Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #826
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 683
Thumb

[QUOTE=James Cook;18436609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
I'll go for the motel / hotel for the over-nighter .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Room is organized at Talbot on the 21st, $70 for room at the Talbot Hilton. Queen and single bed in room, you and Miermoto can decide who gets the big bed. I'll take the other room.
Sounds good James Cook, have no idea where that hotel is but all is cool.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #827
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Talbot Hilton.

Just checked out Google maps to find out where Talbot is and the Hotel / Motel looks good, hopefully good grub & cold beer after a long days ride.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #828
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
geek fest: let it begin

Good Weather: check
Beer fridge stocked: check
Salad and bread bought: check
Shed swept out: check
Dobie the Attack dog at Mother -in -Laws: no he likes her so no comments about killing 2 birds with one stone please.
BBQ chef ready: check . Adriano will even take off his shirt if Wal wants topless waiters.
PCs working/ mapping software discs ready.

Let the Geek fest begin!
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #829
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,345
Thumb

It was great to get together with all those who could attend today and a pity that Dean had to leave so early.

I am looking forward to being able to get together for a local ride and meet some more of those GTR contributors who couldn't make it today.

Thanks XR for being the gracious host.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #830
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Oddometer: 151
Yeah, sorry about that. Well, there'll be another one and I promise to post a summary of some options and step by step instructions.

And thanks for the great trip down to Portland with Slowpoak. Some great roads and scenery. Sorry that you had to stop so much so I could do the touristy thing. Great weather, great ride, great food and great company.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

2013 Tenere XT660Z
MierMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #831
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Thumb

Glad to have finally meet you XRman and special thanks for the beer & grub, please let Adraino know he did very well with the BBQ, the chicken & steak both beautiful.
It was great to get together and meet all the others who attended, many a story told about past & present riding trips, just a pity the 'Geeks' couldn't express their talents for the fondness of electrical equipment downloading.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #832
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
Great Afternoon

It was good to meet some faces to put with the Avatars.

It was a pleasure to play host. Just don't tell my wife that I can do it or she will expect greater things in future.

I have just had to go to my office to check for a break in at 5 a.m. it was a false alarm but the Police called in as back up. I guess I should let the night patrol and Police do their job, but I only live across the road and I usually get there first. 20 years of hockey left me with the ability to look after my self in close quarter combat Wal and Donna!
(I aim for clavicles and knee joints so that can't hit back and can't run)

I reckon that if Mier Moto lists his method ( assuming that we know nothing) in using "Tracks/Trails for Everyone" ( was that right Dean?) then we can get better use of our GPS units and communicate better with ride reports. The thought of stuffing the fire control maps into the USB port made me grin! Describing MM as Chook ( Enookway our previous PC nerd) on steroids was funny too .

Thanks for those who made the trek to Portland. I hope to see you on a ride in the near future when the medicos give me clearance. I am back in training after the weekend now. less booze except for Friday if Adriano passes the exam ( = time away from work for me in the future for rides) and less food and more exercise. Does this mornings loping semi sprint across the BP carpark count ??

Amber keep in touch if you want a test ride on that DRZ250. I thought my shed was crowded with bikes but Keith's collection makes mine sound small. How does he remember when to service them all, or is it like race horses birhtdays and they all get a service on a set date whether they need it or not!
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #833
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Ugh how awful. I can't imagine that, opening your home to strangers and then having a break in, even if it was a false alarm.

It was really good getting out and meeting some new people. Apologies for being late and not staying long, I was ready for bed, had a 1am start that morning and 2am for the next. At least I got Gags his beer, I don't feel like I stole his jacket now.
Eocnelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #834
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eocnelg View Post
Ugh how awful. I can't imagine that, opening your home to strangers and then having a break in, even if it was a false alarm.

It was really good getting out and meeting some new people. Apologies for being late and not staying long, I was ready for bed, had a 1am start that morning and 2am for the next. At least I got Gags his beer, I don't feel like I stole his jacket now.
Most appreciated too!! Hope you get some good use out of it!

Now, get your licence, get a bike and get out there and ride.

Not to take anything away from XR, but another DRZ250 in Bordertown for comparison.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #835
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
It was good to meet some faces to put with the Avatars.

It was a pleasure to play host. Just don't tell my wife that I can do it or she will expect greater things in future.

I have just had to go to my office to check for a break in at 5 a.m. it was a false alarm but the Police called in as back up. I guess I should let the night patrol and Police do their job, but I only live across the road and I usually get there first. 20 years of hockey left me with the ability to look after my self in close quarter combat Wal and Donna!
(I aim for clavicles and knee joints so that can't hit back and can't run)

I reckon that if Mier Moto lists his method ( assuming that we know nothing) in using "Tracks/Trails for Everyone" ( was that right Dean?) then we can get better use of our GPS units and communicate better with ride reports. The thought of stuffing the fire control maps into the USB port made me grin! Describing MM as Chook ( Enookway our previous PC nerd) on steroids was funny too .

Thanks for those who made the trek to Portland. I hope to see you on a ride in the near future when the medicos give me clearance. I am back in training after the weekend now. less booze except for Friday if Adriano passes the exam ( = time away from work for me in the future for rides) and less food and more exercise. Does this mornings loping semi sprint across the BP carpark count ??

Amber keep in touch if you want a test ride on that DRZ250. I thought my shed was crowded with bikes but Keith's collection makes mine sound small. How does he remember when to service them all, or is it like race horses birhtdays and they all get a service on a set date whether they need it or not!
Thanks Kym, we enjoyed the day catching up with the GT crew, your hostess with the mostest reputation secret is safe with me, well done, it was good to put real faces to the adv avatars. Not so good about the break in alarm, didn't they know you are usually up and dangerous by then anyway?
Cheers mate,
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #836
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Nasty holes along the border track

We were talking on sunday arvo at XRman's about these holes, I thought I'd repost a pic of one of them, about 10km sth of Red Bluff.
Pretty deep eh, then imagine in winter after a heavy rain, these suckers can fill to the top with water, having the appearance of just a bit of a puddle along the track, no big deal... Faaaark!
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #837
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Eek

[QUOTE=bigredroosta;18476201]We were talking on sunday arvo at XRman's about these holes, I thought I'd repost a pic of one of them, about 10km sth of Red Bluff.
Pretty deep eh, then imagine in winter after a heavy rain, these suckers can fill to the top with water, having the appearance of just a bit of a puddle along the track, no big deal... Faaaark!QUOTE]

Now that is just fucken awesome, would suck if you had the windows down on the troopy.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #838
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
swimming lessons.......

you would want to be able to swim in your moto gear!!!!!!!!!!
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #839
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredroosta View Post
We were talking on sunday arvo at XRman's about these holes, I thought I'd repost a pic of one of them, about 10km sth of Red Bluff.
Pretty deep eh, then imagine in winter after a heavy rain, these suckers can fill to the top with water, having the appearance of just a bit of a puddle along the track, no big deal... Faaaark!
Now, I'd take my camping chair, a few beers and a camera and enjoy the sports.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
MierMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #840
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Eek

I didn't hear your conversation about those but I just happened to be looking at a 4WD forum tonight and picture of a lifted Disco going through there and the edge you are holding was the same height as the roof guttering........phaark!!!