Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #151
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
And I'll throw down the gauntlet...

Anyone who wants to ride his Ural on the SDAR 2012 Desert Dash Feb 25-26, I'll pay your entry fee. Only condition is that you have to complete one full day, if you bail out of the loop you have to pay me back. When I rode it a couple of years ago I was about the slowest guy out there, but I did help tow a KTM out of Fish Canyon Wash and helped out a guy who rung his bell falling down on Grapevine Canyon when his "haul assing" posse didn't notice that he was missing.

"The Squeeze", Upper Fish Creek Wash
Can I take off the chair and put some better rubber on the ural?
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #152
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Christ, people, this argument is retarded.

The Ural was a heavy duty military/civilian utility bike. People in the USSR bought them and rode them when they couldn't afford a Lada. Anybody who has lived in the Soviet Union will tell you how much they hate Urals and what unreliable shit they are. Urals were/are used to haul around pigs, lumber, people, whatever. Now, with more people able to afford cars, you will find fewer and fewer Urals on the roads, unless you're somewhere in Bumblefuck where there is still a statue of Lenin on the main square. Even domestic Russian car brands are getting rarer in the big cities as people switch over to imports.

Back in WW2, motorcycles were the fastest military ground transportation available, short of a train. Urals are no longer relevant as military vehicles because of IEDs, the "up-armor" craze, and because a modern APC can carry more people with more protection almost as quickly.

Nobody ever designed a Ural to compete with dirtbikes as a recreational vehicle, period. The Ural was built as a cheap TOOL for hauling shit.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #153
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
As I recall, the owner of SD BMW did it on his HP and a couple of GS 80/100 riders started, but they bailed out and didn't ride the whole loop (120 mi).

Lots of sand washes and a few spots where the rocks could take out a cylinder if you were off the line a bit.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #154
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
And I'll throw down the gauntlet...

Anyone who wants to ride his Ural on the SDAR 2012 Desert Dash Feb 25-26, I'll pay your entry fee. Only condition is that you have to complete one full day, if you bail out of the loop you have to pay me back. When I rode it a couple of years ago I was about the slowest guy out there, but I did help tow a KTM out of Fish Canyon Wash and helped out a guy who rung his bell falling down on Grapevine Canyon when his "haul assing" posse didn't notice that he was missing.

"The Squeeze", Upper Fish Creek Wash
lemieuxmc,

Are you incapable of reading and understanding what myself and others have posted to THIS thread and many others, has ANYONE who has real world experience with the Ural EVER claimed it could go where a dirt bike could go, I doubt it. Still you persist in attempting to compare a motorcycle with a sidecar attached to it be it a Ural or any other make for that matter to a dirt bike and then complain that the sidecar rig isn't up to the task.

I am going to type real slow and put it in BIG print in the hopes that you will understand what has and is being said, are you ready, here we go.

A Ural is NOT a dirt bike, anyone with even a semi-functional brain wouldn't compare it to one. A Ural WILL NOT be able to traverse the terrain that a dirt bike can, it was NEVER designed to do so. A Ural is VERY good at what it was designed to do and with a competent rider will do things the original designers had not envisioned as its primary purpose.

If that isn't clear enough for you then Sir you are as dense as the rocks in the photo you just posted.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #155
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
I sold Jeeps for a little while, the Liberty with a sunroof was a much better vehicle than a Wrangler. Cost was pretty close, off road ability was equal.
My mom would tell you "You're talking thru your hat!", while I prefer the phrase "Don't blow smoke up my ass".

The 2 vehicles share an engine and transkission, but...

In it's most off road capable trim, a Liberty had 7.8 inches of ground clearence, aprox 30 degree angles of approach and departure...
compared to a Wrangler with 10.2 inches of ground clearence, and about 40 degree approach and departure angles.

Add to this gross inequity the fact that there's 10 inches more wheelbase in the Liberty and your breakover angle also suffers a big disadvantage. Then there's the front IFS, and the ground clearence issues are compounded....
Wrangler has a Dana 44 (with available locker) in front, just like the back.

I wonder if you understand what any of this means?

Nice try, salesman
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #156
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
So let me get this straight... a Ural is NOT capable of going "off road", it's really more like those AWD minivans?

It's original purpose was to carry a machine gun crew, does that mean that the true market for Ural is inner city gang bangers?

My bad, I thought for $13 large it should be able to hang with a 1987 Samurai or a 1972 Honda CT110 out in the desert.

Carry on with your regular scheduled programming.

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 08:10 PM
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #157
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #158
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
So let me get this straight... a Ural is NOT capable of going "off road", it's really more like those AWD minivans?

It's original purpose was to carry a machine gun crew, does that mean that the true market for Ural is inner city gang bangers?

My bad, I thought for $13 large it should be able to hang with a 1987 Samurai or a 1972 Honda CT110 out in the desert.

How fucking dense are you?

IT HAS A FUCKING SIDECAR ATTACHED TO THE SIDE.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #159
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:

With all due respect, you really don't have a fucking clue what your talking about. First you compare a solo motorcycle to a sidecar equipped rig and now your trying to compare the sidecar rig to a four wheel drive vehicle with low gear ratios in the drive axles and then even lower gearing via the transfer-case. I for one am through discussing this topic with one who seems totally incapable of understanding simple physical issues of hight, width, weight, available horse power, torque, gearing, approach and departure angles, center of gravity and any other number of things which to even a simpleton would differentiate a Ural from a solo motorcycle or a four wheel drive vehicle. Seriously are you really that ignorant of the differences between the types of motorized vehicles being discussed.

PLEASE note my use of the word "ignorant" I did NOT call you stupid, an ignorant person can LEARN and accept that their view is wrong if they are open to evidence that proves their view to be mistaken; then again a stupid person will continue to promote a false premise even when presented with over whelming evidence that it is in deed false. So what are you, "ignorant" or "stupid".

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #160
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, whine, blah blah blah blah, snivel, blah blah
What circular reasoning you have,
In your little world, anybody who gets a Ural for off roading is clueless, yet if they don't attempt to use it beyond it's capabilities off road they are a poser, so only a poser would get a Ural for off roading because they are clueless.
It's like a dog chasing its own tail.

Dude,
You and Andy should get together and form a He-man Ural haters club, you could congratulate each other on your delusions of superior judgment and wisdom.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #161
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
You and Andy should get together and form a He-man Ural haters club, you could congratulate each other on your delusions of superior judgment and wisdom.
Do you mind.

I have only one issue with foil heads: The constant highjacking of this general riding site to promote your chosen brand with comments that may be misunderstood. If someone asks "should I get a Ural" you can say what you like and I will assume the right to do like wise. I prefer the posts that send them to the Russian Iron site as it's obvious it's a love fest and won't give a balanced view but hey ho a topic is a topic. If someone asks about getting an outfit that'll do UK-Turkey-UK in two weeks and commute on the M6 and the BS starts with "you don't need to do that, get a Ural" then I feel the need to comment. That's it, comment. I do not hate Ural or worship any other brand (you seem to attack Triumph following a number of my post? That's fine I have no brand loyalty and my outfit is actually a BMW K-series), I just know from experience and stopping to talk to stranded Uralists who swallowed the "they've improved and are just like a BMW now" garbage that one size does not fit all and modern expectations cannot apply. The last two pages you'll notice have no comments from me, even the usual evangelists have been off the "Ural is perfect" line. A number of us want a Duo-Drive GS style outfit at less than the price of a house. Ural isn't it and the majority of posters here state that unlike at page 4 (remember that far back ) where a few disagreed with the MCN journalist who had a general view rather than the foil head centric one. Tell anyone who might fall for it that a Ural is this perfect outfit and the Anti-Foilhead will feel the need to coment, no "haters club" required.

We will never agree, so lets continue to discuss or at least give each other chance to put our points without personal attacks as I feel this is the way the above post is heading.

Andy
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #162
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
I have only one issue with foil heads: The constant highjacking of this general riding site
Said by the most prolific hijacker on here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
Do you mind.
I have only one issue with foil heads: The constant highjacking of this general riding site to promote your chosen brand with comments that may be misunderstood. If someone asks "should I get a Ural" you can say what you like and I will assume the right to do like wise. I prefer the posts that send them to the Russian Iron site as it's obvious it's a love fest and won't give a balanced view but hey ho a topic is a topic. If someone asks about getting an outfit that'll do UK-Turkey-UK in two weeks and commute on the M6 and the BS starts with "you don't need to do that, get a Ural" then I feel the need to comment. That's it, comment. I do not hate Ural or worship any other brand (you seem to attack Triumph following a number of my post? That's fine I have no brand loyalty and my outfit is actually a BMW K-series), I just know from experience and stopping to talk to stranded Uralists who swallowed the "they've improved and are just like a BMW now" garbage that one size does not fit all and modern expectations cannot apply. The last two pages you'll notice have no comments from me, even the usual evangelists have been off the "Ural is perfect" line. A number of us want a Duo-Drive GS style outfit at less than the price of a house. Ural isn't it and the majority of posters here state that unlike at page 4 (remember that far back ) where a few disagreed with the MCN journalist who had a general view rather than the foil head centric one. Tell anyone who might fall for it that a Ural is this perfect outfit and the Anti-Foilhead will feel the need to coment, no "haters club" required.
We will never agree, so lets continue to discuss or at least give each other chance to put our points without personal attacks as I feel this is the way the above post is heading.

Andy

Blah blah blah...drone...drivel..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The gramophone needle is stuck again.............

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #163
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Goodness me, what a lot of intolerant, judgemental and rude people there are on here, such a shame.

Can we all just accept a few basic truths here and get over ourselves?

The Ural is the world's only purpose built sidecar outfit.
Many owners are very happy with their purchase, some are not.
Some people will buy the 2WD regardless of their actual intended use BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.
Occasionally a Ural will breakdown, LIKE ALL OTHER VEHICLES DO.

Finally, this is a hacks forum, I think the Ural has a stronger right to be discussed here than any other vehicle. Why? See point 1 above.

My credentials, in case of wild conjecture:
Do I own a Ural? Not at the moment.
Have I ever owned one? Yes.
How long for? 20,000 miles.
Did it break down all the time? No, it was a 2005, it never let me down.
Did it ever go off road, or just to Starbucks? Of course it did, now please go away and stop wasting my time.

www.motopodd.com
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #164
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
I guess I'm just a moron who doesn't know shit about what a REALLY awesome bike is!
Well, I wouldn't like to comment on that, but you sure one who doesn't know when to let it go... you're like a dog with a bone.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #165
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Wowwww. Lot of feelings about this aren't there? And I bought mine because it was cheap and fun. Guess I'll quit reading this, I have to go replace batteries and memory cards in the game cameras. (want to know when those little buggers are moving) Of course, that means I'll have to take my 1wd 650 RPOC offroad..... Gasp....
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
Closed Thread