Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #136
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpacket View Post
Most Patrol owners just like the looks (and that's perfectly OK) and will never ride anywhere that you couldn't go with a minivan full of Girl Scouts.
THAT's pretty funny!!

-Scott
Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #137
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I live in San Diego, my R100/7 with Velorex is just adequate to prevent being a hood ornament on the I-5 until you can get to the excellent roads in the area.

My DR650 is way better off road than a 2wd Ural (even in Mr. Cobs' maniacal hands!). I've watched his videos and I guarantee you that he couldn't follow me around Corral Canyon or Mc Cain valley if his life depended on it. Most Patrol owners just like the looks (and that's perfectly OK) and will never ride anywhere that you couldn't go with a minivan full of Girl Scouts.

I think Urals are a blast, but the lack of a proper 5 speed, wide ratio trans is a fatal flaw in a $13,000 bike. If they really gave a damn, they would have moved up to mid 70's transmission technology by now.

Don't feel that I am only critical of the Russian marque, I think the final drive problems on late model BMW's qualify them as overpriced POS's.
Annnd, There are a whole crapload of bikes that could do it better than the DR650. Funny you chose that heavy beast as an example. Want to compare that one with real dirt bikes? Probably not because they have completely different purposes, and one doesn't exactly do the job of the other. The guys I ride my ural with in the Chatahoochee national forest do leave me behind on their Wr, KLX, KTM, yadda yadda, but they always have to wait on me eventually, because they asked me to hold all their shit!
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #138
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You guys seem to equate off road ability with going fast... wrong-O!

There is a reason the Germans went to the Kubelwagen.

How many times have I told you Koolski-Aid drinkers that I think Urals are a blast? If you paid attention to what I and the MCN article said, for the street a Ural is a little underpowered and under braked. Off road it lacks the requisite low gearing and needs the slip resistant clutch that Mr. Cob developed.

I bought a DR 650 because it's a nice blend of roadability for short distances and I can ride on pretty much any trail that doesn't involve jumping doubles, or blitzing whoops at 60+. A CT 110 will go anywhere that there is a trail, but it won't run down the freeway at 70 mph for 50 miles. 99% of Patrol owners are like 99% of Jeep Wrangler owners, a few dirt roads here and there, a little mud or snow once in a while. I used to take my kids and their friends camping in the Plymouth Voyager and we always got a laugh out of the looks we got from people passing by in their SUV's and 4x4 trucks all geared up for the Rubicon.

If I wanted to fool around with a sidecar off-road (not dirt road) I would work up something like a Wasp or that set-up that Doug Bingham did for the U.S. military, but I think the Trail Tail out of B.C. is a better idea for hauling your gear on real trails. If I wanted to go to Alaska I would put the DR 650 in the back of the pickup and take interesting side trips between the hours of endless gravel roads and boring transit sections.

Enjoy your Ural, just don't get all delusional over it's capabilities. Hang with Hog Wild Racing if you really want to be a radical sidecar man.

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 10:54 AM
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #139
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
You guys seem to equate off road ability with going fast... wrong-O!

Weren't you the one who stated a ural couldn't keep up with you on your DR? I think the DR is a wonderfully capable machine. I also feel the ural is a blast off road. I haven't heard anyone state they were tops when it came to technical or fast offroad riding. For what I do the ural works better than a DR. I can't strap bags of feed to a dr, can't put fence posts in it. It is hard to carry enough camping gear on one to keep me comfortable, so I like the ural. There are much better sidecar rigs out there, but for what I have in mine, I couldn't have gotten one.

But.... maybe that's just the koolaid talking
Estamos copados
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #140
lemieuxmc
Banned

And I'll throw down the gauntlet...

Anyone who wants to ride his Ural on the SDAR 2012 Desert Dash Feb 25-26, I'll pay your entry fee. Only condition is that you have to complete one full day, if you bail out of the loop you have to pay me back. When I rode it a couple of years ago I was about the slowest guy out there, but I did help tow a KTM out of Fish Canyon Wash and helped out a guy who rung his bell falling down on Grapevine Canyon when his "haul assing" posse didn't notice that he was missing.

"The Squeeze", Upper Fish Creek Wash
Attached Images

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 11:18 AM
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #141
lemieuxmc
Banned

"I guarantee you that he couldn't follow me around Corral Canyon or Mc Cain valley if his life depended on it."

I rarely go more than 25 mph on dirt, even smooth fire roads. I'm out for a good time, not to impress others with my rugged capabilities in the Starbucks parking lot.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #142
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
And I'll throw down the gauntlet...

Anyone who wants to ride his Ural on the SDAR 2012 Desert Dash Feb 25-26, I'll pay your entry fee. Only condition is that you have to complete one full day, if you bail out of the loop you have to pay me back. When I rode it a couple of years ago I was about the slowest guy out there, but I did help tow a KTM out of Fish Canyon Wash and helped out a guy who rung his bell falling down on Grapevine Canyon when his "haul assing" posse didn't notice that he was missing.

"The Squeeze", Upper Fish Creek Wash

Once again, what ural rider is claiming their rig is designed for that type of riding? If they are, they are overestimating their rig's abilities.
Only been to a starbucks once in my life, and I wasn't even buying. Built my ural from a nonrunner, and have enjoyed the hell out of it offroad since.
I've done my share of offroad riding and still don't understand the comparison between a dr and a ural.
Estamos copados
Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #143
lemieuxmc
Banned

The "Desert Dash" route is laid out 100% on public access roads and requires full street legal equipment to participate. It's Kalifornia, after all.

One more time... as I have stated previously, the Ural Patrol crowd are the ones who proclaim the vaunted "off road" capabilities of the rig. Mr. Cob is completely off of the bell curve for riding ability, and I seriously doubt that he could make it over this terrain without getting hurt or busting his machine.

A new Ural is great if you just dig the funkiness, you don't mind a bike with really limited top speed, brakes, and off road ability, that costs $13,000.

I've met a few guys who started with an old beater Ural and restored/upgraded them (BMW motor, etc.), that's cool and they get lots of cred because it isn't the same as just writing a check.

I paid $2,800 for the DR 650 and I'm in about $3,500 for the /7 with Velorex. This means I still have money left for gas in the Guzzi, putting the Commando back on the road and getting the P-11 together.

I guess I'm just a moron who doesn't know shit about what a REALLY awesome bike is!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #144
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
I own a Ural. Starbucks is .84 miles from me. I don't go there on the Ural. It won't make it (without lots of UDF).
Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #145
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
Once again, what ural rider is claiming their rig is designed for that type of riding?
Exactly.. I can't imagine anyone here who would debate that a Wrangler is fairly adept at off road driving.

And I'm not sure anyone here has posted that a Ural can do something like this without significant modifications.

Dose that make a Wrangler a POS? Really?

-Scott
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #146
lemieuxmc
Banned

My DR 650 just has a Keintech jet kit, FMF muffler, slightly lower gearing, and Pirelli Scorpions.

I sold Jeeps for a little while, the Liberty with a sunroof was a much better vehicle than a Wrangler. Cost was pretty close, off road ability was equal.

People like the Wrangler because it's like having a blinking neon sign that says "I'm a unique and rugged individual", kind of like a Harley tattoo. Very few ever really go off road, and quite a few get traded in after a year or so because they ride crummy on the highway.

You would get a kick out of all of the Jeep marketing courses that I took on-line.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #147
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen View Post
I own a Ural. Starbucks is .84 miles from me. I don't go there on the Ural. It won't make it (without lots of UDF).

Order me a coffee when you're there. Just plain black.... They have that don't they?

I like it when new ural owners try to ride outside their rigs abilities. They break them and flood the used parts market. (hopefully with no injuries)

lemieuxmc , If you are directing your comparison at new ural purchasers who buy it thinking they just bought a rock crawler, I can see where you are coming from. For me it is a fun machine with cheap parts (on european ebay) and I guess I am being a little hypocritical since I am not willing to pony up the bucks for a new one. Shoot, I'm not even sure I will upgrade the engine since it is so easy to work on and I have a nice stockpile of 650 parts.
Estamos copados
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #148
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
You would get a kick out of all of the Jeep marketing courses that I took on-line.
If they were anything like the harley sales courses my neighbor took, it wouldn't surprise me. After he told me about having to push the "lifestyle" and some of the catch phrases they used, I vowed never to go near a dealership again. Nothing newer than the shovelhead for me.
Estamos copados
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #149
lemieuxmc
Banned

And the Truth shall set you free!

Can I get an Amen for the brother?

Hallelujah!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #150
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
And the Truth shall set you free!

Can I get an Amen for the brother?

Hallelujah!

Yes, but I'll also state that I know of many who have bought new urals and used them for their intended purpose (poor road conditions, mild offroad, back roads, etc...) so I still wouldn't classify the entire market as a starbucks crowd any more than I would classify the entire harley crowd as pirate dressing 15 mile per trip riding chromosexuals.
Estamos copados
Closed Thread