ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #61
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,351
First, my qualifications: I'm an old fu*ker, too. Camping and crawling around on my hands and knees just ain't cuttin' it for me. I have a nice Big Agnes bag with the sleeve on the bottom for a nice 3" air mattress. I even have a LuxuryLite cot that is the best thing yet for sleeping low to the ground. Once I'm down there, I can sleep pretty well. I'd love to find something that would allow me to camp on my dream trips around the country. So I'm glad you're thinkin', pard.

I keep coming back to this thread for those reasons. But here are a few of my concerns, which you should hear about before you go spending good money on a patent lawyer. I know they don't come cheap and if you find some lawyer who says he'll do it for a cut of the profits. BEWARE. Especially in the legal business, you get what you pay for. Trust me on that one... I am a lawyer.

Where is the protection from a) Rain and b) bugs, such as mosquitoes?

What if the site you want to camp at is a distance away from the parking area for the bike? E.g. rallies?

What if you want to change clothes? Or, heaven forbid, your S.O. comes along and isn't quite interested in changing into her dainties by the side of the road?

Now maybe you have answers for these, maybe you don't care, but if you hope to market this thing, you should broaden your target audience, not narrow it. Tents sell because they can be used by all kinds of people in all kinds of circumstances, can be carried in car or motorcycle luggage, are light weight, kids, dogs, grandpa can fit.... yada, yada, yada.

The Uni Go and the Uni Track and many other similar luggage trailers have not made a very big splash. Maybe that is because they are missing what you have in your rig. Or maybe this is a very small target audience and the potential for buyers is small. As fun as your pictures are and as much as we love to see the roadside hillbilly shots of your makeshift campsite by the side of the road with a gun in prominent display, I just don't see this thing selling much, unless you address these kinds of issues. The only thing missing from the pics is a jug o' moonshine.

Not to disparage you from the great American dream. I'm just throwing a little good ol' reality and skepticism your way. These are questions potential buyers will ask, especially when you find that you've got to charge $2500 to get this thing built proper and make it marketable, with a decent website, e-commerce, whatever. Keeping it in the family or building a few for your buds might work out just fine. Marketing to the world is another thang altogether.

Just trying to be real here bro, No spite intended.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #62
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Draechon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,116
Thumb

This is awesome! I've seen motorcycle camping trailers towed by Harley dressers that convert out at a campsite with a fridge, inflatable queen size bed, A/C, and everything that retail for ~$4k (word of mouth, did not ever investigate myself), but would personally be much more interested in a simple set-up like this. That extra 30 minutes to set up or break down camp would come in handy.

Good luck with your design. I've bookmarked your website and plan to check in to see progress.
__________________

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #63
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Roswell Idaho
Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
First, my qualifications: I'm an old fu*ker, too. Camping and crawling around on my hands and knees just ain't cuttin' it for me. I have a nice Big Agnes bag with the sleeve on the bottom for a nice 3" air mattress. I even have a LuxuryLite cot that is the best thing yet for sleeping low to the ground. Once I'm down there, I can sleep pretty well. I'd love to find something that would allow me to camp on my dream trips around the country. So I'm glad you're thinkin', pard.

I keep coming back to this thread for those reasons. But here are a few of my concerns, which you should hear about before you go spending good money on a patent lawyer. I know they don't come cheap and if you find some lawyer who says he'll do it for a cut of the profits. BEWARE. Especially in the legal business, you get what you pay for. Trust me on that one... I am a lawyer.

Where is the protection from a) Rain and b) bugs, such as mosquitoes?

What if the site you want to camp at is a distance away from the parking area for the bike? E.g. rallies?

What if you want to change clothes? Or, heaven forbid, your S.O. comes along and isn't quite interested in changing into her dainties by the side of the road?

Now maybe you have answers for these, maybe you don't care, but if you hope to market this thing, you should broaden your target audience, not narrow it. Tents sell because they can be used by all kinds of people in all kinds of circumstances, can be carried in car or motorcycle luggage, are light weight, kids, dogs, grandpa can fit.... yada, yada, yada.

The Uni Go and the Uni Track and many other similar luggage trailers have not made a very big splash. Maybe that is because they are missing what you have in your rig. Or maybe this is a very small target audience and the potential for buyers is small. As fun as your pictures are and as much as we love to see the roadside hillbilly shots of your makeshift campsite by the side of the road with a gun in prominent display, I just don't see this thing selling much, unless you address these kinds of issues. The only thing missing from the pics is a jug o' moonshine.

Not to disparage you from the great American dream. I'm just throwing a little good ol' reality and skepticism your way. These are questions potential buyers will ask, especially when you find that you've got to charge $2500 to get this thing built proper and make it marketable, with a decent website, e-commerce, whatever. Keeping it in the family or building a few for your buds might work out just fine. Marketing to the world is another thang altogether.

Just trying to be real here bro, No spite intended.
"But here are a few of my concerns, which you should hear about before you go spending good money on a patent lawyer. I know they don't come cheap and if you find some lawyer who says he'll do it for a cut of the profits. BEWARE. Especially in the legal business, you get what you pay for. Trust me on that one... I am a lawyer."

Well, Pard, I appreciate your concerns that you think I should hear about. That right there tells me that if you are a lawyer you're a poor one. A good lawyer knows words. It would be "read about" in this context, counselor. And a good lawyer would also know I have already payed to file for a patent or this thread's revelations would have rendered my invention "prior art".

" Trust me on that one... I am a lawyer." Never trust a man that says "Trust me on this one". It implies he can't be trusted. It's like saying "Let me be honest with you" says you would otherwise default to dishonest.

"Where is the protection from a) Rain and b) bugs, such as mosquitoes?" I like simple. I use a tarp while testing my prototype. Understand that a proto proves a concept. A production model will have some popup shock rod and nylon affair with, no doubt, optional add on crap, but that's all candy. Tarp and bug juice does me fine.

note tarp:


"What if the site you want to camp at is a distance away from the parking area for the bike? E.g. rallies?" What if you don't? I guess, counselor, you missed the pic where I rolled Spud into the woods. Easier than pushing a wheelbarrow: spud has two wheels.

What if I want to change my panties? It's just a niche market? Cargo trailers don't sell? Why not use a tent? ...yada, yada?

[heavy sigh]

"As fun as your pictures are and as much as we love to see the roadside hillbilly shots of your makeshift campsite by the side of the road with a gun in prominent display, I just don't see this thing selling much, unless you address these kinds of issues. The only thing missing from the pics is a jug o' moonshine. "

Now, is not this a bit snarky and condescending, counselor. Did you even read this thread? Hunting?

"Not to disparage you from the great American dream. I'm just throwing a little good ol' reality and skepticism your way. These are questions potential buyers will ask, especially when you find that you've got to charge $2500 to get this thing built proper and make it marketable, with a decent website, e-commerce, whatever. Keeping it in the family or building a few for your buds might work out just fine. Marketing to the world is another thang altogether."

Well, dang it all. What's this here Foreign Filling License thang that their Patent office has sent me? [Takes a pull on the jug]

A production model will cost what the market will pay. I was in the market for a website and only wanted to pay $9.99. It worked. You read it. Here is a bit of old advice from the book of Proverbs.

"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his tongue." --or in this case, keyboard, Bro.
__________________
Papa, would you like your old cell?

Yes, please.

PapaYolk screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 11:29 PM
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #64
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,684
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #65
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Roswell Idaho
Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I like the suspension on prototype 1 with the larger wheels for more off rough/gravel road capability. Any way you'll have different options on that?
Yes, me too. I've drawn up a wider rig to pull behind a Ural with sidecar, and just aesthetically it would have to use motorcycle wheels. I went with the automotive running gear because it was off the shelf and easy to get for the proto. Options will be worked out by whichever manufacturer snags my licensing agreement. I would hope for one with a custom shop for high end orders and a no candy unit for $1600-2000? One thing that will be included in that licensing agreement is sponsorship of a solo around the world promotional ride by me.
__________________
Papa, would you like your old cell?

Yes, please.

PapaYolk screwed with this post 12-22-2011 at 08:56 AM
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #66
slyeager
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 37
These come with a free jug of moonshine???


This trailer won't be for everyone, just as any tent or other camper wouldn't be either. I like the simplicity of the Idaho Bedroll, It fits my style of camping when I'm off on my own.
slyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #67
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaYolk View Post
One thing that will be included in that licensing agreement is sponsorship of a solo around the world promotional ride by me.
Need any company on that sponsored trip??

It would look great with two of those in the video's
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #68
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,216
without quoting the lawyer dork's words again, which you rebuttled quite nicely, i would like to add this, one of my favorite riddles......


you know the difference between a lawyer and a catfish????

one's a cold blooded, slimy, garbage eating bottom feeder..... and the other's a fish....



i'm bettin' the putz drives a new beemer, has the dealer change his oil, and thinks a .243 is some kinda tire size.... ..... some people just got no soul..... but i can tell, you ain't one of them.... carry on smartly, bro......

davesupreme screwed with this post 12-22-2011 at 05:26 PM
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #69
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,015
I put the word out on http://www.tearjerkers.net ( http://tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vie...hp?f=54&t=5107 )and a direct link to your write up.There is quite the following of small camp trailers over there.I only stand behind products that I believe in,even if some consider it a niche market.This little trailer is so cool and packs small,I can she a lot of solo riders and couples buying these.At the $1600 to $2000 price point,I really don't think it will be a hard sell.It's so light,that in the off season,it could be unpacked and stood up in the corner of a garage,storage unit,or outbuilding.Maybe even consider adding a collapsible or folding tongue.There's so many other uses,such as those days when ya just wanna run errands and need to haul small items.I see more uses for the spud other than soley a camp trailer.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #70
Skowinski
Chordate
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 4,694
Just ran across this. I personally don't want to pull a trailer, but, damn, that is pretty cool!
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #71
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission
 
theWolfTamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Firmly planted in the Georgia red clay
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Just ran across this. I personally don't want to pull a trailer, but, damn, that is pretty cool!
I didn't think I wanted one either til I saw this. Now I've got another penny jar going. Maybe by the time he's in production I'll be ready!
__________________
Training to slay theWolf

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #72
Trailrider ZA
Adventurer
 
Trailrider ZA's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 65
Well done PapaYolk I love it!
__________________
www.trail-rider.co.za
Trailrider ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #73
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
without quoting the lawyer dork's words again, which you rebuttled quite nicely, i would like to add this, one of my favorite riddles......


you know the difference between a lawyer and a catfish????

one's a cold blooded, slimy, garbage eating bottom feeder..... and the other's a fish....



i'm bettin' the putz drives a new beemer, has the dealer change his oil, and thinks a .243 is some kinda tire size.... ..... some people just got no soul..... but i can tell, you ain't one of them.... carry on smartly, bro......
Oh my god. The bottom feeder joke. Oh, ouch, oh god, please don't be so mean bro. You might really hurt my feelings!

You mean a .243 isn't a tire????

Sell a million PapaYolk, sell a million.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #74
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,182
Sticks and stones. i thought he was being helpful. Whatever, guess I'll just go make my own instead of buying one of yours. Hope you do well, but maybe let someone else do the marketing and customer service.

Nevertheless, good job on the build, and a great idea.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #75
PapaYolk OP
Ride Along
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Roswell Idaho
Oddometer: 1,406
"Sell a million PapaYolk, sell a million."

You bet, Bro. But some one else will do the selling. I'm sure you realize I went a little toe to toe with you as a vent to all those helpful words of caution I have received from every quarter with tenor ranging from airy condescension to viscous pity from this projects start. "Go take a nap, old man." OK. But I'm going to see the world from the edge of my bed. Dirt nap soon enough.

So I'll keep chumming for a manufacturer and bungling along. I'm not a businessman, just a rider that has made a thing to meet a need, a thing of value, a chunk of intellectual property. That chunk's now being assayed here at AR. Soon someone will show up at my door to make a good offer then take my "chunk of thinking" off to be refined.

"Sticks and stones. i thought he was being helpful. Whatever, guess I'll just go make my own instead of buying one of yours. Hope you do well, but maybe let someone else do the marketing and customer service." --beechum1

See? This is why I'm not a businessman. Someone you've never met get's their panties in a wad as a self-rationalization to steal from you. Silly beechum, packing away a stinky karma bomb. Cool. More reinforcement to my work being a thing of value. It's worth stealing. Notice to all poachers: If we meet on the road you will be dispossessed of my property and I'll give it to a hobo.
__________________
Papa, would you like your old cell?

Yes, please.

PapaYolk screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 08:00 AM
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014