Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #496
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,336
I'm new to trials (on an actual trials bike) but have been riding for 45+ years both off and on road. As with all sports both motorized and otherwise the future lies with our youth (or at least the younger guys). I feel that the age classes of the bikes should be advanced as the newer bikes get older... it only makes sense. The rules don't need to be changed every year, bring in newer bikes every two to three years to keep the younger guys interested.
Younger guys who are coming into the vintage trials scene really don't want to ride bikes that are twice as old as they are in order to compete. As was said previously... We want to compete on the bikes of our youth not the bikes our fathers rode... same goes for the younger guys coming into the fold.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #497
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
roadholder,
You made me think back of how long ago I started vintage trials. 1989 was 24 years ago. My BSA B40 was 24 years old then. So it sounds perfectly logical that motorcycles from '89 should be more than old enough now.
What everyone is fighting within AHRMA is that the people that started it wanted to preserve their early years on a motorcycle. Unfortunately they have all gotten too old to ride at any level, so their motorcycles are put back. Now a younger generation comes up and wants to ride the motorcycles of their youth, but the older guys don't want to let their idealized memory's fall to the wayside, so they fight false tooth and nail to prevent the newer stuff from being used.
Just a changing of the guard thing. Time will fix everything.

That seems pretty much spot on to me! If AHRMA continue to promote the idea of over 70 riders competing on rigid bikes, then I guess its only a matter of time before someone sets up a rival organisation to cater for younger riders, on newer bikes................
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #498
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
roadholder,
You made me think back of how long ago I started vintage trials. 1989 was 24 years ago. My BSA B40 was 24 years old then. So it sounds perfectly logical that motorcycles from '89 should be more than old enough now.
What everyone is fighting within AHRMA is that the people that started it wanted to preserve their early years on a motorcycle. Unfortunately they have all gotten too old to ride at any level, so their motorcycles are put back. Now a younger generation comes up and wants to ride the motorcycles of their youth, but the older guys don't want to let their idealized memory's fall to the wayside, so they fight false tooth and nail to prevent the newer stuff from being used.
Just a changing of the guard thing. Time will fix everything.
I just hope there is enough time.
These last few posts make a lot of sense.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #499
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
That seems pretty much spot on to me! If AHRMA continue to promote the idea of over 70 riders competing on rigid bikes, then I guess its only a matter of time before someone sets up a rival organisation to cater for younger riders, on newer bikes................
DONE!!! ITSA www.twinshock.org www.mtwestvintagetrials.org

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #500
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
A while back I was contacted by one of the "old guard" riders who wanted help organizing a event for "proper" vintage trials bikes! Translation, no Japanese or later twin shocks I expect. My response was basically, who was going to ride this event, me and the one other guy who comes out with a Triumph Cub? That opportunity passed 15 years ago and the reality is we have had no trouble accomodating pre-65 type and much later bikes at events. Another reality has been that guys who do come out with older bikes tend to be fairly "handy" with them and will generally ride a more difficult line then a novice on an SWM or TY! Three or Four lines will cover the bases.

It's really not an "either/or" thing, but that makes for a good excuse to support any bias. I was exposed to enough of that BS back in the early days of riding vintage events (on my Honda TL) to not perpetuate it once the shoe was on the other foot!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #501
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
I wonder when the first Observed Trials in the USA were held. USA championships only date back to 1972 and I see El Trials results back to 1970.
Anybody know?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #502
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I can remember going to local trials in the mid sixty's. I also remember my uncle winning a FIM North American Championship that Bill Grapevine put on in the early- mid sixty's. Sorry I was just a little kid back then, but I do remember the big cup.
Nodabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #503
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post

At this point it feels like everyone just wants to bash AHRMA. I doubt excluding late model twin shocks has anything to do with lack of young folks participating.
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #504
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
At this point it feels like everyone just wants to bash AHRMA. I doubt excluding late model twin shocks has anything to do with lack of young folks participating.
Not bashing, just a different view of what we should include in vintage trials. And what type/difficulty of sections we want to ride. I wish AHRMA all the best, the vintage trials community is too small as it is and as far as I am concerned I want everyone to succeed.

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #505
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm not bashing AHRMA in any way. I was one of the first members of AHRMA. I worked my butt off for vintage trials for 15 years and then watched it drop off of the map because of not keeping up with it's market.
The first thing to remember is that trials in itself is a tiny sport, and vintage trials is a tiny subset of that. It isn't ever going to be big, but it can be self sustaining. The events must follow the customers, if more modern machinery is what the customers want to ride, I say open it up to them. I know that people say that the sections will have to get harder to challenge the bikes. I say phooey, most riders aren't that good in the first place, and I can lay out a section with 6 lines without too much trouble, just a few more splits and take some angles away from the higher lines.
Sorry, I didn't start this to rile people up. I just thought that someone would like to have a glimpse of what the mindset of the inside was like.
Nodabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #506
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
I say phooey, most riders aren't that good in the first place
Hey! I resemble that remark!
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike

SnoDrtRider screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 06:19 PM
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #507
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #508
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Phooey, Old Geezer and company set some very technical sections which got plenty of points out of me last weekend. If it would of rained while I was still out it would of been damn hard!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #509
jberg98n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Sipapu ITSA Trials

It did rain on me, and yes, it WAS damn hard. But it sure beat the heck out if having to do something worse with your Saturday afternoon like play golf! Thanks John, Dan, & Bob!
jberg98n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #510
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post

If Walmart for instance, sold products that no one wanted, is it likely they would still be in business? Its a fact of life that organisers putting on trials in which no one wants to compete, isnt likely to be commercially viable, or to attract new riders to the sport.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote