User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #211
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,667
We have a dedicated Trials forum.

I'm merging this into the one over in Trials. Thanks.

dave

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #212
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
There were a couple versions of the TLR around as I recall, from a trail bike to a proper trials bike. I tried a couple and while a better chassis then the old TL250, not quite the motor. And those bikes are ten years newer then the latter. I think if I were gonna spend that kind of money on a 1980's Honda trials it would have to be for one of these....particularlly now with air-cooled mono classes starting to appear!

Where are mono and disc braked bikes showing up in vintage? I`ll take a Ty over one of these tanks any day. A proper set up tl250 does kick butt for it`s class with the right frame mods. You actually see and ride a team honda bike like Whaley and co. rode when Bob N. was team manager? They were awesome. Been there done that, Ty`s out handles these any day of the week.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #213
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
TY v RTL?

Neither of these bikes handle that great, as in common with nearly all older trials machinery they have chopper type steering geometry and footrests mounted very high. Easy enough to improve both areas, and I think there was a photo sequence on Trials Central a while back showing exactly how to go about doing this work?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #214
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Where are mono and disc braked bikes showing up in vintage?
Air-cooled monoshocks here up to 1991. http://www.newyorkaircooledtrials.com
Make sense. These bikes are often a lot older now then the twin shock bikes competing when I first started doing proper "vintage" events around that very time!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #215
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Where are mono and disc braked bikes showing up in vintage? I`ll take a Ty over one of these tanks any day. A proper set up tl250 does kick butt for it`s class with the right frame mods. You actually see and ride a team honda bike like Whaley and co. rode when Bob N. was team manager? They were awesome. Been there done that, Ty`s out handles these any day of the week.
Same in Europe, we call them for LuMo = "Luftgegühlte Monochoque" = aircoold monochoque, like Beta TR 33, 34, Fantic, .... They can have disc's too but no water cooling and still should the older frame design so have suggestively a seat and not a pit and a real fender back and not these flappy beckoning doohickey plastics.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #216
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
flappy beckoning doohickey plastics.

We have a winner! Schrauber you are a genius.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #217
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,371
Talmag Trial Hungry Hill Aldershot January 2012

Some great classic trials bike pics from yesterday in the UK.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...012/?start=all

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #218
P 0 P E Y E
Bald rider

Oddometer: 113
All good stuff. Thanks for posting the cool ship.

Good to see some other blue hairs in this place.
P 0 P E Y E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #219
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Some great classic trials bike pics from yesterday in the UK.
A Douglas flat twin riding trials no less! And the BMW GS guys in this forum think they are hard core off-roaders!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #220
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
flappy beckoning doohickey plastics.

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #221
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Air-cooled monoshocks here up to 1991. http://www.newyorkaircooledtrials.com
Make sense. These bikes are often a lot older now then the twin shock bikes competing when I first started doing proper "vintage" events around that very time!
Funny, I had a similar conversation with another rider last year discussing what is "vintage"...at a time when (depending on the series) many twin-shock bikes are considered not. When I first started riding twinshock/vintage events in the mid eighties, my Honda TL was only ten years old. The "old" British bikes riding around then were often newer at the time then early air cooled monoshocks are today! Ironically it was the arrival of those latter bikes that changed the sport and preciptated that twinshock series way back...as a glut of bikes from the 1970's trials "boom" suddenly became uncompetitve.

Maybe things are starting to come full circle? Good to see the older monos starting to get a little more love out there!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #222
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Funny, I had a similar conversation with another rider last year discussing what is "vintage"...at a time when (depending on the series) many twin-shock bikes are considered not. When I first started riding twinshock/vintage events in the mid eighties, my Honda TL was only ten years old. The "old" British bikes riding around then were often newer at the time then early air cooled monoshocks are today! Ironically it was the arrival of those latter bikes that changed the sport and preciptated that twinshock series way back...as a glut of bikes from the 1970's trials "boom" suddenly became uncompetitve.

Maybe things are starting to come full circle? Good to see the older monos starting to get a little more love out there!
Yes, and Aircooled Mono class is a great addition. They are about 25 years old now. Get those old bikes out and ride 'em. They way I see it is it doesn't matter if you are on a British, Vintage, Twin Shock or Air Cooled Mono....you are riding Trials and that is what matters

The only organization in the world that refuses to recognize the Twin Shock bikes are those Numptys over at AHRMA....don't get me started about them...
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #223
wvtrials
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I too rode in the Nyact the last two years.
For the coming year I had to go out and buy and rebuild a TY350 mono.
I always wanted one, but by the time I got back into trials about 5 years ago after a 30 year break. The aircooled monos where to old for modern trials and to new for vintage.
It took me a 1 1/2 to find one that was not a total wreck.
So there is already some clubs that are letting in and are glad to have the air cooled Monos.
NYACT and MAVT are only two of many that I know about.
Ahrma is dieing for trilas so why worry about what they if let in or not. Buy it, Ride it, take it out of the shed and Ride it and have a good time doing it.
wvtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #224
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I get the feeling that AHRMA is nearing the end of the road in terms of organising classic trials events in the US. There seems to be too much BS and nit picking rules and regulation, which either increase the cost of competing, or simply means you cant compete at all on certain bikes!

The way forward in the US seems to be ITSA sanctioned events, where levels of BS appear to be low, and its possible to compete on pretty much anything, with no need to worry about ridiculous AHRMA "rules"!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #225
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtrials View Post
I too rode in the Nyact the last two years.
For the coming year I had to go out and buy and rebuild a TY350 mono.
I always wanted one, but by the time I got back into trials about 5 years ago after a 30 year break. The aircooled monos where to old for modern trials and to new for vintage.
It took me a 1 1/2 to find one that was not a total wreck.
So there is already some clubs that are letting in and are glad to have the air cooled Monos.
NYACT and MAVT are only two of many that I know about.
Ahrma is dieing for trilas so why worry about what they if let in or not. Buy it, Ride it, take it out of the shed and Ride it and have a good time doing it.
AHRMA is DYING...... in general.. There fixed your next to last line!
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote