Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
Looks gorgeous. I like that for 2012, HD quietly stepped up the rideability.
Congrats.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Funny thing about the V-Rod is that the most of the HOG crowd shuns that bike because it's "not a Harley".
Often Parroted myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
The V-Rod Muscle really looks nice, but the seat is the most God-awful thing they have put on a bike in a long time.
You've put some miles on one then? Or are you just talking out your ass?

The Muscle has the old ergos... The DX Night Rod has been altered and is indeed comfortable for longer rides.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 766
GoPro coming

More GoPro vids will come as soon as I am done testing on the GS.

As to the seat, it is good for long range. I have put several tank full runs between stops on it and it is one of the few stock seats that are good out of the box. The XR seat was trash, the NRS seat is a keeper; will report more on that after the fall run.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Congrats on the new bike, I've never rode a V-Rod but I sure would like too. I think it would be cool if Harley made a tourer out of the V-Rod motor, but I'm not holding my breath.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 80k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thumb

Rudolf35, you have a great thread going here. Keep the posts coming.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #36
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post

Black Helicopters!!
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #37
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
Congrats on the new bike, I've never rode a V-Rod but I sure would like too. I think it would be cool if Harley made a tourer out of the V-Rod motor, but I'm not holding my breath.
Inmate Danii built one.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #38
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Any updates ?

Hey, just checking in on ya' Rudolf35.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #39
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked More is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
Hey, just checking in on ya' Rudolf35.
merc16,

More is on the way. I have a HID H-11 kit in delivery. Once that is in, the install will be documented. As of now all is working as it should. The PollyHeaters are working like a champ - I got the high and low wires crossed at the switch and will flip them when I dig into the HID setup (work like a champ thought; keeping my hands toasty in 40F and up weather - for colder weather it is Gerbing time).

The bike now has 3,680 miles on her and all is well. The stock tires are holding up great, keep them at the stock 38F and 42R PSI. When it comes time for a new rear tire, should be at around 8 to 9k, I will go with the Pirelli Night Dragons; sure as heck not going to pay $300 plus the stealership charges for a tire.

Had the bike on a short 200 mile trip and it is comfortable. I rode out full tanks with the stock seat and there is no issue for me. I pushed the "remaining" miles reading down to below 10 miles remaining and it worked; got 154miles to that tank. Mind you I was sweating bullets but it took me to the gas station with 8 miles remaining. I put in 4.8gal, that was close - LOL!!!

rudolf35 screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 05:32 AM
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #40
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb Update on HID

As noted in the older posting, I installed a HID kit (H-11low beam), it is still working like advertised. Mind you, I have HID in all of my scooters so there was not suprise for me, but I thought a update was in order.

The HID H-11 is a heck of a lot brighter than the stock H-11. During daylight hours I can see cagers doing a double take when the see the WHITE light - point won - they see me! At night, there is a clear cut of line on the low beam reflector, just like my GS. I have the headlight adjusted like I had the stock H-11 and so far not a single driver flashed me due to being to bright.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #41
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,402
I like this bike, and I like this thread. Keep it up, please.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #42
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I am double WTF'ed! Between the V-Rod and the XR1200 the pirate crew has no clue. Not a pice of chrome in sight and non to be had.

What is even funnier, is the fact that the Sport Bike crew, are the only ones who acknowledge the two ani-Harleys; but who cares? I like them and that is what counts!
Evil thoughts will be punished. When you die you will go to hell where Satan will force you to ride a Heritage Soft Tail over train tracks and potholes for eternity. Harley loves you. Harley wishes you to be happy. You will now shut up. This thread does not exist...
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #43
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Puke Not a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Evil thoughts will be punished. When you die you will go to hell where Satan will force you to ride a Heritage Soft Tail over train tracks and potholes for eternity. Harley loves you. Harley wishes you to be happy. You will now shut up. This thread does not exist...
I know you where joking, but I was at a stealership (just getting a oil filter) riding the NRS. A sales slug approached me and was pushing the new "Narrow" Soft Tail. I let him rattle on and then queried about HP. The reply was out of the mother-ships playbook: "Oh, power does not matter. It is the looks".

Nothing to add to that; it stands on it's own absurdity.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #44
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb 6k and counting

The VR now has 6k and it is time for a oil change. Nothing scary about that save the price of oil. $26 for a 5qt jug #%^€>%~!!!!
The bike has not used a drop in the last 3k and the rear tire is good for at least another 3 to 4k.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #45
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb First real road run

I just completed my first "real" road trip with the NRS. I took the NRS on my Abilene Texas test loop - 423 mile loop from the DfW area to Abilene, TX and back to the DfW area via US180 (no interstate usage). All I can say is that I have no worries about the fall 5k trip.

Seat - the seat worked out fine. During the whole 423 miles I never felt tired or worn down. When my hip started to feel a bit cramped, I simply rested my legs on the top of the forward controls and all was well (just about a mile that way and all felt better to return to normal riding position). On very long trips I will put a bicycle jell seat pad in the "man junk" area of the seat but that I do on all my bikes to keep things happy.

Mileage - well we know NRS and the lack of high mileage. On this run, with 6k on the motor, the fuel mileage came out at 38mpg. Not bad for the bike but my XR does 52mpg on the same test run. It is what it is.

Motor - now this is where I am all smiles. In 5th doing 70mph or 100mph, no difference was felt. It just does it. Many times on the test run I had to pass (wanted to pass) doddlers and a simple twist of the throttle did it. No need to drop a gear, just twist and go. Since the motor is so smooth I found myself at or over 90 (TX back road speed limit is 70mph) many times; not a issue with me but the DPS troopers take a dim view of that - at least in the urban areas, out west they pass you while you are at 90mph or better).

Spitfire wind screen - the Spitfire wind screen did a bang up job. It kept the wind off my chest and from the mass of yellow splatters, it also kept a massive amount of bugs off me (screen looks like I lost a battle with a yellow paint can).

240 Scorcher rear tire - the rear tire was no issue but I did note that due to the width it has a tendency to not knowing what side of a tar snake to ride on. It does not slip, just rides left or right on a tar snake, with the front running down the center of the tar snake.

All in all I like the setup and the NRS is good to go for road trips. I will do a "spring" road run in the next few weeks and that will be the final test for the ergonomics and the motor.