ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #121
sdm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Oddometer: 28
I am running Maxima synthetic @ 32 to 1 in my 247 Cotas and it works well. I probably could go with less oil but I figure if it is not fouling plugs it is good to go. That is a nice 200 Cota you picked up...
Be careful however as 2 years ago I couldn't spell "Cota" and now I have 3 of them! I don't get how that works....
Sam
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #122
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: California
Oddometer: 268
Silkolene Comp 2 is a great oil that burns clean and leaves little residue behind.

All 2T oils will "protect" a trials engine so therefore a "clean burn" is what becomes important.

http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?c...duct&sub=ride#

Since a trials bikes runs at low RPM much of the oil goes un-burned and residue builds up in the engine and exhaust. On some bikes you can see the black spooge leaking out of some exhaust pipe joints.....also the exhaust packing gets soaked in oil and hardens the packing and then performance decreases. That is why re-packing silencers becomes necessary.

That's also why you see 2 stroke trials bikes smoke like crazy after a long hill climb...the exhaust is full of un-burned oil.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #123
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I am running Maxima synthetic @ 32 to 1 in my 247 Cotas and it works well. I probably could go with less oil but I figure if it is not fouling plugs it is good to go. That is a nice 200 Cota you picked up...
Be careful however as 2 years ago I couldn't spell "Cota" and now I have 3 of them! I don't get how that works....
Sam
Quite a lot oil IMHO this will clogg your exhausts very fast, and you can't replace the isultaion very easy as the exhausts and the silencer are welded! (*)

For normal classic trials 1:75 or 1,5% is standard here in Europe,
for modern indoor events 1:100 / 1% is standard.
To be sure not to clogg your exhaust something inbetween 1:50 for trails and 1:75 for trial is completly OK
when you use synthetic 2-stroke oil like Ipone shyntesis 2 which has a homologation for to be used up to 1,5%:
http://www.trials-action.de/product_...roducts_id=729

Mix it with premium gas and the lowest amount of ethanol you can get.

In the "old" days due to the closed build exhausts, (see (*) ), we got 1:100 or 1% two-stroke oil that was expecially made for Bultaco trialsbikes for example, (Montesa or Fantic, ... had also their own homologated brands oil too).

They don't produce this oil anymore and sadly with the new kind of gas not recommendable anymore. Back then I never had any issues with 1:100 or 1% when using the Bultaco oil, sadly got very fast a problem with Castrol TTS, which isn't bad either but doesnt deliver a full "grease-layer" when thinned so much.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #124
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
I took her home and gave her a bath... Here is a better pic after a little clean up.


Very cool and much better then a heavy Bultaco Sherpa (I have a Bultaco Sherpa !!!), the Montesa is much lighter has a shorter wheelbase, ... you can do terrific thing with this bike. Congratulation to your decision.

Here in Germany this model is often used in classictrials, there are also a lot of modded bikes around, here a 330
from Spain:
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #125
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?
 
SnoDrtRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: South Jersey... Close to the Pines
Oddometer: 2,350
I think the manual calls for 3% but that would be oil from back in 1980 plus good non ethanol fuel. There are some places around that reportedly still have non ethanol fuel but I need to research where to get it.
Thanks for all the info and accolades regarding the decision... I assure you it was purely beginners luck... I saw it on Craigslist and e-mailed the seller and next thing I know I'm making plans to go see it the following morning.
I had second thoughts after reading about the kickstart issues and some transmission troubles but I figured I at least owed the seller a look at for his troubles. Once I saw that it was 99% original and in great shape I figured I couldn't really go wrong.
__________________
Wayne 2005 BMW F650GS... 1984 HD FXRS
Gone but not forgotten...
'80 Montesa Cota 200, '03 DRZ 400s,
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #126
motojunky
Professional Idiot
 
motojunky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North East, MD
Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
I think the manual calls for 3% but that would be oil from back in 1980 plus good non ethanol fuel. There are some places around that reportedly still have non ethanol fuel but I need to research where to get it.
Thanks for all the info and accolades regarding the decision... I assure you it was purely beginners luck... I saw it on Craigslist and e-mailed the seller and next thing I know I'm making plans to go see it the following morning.
I had second thoughts after reading about the kickstart issues and some transmission troubles but I figured I at least owed the seller a look at for his troubles. Once I saw that it was 99% original and in great shape I figured I couldn't really go wrong.
Was that the one in DE? I was tempted to look at that since it's close to me. I wasn't really thinking of buying, but kept thinking about going to look. Looks like a good score!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #127
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?
 
SnoDrtRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: South Jersey... Close to the Pines
Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Was that the one in DE? I was tempted to look at that since it's close to me. I wasn't really thinking of buying, but kept thinking about going to look. Looks like a good score!
Yes it was in Newark... Strange thing was that I had been searching CL for Bultaco, Ossa, Montesa for over a month and it just showed up even though the post date was Nov. 26th.
__________________
Wayne 2005 BMW F650GS... 1984 HD FXRS
Gone but not forgotten...
'80 Montesa Cota 200, '03 DRZ 400s,
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #128
SherpaT
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: York, PA
Oddometer: 57
Winter Project

1983 Cota 349.

Do-list:

- Lower the footpegs, 25mm or so.

- Fix the LOUSY brakes. Hopefully Galfer makes shoes for it.

- Try to improve the on/off clutch.

- Remove the chain tubes (it has a chain tensioner).

- Experiment with raising the forks, 10mm or so.

SherpaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #129
Sting32
Trials Evangelist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, Ks
Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaT View Post
1983 Cota 349.

Do-list:

- Lower the footpegs, 25mm or so.

- Fix the LOUSY brakes. Hopefully Galfer makes shoes for it.

- Try to improve the on/off clutch.

- Remove the chain tubes (it has a chain tensioner).

- Experiment with raising the forks, 10mm or so.
- change nickname from Sherpa-t (LOL just joking)
- get some hand squeezing workout tools, that is what it will take. Heheee

Crap, looks like museum quality? drum brakes are just crappy, that is why arhma and itsa wont let you convert to disc, they are that much better even with 80's era calipers, you know? what you can do is sand the pads enough to get that hardened/contaminated layer off, easy here, you want to preserve that 99% of the pads contact the drum area, if you get this out of round so to speak, braking gets worse. I always slightly sand on the drums, kind of cross ways, so it wears the pads in better seems to brake better. that was back in the day, but you risk eventually wearing out the drum area eventually. Some were thinly chrome plated drum inserts. Not positive about montessa, I had the 1975 172 model in my day...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #130
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
- change nickname from Sherpa-t (LOL just joking)
- get some hand squeezing workout tools, that is what it will take. Heheee

Crap, looks like museum quality? drum brakes are just crappy, that is why arhma and itsa wont let you convert to disc, they are that much better even with 80's era calipers, you know? what you can do is sand the pads enough to get that hardened/contaminated layer off, easy here, you want to preserve that 99% of the pads contact the drum area, if you get this out of round so to speak, braking gets worse. I always slightly sand on the drums, kind of cross ways, so it wears the pads in better seems to brake better. that was back in the day, but you risk eventually wearing out the drum area eventually. Some were thinly chrome plated drum inserts. Not positive about montessa, I had the 1975 172 model in my day...

This is a very nice Montesa, a real machine of the beginning 80's with 350cc!

To your chain tubes, one of the best things Montesa invited, many build these tubes to their other machines to get the chain better protected against mud, ... (I did mount them to my Italjet Piuma back these days!).

The drum brakes are drum brakes you can't expect the power of disk brakes, to get the maximum out of your brakes
do as follows:

- take chalk and appla it to the brake pads, now mount the the brake capilar with the axle in the hub, turn the capilar and engage the brake lever her and then. When you now take the capilar out ayou will see how much of the brake have really contact with the drum, normally only 30% when new pads are insatalled.

Easiset way to align them to the drum is to mount the complete capilar with the pads in a lathe and turn down exessive material. Then you have full contact between brake drum and brake pad:





After milling away exessive material with a lathe:




The trick is to mount new brake pads as the old one are to hard, fresh coated ones are much smoother and do their job very well.

An enhancement would be to place steel inserts inside the drums, these will brake much better,

Last enhancement you can do is to mount grooved brake pads if you want, but these wear quick!


Here the adress for the grooved brake pads: http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_...roducts_id=178
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #131
TUCKERS
the famous james
 
TUCKERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA.
Oddometer: 11,617
1975 Honda TL250

This is my ride
Attached Images
 
__________________
James and Colleen Tucker.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
DMV work/insurance/registration/titles/address use/room rental/motorbike&vehicle buying/travelers help/problems solved
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #132
TUCKERS
the famous james
 
TUCKERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA.
Oddometer: 11,617
another

other side
Attached Images
 
__________________
James and Colleen Tucker.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
DMV work/insurance/registration/titles/address use/room rental/motorbike&vehicle buying/travelers help/problems solved
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #133
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lurkerlou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops BC
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post
Vintage Trials? Yea, we do that.

125 Sprite, 175 Greeves Pathfinder, 125 Saracen, TY 175, TY 250. There is also a 125 Dalesman not together yet.

And the latest, just picked this up last week. 125 Penton Trials.

I have owned this bike before and rode it a lot. In 2001 I won an AHRMA championship on it riding the 2 line and also made the cover of Vintage Views. Then like a dummy I sold it to finance the next putter. Getting it back was like stepping into a time machine. All these years it had been on display in an office and it is exactly like I sold it.
Love your Penton

Here's my Dalesman :)



My dad purchased it new and it was the first bike I rode on when I was 3 or 4 until I got my own bike. I still have it , and love it.

Any idea where to get a cork for the Ewarts petcock?

Awesome thread.

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 05:21 PM
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #134
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
Love your Penton

Here's my Dalesman :)



My dad purchased it new and it was the first bike I rode on when I was 3 or 4 until I got my own bike. I still have it , and love it.

Any idea where to get a cork for the Ewarts petcock?

Awesome thread.
A very nice trialsbike indeed,

To the petcock you might, (I' am not sure), find here the right cork for your petcock:

http://www.domiracer.com/petcocks.html
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #135
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lurkerlou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops BC
Oddometer: 223
I replied to your PM too PSchrauber that is the ticket right there buddy.

10 of them for $6.95 you gotta love that!

Thanks again for the steer in the right direction my friend.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014