Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #631
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I used to live in western WA and race MX. After every muddy race, which was most of them, I had to clean out the brakes and wheel bearings. I always hated doing it.
I fixed the problem by moving to eastern WA, where it's much dryer.
Eventually disc brakes came along and made life much easier. Now when I ride a muddy Trial I leave the vintage bike home and ride the modern bike. Vintage bikes need vintage maintenance.
Lucky for you your Bul is old enough to have steel brake drums. The later models with the chrome lined aluminum drums not only didn't work when wet, but the mud quickly ground the chrome out of the drum.
Yep cleaning the drum brakes is very important after a muddy day, especial when the brakes touched water or you were lazy with the power washer, (never use a power washer or spill water on the hubs with drum brakes).

I clean the drum brakes too very often, as inside they clog themselves up with brake pad debris leaving a glossy film on the pads.

To the debris inside the tire, again power washing is one reason, this can too happen with modern bikes if the water "beam" hits the joint between tire and rim ...

The tire himself is too moving a lot as we ride with very little tire pressure, the flexing of the tire can carry mud in the tire interior, (unfortunately). There is no help just putting some more air in the tires would reduce this.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #632
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Yep cleaning the drum brakes is very important after a muddy day, especial when the brakes touched water or you were lazy with the power washer, (never use a power washer or spill water on the hubs with drum brakes).

I clean the drum brakes too very often, as inside they clog themselves up with brake pad debris leaving a glossy film on the pads.

To the debris inside the tire, again power washing is one reason, this can too happen with modern bikes if the water "beam" hits the joint between tire and rim ...

The tire himself is too moving a lot as we ride with very little tire pressure, the flexing of the tire can carry mud in the tire interior, (unfortunately). There is no help just putting some more air in the tires would reduce this.
Knowing that the motorcycle was already in need of serious maintenance I did in fact use a power washer to clean it. The brakes went away completely during the event so I knew they had to come apart. Mostly I am concerned about the mud entering the tire and I am not looking forward to removing the front tire to clean it. I have never heard of this happening and was curious if others had experienced the problem.
Seattle
darmst6829 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #633
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
I think a classic trial should be like this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHTj...ature=youtu.be
Great footage. Yikes...twenty years ago! Lots of pre-65 classics still running around over there then, and even today from what I understand.
Unfortunately most of the classic British trials bikes (and their riders!) that used to come out to events in my parts are no longer seen.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #634
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Knowing that the motorcycle was already in need of serious maintenance I did in fact use a power washer to clean it. The brakes went away completely during the event so I knew they had to come apart. Mostly I am concerned about the mud entering the tire and I am not looking forward to removing the front tire to clean it. I have never heard of this happening and was curious if others had experienced the problem.
Can you tell me what kind of rims does the bike have and which kind of trials tire make and model?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #635
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you tell me what kind of rims does the bike have and which kind of trials tire make and model?
Sure, Dunlop D803's mounted on flanged Akront rims.
Seattle
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #636
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Great footage. Yikes...twenty years ago! Lots of pre-65 classics still running around over there then, and even today from what I understand.
Unfortunately most of the classic British trials bikes (and their riders!) that used to come out to events in my parts are no longer seen.
Great video. I was surprised about no helmets. Made it look like it was even older.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #637
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure, Dunlop D803's mounted on flanged Akront rims.
I don't know what you mean with flanged, can be the very old Acront rims or the newer ones that are made for tubeless tires, if so you ain't gonna get a problem which is very good.

The D803 is a tubeless tire, the bead of the tire doesn't match perfect to the old Acront rims mounted to twin shockers or vice a verse, or in other words they do not sit very good on the Acront T or TL rims (red or yellow Acront label), the other tubeless tires like Michelin, ... have the same issue.

It can be solved by mounting a tubliss tube, this will hold the tire to the bead of the older rims.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #638
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo83 View Post
Great video. I was surprised about no helmets. Made it look like it was even older.
They should of had at least a good cap on. I remember my Montesa Vinyl cap saved my head on several occasions. About the time I moved up to expert, was about the same time our helmet rule came along.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #639
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
In the early "70s, when I was riding a "74 Sherpa T, some guys wore some kind of funny looking rubber trials boots. Kind of like rubber rain boots. And pants and jackets that looked like running suits, and very little (no) if any pads or helmet. I wore dirt bike boots and shin/Knee guards under my jeans and one of those stupid looking plastic ice hockey helmets. Most guys didn't but I came from enduros and had already been down hard a few times.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 04:55 PM
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #640
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
Dunlap boots were never my thing. I wore Norstars, with long red socks, jeans and jersy. I still have my Belstaff jacket, but I would need to be starved in half for it to fit.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #641
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know what you mean with flanged, can be the very old Acront rims or the newer ones that are made for tubeless tires, if so you ain't gonna get a problem which is very good.

The D803 is a tubeless tire, the bead of the tire doesn't match perfect to the old Acront rims mounted to twin shockers or vice a verse, or in other words they do not sit very good on the Acront T or TL rims (red or yellow Acront label), the other tubeless tires like Michelin, ... have the same issue.

It can be solved by mounting a tubliss tube, this will hold the tire to the bead of the older rims.
I had no idea the tire would be a problem.
Seattle
Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #642
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
I just mounted a tubeless trials tire (donated by my friend Luke) on my stock TL 125 DID rear rim (using an inner tube), it was a bear to mount and has yet to fully seat on the rim. We were just talking tonight about removing the air, greasing thoroughly with liquid soap and trying to get it to bead up. Argh!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #643
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
The old style Akronts hold mud and water around the spoke nipples, which I'm sure makes it easier for water to leak in past the nipples. We used to put closed cell foam in the valances of the rims to keep them from packing full of mud which added a lot of weight to the wheels.
I was very glad when we got rims that could shed mud and water.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #644
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

+1

A good rim tape can solve the problem of the nipples but as said the differences between the new tubeless and the old tube type tires depending the bead will sadly not be solved so easy.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #645
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo83 View Post
Yeah, I grew up thinking this was standard trials head gear!

The dramatic increase in helmet usage and quality since is a good thing.
As for today's Spandex unitard suits...well not so much!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote