Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #391
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

So then came the modern after market alternators. They are the simplest solutions but they aren't cheap.

I like your idea of more wire to make more electricity. I think you will have to completely rewind both items, stator and rotor, to get the most out of it. The diameter of the wire is a factor but if you decrease the diameter of the wire too much it can't carry the juice?
have already done a bit of research on bumping up output of original alternator. rewinding stator gets into more complications, but rewinding rotor is doable. there's very few shops that will rewind rotors. output is raised but not as much as rewinding both.

really don't want to spend $500+ for an aftermarket alternator. really prefer to rework stock parts. that way if it breaks, parts are readily available to fix.

just took this pic with Nikon D2H with 50mm f2 Nikkor manual lens, iso 200 at low jpg resolution
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #392
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

been experimenting running Gerbing heated gear with stock alternator. watching volt meter pretty closely and keeping RPM's up. so far no problems with battery running down.

running Gerbing heated jacket, heated pants and gloves with a dual controller. have only ran down to mid twenty's. controller at about 1/16 turn on .. plenty warm.

just got heated socks in tonight, which plugs into pant legs. pants then plugs into jacket. gloves is on a separate circuit.

stock alternator, no problems supporting above heated gear all at same time with headlight on.
if one does lots of stop and go, that might be an issue.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #393
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Hey,

It looks like you're getting some good advice and doing a good job with that old "S" bike, so keep her going!

Since you mentioned solid state ignitions and reliability, heres my comment: Some guys like and get along well with points and some don't. Me? I hate em. Didn't like em in my Austin Healey, my MG or the VW Bug.

I bought a used R90/6 back in 80-something and found out later that the cam tip had been broken off and replaced with a screw and washer. Unfortunately, the screw's hole wasn't quite centered and those cam tips are notoriously soft, so pretty soon I had a real problem on my hands.

My solution was to install a Boyer Micro Digital solid state ignition system and to make a longer story short, I set the timing sometime in 1989 and never touched it again for over 12 years and 100K++ miles. I even rode the bike 24/7 for three years through Virginia and New Jersey Winters. The bike never failed to start after sitting out all night in 20 degree weather and never failed to run like a top. My current R100RS engine is equipped with a more modern Omega crank fired system and thats been operating flawlessly for a while too.

OTOH, While riding through some tiny out-of-the-way desert towns 1000 miles from home at twilight, I have had that nagging thought: "Damn... What am I gonna do I do if that fancy ignition system craps out in a place like this?" but so far, I've been lucky!

PS: If you add a Dyna Booster to your points system, I hear that you can get 40K or so out of a set of points!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #394
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post

PS: If you add a Dyna Booster to your points system, I hear that you can get 40K or so out of a set of points!
True. I've got at least 30 on mine and not even close to running out of rubbing block. I've only greased the cam twice in that time.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #395
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,029
If you convert to solid state ignition it is recommended to carry all the parts removed so they can be reinstalled should the box fail. Has happened and riders did just that. I always worry that I won't be able to remember how it all goes back together.

On the other hand with the addition of the box that works off the points all the parts are left in place and to eliminate the box, should there be a problem, is the moving of one wire. (I think it's one, might be two)

Adding the box and keeping the points is a win win situation.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #396
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,349
[QUOTE=mymindsok;

My current R100RS engine is equipped with a more modern Omega crank fired system and thats been operating flawlessly for a while too.

OTOH, While riding through some tiny out-of-the-way desert towns 1000 miles from home at twilight, I have had that nagging thought: "Damn... What am I gonna do I do if that fancy ignition system craps out in a place like this?" but so far, I've been lucky!

[/QUOTE]

The Omega on both of my 90S bikes are set up with a DPDT switches, so either system can be selected. I used the switches mainly for setting up the Omegas for the best performance, but the redundancy is confidence inspiring.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #397
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
I run a slightly modified stock charging system and a small R65 size battery for weight reduction and I think they work better than the "boat" batteries. The Mono batt box is made for the smaller battery. Just use BMW's rubber battery straps. I have never had any charging issues other than two rotors going open. One had about 150,000 miles in two different bikes and the other about 60,000 miles if I remember right. I run with my headlight on all the time and I use a heated vest all the time but no more. I use the rubber diode board mounts. I rarely see them fail on tons of bikes I work on. I run a ground wire bolted to the diode board to the front starter mount bolt. I am guessing about every 40,000 miles I replace the B+ wire for it for getting too hot and hard. That wire and connections are over loaded as far as lasting forever is concerned. I see no reason for any further mods.

I run the stock bean can. I have never seen any problem with the advance in them under normal use. I do adjust the weight stops in order to get the right timing parameters. In my experience checking a lot of bean can's timing, the weight stops need to be adjusted about half of the time. Once done, it will never need it again. I did have an ICU quit at 98,000 miles once. Call me crazy but I don't even carry a spare. I figure 100,000 miles and so many years later that, if I did carry a spare, it would be lost or messed up by time I needed it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #398
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

looks like the R90S will be left alone...

lookie what's en-route... R80G/S PD that's gone through a frame off restoration. entire bike was disassembled and rebuilt by Greg Hutchinson (Beemerguru)

Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #399
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
looks like the R90S will be left alone...

I was secretly hoping that this would happen. Nice work on the S and congrats on a pretty looking G/S - it'll serve you well on your trip (s).
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #400
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
I was secretly hoping that this would happen. Nice work on the S and congrats on a pretty looking G/S - it'll serve you well on your trip (s).
thanks fishkens... was getting ready to dual sport the R90S ... nothing radical, mainly dual sport tires, bash plate and heavy duty pannier racks. now only BMW factory panniers are going on R90S.

pretty happy to get a ground up restored G/S that needs very little. really thankful for the help from everyone. my airhead education forced by working on R90S should transfer over to the G/S.

feels really good knowing for an airhead, I can handle virtually anything and/or know where to find help. even if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere!!!

here's factory tool kit on the G/S

soooo glad I ended up with a monolever G/S

_cy_ screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 09:40 AM
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #401
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

A nice combination in the stable. I personally wouldn't have minded any changes to the R90S but I guess it will be better off with minimal changes. And yes everything, pretty much, so far is transferable. I think you are getting more juice, electricity, but you may want more again. Not sure how much a G/S has but I don't think any of the Airheads are really modern in this respect. Still it might be enough for you.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 12-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #402
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

G/S already has a few improvements designed for RTW travel. front forks re-valved, sprung and front brace added. etc. etc. every bearing and seal including motor (pistons balanced to 1/10 gram) and transmission internals has been done.

shipper just picked G/S this morning... about 7-10 days to me. can't wait!!!

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 04:43 PM
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #403
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Congradulations ! You are a very lucky man.

Charlie

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #404
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

arrived in Tulsa last Friday in a semi trailer designed specifically for hauling motorcycles ..... battery was almost dead. charged battery, engine fired right up ..

rode 12 miles without tags, figured I'd better wait until Monday until title is transferred with new tags. pretty happy with the G/S! ... much lighter than R90S.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #405
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,884
Congrats! It really is a beauty!
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote