Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #1501
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde44 View Post
I got a chance to ride the Explorer last week in Spain. Just a single day ride, but it's a taste - a very sweet taste...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/893/12...irst-Ride.aspx
Enjoyed your report and wasn't jealous for one second

Lots of judgements being made by forum folk on the output of some very short and managed tests (like your own test). I expect you and the rest of us are eager to see how the bike fairs on deeper examination. Any idea when that will happen, JC?
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1502
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
He's just annoyed because he has to live with the crappy NSW weather whilst the UK has fine riding weather all year round

No adventure in the UK???? He clearly hasn't ridden out of London on the M4 in the rush hour when it's pissing it down

I think he just likes to wind you up; maybe he just gets lonely or something

I guess my point is, adventure is where you find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Jeeze don't tell me the Triumph guys are going to get all touchy and possessive of "their" threads - I thought that only happened over at oilheads.

Everybody has their own perspective, some more informed than others - don't know why you have to own a bike to have an opinion about it. Especially in the case of the Tiger 1200 - there a ZERO owners so far so it's pretty much a level playing field innit?
No, not getting touchy, I was just responding in kind to his post. By all means be interested in any bike/thread you want but I've seen him in other threads where all he does is bang on about the S10 and how great it is. It is a great bike but this thread is about the new Tigger 1200 and not about the S10. Is the Tigger better than the S10 ? Who cares, the best bike in the world is the one you're riding. Sure, as you can see from my sig, I'm a big Triumph fan but I don't try and persuade anyone they're the best in the world. I could care less what people ride, I ride Triumph because that's what I like and I don't feel the need to knock another brand
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #1503
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,212
The Sten'ers bastardized the name of their bikes so bad they named it after a mid-sized chevy truck instead of the place it was named for so what do they know?

Poke him in the ribs a bit and start calling it an S12. (it's a more accurate description anyway)

Triumph stores now taking deposits for the E12 I know of two that are still available .

DAKEZ screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 09:53 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #1504
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The Sten'ers bastardized the name of their bikes so bad they named it after a mid-sized chevy truck instead of the place it was named for so what do they know?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #1505
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Looking forward to test riding one.

I've had my Tenere for about a month now and am convinced even more every time I ride it that I made the right choice to buy it instead of the Explorer.

I'd actually like to be wrong. Always good to have something to step up to, and if the Explorer is it for me I'll have one early next year. I see this more as a matter of rider priorities as opposed to which is better. I already know what I gave up by buying the S10 , but the Explorer is going to have a high benchmark on my priorities list to match the S10 characteristics I like. We'll see...
I like what I'm reading so far on these differant reviews but still can't wait until actual buyers start receiving and riding this bike .

Dave, I could be wrong but didn't you just purchase a Vee not to long ago? Are you one who switches up on bikes fairely often or did you just find a deal you could'nt refuse on a S10 ?

Just curious, I tend to try and keep my bikes for a long time ( I believe 6 years is the shortest time I've ever kept a bike and still have one thats 31 yrs old) as I hate putting money in a bike and than sell it at a lose to get something else.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #1506
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
As for Tall rounders and the UK - the question shouldn't be "Why do we ride them?", it should be "Why don't more of us ride them?".
There are now nearly 70 million people living here, all in an area about the size of Texas. Speed cameras are a part of life. Fuel is bastard expensive. The age demographic of Joe Biker is 46 +.
I still can't figure why anyone still buys pure sports bikes over here - but that's just me.
Most guys have come to big Adv type bikes due to a process of logical elimination. The new Tiger looks to have all the boxes ticked and will more than likely have a waiting list. Not many mfgs can say that at this time.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #1507
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
As for Tall rounders and the UK - the question shouldn't be "Why do we ride them?", it should be "Why don't more of us ride them?".
There are now nearly 70 million people living here, all in an area about the size of Texas. Speed cameras are a part of life. Fuel is bastard expensive. The age demographic of Joe Biker is 46 +.
I still can't figure why anyone still buys pure sports bikes over here - but that's just me.
Most guys have come to big Adv type bikes due to a process of logical elimination. The new Tiger looks to have all the boxes ticked and will more than likely have a waiting list. Not many mfgs can say that at this time.
Personally, I think my Tigger is the best bike I have ever owned in 30+ years of riding. I too cannot understand the fascination with sports bikes (either here or in the UK/Europe). These kinds of DS/ADV bikes have a great riding position and can go plenty fast enough for my meagre skills (and my license) will allow with the plus point that I can do a bit of dirt now and again and it's also great on the shitty frost-heave type roads we have in New England.

I am very happy with my 800 and I personally I don't need the extra grunt etc. the 1200 would give me - I don't do 2 up for example. If I want stupid scarey fast, I ride my Husky in the dirt or I hop on my Speed Triple.

Bottom line, there's really no bad bikes these days, we are all spoiled for choice and Charlie and Ewan have a lot to answer for
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #1508
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Yup. Agreed on all points.
I should add that MCN - UK, have a big piece on the new Explorer tomorrow - and a spy shot of a heavily updated Tiger 1050, which they have christened the Tiger Sport. Hinckley are most certainly on a roll..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-february-29/
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #1509
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Yup. Agreed on all points.
I should add that MCN - UK, have a big piece on the new Explorer tomorrow - and a spy shot of a heavily updated Tiger 1050, which they have christened the Tiger Sport. Hinckley are most certainly on a roll..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-february-29/
Some ADVers doubted that the Sprint iterations were to be deleted, and the Tiger 1050 was to become Triumph's 'sport tourer'.

ahem.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #1510
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Tell me Murcury as I have obviously missed something here..

What is the point of a GS over and RT in the sunny British Isles, if all that happens is a ride down back lanes between pubs and high speed races down freeways.

Why not just produce Tourers? What is the actual practical point of these bikes over there?
Um..

- crappy roads
- good roads in crappy places
- legal lane-splitting
- good road presence in congested and low-light areas
- luggage that isn't 10 feet wide
- crash/drop durability
- home servicing, if you like
- lack of hi-tech, but lots of usability
- fast enough
- Scotland
- Europe on the doorstep
- climate

Most UK ADV riders come from sports bikes, so ADV bikes are a step sideways to cope with what we have. Tbh ADV bikes are the perfect versatile bikes for our country (I might be wrong, but I think the GS series in the UK sells more than any other market except for Germany), whereas Tourers are heavier, more expensive to service, and cost more in a drop or crash.

From what I can see - and it's a gross generalisation of course - many USA riders come to ADV bikes from cruisers (used to comfort) or dirt-bikes (need better street manners).
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 12:00 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #1511
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Personally, I think my Tigger is the best bike I have ever owned in 30+ years of riding. I too cannot understand the fascination with sports bikes (either here or in the UK/Europe). These kinds of DS/ADV bikes have a great riding position and can go plenty fast enough for my meagre skills (and my license) will allow with the plus point that I can do a bit of dirt now and again and it's also great on the shitty frost-heave type roads we have in New England.

I am very happy with my 800 and I personally I don't need the extra grunt etc. the 1200 would give me - I don't do 2 up for example. If I want stupid scarey fast, I ride my Husky in the dirt or I hop on my Speed Triple.

Bottom line, there's really no bad bikes these days, we are all spoiled for choice and Charlie and Ewan have a lot to answer for
Yourself and Paul are spot on; insurance costs, speed traps, mpg, congestion, and tiered licences (which, tbh, I tend to agree with) have killed the former generation of 18-year old sports riders who would gravitate to the big 600 and 1000 class sportsbikes.

A good friend of mine, aged 49 and with 11-years of NCD, was recently refused insurance on his GSXR-1000. He was gobsmacked.

Plus a lot of older sportsbike riders I know have had friends killed. MSL this month says that deaths on rural corners are down 43%, but collisions with cars in cities are up.
IBA #40578

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #1512
ndeeka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
introduction

Hi Everybody.

I've been reading along in silence, but decided to join, makes it a bit more easy to follow everything.
And I've noticed I'm not the only Dutchmen here, so that takes away some bounderies as well.

Currently driving a Triumph Street Triple, last year I started to look around for a successor.
As I want to do more traveling on the bike, the Tiger 800 obviously came into view and a rented it for 2 days and I really liked it. Better to know sooner then later.

But then came the rumors.... something big is coming.... and BIG it is.

Last weekend I was able to see it live at the Motorexhibition at Utrecht and I am impressed.
What certainly didn't disappoint is the exhaust. The pictures didn't do it justice.
It's more 'petite' in real life and not the monstrosity I feared it was.

Will I buy one?
Before I take a decision, I will rent it for probably 2 days and drive, drive, drive to find out my personal experience.
But if it is as enjoyable as the Tiger800 then I will surely seal the deal (just need to do a bit more saving).

At least the video's/reviews so far look promissing.

Some new video's posted onYT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHGsjvyxIBQ (french - details on the bike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CpIjYBX_M (french - review with some driving)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVN3aWbw2a0 (just driving)

ndeeka screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 12:14 PM Reason: text corrections
ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #1513
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeeka View Post
Hi Everybody.

I've been reading along in silence, but decided to join, makes it a bit more easy to follow everything.
And I've noticed I'm not the only Dutchmen here, so that takes away some bounderies as well.

Currently driving a Triumph Street Triple, last year I started to look around for a successor.
As I want to do more traveling on the bike, the Tiger 800 obviously came into view and a rented it for 2 days and I really liked it. Better to know sooner then later.

But then came the rumors.... something big is coming.... and BIG it is.

Last weekend I was able to see it live at the Motorexhibition at Utrecht and I am impressed.
What certainly didn't disappoint is the exhaust. The pictures didn't do it justice.
It's more 'petite' in real life and not the monstrosity I feared it was.

Will I buy one?
Before I take a decision, I will rent it for probably 2 days and drive, drive, drive to find out my personal experience.
But if it is as enjoyable as the Tiger800 then I will surely seal the deal (just need to do a bit more saving).

At least the video's/reviews so far look promissing.

Some new video's posted onYT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHGsjvyxIBQ (french - details on the bike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CpIjYBX_M (french - review with some driving)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVN3aWbw2a0 (just driving)
Hello and welcome.

Since the Dutch are, on average, the tallest nation in Europe, I think you will love the T1200
IBA #40578

Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1514
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I think my countryman from Rotterdam must be very small for a Dutchy to consider the Tiger Adventurer being a big bike...

Perhaps he did smoke something illegal - even for Dutch standards...?

Got a call from Triumph today. Test ride promised within 2 weeks from now.

6-9 June 2014: 16th Varadero & 3rd Crosstourer International Meeting, GEIRANGER, NORWAY!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #1515
ndeeka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Hello and welcome.

Since the Dutch are, on average, the tallest nation in Europe, I think you will love the T1200
Thanks.

T1200.... you make it sound like a Terminator.

Actually, it's a close call.
Check out the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_uPTHGh_T8

Enjoy your day!
Eventhough the Internet has eliminated distances it cannot solve the time diffference. For me it's time to go to bed.
ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote