
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #1565
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174

Oz Nutter screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 02:13 AM
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #1566
wdrally
binge rider

Oddometer: 43
a questions

XR,, what is the otr in the pyrenees? Otway trail riders? Found one of them in pyrenee bout a month ago with a broken leg. We had epirb so decided on boots n all call-in. Blokes name was Jake I think.
wdrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #1567
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790

Hey thats a good one for the this is... thread , NUTS
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #1568
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

yep

Quote:
XR,, what is the otr in the pyrenees? Otway trail riders? Found one of them in pyrenee bout a month ago with a broken leg. We had epirb so decided on boots n all call-in. Blokes name was Jake I think.
Yep it is Otway Trail riders; usually with very flash orange bikes and ride very hard.
Which track did you find him on? The mobile reception there is patchy at best. He is now Jake the peg, with a broken leg (sung to a Rolph Harris tune).

I would not go riding solo without an Epirb. Even then you can crash in such a way that you can't reach it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #1569
wdrally
binge rider

Oddometer: 43
correction

XR, he was near tigercat tk I think. Didnt mean to infer he was riding alone - had 1 with him and 1 off chasing phone signal when we arrived. Ambo service was impressive - walked in off main ridge rd in about an hour all up, offer of stretcher party was refused as a 4wd ambo was en-route from Stawell . Terrain at Avoca end is much rockier than Cactus Tk & west, where you led us & SA group a couple of years ago. Got to get up there & do more riding though - 1 or 2 rides & I still have little idea where anything is
wdrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #1570
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
XR, he was near tigercat tk I think. Didnt mean to infer he was riding alone - had 1 with him and 1 off chasing phone signal when we arrived. Ambo service was impressive - walked in off main ridge rd in about an hour all up, offer of stretcher party was refused as a 4wd ambo was en-route from Stawell . Terrain at Avoca end is much rockier than Cactus Tk & west, where you led us & SA group a couple of years ago. Got to get up there & do more riding though - 1 or 2 rides & I still have little idea where anything is
I hope you were on the KTM rather than the Aprilia. That end of the range can be unforgiving especially if it is wet. The rule is to use your worst tyres if it is dry and your best if wet. Either way the rocks chew them up, but at least with good tyre you might make it up some hills. You can see why the locals are good riders with those tracks in their back yard.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #1571
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Question What's happening out there in ADV land?

Only been on the BMW roadie, over to Port Fairy via Bessibelle/Orford, home via Yambuck, and The Crags, (nice corners on this little bit) and out to Cape Nelson Light House (Isabella's Cafe) again excellent corners on roadie.... must observe 80km limit here and be wary of surfers/cyclists etc
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #1572
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
Only been on the BMW roadie, over to Port Fairy via Bessibelle/Orford, home via Yambuck, and The Crags, (nice corners on this little bit) and out to Cape Nelson Light House (Isabella's Cafe) again excellent corners on roadie.... must observe 80km limit here and be wary of surfers/cyclists etc

Beware of the black wallabies too.

Dismal weather again today on the coast.

No-one else riding?

I drove our caravan back from Melbourne on Friday and Saturday. I handles a bit like my 1974 DT360A. (or a DRZ400 with a Mitas E09 in deep sand!!) OK in a straight line but the weight pushes it through corners and it has a understeer tendency. I am hoping that the load distribution hitch will help it a bit.

Her indoors is very happy with the proceeds of her superannuation funds being used to purchase the mobile holiday house. I am trying to work out where to fit my MTB. I mentioned that it would be OK on the bed with the wheels removed. Apparently that was a poor idea.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #1573
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,363
Eek

Geez it's quiet in the Triangle lately! Has everyone fallen asleep or are we just that busy?? Anyone been or going riding in the near future??? What about you Souf Ozzie contributors?? Where are you guys these days??

Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #1574
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Wink bmw's

R80 gs frame back from blaster/ 90% job, sanding and filing to do, sussing color for frame, going for 958 indigo blue (HP2 color) for frame/subframe, $28.50 in spraycan from geelong, researching from end mods...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #1575
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 691
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
Geez it's quiet in the Triangle lately! Has everyone fallen asleep or are we just that busy?? Anyone been or going riding in the near future??? What about you Souf Ozzie contributors?? Where are you guys these days??

Busy, busy,busy, busy Gags. Not realising that on our last bike ride i had pinched a nerve in my upper back and have been layed out ever since . But that hasn't stopped me from turning the key and giving DR-piggy the once over .

But at night i dream about bikes & riding, then wake up with my hand on it . Hopefully start of Octorber i'm good to go .