Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #1216
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 662
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredroosta View Post
Sunday

Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds northwest 20 to 35 km/h shifting southwesterly up to 40 km/h around midday. Overnight temperatures falling to around 4 with daytime temperatures reaching between 10 and 13.

Better take your skis, XR, they're also talking snow in the Gramps friday
Pretty farken COOL, a roosta .
Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1217
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredroosta View Post
Sunday

Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds northwest 20 to 35 km/h shifting southwesterly up to 40 km/h around midday. Overnight temperatures falling to around 4 with daytime temperatures reaching between 10 and 13.

Better take your skis, XR, they're also talking snow in the Gramps friday
Skis? more like floaties!

Thermals, wet weather gloves, snorkel; Check

My leg aches at the thought of donning skis in OZ conditions. Jap powder maybe , but not crud.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1218
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,270
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Skis? more like floaties!

Thermals, wet weather gloves, snorkel; Check

My leg aches at the thought of donning skis in OZ conditions. Jap powder maybe , but not crud.
Snow snob!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #1219
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
Snow snob!!!
Yep and anyone who has experienced real powder conditions is an instant convert( once they learn how to ski in the soft stuff).

Austrlaian condiitons=
crowded slopes with lots of beginner kamikazes yobos
overpriced lift tickets
icy snow conditions/wet snow/ crud bumps
rain and wind
inedible over priced food

Now think of the opposite to the above; that is what Japan is like; except for the Aussie yobos who have invaded some places.

My problem is the icy conditions would beat up my leg. I would probably not last one downhill slope before I was back in the hospital with a recurrent fracture.

But yes: I am a snow snob now, but any snow is better than none.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #1220
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Oddometer: 151
[QUOTE=GagsD2;18943570]
Quote:

Someone decided to dig a couple of little holes up that way and Moto plots mud maps of their mud puddles, etc......
Yes, they dig random holes and I help them in spatial context. I mostly use Etch A Sketch, but I've been know to pull out the set of crayons in an emergency.

We have two mines just outside of Ouyen, so I regularly visit them for GIS and database support. On the way there I look down every dirt road thinking where that goes, but the company's Toyota Orio probably wouldn't do well on them. I haven't been able to find the diff lock on it anyway.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
MierMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #1221
thehippo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey all!

Just dropping a line,
ive only just started out riding and am currently working on setting up an '83 XL600R for adventure touring duties. hoping to be able to go on a few rides with someone who is a 'veteran' nd might be able to spare some advice to some one new. Also is anyone planning to attend the Harrow vintage enduro race next month?
Thankyou!
thehippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #1222
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo View Post
Just dropping a line,
ive only just started out riding and am currently working on setting up an '83 XL600R for adventure touring duties. hoping to be able to go on a few rides with someone who is a 'veteran' nd might be able to spare some advice to some one new. Also is anyone planning to attend the Harrow vintage enduro race next month?
Thankyou!
I will beat Gags and tell you that I am the senior citizen on this forum. If I was any good at riding I would not have broken so many bones, but I do have a large ugly trophy that proves that I was a reasonable rider in my day. ( veteran class green triangle enduro club 1st place in the last century).

Perhaps if you follow me and do the opposite!

In Hamilton you have Juggling Ogre and WDrally. JO claims to be a novice and WD is a tidy rider with experience.

A few of us are travelling up to Ouyen to witness the start of the APC rally on the Harrow event weekend and then going to Harrow on Saturday night to watch the event next day. Look for middle aged blokes on Suzukis with fat tanks. (sorry Slow if you come: he has dark hair still)

BTW welcome
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #1223
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Quote:
Look for middle aged blokes on Suzukis with fat tanks. (sorry Slow if you come: he has dark hair still)
Dark hair, i wish , got the salt & pepper going there XR, some may even say i have the George Clooney / sliver fox look going .
And when it comes to huge fat tanks, do we reackon us middle aged DR riders are trying to compensate for other little issues we may have .
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #1224
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Thumb

Quote:
Just dropping a line,
Thankyou!
Welcome to the group of misfits know as the GTR, and Yes XRman is the senior citizen and co-founder of this forum.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #1225
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Eek

Quote:
I will beat Gags and tell you that I am the senior citizen on this forum.Yes you are and thanks for beating me to it, BUT, I think Sam might pip you on the age thing If I was any good at riding I would not have broken so many bones, but I do have a large ugly trophy that proves that I was a reasonable rider in my day. hmmmm ( veteran class green triangle enduro club 1st place in the last century).

Perhaps if you follow me and do the opposite!

In Hamilton you have Juggling Ogre and WDrally. and Mier MotoJO claims to be a novice and WD is a tidy rider with experience.

A few of us are travelling up to Ouyen to witness the start of the APC rally on the Harrow event weekend and then going to Harrow on Saturday night to watch the event next day. Look for middle aged blokes on Suzukis with fat tanks. (sorry Slow if you come: he has dark hair still)

BTW welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
Dark hair, i wish , got the salt & pepper going there XR, some may even say i have the George Clooney / sliver fox look going .
And when it comes to huge fat tanks, do we reackon us middle aged DR riders are trying to compensate for other little issues we may have .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoak View Post
Welcome to the group of misfits know as the GTR, you have no idea what you are letting yourself in for and Yes XRman is the senior citizen and co-founder of this forum ????.
Welcome indeed. Doesn't matter what you ride or how you ride it, just so long as you ride it. Check in regularly for any rides, don't be shy, and plz excuse all the verbal diatribe that may, or may not, be typed by someone called 'Slowpoak'
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #1226
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Laugh

Settled down there Gags, you don't want to scare them away . You still having breaky Sunday morn ?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #1227
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

That's the plan at this stage
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #1228
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Quote:
Just dropping a line,
Thankyou!
Yip, welcome to the group...and the Hamilton sub-group. I won't be able to teach you much, even though I seem to look like I should know a bit, if you judge me by my hairline that is.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #1229
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Stopped by Wimmera Motorcycles on the way back from Ouyen today and perved on the 800XC. Man, what a nice bike, but I just can't justify that much money. The piggy it'll have to stay for a while still.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #1230
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Well I had fun yesterday, pissed myself riding back from town in all that wind and rain but at least no one could see the wet spot.

One of you old leaky buggers know how to get the smell out of the seat?
Eocnelg is offline   Reply With Quote