ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #1546
Portchy
Long in the tooth
 
Portchy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Hampetorp, Sweden
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Apparently the wire spokes issue came at the other end of the bike's parameters - Triumph were not sure they could cope with the speeds the bike is capable of, on road. So I guess they have some engineering to do before they release a bigger ADV version.
Is the Explorer that much faster than an S10 or GSA?
__________________
On a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha...

95 Steamer
KMZ K-750 hack
KMZ K-750 hack
Portchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #1547
ndeeka
Adventurer
 
ndeeka's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portchy View Post
I have seen wire wheels mentioned earlier in the thread. Does anyone know, or heard a rumour, about the Explorer having the possibility of wire spokes? I am truly not a fan of alloy wheels. I worry, (maybe unnecessarily) that they are the weak point when putting a big beast like this off road. Just one of my idiosyncrasies but I figure after 35+ years riding I ain't gonna change now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Apparently the wire spokes issue came at the other end of the bike's parameters - Triumph were not sure they could cope with the speeds the bike is capable of, on road. So I guess they have some engineering to do before they release a bigger ADV version.
For what it's worth... I posted this last october on a dutch forum (so not exactly fresh information).


"It is unclear at the moment if more dirt oriented spoked rims will be available as an option on the Tiger Explorer."

from: http://www.mcnews.com.au/2012_Bikes/...orer_Intro.htm
ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #1548
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portchy View Post
Is the Explorer that much faster than an S10 or GSA?
Yes. 135bhp is good for about 140mph on the bike, afaik. I can't remember from the blurb whether the top speed is limited electronically.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #1549
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I don't think Kenny's bike carried a warranty.
Or the chance of a waaambulance + lawsuit.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #1550
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portchy View Post
I have seen wire wheels mentioned earlier in the thread. Does anyone know, or heard a rumour, about the Explorer having the possibility of wire spokes? I am truly not a fan of alloy wheels. I worry, (maybe unnecessarily) that they are the weak point when putting a big beast like this off road. Just one of my idiosyncrasies but I figure after 35+ years riding I ain't gonna change now.
I wouldn't worry about the off road performance..
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #1551
Portchy
Long in the tooth
 
Portchy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Hampetorp, Sweden
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I wouldn't worry about the off road performance..
At this point I am probably the real weak point in the system off road
__________________
On a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha...

95 Steamer
KMZ K-750 hack
KMZ K-750 hack
Portchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #1552
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I wouldn't worry about the off road performance..
True for me. To me, "off road" means not only off pavement, but off gravel, off dirt road, off two-track.

If I had an Explorer it would only see true off road if I made some sort of navigation error.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #1553
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Yes. 135bhp is good for about 140mph on the bike, afaik. I can't remember from the blurb whether the top speed is limited electronically.
According to the VisorDown review, top speed is e-limited to 220kmh (approx. 137mph) for "hard-luggage stability issues".

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #1554
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
According to the VisorDown review, top speed is e-limited to 220kmh (approx. 137mph) for "hard-luggage stability issues".

-SM


You probably know this, but you can get some weird handling issues at speed if you load a bike too high and too far back.

I have one of the last very large top cases that Al Jesse made, and I had to beg and plead with him to get it. They were meant to be placed over the passenger portion of an R1100GS or R1150GS but he had too many people mount them too far back and get into some sticky wobbles, so he took them off the market.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #1555
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
According to the VisorDown review, top speed is e-limited to 220kmh (approx. 137mph) for "hard-luggage stability issues".

-SM
Well, there ya go. Triumph have made a luggage system that isn't designed to give at high speed (there is some in-built flex).

But, for everyone gagging for spoked wheels, there will be a numpty doing 137mph flat-out, fully-loaded, crashes, and blames the spokes.

So Triumph, for now, fit the cast wheels only.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #1556
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Well, there ya go. Triumph have made a luggage system that isn't designed to give at high speed (there is some in-built flex).

But, for everyone gagging for spoked wheels, there will be a numpty doing 137mph flat-out, fully-loaded, crashes, and blames the spokes.

The "good news" is said numpty won't survive the crash....so nothing to complain about really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
So Triumph, for now, fit the cast wheels only.

Then what's this "Trophy" version I keep hearing about.....spokes, crash bars, etc......

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #1557
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Give me a heads up when you get ready.
Seriously? I'll be ready in the next few weeks, and give you a damn good deal on it.

I just need to replace the battery in the Capo, and make sure everything else is fine on the bike - the Capo that is. The Tiger is totally in perfect running order, eh.

I'll shoot ya a PM in a few moments.

Oh, besides that .......

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #1558
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The "good news" is said numpty won't survive the crash....so nothing to complain about really.





Then what's this "Trophy" version I keep hearing about.....spokes, crash bars, etc......

-SM
Trophy is a tourer - big screen, full fairing road bike. Won't be with spokes.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #1559
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: SE Texas
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
'A shaft drive delivers the power via a single-sided swingarm which will reduce output in the neighborhood of 15-20%.'
Reduce output? Surely that's not the gear losses. Must be the ratio.
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #1560
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefield View Post
'A shaft drive delivers the power via a single-sided swingarm which will reduce output in the neighborhood of 15-20%.'
Reduce output? Surely that's not the gear losses. Must be the ratio.
nope, a shaft drive is only about 80% efficient - think chain is 90%
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014