Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
bentmettle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Brake light switch fell out...

seems a not unusual problem

The brake light switch on my 2005 Gas Gas fell out and now my lever is out in space. I took this to mean that I've ridden it more than it's previous owners.

I see I can spend a princely sum and replace with an adjustment bolt.

I still have the thread in collar that goes into the AJP lever, but it doesn't appear to be a typical thread.

Tempted to JB weld in a nut and use a regular bolt.

Any other not so cobbled options?
orange 350
bentmettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
seems a not unusual problem

The brake light switch on my 2005 Gas Gas fell out and now my lever is out in space. I took this to mean that I've ridden it more than it's previous owners.

I see I can spend a princely sum and replace with an adjustment bolt.

I still have the thread in collar that goes into the AJP lever, but it doesn't appear to be a typical thread.

Tempted to JB weld in a nut and use a regular bolt.

Any other not so cobbled options?

I did what you are talking about, for a long time. I bought the adjustable kit (s3 or jitsie) so I can adjust my clutch and the front brake, all day long without heading to the truck...

it comes with ones for what fell out of yours, might as well get them, imho. I bought mine 3 bikes ago, and I keep them as I move bike to bike...

just a thought
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,194
Where the lever sit at rest is a very important thing. I'd do whatever it takes to have those levers resting just so. I'm unfortunately so machine aware I can't ignore those things being off even a tiny bit. A very tiny bit.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
bentmettle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Where the lever sit at rest is a very important thing. I'd do whatever it takes to have those levers resting just so. I'm unfortunately so machine aware I can't ignore those things being off even a tiny bit. A very tiny bit.
I am losing this battle with my 350. I put Flexx bars on it, which work fantastic, but they interfere with rotating my controls into the spot where I want them.

So I doubled down and replaced the levers with Midwest Mountain Machining levers.

Now it will be all completely alien to me when I ride it in a couple weeks.
orange 350
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

I have ridden bikes with some pretty exotic setups. Odd bars and levers, or integrated clutch and brakes, for example. I'd not find the controls or ergonomics to be superior, and that was not a 'just get used to' thing.

The thin trials grips to the standard Domino throttle to the AJP, Brake Tech, or Beta controls are hard to beat. That's not to say your setup might not work better for you or even be better period, especially if you have injuries or other considerations. I'd love to try your setup, but my arms aren't long enough from here
Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
bentmettle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I have ridden bikes with some pretty exotic setups. Odd bars and levers, or integrated clutch and brakes, for example. I'd not find the controls or ergonomics to be superior, and that was not a 'just get used to' thing.

The thin trials grips to the standard Domino throttle to the AJP, Brake Tech, or Beta controls are hard to beat. That's not to say your setup might not work better for you or even be better period, especially if you have injuries or other considerations. I'd love to try your setup, but my arms aren't long enough from here
I might have made some confusion- I changed some stuff on my KTM to try to help with my hands going numb. I have some wrist problems.

The trials bike is pretty great overall.

I did some reading and maybe the thread I need is the same as a 9mm front axle on many bicycles.
orange 350
Old 01-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
I might have made some confusion- I changed some stuff on my KTM to try to help with my hands going numb. I have some wrist problems.

The trials bike is pretty great overall.

I did some reading and maybe the thread I need is the same as a 9mm front axle on many bicycles.
Oh sorry. You did say "350." For some reason a TY350 came to mind