Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #61
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,813
Jax, there really doesn't seem to be a way to brace the bike up underneath. I've used tiedown straps around the bars to the rafters to lift the front but I'm pulling the forks off and will be checking the head bearing also so there won't be any bars to hook to soon. Only other solution is to drain the oil, remove filter and block it up, removing the plastic guard first of course

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #62
imoAndy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool pics. Old cemeteries are really neat. I have that same trunk on my KLR, so much better than spend 3 or 4 times more on a givi:)
imoAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #63
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoAndy View Post
Cool pics. Old cemeteries are really neat. I have that same trunk on my KLR, so much better than spend 3 or 4 times more on a givi:)
I'm happy with the JCWhitney case. I bought the small one but since they're so cheap I might get the bigger one for trips. 2 are still cheaper than the Givi's and I haven't had any issues with water leakage or overall quality. I'm trying to figure out what to do for panniers since I plan on taking a 2 week trip on this bike in the spring. I'm seriously thinking about ammo cans or maybe the Wolfman Expedition bags.

Tom Waits
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #64
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, back to PA...
Didn't think I was going to find squat today

then I found the honey hole...

All those photo's were from the same house. Horrders paradice! Nice big pond out back. The stuff wasn't all that old but the house was in bad shape. Wonder when the guy died or moved out?

Happy St. Paddy's Day...soon

Tom Waits
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #65
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Seriously...does this make my butt look fat?

I know, they're overkill but I do camp a lot and HT had this killer deal for the DR650 kit ($570 all inclusive). How could I pass that up? I gave serious thought to soft bags (Wolfman Expedition) but by the time all was said and done I was almost up to this price and I like having extra space. Plus, the racks are close to fitting the Tiger and with a few extension plates they'll work so all the better. Now if travel season would just get here.

Tom Waits
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #66
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Just caught this thread, I see you're wandering in my general area.Let me know if you want any recommendations for decent dirt roads.
I've been staying in the last couple weekends, bald rear tire and a sprained ankle are my current excuse. I'll be up for wandering soon though.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #67
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
Just caught this thread, I see you're wandering in my general area.Let me know if you want any recommendations for decent dirt roads.
I've been staying in the last couple weekends, bald rear tire and a sprained ankle are my current excuse. I'll be up for wandering soon though.
Man, that would be great. Hawley isn't far away and I'm still getting my legs when it comes to finding dirt to ride on. By all means, stay in touch. I don't really have any riding buddies around these parts and finding good routes would be awesome. I normally just head south of the border and turn right. That always brings up something.
Hope the sprained ankle wasn't bike related.

Tom Waits
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #68
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Man, that would be great. Hawley isn't far away and I'm still getting my legs when it comes to finding dirt to ride on. By all means, stay in touch. I don't really have any riding buddies around these parts and finding good routes would be awesome. I normally just head south of the border and turn right. That always brings up something.
Hope the sprained ankle wasn't bike related.
no just missed a step coming down some stairs and folded my foot over
ironically I did drop the bike on some ice just a week or two before and was unhurt

most of what I've been doing so far is within Wayne County and nearby. Mush Paw Road, River Road, Upper Woods Road etc etc

been recording them on my GoPro that my wife got me for xmas.
I posted them in other threads but I don't think you'd mind them here too. I'll just do the links

This is the one I fell at the end of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1WO...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkbc...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_ur...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #69
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Northern Pa

Just stumbled across your thread. Nice!!! I,m near Tunkhannock, PA and just started dual sporting last spring. Tons of dirt around here. So many places to explore. Give a shout when the weather gets better. I will try and expand your knowledge down in this area. Need to get up your way more too.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #70
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
no just missed a step coming down some stairs and folded my foot over
ironically I did drop the bike on some ice just a week or two before and was unhurt

most of what I've been doing so far is within Wayne County and nearby. Mush Paw Road, River Road, Upper Woods Road etc etc

been recording them on my GoPro that my wife got me for xmas.
I posted them in other threads but I don't think you'd mind them here too. I'll just do the links

This is the one I fell at the end of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1WO...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkbc...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_ur...p9PH0M0y6Buxjf
Great vids. The GoPro takes great vids. There are great roads close by and it all starts to look the same between here and there. I swear, every time I go out I can't find my way back to the same place again. That's quite alright by me. I welcome anyone that's from the area to post pics and vids here of their local terrain. That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabigwoods View Post
Just stumbled across your thread. Nice!!! I,m near Tunkhannock, PA and just started dual sporting last spring. Tons of dirt around here. So many places to explore. Give a shout when the weather gets better. I will try and expand your knowledge down in this area. Need to get up your way more too.
I think there's good stuff towards Cayuga Lake but I haven't explored it yet on the bike. I lived up there before I got started riding. Time to check it out now with the DR. Tunkhannock isn't far from here and I love that area. I hate what the gasholes have done to the roads getting there though but I'm often down that way once the weather is nicer. I'm all in if you want to show me the local roads. I stop and get distracted though when I find old houses

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 07:32 PM
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #71
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 137
When the weather breaks & the snow's gone, you might head north for some variety. Lots of dirt roads & state forest roads (truck trails) for sure between Binghamton & Syracuse on both sides of Rt. 81 as I recall. I sure wish I was back there to enjoy the riding. Dirt roads are extremely rare around here & single-track even more so.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #72
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
When the weather breaks & the snow's gone, you might head north for some variety. Lots of dirt roads & state forest roads (truck trails) for sure between Binghamton & Syracuse on both sides of Rt. 81 as I recall. I sure wish I was back there to enjoy the riding. Dirt roads are extremely rare around here & single-track even more so.
I've been spending too much time in PA I guess. You're right, it's time to get back on the other side of the border and find my way around. I'll have to keep up on the Finger Lakes regional thread and see what's going on.
Do you ever get back up this way?

Tom Waits
Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #73
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 137
I get back once in awhile to see family & friends. Been trying to relocate back to CNY for some time, but the economy still sucks, especially for my profession- architecture. My buddies up there are hard core riders, but they keep it to pavement & smooth gravel for the most part. I like to get dirty as well as burn up some asphalt. I guess that's why I'm currently riding a Wee. For what you're doing, the DR & Tiger are outstanding choices.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #74
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's a tough area to make a living, that's for sure. Not much building going on in these parts.
I couldn't be happier with these two bikes but I seem to be riding the DR more and more. I'll be riding it south on a two week trip this spring. Plan to do the Smokies, Ozarks and Delta areas. It'll allow me to hit more back roads and find better stealth camp sites.

Tom Waits
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #75
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally found someone that knows how to ride dirt that would let me tag along. Sad part is his DRZ is for sale and he's not replacing it but buying a snowmobile. He's a hell of a rider on his bigass Harley and knows his shit on trails too. I have to make sure the DRZ doesn't sell somehow
First we hit a power line trail. Dumped the DR 3-4 times there. I suck at trail riding and am a n00b so I'm cool with dumping it. Glad he was around to help me out of a few bad situations.

The DR got a new IMS tank this week...check it out...

powerline trail, muddier and ruttier than it looks in the pics, trust me...

washed out section from last falls flooding...

DRZ for sale $2600, PM me if you're interested, it's on Binghamton NY CL. Please don't buy it

Taking a break. I'd dropped the bike 4 times I think in the first hour.

Then my buddy showed me river trails I didn't even know existed...1 mile from my house! Thanks Al, I can get plenty of practice here whenever I want. Don't buy his DRZ

trust me, none of todays riding was as dry as these pics appear. Very muddy and slick.

a better image of the conditions...

trying to avoid a small hill climb I came to a deadend in this crap, did the hill...

What a workout. I'm sooooo out of shape. Today was a good experience and I learned a lot. Expect to see more pics from the river section. I didn't drop it once there and had plenty of gooey crap to go through so I guess I learned a little today.

Here's a few more pics from my mentor today.

Catching my breath...

BTW, that DRZ is a nice bike and well taken care of. I think it's an 02. I hate to see him get rid of it but it's a good running machine if anyone nearby is interested...did I just say that?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 10:48 AM