Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #1516
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeeka View Post
Thanks.

T1200.... you make it sound like a Terminator.

Actually, it's a close call.
Check out the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_uPTHGh_T8

Enjoy your day!
Eventhough the Internet has eliminated distances it cannot solve the time diffference. For me it's time to go to bed.
Pretty Impressive knee clearance. Nothing like banging knees off the fairing/molding .
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1517
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Never understood why you come into these kinds of threads - I've seen you in a few.
Well what's the next bike going to be Mercury? After all the dust settles and the two year mark has come around.

Geez it could be a Tiger, (Almost bought the 800 Tiger based on owners experiences). or a Honda or ???

As long as the bike is reliable, it's in with a chance. and looking at all the offering available at the moment, none of them are bad.

We all seem to take the little niggles here and there and blow them out of all proportion. First world problems all of them.

I am not buying a bike on faith..
Some people might and that's good for some real world feedback.

Hell after 10 years I might even be convinced to look at BMW again.

I might have a friend who is a POM and is scared of dirt. An S10 would be a bit of a waste so a smooth as butter triple or V4 might be better.

But as I said before, a big fairing on a bike in the land of paved roads, drizzle and snow seems to make more sense than a naked for general duties. That is why I mentioned the other variant of this Tiger or the other variant of the GS.

Honda might even come out with a NonCross Touring version of the VFR.

My friend is always waiting for bad weather to mention how great it is behind the big RT fairing. He just tends to melt in hot weather though.

Maybe BMW will release a GS/RT with an electronic push button folding fairings. Sort of like the soft top mechanisms on cars. Combine it with the ABS off switch so as soon as you see dirt you revert to a GS style bike.

As far as sports bikes go, well the 1000cc class is getting a bit out of the real world and has for a while just as in the UK, you don't have much chance of keeping the license here in OZ on the good roads. In the vast expanses out in the middle though you could. Just that the RRRace bikes don't like the crap roads much. BUT the testosterone charged boys just can't resist being top dog on the block, even if it's only on paper.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 05:55 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #1518
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Don't know if this was already posted on here, and too lazy to search 101 pages...

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...ide-review.htm
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #1519
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
I like what I'm reading so far on these differant reviews but still can't wait until actual buyers start receiving and riding this bike .

Dave, I could be wrong but didn't you just purchase a Vee not to long ago? Are you one who switches up on bikes fairely often or did you just find a deal you could'nt refuse on a S10 ?

Just curious, I tend to try and keep my bikes for a long time ( I believe 6 years is the shortest time I've ever kept a bike and still have one thats 31 yrs old) as I hate putting money in a bike and than sell it at a lose to get something else.

Had the Vee since it was new in '05 (yeah time flies). I always have an eye out for the next one and it's taken this long to get seriously excited about anything, and I have a choice between two! How cool is that. Long story short on the Tenere, I had a deposit on an Explorer and then test rode a Tenere just for kicks and fell in love with it. Not often anymore that I feel that way right out of the box, and I just can't ignore that. I even tried to justify why I should wait for the Explorer and the arguments came up short. Gotta follow my heart on this one, and so far it's far more than the sum of its parts.

That being said I'm still really interested in the Explorer, which is why I'm still following the latest on it. If I have to have it, I'll take a loss on the Yamaha and get one, that was the gamble I took, but I think an educated one.

I could be wrong, but I think these bikes are different enough that one won't be "better" just different. After all of the early gushing reviews are over, I'll get a chance to ride one and see what I think.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #1520
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Wow, I must of been asleep in a time capsule or got lost in a time warp I didn't realize you had the Vee since 05.

Your right I don't think anybody can go wrong with any of the bikes out there, now its just a personal preference of which one to choose.

Seen a picture of your black S10 looks really nice with the Jesse bags, always liked the looks of that bike but feel the seat height may be to tall for me. Congrats nice ride
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #1521
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Yup. Agreed on all points.
I should add that MCN - UK, have a big piece on the new Explorer tomorrow - and a spy shot of a heavily updated Tiger 1050, which they have christened the Tiger Sport. Hinckley are most certainly on a roll..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-february-29/
Did anyone run out and buy this mag yet?????
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #1522
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Did anyone run out and buy this mag yet?????
In short it says its a fantastic road bike, okay on gravel but not for off road use. To much power.

Better than the BMW, but it's not a BMW (thank god for that) because it has 30yrs under it belt.

They did also say expect one with a bigger tank and wire wheels

To quote MCN

Triumph is faster, more powerful,comfier and better equipped than the GS. Cheaper and has more precise handling too, But it's not all over for the BMW yet. 5 stars out of 5
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #1523
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,370
Posted today:

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #1524
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
I bought the flavor of the month bike, Tiger XC, after extensive reading and a short test ride from the triumph truck. No regrets, get what you like if it appeals and you will be happy.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #1525
MooMoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I must say I am liking it more and more. Hopefully, they will have a demo in Daytona for Bike Week which starts next weekend.
MooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1526
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
The XC is a little heavy for dual sporting, however there are some Aussies that are pushing the bike in DS conditions.
Yup .... I know there are some Aussies really pushing it in the DS category.

In fact there are some peeps in my neck of the woods that are totally using the XC for dual sporting, on fairly decent F.S. Roads. Lion BR is one of them, and the type of terrain he uses his on is exactly what I'd be riding on when I eventually get mine. I've stated this in the older XC thread, that the bike would be in the middle niche with what I have. You can comfortably ride the pavement to get to some "decent - mild" dirt and take it off road.

Whereas my 640a - which I love off roading with, breaks my ass riding it on the pavement.

Last - the XC weights less than my 900i, and my Africa Twin (when I owned it) and the XC is around 100 lbs lighter than the AT, and I took the AT off road. Sometimes I wound up on single track, etc, that I didn't plan on ... and the AT handled it. So I look at the fact that the bike has newer technology, USD forks, and is lighter than what I'm used to for a large dual sport bike.

That's my .02 cents anyways .......

Oh - and I'd be selling my 900i, when I'm at the point to procure an XC. I would see no reason to have both of them .......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #1527
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert the tigger View Post
In short it says its a fantastic road bike, okay on gravel but not for off road use. To much power.

Better than the BMW, but it's not a BMW (thank god for that) because it has 30yrs under it belt.

They did also say expect one with a bigger tank and wire wheels

To quote MCN

Triumph is faster, more powerful,comfier and better equipped than the GS. Cheaper and has more precise handling too, But it's not all over for the BMW yet. 5 stars out of 5
Like most everyone else, I will not purchase until after a test ride. BUT, from what I see and nothing unexpected pops up I'll buy the "Adventure" model as soon as it hit's the store.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #1528
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert the tigger View Post

So what?

What is that supposed to mean for a buyer?

Go and buy a second rate bike because they have being making them for 30 years?

Or is it just a way of saying that there are little things that make the BMW more well rounded?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #1529
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Posted today:

"Triumph's first attempt at a big adventure bike"...i guess the previous Tigers don't count

I like it.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #1530
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
I must say I am liking it more and more. Hopefully, they will have a demo in Daytona for Bike Week which starts next weekend.

Triumph reps at the show in Charlotte said "no demo bikes in Daytona this year."

Bummer - Looks like we will have to ride the Super Tenere. Triumph better hope we don't fall in love with the Tenere in their absence.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote