User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wrists hurting after riding

My wife has a Beta 125 Factory that she uses for trail riding. She also has a KTM 105 also used for trail riding. She likes the Beta a lot , but her thumbs get sore after riding it, compared to no pain after riding her 105. She stands most of the time on both bikes (Beta has the long ride seat/tank).

I've tried a few different bar bends on the Beta, nothing has helped. I'm considering getting some risers to take pressure off of her hands a bit; good/bad?
KimDN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 799
May or may not be the case, but I found that when my wife got her Gas Gas 125 and started riding I had to roll the bars forward to be inline with the socks and set the levers up a bit to help straiten the hands so she was at a better trials position to eliminate issues with the hands and wrists.

It took a few tries to get things setup right but the trick was to get her setup so most of the turning was being done by foot pressure and proper body position instead of turning with the handles. The more I work on having her ride the trails like she is riding trials the better she dose in both.

The only down was that at first her legs would get a little more tiered because she was forced to do even more with them but she soon found that she could ride even longer after she got used to it.

If you want I can take some pictures tomorrow...

Best of luck and let us know what ends up working for her in the end.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
May or may not be the case, but I found that when my wife got her Gas Gas 125 and started riding I had to roll the bars forward to be inline with the socks and set the levers up a bit to help straiten the hands so she was at a better trials position to eliminate issues with the hands and wrists.

It took a few tries to get things setup right but the trick was to get her setup so most of the turning was being done by foot pressure and proper body position instead of turning with the handles. The more I work on having her ride the trails like she is riding trials the better she dose in both.

The only down was that at first her legs would get a little more tiered because she was forced to do even more with them but she soon found that she could ride even longer after she got used to it.

If you want I can take some pictures tomorrow...

Best of luck and let us know what ends up working for her in the end.
Pictures would be nice, thank you.

I have tried a few different lever and bar positions, but I should try more. I'll get the risers no matter what, just another option to try. At this point, she's saying to sell it and just keep the KTM105 because of the thumb pain. If I could convert it to a 200 or bigger I might keep it for myself ;) but as it is, a 125 is too small an engine for my trail riding terrain.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
On my KTM200 I run twisted engineering carbon bars. They make a night and day difference. I used to get lots of hand pain and numbness, the carbon bars fixed it. I have thought about doing the same on my GasGas280 because I get the same symptoms.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDN View Post
Pictures would be nice, thank you.

I have tried a few different lever and bar positions, but I should try more. I'll get the risers no matter what, just another option to try. At this point, she's saying to sell it and just keep the KTM105 because of the thumb pain. If I could convert it to a 200 or bigger I might keep it for myself ;) but as it is, a 125 is too small an engine for my trail riding terrain.
On the picture side I have a busy night today but will get a few taken tomorrow evening and post them up by Wednesday.

Quick question, have you done trials before? (if you have disregard this next part) If not you might consider seeing if you could find a local trials group and have one of there upper level riders come out and help setup the bike for trials riding and give a little instruction on best riding stance, turning the bike, going over small logs etc. Could really make a world of diffrience on how much she likes the bike?

It really is about getting it setup to put the control at the feet not the bars, and then learn to ride it as a trials bike not a trail bike.

Little surprised to hear a 125 is to small, maybe smaller than one might like, but unless your after a lot of speed, larger than my 180 lbs, or are riding some crazy stuff it should work great for even extra hard trails... I can take my wife's 125 any place I would, or could, take my Montesa 250 with only a little extra rev's on the trails... (My guess is a riding stile or terrain difference, in comparison to what I normally ride).

pics to come soon.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
On my KTM200 I run twisted engineering carbon bars. They make a night and day difference. I used to get lots of hand pain and numbness, the carbon bars fixed it. I have thought about doing the same on my GasGas280 because I get the same symptoms.
Those bars are really nice, I've gotten 4 sets of those for a customer of mine. I was considering trying those for her. Unfortnately, they are pricey at $450 wtih hand guards, that's an expensive experiment! And I've had horrible results with their customer service. Hopefully that's changed.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDN View Post
Those bars are really nice, I've gotten 4 sets of those for a customer of mine. I was considering trying those for her. Unfortnately, they are pricey at $450 wtih hand guards, that's an expensive experiment! And I've had horrible results with their customer service. Hopefully that's changed.
X2 on customer service. The few different pair of bars you bought would have paid for one pair of these.

If is a good customer, wonder if you could borrow a pair for a test ride.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
On the picture side I have a busy night today but will get a few taken tomorrow evening and post them up by Wednesday.

Quick question, have you done trials before? (if you have disregard this next part) If not you might consider seeing if you could find a local trials group and have one of there upper level riders come out and help setup the bike for trials riding and give a little instruction on best riding stance, turning the bike, going over small logs etc. Could really make a world of diffrience on how much she likes the bike?

It really is about getting it setup to put the control at the feet not the bars, and then learn to ride it as a trials bike not a trail bike.

Little surprised to hear a 125 is to small, maybe smaller than one might like, but unless your after a lot of speed, larger than my 180 lbs, or are riding some crazy stuff it should work great for even extra hard trails... I can take my wife's 125 any place I would, or could, take my Montesa 250 with only a little extra rev's on the trails... (My guess is a riding stile or terrain difference, in comparison to what I normally ride).

pics to come soon.
I nor my wife have ever done trials. In Hawaii (Oahu specifically), there are very few trials bikes around, definitely no organizations (maybe it's time to start one?). For shorter/smaller people, a trials bike with a seat is really good for our exteme terrain. Technical up and down hills, roots and rocks, mud, off cambers, deep ruts, you name it. On my KTM300, with stock gearing I'm always in 1st or 2nd gear. There are some faster trails, and some connecting roads, but for the most part very slow stuff.

Last week, I rode my wife's 125 for an all day ride while my 300 is on loan. We did exclusively hard terrain riding, and the 125 did it all. It really made life easier than it would have been on my 300. Yesterday, I was riding it and we got to a certain hill I call 50/50 Hill--50 percent of the time I'll make it up in one try. I figured it would be easy on the 125, but it wasn't as i realized as I slid down. The problem was 1) my technique I'm sure, and 2) not enough power. There's almost no run at the hill, and you need to get up to speed in a short distance. On the 125, 4th gear would not have pulled me up, and 3rd gear didn't allow me to accelerate to the required speed to clear the step up at the top. I'm sure with more practice I would make it but as I watched my friend using my 300, I realized that there is no way that the 125 could accelerate up that fast/quick enough in one gear. No time for shifting on this one. Maybe I'm being too rev shy on the 125?

But that's another topic. a few weeks ago, there was some 'pro' trials person here that held a class. Poor weather kept people from attending, and my wife was out of town (I was working). It would have been nice to learn from him.

I'll try talking to my wife about her riding position--but that's going to be a tough coconut to crack!

Here's a couple of my friends in the trails, one doing field repair :)

KimDN screwed with this post 09-29-2014 at 06:32 PM
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
You might need to cut the bars. Maybe 1/4 to 3/8 at each end. Is she a smaller build. Usually thumb pain is from gripping too hard. I used to look like I was going to bleed to death from my death grip. Are you using trials grips still. They should be better as they are longer and a smaller diameter. Pomaika`i
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Not being there I can't say for sure but my guess would be rev shy. It took a few for me to relize just how much rev is some times needed or best on some of the bigger stuff with the wife's 125...

FYI: love your trail picture, that's the kind of trail I like! And I wouldn't hesitate to ride the 125 on any of it.

+1 on griping to hard, as I setup the bike better for trials and helped my wife loosen the grip and use the legs more her hands have done so much better. And the added bonus of seeing her get over larger logs and rocks has also been great.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
KimDN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Not being there I can't say for sure but my guess would be rev shy. It took a few for me to relize just how much rev is some times needed or best on some of the bigger stuff with the wife's 125...

FYI: love your trail picture, that's the kind of trail I like! And I wouldn't hesitate to ride the 125 on any of it.

+1 on griping to hard, as I setup the bike better for trials and helped my wife loosen the grip and use the legs more her hands have done so much better. And the added bonus of seeing her get over larger logs and rocks has also been great.
I think I could have revved it more, but it was obvious that I couldn't get enough speed being in that gear. The odd gear spacing on a trials bike meant I couldn't have gone up a gear and had enough power.

I did ride her 125 in that trail, it was great! I had her long ride seat/tank on the 300 at the time, standing the whole time wasn't easy but I managed. The 125 doesn't suffer at all in the slow stuff.

I'm going to try and get her to ride differently and hopefully grip 'less hard'. I will try risers as well.

Here we are at Glamis Sand Dunes. What you don't see is the after shot :)
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #12
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDN
My wife has a Beta 125 Factory that she uses for trail riding. She also has a KTM 105 also used for trail riding. She likes the Beta a lot , but her thumbs get sore after riding it, compared to no pain after riding her 105. She stands most of the time on both bikes (Beta has the long ride seat/tank).

I've tried a few different bar bends on the Beta, nothing has helped. I'm considering getting some risers to take pressure off of her hands a bit; good/bad?
Is it possible, for whatever reason, that she puts more pressure on her hands when she's on the Beta? That might explain the sore thumbs (loss of blood flow).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #13
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Is it possible, for whatever reason, that she puts more pressure on her hands when she's on the Beta? That might explain the sore thumbs (loss of blood flow).
That is what my wife was doing with her Gas Gas 125, and we worked on getting the bike setup better to fix it.

With the bars rolled more forward and levers up it opened up the space between the pegs and bars to give better position for the arms/hands/wrists/etc. It straitened up the wrists so the pressure was more on the palm of the hand when there is pressure and let her sit back more so the arms where looser/straighter. Before we did this she was always hunched over with her arms bent to much and her hands rolled funny, and this caused her to grip hard hurting her wrists and fingers/thumbs.

FYI: I wanted to get some pictures of my wife's hands on the bars as well as how they are setup but she wasn't free so I will be a day behind what I thought in getting them posted. Should have them up tomorrow night.