Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #106
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Has anyone seen a copy of this new UK-based magazine? A first I think for vintage trials? Some interesting articles from what I can see. Might try and get my hands on a copy.
It is available in the UK at railway stations book and paper-press stores in Europe, (Germany at least) or in the www: http://www.boutiquecppresse.com/lang-en/
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #107
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
This guy didn't get the news that the Alpina isn't a trial bike! Good for him I would say!

GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #108
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
YOu guys do understand, that you can so quickly, sink more money in these vintage bikes, than cost of a new modern, with all the new gear and accessories, helmet and riding gear, right? Parts are scarce, you cant even find the side covers for the TL Honda's that they must have built thousands of. Our USDollar is worthless overseas where those people are remanufacturing the rare parts, for rare dollars too.

Just sayin. I cant figure out what the big old romantic type of obsession is with this Classic thing. My dad kind of has it, I barely have it, just until I light the old bike and "CLANK-BASH" it over the log that I dont even feel it on modern bikes ...

Sure, you start out with the idea your going to pull your old bike out of someone's barn, then you find out that the throttle cable or chain tensioner, is damn near unobtanium, then you get it all fixed best a fair hobbiest can (welding sanding painting building your own parts that you can) then get to a meet, and find bikes like your with $1000 dollar shocks, $500 seat/tank combo, $1200 frames with old pro modifications, then all the polished to refurbished parts these guys got.

Hell, if I had more than 1000 in my old twinshock, (no not counting the fantic) I sure as hell, would be afraid to ride the S.O.B. and drop the dang thing, and I guarantee you my experience is, they are gravity challenged, and take you down, where you wouldn't even dream of falling on the modern, you know? lol. I was in the our little play pit, behind the barn and dang. these fist sized little rocks slip the rear, stops the bike unlike anything, and your are hunting for the place to put your foot, then next thing you know, your buddy (or dad) is laughing and liftin that heavy thing off your leg. Go ahead, axe me how I know this...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #109
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
YOu guys do understand, that you can so quickly, sink more money in these vintage bikes, than cost of a new modern, with all the new gear and accessories, helmet and riding gear, right? Parts are scarce, you cant even find the side covers for the TL Honda's that they must have built thousands of. Our USDollar is worthless overseas where those people are remanufacturing the rare parts, for rare dollars too.

Just sayin. I cant figure out what the big old romantic type of obsession is with this Classic thing. My dad kind of has it, I barely have it, just until I light the old bike and "CLANK-BASH" it over the log that I dont even feel it on modern bikes ...

Sure, you start out with the idea your going to pull your old bike out of someone's barn, then you find out that the throttle cable or chain tensioner, is damn near unobtanium, then you get it all fixed best a fair hobbiest can (welding sanding painting building your own parts that you can) then get to a meet, and find bikes like your with $1000 dollar shocks, $500 seat/tank combo, $1200 frames with old pro modifications, then all the polished to refurbished parts these guys got.

Hell, if I had more than 1000 in my old twinshock, (no not counting the fantic) I sure as hell, would be afraid to ride the S.O.B. and drop the dang thing, and I guarantee you my experience is, they are gravity challenged, and take you down, where you wouldn't even dream of falling on the modern, you know? lol. I was in the our little play pit, behind the barn and dang. these fist sized little rocks slip the rear, stops the bike unlike anything, and your are hunting for the place to put your foot, then next thing you know, your buddy (or dad) is laughing and liftin that heavy thing off your leg. Go ahead, axe me how I know this...
You may find it hard to believe that there are a lot of folks who enjoy vintage bikes even though they know modern bikes are "better." I ride a modern, but with a vintage group. There are quite a few riders who have both and ride the right bike depending on whether they're riding a vintage or modern event.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #110
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
You may find it hard to believe that there are a lot of folks who enjoy vintage bikes even though they know modern bikes are "better." I ride a modern, but with a vintage group. There are quite a few riders who have both and ride the right bike depending on whether they're riding a vintage or modern event.
I dont find it hard to believe, lol. I was just sayin, seems even more expensive hobby to me for one, *I think* lol. I too have been fixing up several vintage bikes, ya know? It wasn't a derrogatory comment either, just my own thoughts, ya know...

I get that "wow" I rode that, when I see old bikes in vintage classes and pictures, then I'm like sure wish I had one to fix up, then I am like holy cow they want how much for that used part?

Merry Xmas.

I've been threatening to start my own business, and one thought was how to reproduce hard to find parts, you know? Like side covers for honda TL's and tanks for the 199a &b Sherpa-t's and the list goes on... right now my latest project is a pretty decent 76TY 250.

I sold my 79 sherpa-t to buy my modern bike, 99 gasgas 321. kind of mad that I let it go for nothing, it was all there, with lots (everything) of the aftermarket parts we had aquired in the late 70's and early 80's, that are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowdays it seems, and if you do find them they want a mint. I rode that big ol SOB until 2002, when I bought the GG.

Sting32 screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 09:22 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #111
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,185
Thanks for all the input guys (I think) I decided to go with a strictly trials bike and this followed me home this morning...

It has a Mikuni carb and new IRC Radials. Needs rear wheel bearings, fork seals and some clean up/tuning but it is usable out of the box.
It is all original except for a UNI filter... I have the original airbox and will put that back on.

WOW that pic sucks!

Gone but not forgotten...
1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s

SnoDrtRider screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 01:26 PM
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #112
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Nice find SnoRider! The Cota 200 is and was a great bike. Light, agile, great turning, super traction.....Be gentle on the kickstarter. No need to stomp on it, just a gentle prod. Kick start shaft will break eventually if you abuse it. She looks like a real clean survivor. Enjoy!
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #113
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

I took her home and gave her a bath... Here is a better pic after a little clean up.

1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s
Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #114
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
gorgeous bike . Ive always wanted a cota 200
Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #115
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Anyone have recommendations for oil in the Cota? I was going to use either Klotz Be-noil or Blendzall Castor... I can't wait for that smell. The fuel in this bike is stale... you can smell it when it's running. The pre-owner said the gas was almost as old as him But the bike still started and runs on it. Has to be some pre-ethanol fuel or it would be gel.

1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s
Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #116
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
Anyone have recommendations for oil in the Cota? I was going to use either Klotz Be-noil or Blendzall Castor... el.
You will kill it using that crap.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #117
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
You will kill it using that crap.

Dave
Well... what do you suggest?

1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s
Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #118
SherpaT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Anyone have recommendations for oil in the Cota? I was going to use either Klotz Be-noil or Blendzall Castor... I can't wait for that smell. The fuel in this bike is stale... you can smell it when it's running. The pre-owner said the gas was almost as old as him But the bike still started and runs on it. Has to be some pre-ethanol fuel or it would be gel.
Your Cota 200 looks great! My Dad had one of those, and loved it.

You'll get lots of different opinions on what oil, and what ratio! I like Maxima fully synthetic at 64:1, but you might want to run a little richer if you're going to trail ride, rather than ride trials. One warning, those fiberglass tanks hate ethonal, so drain the tank if it's going to sit for more than a week or two.

For the gearbox, I really like Honda HP Trans Oil 80W85. It has a nice smooth clutch action, and is reasonably priced.
SherpaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #119
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaT View Post
Your Cota 200 looks great! My Dad had one of those, and loved it.

You'll get lots of different opinions on what oil, and what ratio! I like Maxima fully synthetic at 64:1, but you might want to run a little richer if you're going to trail ride, rather than ride trials. One warning, those fiberglass tanks hate ethonal, so drain the tank if it's going to sit for more than a week or two.

For the gearbox, I really like Honda HP Trans Oil 80W85. It has a nice smooth clutch action, and is reasonably priced.
Thanks... Wow 64:1! The manual calls for Castrol TT @ 20-32:1 Guess the modern synthetics lube a lot better!

I was told the tank was coated internally in order to avoid the ethanol problem but I'll drain it during periods of non use just to be safe. I've looked at a lot of bikes with glass tanks that were seeping... don't want to go there!

1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s
Old 12-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #120
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Well... what do you suggest?
Well I think PSchrauber is on the right track by using synthetic fuel. I have been experimenting with Truefuel40. Although I think 40:1 is not enough oil. Spanish bike like 32:1. Fiberglass tanks are bad with pump fuel.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote