User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
mrwmw OP
lurk hard

Oddometer: 11
Recommended CC size for new rider? Im looking for a bike

Looking to purchase my first trials bike. Looking for USED modern machine on a 3k budget so I will most likely end up with a 2005-2009 bike. I have never rode moto trials before but I grew up on dirtbikes but mainly ride street these days.

What size bike should I be looking at as a first time trials rider? I am 31, 6'2", 200lbs. I would like a bike that I can learn on, but not outgrow within the first year.

The bike will likely be 7-10 years old and Im not sure how far motor technology has evolved since the mid-2ks... but would a 125cc be too small? Or should I be looking for a 250cc? The 250cc range bikes seem to be the most common which will make it a hell of a lot easier to find one used. Input?

Thanks in advance...

12/19 UPDATE:
The consensus seems to be a 250-300cc Two Stroke, as new and unused as I can find on a 3K budget. I appreciate all the input and I feel pretty confident in what I should be looking for in a bike. Shipping seems to be pretty reasonable as well which opens up my bike search nationwide now.

mrwmw screwed with this post 12-20-2014 at 12:21 AM
mrwmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 870
My 2 cents... The short version...

I am 5' 10" or so and around 180 lbs, we got a Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 for my wife that I learned on and to this day can still ride vary competitively in the novice to intermediate level. I would have to push the revs a bit more for some of the taller stuff I can do but the bike will still do it well. After a few months on the 125 I got a Montesa 4RT (250cc) and love it!

With that note: If I had not found the Montesa I would have been quite happy on a 125 and would still be on one today if I had found a second one before the Montesa.

Would I recommend a 125 over a 250? If your already a good dirt ride and know how to use a clutch a 250 could be a great bike, though I might recommend the mellower versions or if you get a race version like the Gas Gas Raga 250 I might suggest a flywheel weight and Motobene's thread on mellowing out a race horse.

FYI: I hear lots of people say the Gas Gas 280's are a bit peppy and so was the one I road as well.

Good luck!

PS. If your up for a good read on how to mellow out a Raga 300 (could help on a 250?) http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955152

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 12-15-2014 at 11:30 PM
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,923
At your size I would not recommend a 125. Any 250-300 will be fine for a first bike. Never rode a trials bike? You'll get on a 300 and wonder why people think they are too much power. Compared to a 300 dirt bike, they feel like an 80. Most important thing is to find the bike that's in the best condition for your price range. Don't worry about brand either, unless it's something really off the wall. If you live at altitude, go big.

That said, I've rode for years and have had 250's for my last couple of bikes. I will never buy another 270/290/300, unless it was a four stroke.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
The best bike for starting out(Or for most riders) is a 200 Beta. Very hard to find. A 125 is miserable to ride for a 200 lb person. But if you found a deal on a Gas Gas 125, S3 makes a 225 kit. It does cost 700.
On a second note, buy the least used bike you find. I agree a 250 can be just fine. All trials bikes don`t seem too powerful, right up to the moment that you crash!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
I'll go with 2whlrcr and say get a bike in decent condition and start riding. This scrutiny will matter more for your second bike.

I had occasion to swap bikes with a friend the other week -- my '14GG300 for his '04GG280. The new bike has much nicer suspension and the controls work better. Otherwise they are a lot alike.

I sold a well worn GG280 to a guy who neatly fits your description for size, age, background. He has taken to it rapidly. I'd hate to listen to him on a 125 -- to get a big guy up a big rock takes big rpms...

Don't forget that they can go fast too. A guy your age probably still wicks it up a bit -- hit 5th or 6th on these little scoots and they go WWwwhheeee!
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 696
The still noobs perspective , what they said. Get something mid 2000's or newer and get the one in the best condition you can find. I started with a 98 and rapidly wanted a newer one, (that may have been more my vanity than anything else, but I really felt I started getting better rapidly when I got my 04). I live at 6k feet and sometimes go up into the mountains up towards 9 (I think Sipapu is 9-10k ft) so I got a 270. I never thought it had too much power, although now that I am trying tighter turns and trying to get up on stuff in a shorter space, I can see where smoother (250) might be easier, but the extra snap off the bottom will be awesome as I learn to use it better. All in all I have moved from novice to amateur, and do not feel that the bike is holding me back ( my alack of talent it though ). I watch guys on bikes the same age as mine (or older) compete really well at the intermediate up to expert level, so any one you get will be the most fun you've ever had on two wheels.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
I have seen and trained a lot of newbies, 99% of this "choice" is rider dependent...

I have a guy, who rode motocross for several years, mangled a foot decided to toss speed for skills. He is MOTIVATED, his first bike happens to be a 2009 Gasgas Raga (gold version) cost about 3500 for him I think, with broken/missing side stand. needing little else but wear items, and tlc.

he is 145 lbs and 5'7" I think, with boots on. But he is in hellish athletic shape (think spider monkey LOL!)

clutch control throttle control was quickly learned to keep him out of danger. I know he's on the boards, he will testify that a 300cc trials motorcycle is NOTHING at all, comparison wise, like differences in a 450 fourstroke, vs say a 125 2stroke or 250 fourstroke...

THe problem I know usually is abated, after couple of hours of getting used to the new riding position, STANDING UP.

My warning if you are motivated to learn to ride trials, get the newest version you can afford, and DO NOT get scared of the cc displacement. 250 is nice enough size for most COORDINATED motorcycle riders, NOT ALL I agree, but most. OP being a big guy, I would suggest getting the 280 or 300 (290 sherco is fine too).

after the first day of say 3 hours of riding I think you will appreciate the bike as you gain on skills, but like anyone can point out on here, in 1994 the world champion (Jordi Tarres) beat everyone on an older version of the gasgas bikes, ones that we or at least I, now snub our noses at... mostly because of parts and some things like brakes have come a long way since 94, as well as even now since 04...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Jordi had some help in 1994 at Donner.

Lineaway giving JT some motivation.

And his Angel.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127

First and last size trials bike anyone ever needs.......
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
mrwmw OP
lurk hard

Oddometer: 11
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'm located in San Jose, ca so most of my riding will be done near sea level.

It's seems like a 250 is the way to go.

Now as far as two versus four stokes, will one be significantly easier to learn on? It's been years since I've been on a 2 stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrwmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
Trials two strokes are tuned for torque, and won't seem like any of the other two strokes you have ridden. I find the fours harder to ride, and much more inclined to stall. Especially in the age and price range you are looking for.

I am a big fan of 300s but at sea level a 250 should be fine.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
First and last size trials bike anyone ever needs.......

Yep,ride a 300 for fun,but a 250 for low score (JimmyZ advice)

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwmw View Post
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'm located in San Jose, ca so most of my riding will be done near sea level.

It's seems like a 250 is the way to go.

Now as far as two versus four stokes, will one be significantly easier to learn on? It's been years since I've been on a 2 stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I ride a 4 stroke i would say that I have had to learn to pull the clutch a bit more then my wife when comming over the other side of things than she does. So if your a let off the trottle type and don't think you would be to interested in doing extra clutch work the 2 strokes would be a bit nicer.

Getting used to the engin brake affect of the 4T took a bit and can still get me at times...
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,923
I wouldn't buy a four stroke, unless you just have to have one. And yes 250's are great and I like them, but they have only become more popular in the US in the last several years. It's going to be much harder to find a used one than a 270/290/300. When I bought my 05 Beta 250, I had to special order it and everyone wondered why I bought it. (guess I was just ahead of my time)
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

In 2001 I had 3 Beta 270`s. Sold the first two as demo`s ( Beta Dealer) and then bought a world round bike. At the first national in Texas in 2002 I picked up a worn out Beta 250. (It was a 2002 and really was worn out already. It`s April.) Best Beta I ever had. (After a few hours work. Like replace the frame under warranty) We Americans always believe bigger is better. Not.
Also for years Gas Gas refused to bring in 250`s. Crazy stupid. 125`s, 200`s 270`s(280`s) and the big bore. They must have went ten + years with no 250`s. Dumb.