User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
heliyardsale OP
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 413
So no KTM Freeride for the USA.

Talked with KTM North America in Ohio today. They confirmed no Freeride of either flavor will be coming to the United States.
Pretty bummed but now it's time to search elsewhere.

Talk to me about Sherco and Scorpa's offerings? Anyone have a T-ride or x-ride? I'm also considering the Montesa with seat option. Maybe an Ossa.

Have at it! Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
heliyardsale OP
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 413

This looks interesting...

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale View Post

This looks interesting...
Holy photoshop!
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I purchased a new 2013 X Ride over the Labor Day weekend, so far I'm really enjoying it. It definitely makes the tight work a breeze, my friends think I'm cheating.
I took my GasGas 300 Raga out to Moab for a few days last fall, it made every trail a playground compared to my Husqvarna TE250, but at 18mpg wasn't very practical, that trip really planted the trials hybrid seed. I'll have a full opinion of the X Ride in a couple weeks, I'm taking it to Moab for a week starting October 10th, Moab is the real reason I bought it.
So far the X Ride is getting over 30mpg in a tight trials environment, 1.8 gallons should work out really well.
Fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
If you plan to leave the tank/seat on all the time I wouldn't get a Trials bike with an add on tank/seat. A bike that has the seat/ tank designed into it is much more secure.
I haven't seen an Ossa Explorer in the flesh (I'd like to) but it looks to have much better components than the T/X Ride.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
KimDN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale View Post
Talked with KTM North America in Ohio today. They confirmed no Freeride of either flavor will be coming to the United States.
Pretty bummed but now it's time to search elsewhere.

Talk to me about Sherco and Scorpa's offerings? Anyone have a T-ride or x-ride? I'm also considering the Montesa with seat option. Maybe an Ossa.

Have at it! Thoughts, comments, concerns?
I hope you're wrong! But if you're right, I'll have to find another way to get one. Is anyone going to Mexico anytime soon??? If not I like the Montesa with the seat option.
KimDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Holy photoshop!
Not photoshop they really sell them that way...
http://www.betausa.com/node/1945
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
seattlechronic
Floyd

Oddometer: 129
Ossa!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,860
One of those Betas for sale locally:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...rials&ad_cid=9
Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 837
You have an AJP Dealer in the US, why not ask him if he is bringing in any of the AJP PR3 Ultrapassar's
They are made for long distance trials.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,250
Are those street legal in the US?

Otherwise, here's your thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770567
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,704
I rode a Sherco X-ride briefly at Doug's Kawasaki in Farmington, NM. Felt really light and nimble, and was street-legal because the MSO did not state 'off-road only.' if I had any extra money it would have followed me home.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,258
KTM is apparently too big for our dinky market to bring in the Freeride, because the Freerise is niche market bike.

Offerings for this niche within a niche tend to be:

- Dualsport core but more minimalist (Freeride)
- Trials bike core but with seat and tank mods and talk of 'street legal', which is easy in some locales and very hard in others, like Canada.

The only in-between offering I've seen is the Sherco X-Ride, and it is in between only in that it has a trials engine and a minimalized dualsport frame and suspension. Pretty cool idea, actually. I'd love to ride one.

I already have a KLX330 I use to do longer distance off road (with some road). It's modified to be more trials like, but it can do the big trips, such as the 700-mile stint I just did in NM and CO.

Were I to expend dollars for a niche bike, my choice would be? I dunno. The Ossa is nice, but I'd probably go for the X-Ride because it is a little more dualsporty. The big plus of the X-Ride is massive weight reduction over my KLX, while seemingly still being able to do some kind of dualsporting? Would the 5-speed tranny and lack of the ability to go faster leave me in the dust? Just don't know as I haven't ridden one. But I'm sure I'd appreciate its agility in the rough stuff. Whatever the choice it'd have to be for-sure street legal or why bother?
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Boom Boom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I had the Beta Evo with tank kit....all it offered was the ability to haul extra fuel on the bike. Sitting and riding will result in having your toes removed at the first root / rocks. Very unstable sitting and riding at any amount of speed. Have added a X-ride to my collection. If you want something you can sit down and ride in reasonable comfort...mission accomplished. If you think you will hanging with your AA enduro buddies in the woods...then move on. It is a proven trials engine so tons of grunt...will go anywhere...sitting is comfortable but standing is very comfortable. If you are inseam challenged you will love it. If thinking to get one for your wife or kids, expect to be starting it for them because it is a trials engine and kicks over like one.
Mine has a M/C mso and will be getting a plate shortly. Depends on who is doing the importing what the mso will say. Would I ride much road with it...no unless you have a death wish but just perfect for back and dirt road work. The bike comes with just about everything needed to make road worthy in many states. The stock tires are crap...toss them and get a decent knob up front and a 803 or equal out back and just enjoy.
PM me if you have any other questions about the X-ride....no I am not selling them so not a plug for a business....just a satisfied owner.
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
KimDN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
If thinking to get one for your wife or kids, expect to be starting it for them because it is a trials engine and kicks over like one.
I've been wondering if a decompression setup could be added to a high comp trials 2 stroke. It's a popular mod for CR500s, I tried one and it felt like a 125! I figure it would make a 290cc trials bike easy to start for anyone.
KimDN is offline   Reply With Quote