Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #136
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,420
3 years

investment from friends and family

Today: Notice of termination of prosecution
Reason: determination
Resolution: Notice of Allowance and Issue Fee Due ($1390)

What it means is there among the legal stuff, from my lawyer,"Congratulations on obtaining the patent."

Spud in no longer patent pending. Tie the loose ends and I hold [thank you Lord] a U S Utility Patent.

Yes, please.

PapaYolk screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 08:44 PM
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #137
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,792

in fact for all your hard work I'll throw another one in ... congrats to you and may you sell a bunch of them

Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #138
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Oddometer: 327
Well, there I was, all fat, dumb and happy, and then I ran across this thread. Makes me real glad that I was provided with a broad flat forehead to absorb the energy from the flat of my hand...

So R&D is an eternal thing and if you get an itch to head for the east side of the state (RR here) I'd be honored to accompany you. Of course, You'd have to be careful. Watching a geezer messing around with more poles than bug on it's back and a 35 year old tent, you'd be giggling so bad you'd need suspenders to keep from just floating off. So I raise a tall one in your direction.

The Meandering Geezer in Idaho Escape from Idaho metalcarver.com Panoramio
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #139
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,792
Do you still have the production deal with the utility or camper trailer guy?

Any thoughts from him on shelter when the unit is open and it starts to rain?

I need one of these to mount on a sidecar frame
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #140
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Do you still have the production deal with the utility or camper trailer guy?

Any thoughts from him on shelter when the unit is open and it starts to rain?

I need one of these to mount on a sidecar frame

Yes, Jayson of Cozy Cruiser holds the manufacturing rights. I picked up spud II at his shop last week and and will be testing the new top at City of Rocks as soon as I get it done. The shelter top meets the same design criteria as Spud; Dismount bike, retrieve beer, open beer and hold in left hand-- access bed and cargo with right. Top: Dismount bike, retrieve beer, open beer and hold in left hand-- Install top with right hand (no zips, snaps, Velcro, or shock-rods), sip beer, pull rig open with right hand, sit on dry bunk out of rain and finish beer.

I'm thinking of making some long thin signs to post on fence posts like the BermaShave signs I saw as a kid.

Out At The Bar?

Had Too Much Bud?

Don't Drive Drunk!

Snooze In Your Spud.

Idaho Bedroll

Here's a pic of Spud II at the coast last week. I meet a fellow who showed how well the printed word still works at promotion and persuasion.

Met Cliff as I sat in spud watching the sets roll in. He baited me by the handing out of a post card with an exotic Cambodian setting centered around his girl. She, Bulgarian, became his travel companion in the far-east. Cliff watches me flip the card. I ask, "Bunnies?" and puzzle over what I'm reading. [SNAP]

"Well, because you asked." Cliff smiles as he holds up a small packet. "May I take a picture of you with Bunny teeth?"'

I peel the teeth and slip them under my lip. Bunny teeth smile.

snap

Cliff's girl.

It pleases me, this fraternity of motoring odd fellows I find myself among.

Safe ride, brother.

Yes, please.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #141
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Wow, fantastic trailer idea and you're a great writer.

Ignore the suggestions to add. Simple rocks.

I enjoyed the pics in your initial pages. I did a lot of kayaking/rafting in that Riggins/Whitebird area.

I might have to suit up this coming weekend and head that direction.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #142
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
bike

800cc...hummmm.....how well does that thing pull a trailer in the hills?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #143
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4 View Post
800cc...hummmm.....how well does that thing pull a trailer in the hills?

I went two teeth down on my rear sprocket and one up on the front. Four speed with overdrive. Climbs hills and pushes strong headwinds at 60-70 mph. Runs 75-85 in fifth on the flats. That's with about 100 lbs load in Spud (220lb total).

Strong winds. Having never pulled a trailer with a bike before, I assumed strong side winds would have the trailer push the pull rig about like a rudder. Not so. The force at the hitch accents counter-steer, lessens the force needed at the bars to shoulder the wind. When the wind shifts and eddies, the bike flips it's lean with lighter steering than with out a trailer, and the track remains true, Spud acting like a sea anchor.

Rode to town and bought some stove pipe, stowed it in spud and stopped to pick up 'Panda for Babe. A lady from John Day with her mother in tow, on the way to fly out to New England for a couple weeks of watching fall paint the countryside, came up to me beaming a smile. "I saw you on YouTube! My dad is going to be so surprised. He showed me your camper and all the wonderful pictures from your site. He's not going to believe I met you." I introduced myself. She snapped pictures. At 35k views on the Tube, this is not the first time this has happened.

Yes, please.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #144
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 425
Great thread.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #145
75bronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Dude, that is something.
I like. Good for you.
75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #146
potatorider
live once

Oddometer: 17
Congrats on the paperwork

Nice to see a rider's ideas become "officially" his own. And Im even more excited that you are my fellow Idahoan! Hope to see many more of your trailers on the road.

If you're gonna be dumb... You gotta be tough.
potatorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #147
BigJon442
n00b

Oddometer: 1
The Spud

PapaYolk Congradulations on recieing your patent. After seeing your youtube video, I started construction of my own prototype, I am 3/4 constructed now. With respect to you, I would like to buy plans to make my unit legal. With all the reasurch I have done, I still have not found out how or where to get them. I have been getting a lot of interest in the Spud, here on the east coast, as I talk with people. I hope we can communicate, you have a great idea going
BigJon442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #148
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

Attack of the Spud clones. I receive a lot of requests for build plans. If I sold plans they would pop up on the internet and it wouldn't be right to my exclusive manufacturer (Cozy Cruiser Inc.) But the rig is so simple, many will clone their own one-of Spuds for personal use. If so, I request they ride their ways to Roswell, pay a six-pack to the inventor, and let me sign their rigs. BigJon442 gave a donation to the Boise Mission in place of a cross country trip and six-pack.

So, if you've got a spud in the oven, let's man up to the piracy like Big Jon and post some pic's here.

Yes, please.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #149
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Just catching up on your thread. Good to see this thing is getting produced. Awesome idea and wishing you the best on everything! Looking forward to seeing you pull the final product on here too.

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #150
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along

milestone

It was the up-close rubbing of cyber-elbows here at Adventure Rider that first awakened my need for a product like Spud, then bolstered my writing voice with an easy, honest tenor, as among friends. After a bit of rough handling by the IRS I was tapped and needed a front tire to get Spud to Eugene. Inmates offered help, and as with each "At-a-boy" and cyber slap to the back on this thread, the knowing of those offers and well-wishes has helped me much these last 3 1/2 years.

Thank you all.

Tim Mazac; aka Papa Yolk.

So please, tip a glass to my achieving at the most ambitious thing I have ever tried and take credit for prodding my lazy ass along.

Yes, please.

PapaYolk screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 08:33 PM