Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #181
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,363
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MierMoto View Post
Thanks GagsD2 for organising a great day out. There was a lot of map reading going on, but that's part of the fun. I had loads of fun. There were more tracks open than I thought there'd be. Great meeting you, johnboyklr and SlowPoak.

Sent from my T8697 using Board Express
A pleasure. A great day with some excellent company. Thanks Slow for jumping in with some track knowledge. It was good to see some roads i previously noted as closed were open.....just not one that i wanted to get over to Halls Gap. Slow to the rescue then.

As I am between cameras at the moment, I have to leave it up to the other guys for happy snaps, suffice to say, due to the quick pick up, there isn't a "rider down" shot......dammit. (Looked just like this too...well almost!!)

Be great to get a bigger group together for a weekend ride.....maybe even back up the Grampians and a camp over to enjoy some sherbs......

Cheers

Gags
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #182
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 691
Grampians Ride

To everyone who rode today, thanks for the company on a long ride & GAGs for organising. As for the rider down episode, DAMN those sand germlins, nasty little things. They even bent my rear brake lever, there's even teeth marks to prove it. No problems in helping out with mapping GAGs.

Meirmoto, where did you go ? Missed out on a good short cut.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #183
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
To everyone who rode today, thanks for the company on a long ride & GAGs for organising. As for the rider down episode, DAMN those sand germlins, nasty little things. They even bent my rear brake lever, there's even teeth marks to prove it. No problems in helping out with mapping GAGs.

Meirmoto, where did you go ? Missed out on a good short cut.
We had a 'quick' blat down Grampians Rd to Dunkeld.......I thought he was going to turn off with you guys but he kept going.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #184
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Oddometer: 151
I was getting worried about my tyres, but next time for sure. I had an absolute blast today. The terrain was just the right mix, we had a good lunch and yarn and the weather was perfect. The only negative: I hate sand!

2013 Tenere XT660Z
MierMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #185
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MierMoto View Post
I was getting worried about my tyres, but next time for sure. I had an absolute blast today. The terrain was just the right mix, we had a good lunch and yarn and the weather was perfect. The only negative: I hate sand!

Surely you rode sand in Seth Ifrica..........me too, by the way. Would suggest we get XR to teach us but...well.....let's not go there.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #186
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
Surely you rode sand in Seth Ifrica.....
Yes, but that's exactly why I avoid sand here in Ostraiya. Sand was the cause for my only off during my trip there in March.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #187
johnboyklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
grampians ride

thanks to everyone for the great ride had a ball . klr is allergic to sand nearly joined slow poaks effort, just had a bit more tank slappin going on.
johnboyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #188
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Sand riding.

Work sucks when its sunny outside, I'd rather ride in sand than shovel it.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #189
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Grampians Ride Photos

As requested, here are some photos from the weekend's ride out in the Grampians. I wish I could get photos of some of the roads, but if I stopped, I wouldn't have been able to get going again; loads of loose stones and rocks going up and coming down. Gags and Slow were showing off, disappearing in the distance, but aside from the short section of sand, I did quite well. I'm not the world's most experienced rider, well, not even the town's (maybe the street's), but I still love riding and that's all that matters...pat on the back to myself.

A quick chat to get our bearings as we just arrive in the park.

Our first break at the top of the first of the rougher climbs. It's here that Slow said 'It won't get any worse than this.' Funny enough, it went through both of our heads as we ascended the next hill.

One of the vantage points points SlowPoak knew about. The photos don't do it justice.

Lost of map reading and head scratching.

We dodged a few wallabies and emus down in the valley. Riding at the back didn't guarantee you missing them.

I didn't post a ride report for this as it was only a day, but I'll post it to my blog shortly.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #190
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
That Hurts Gags!

That hurts! Not only did I not get to ride on the inaugeral (? spelling) GTadvrider ride, but then you discount my ability to teach you how to ride in sand. Don't you know the saying," those who can't do teach."

I have spent too many hours on sandy whooped out enduro tracks not to know how it is done. But given a choice I would avoid riding in deep sand. It is tricky unless you have a light, well suspended ,powerful bike with sand tyres fitted. That is why top heavy adventure bikes struggle in sand.

I rode the same track on my XR250 that I had ridden on my Yamaha WRF290 and I ended up about 3 metres off the track in the bush thinking ' what happened there." I got out of shape in the bumps and the trail bike standard suspension just spat me off the track+ XR's short wheel base. The average Advbike suspension is probably worse than my XR ( it was modified)= cheap junk fitted to keep the price low ( KTM's excepted, which is why they Kost That Much!)

MY DRZ is going to Dr. Dwayne Alexander in Portland for a suspension refinement to suit my weight + luggage and my riding style ( or lack thereof) Plus I have a MSC steering damper ready to fit when I can stand up on 2 legs again. I think I will ditch the Mitas E-09 front tyre as well and fit something with deeper tread , a D606 maybe.

Another thing that I will have to do is get a neck brace. I am looking at 2 options; one is a Omegabrace S1 and the other option is a airbag style vest or jacket. The problem I see with the latter is that you probably can't use it with a backpack in situ and if you crash a lot it will slow you down regassing the airbag. There has been a long ADV thread on the equipment section. If you are in your 50's you should consider riding with a neck brace to avoid geting my current post crash injury ( central cord syndrome). I am lucky in that the altered sensation I have on my arms is slightly annoying. I could have ended up paralyzed!

Nice photos BTW.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #191
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Sand riding.

Nailed it all in one XRman, riding in sand takes practice espically in deep whooped out sand that can be found in the SW; ie. Digby state forest.

Lighter bikes are much more fun, thats why I fell in love with my DRzilla (sadly missed ). After buying the DR, the best investment I made was to set up the suspension and buy a RALLE-MOTO steering damper. As a safety upgrade, with nearly high-siding down a buck-shot road @ 110kph, I bought the damper & MAN was i impressed at how stable the front end felt @ high speed, side wind gusts, buck-shot / road base and my favorite SAND.

Once this little device is dialed in, & can be done on the run, it makes riding in sand less of a challange.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #192
jrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Grampians track file

Did you take a gps and log your track? It looks possible to share track (gpx) files on the forum. Could someone post it? It would be interesting to see where you went.
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #193
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Cool2

Geez XR, I don't know what bait I was using but I gotta get me some more....

I am most certainly the last person to cast dispersion at your misfortune as my offroad riding knowledge/ability could be spread out on a postage stamp, but I knew you be reading this and wishing like mad you were there........

I forgot about Dwayne being in Portland.....I learned of him when I was managing a now defunct motorcycle side of a business in my town.......very highly regarded I am told. I might need to meet him and have a chat!!

A lot of people are suggesting the MT-21 Pirelli as a good front tyre option.

I know you are getting an Omega sent to Tim's for appraisal and I would like to see that........something I need to consider being just on the right side of FIVE-OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
That hurts! Not only did I not get to ride on the inaugeral (? spelling) GTadvrider ride, but then you discount my ability to teach you how to ride in sand. Don't you know the saying," those who can't do teach."

I have spent too many hours on sandy whooped out enduro tracks not to know how it is done. But given a choice I would avoid riding in deep sand. It is tricky unless you have a light, well suspended ,powerful bike with sand tyres fitted. That is why top heavy adventure bikes struggle in sand.

I rode the same track on my XR250 that I had ridden on my Yamaha WRF290 and I ended up about 3 metres off the track in the bush thinking ' what happened there." I got out of shape in the bumps and the trail bike standard suspension just spat me off the track+ XR's short wheel base. The average Advbike suspension is probably worse than my XR ( it was modified)= cheap junk fitted to keep the price low ( KTM's excepted, which is why they Kost That Much!)

MY DRZ is going to Dr. Dwayne Alexander in Portland for a suspension refinement to suit my weight + luggage and my riding style ( or lack thereof) Plus I have a MSC steering damper ready to fit when I can stand up on 2 legs again. I think I will ditch the Mitas E-09 front tyre as well and fit something with deeper tread , a D606 maybe.

Another thing that I will have to do is get a neck brace. I am looking at 2 options; one is a Omegabrace S1 and the other option is a airbag style vest or jacket. The problem I see with the latter is that you probably can't use it with a backpack in situ and if you crash a lot it will slow you down regassing the airbag. There has been a long ADV thread on the equipment section. If you are in your 50's you should consider riding with a neck brace to avoid geting my current post crash injury ( central cord syndrome). I am lucky in that the altered sensation I have on my arms is slightly annoying. I could have ended up paralyzed!

Nice photos BTW.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #194
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post
Did you take a gps and log your track? It looks possible to share track (gpx) files on the forum. Could someone post it? It would be interesting to see where you went.
I'm working on it.....just because I have a GPS doesn't necessarily mean I know how to fly it properly........I will hopefully get something to MierMoto today or tomorrow and maybe he can do something with it.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #195
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
I will hopefully get something to MierMoto today or tomorrow and maybe he can do something with it.
Yip, I'll put this on a map and post it to the forum and/or my blog. Depending on whether the forum can handle the HTML link, which I think it can.

2013 Tenere XT660Z