Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #121
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,274
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cougar View Post
The last WA at the Classic had that huge ride over so maybe we can smuggle it into his V strom for eh ride back

Hope the dates align to get the spanner and then geet it to Blinman.. After all... I have a DR to trash up there
Thanks guys....I have put the word back through to try and get some more concrete dates and suggested the opportunity of the spanner travelling into the Flinders for the classic.......fingers crossed
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #122
huskygirl
HuskyGirl

Oddometer: 174
This is all working out perfect.

Adventcha and I just happen to be passing the Flinders Ranges at the same time as the classic and when the spanner could be handed over. Terrible shame we will have to meet some more people, talk a bit of bike and some of you might even teach me how to ride SA how it should be done.

Suggestion is we get one of you to be a link into the spanner group to sync up dates; we will be organising to chat by phone soon.

That way everyone can also contribute back into the classic fund raising.

Oh, and thanks GagsD2.
huskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #123
huskygirl
HuskyGirl

Oddometer: 174
VStrom

Oh, one more thing there is a risk Spanner will be on a VStrom in Tassie, I think we should ask Baton Spanner if he is up to multiple VStrom rides
huskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #124
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,165
IF these moons and planets align...........

and just so the 'Classic' side of things is taken care of and we keep our house in order - if anyone's considering joining us at the Angorichina Village (and you're most welcome to), accommodation is getting a little thin already. All cabins are taken, there are some dorm options but camping is plentiful.

If you could post your intentions on the Flinders Ranges Classic V - 2012 thread, it would be appreciated, that way we can keep our finger on the pulse and you can see what is avaialble etc.

We will be running our own traditional fund raising for Childhood Cancer but are happy for the Classic to be used as a vehicle for the continuity of your intentions.......and for official aspects we will have the Mayor of the Flinders with us. If he is needed for any official acts could you give us 12 hrs notice so we can find him and sober him up beforehand - it's just one of those shows!!!!!!....thanks. He's normally pretty reliable but does ride a Honda....

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #125
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Oddometer: 151
Hey everybody,

I'm new in the GT, having lived in Melbourne for three years prior. I posted a question yesterday about activity in this area and was pointed to this thread. I can tell you that I'm relived to see we have a number of enthusiasts out here. I've been going off my rocker, just using the bike to commute.

I'd love to get involved in a couple of local rides, so please let me know when you're organising. I'll keep my eye on the thread.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
MierMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #126
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,451
Welcome to the GT!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #127
jrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Mier Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MierMoto View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm new in the GT...

I'd love to get involved in a couple of local rides, so please let me know when you're organising. I'll keep my eye on the thread.
Welcome!

We haven't actually got very far just yet. XRman was the moving force, but he's broken himself so the planned weekend didn't come together. Now I think we're all waiting for a catalyst for a catch up, so if you are keen feel free to lob some thoughts around.

Most of these guys seem to be from SA, but don't let that worry you. With the Grampians in your back yard, you've got some great tracks waiting to be ridden. You could be come quite the popular lad.
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #128
MierMoto
Bike Freak

I don't know these areas very well at all, but I think might just be the driving force to get me out there. If I can get at least one person to join me, then I'd be happy as a start. What's the normal format for your trips?

I organise a trip this year for me and a mate in South Africa, but that's because I know the areas around there. Check my blog below. The Karoozin' trip. I'll post it here too when I finally get some time.

I see GoneAgain's done a bloody great trip around the place. That's what I'd like to start on.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #129
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,274
Talking

Greetings also. I have replied to your PM, as you will see.

Depending on what days you can ride, i.e. weekend or weekday, maybe just a spontaneous ride is on the cards. A couple of 'locals' to look out for, at least on this side of the fence, and not all have contributed here just yet:

me - GagsD2
Slowpoak
DakarDan
JamesCook
XRMan (when he isn't broken anymore)

apologies if I have missed any and hope these inmates don't mind me using their names.

Now that the Grampians are mostly open again, it would be interesting to go for a squirt. You up for that Slowpoak, Dan or JamesCook??

Alternatively, I will hopefully be involved in doing some recci rides for the 2012 Cancer Ride and it is always better with a few.

Be in touch

Gags
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #130
MierMoto
Bike Freak

That sounds like a plan. Let me know when you're heading out to the Grampians or doing the reccies. I'll make myself available. Anyone else wanna join in?

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #131
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
I want to join in

Me ! I want to join but I am having trouble with lashing my crutches to the DRZ!

I reckon a Grampians ride sounds very nice for you all. I am not jealous at all! Much!

Just an thought . I am going to have to wear a neck brace if I intend to ride in future. I will probably buy a touring S1 model Omegabrace.

After my bingle in the Little Desert I have what they call central cord syndrome. (A fancy name for whiplash GagsD2?) which is where my old neck space is reduced by disc protrusion ( hockey, snow ski, MX, enduro accidents) so a fast stop in deep sand belted my spinal cord into hard stuff. I am still tingling down my arms on occasions. This happens to old folks over 50 and gets worse with age.

I am having to wear a neck brace for another 2 weeks. This medical support looks very much like a Leatt brace where the pressure from your helmet is transferrred to your sternum and back so that you can't hyperflex your neck when crashing. I am not so sure that pressure to the sternum/ spine is a great idea so I am investigating the Omega brace with its force absorbing system and pressure away from the air way/ spine.

I found gasimports.com.au are the agent and they are going to send a S1 model to Tim Campbells shop in Portland for me to try. Anyone intrerested in trying it as well, please let me know so that I can tell you when it will be on trial.

Greetings to Mier Moto as well. What are you riding?
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #132
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Greetings to Mier Moto as well. What are you riding?
That's a bummer. Hope you can sort something out.

Good to 'virtually' meet you too. I ride a, '07 DR650. It's got over 30000km on the clock, but it's still going strong. Aside from a Safari tank and small mods here and there, it's still stock standard.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #133
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
Good choice of bike

Although I hope some GT riders have some exotic bikes for me to try, with my recent track record it might not be a great idea! There is nothing like a DR for simplicity and reliability. At least we Suzuki owners dont cry much over broken bling after a crash. My DRZ had a scuff mark on the side cover after my recent bingle. On the other hand I was busted!
I know there is a DR650 rider at Dunkeld ( Bruce) and in Hamilton Larry rides an Aprilia: both DSMRA members.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #134
MierMoto
Bike Freak

Sorry, DR it is for me at the moment. I'd love an 800GS or a Tiger 800XC. I'll even settle for a new Tenere, but we just bought a house, so there's no buying of any sorts for me for a while, especially not when it's the prices they go for.

I've seen someone in town with a yellow DR650 and someone else in the Sunday riders club with an Aprilia. Could be them.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

2013 Tenere XT660Z
Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #135
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MierMoto View Post

I see GoneAgain's done a bloody great trip around the place. That's what I'd like to start on.

living in Hamilton, theres no excuses not to go for a poke around in the Grampians plenty of great tracks in there...and lots of free bush campin places... the map you get from the tourist info place just south of Halls Gap shows a lot of tracks, plus highlights all the areas open for bush campin... you can prob see the same map on the vic national parks mobs website too...

just watch out for those freakin kangaroos in there

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote