View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #1621
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
It is fair to say that I was more than a little excited as I approached the neatly organized line of thirty brand new shiny Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorers glistening in the morning sun of southern Spain. The various press reviews I had read had all been very positive and I was keen to see just how good it really is. Although there was not a cloud in the sky the temperature was still a little nippy at just 6 degrees C, so I promptly selected a bike with heated grips fitted as I only had my summer gloves with me and I am basically a wimp when it comes to riding with cold hands.

The first major thing that hit me when I sat on the bike and lifted it off the side stand was how incredibly light it felt. The official weight figures for the Explorer claim it is some thirty kilos heavier than the BMW R1200GS which is the benchmark bike in this class, a bike which I have ridden many times and always feels heavy when you lift it off the side stand. With this in mind I was expecting the Explorer with it’s extra weight to feel heavier, however Triumph have clearly given this matter serious consideration and have created a very well balanced bike that is easy to lift off the side stand and carries it’s weight very well indeed. This became even more evident as I wheeled the bike backwards out of the line up and eased it onto the centre stand with very little effort.

As I pressed the starter button I was met with the unmistakable growl of a Triumph triple, which quickly turns into a pleasing yet inoffensive snarl as the revs rise. Even from cold the engine feels crisp and responsive and the bike feels instantly familiar: you know you’re sitting on a Triumph.

The first part of our route took in several miles of motorway so I decided to have a play with the cruise control, which is fitted as standard on the Explorer. The operation is really quite simple: you must be in fourth gear or higher, press the cruise control switch (I switched it on before starting the ride and just left it on standby), then when you want to use it just press and hold the ‘Set’ button on the right switchgear for a couple of seconds and it’s on. You can then adjust the desired speed easily by pressing the ‘up’ or ‘down’ buttons. Coming off cruise control is also simple, either touch the brake, pull the clutch lever or rotate the throttle twist grip forward as far as it will go.

Soon we left the motorway and headed into the mountains onto twistier roads and I was quickly surprised by just how well the Explorer handles. It is remarkably planted through the corners and changes direction effortlessly even at speed. On several occasions I encountered significant bumps mid corner which where no problem for the bike, and on one particular corner there was a speed bump which I hit at over sixty mph whilst still leaning slightly, this I expected to be messy, but again the suspension dealt with it with minimal fuss.

At one point I slowed the Explorer down to under 2000RPM in sixth gear and fully opened the throttle to see how the engine responded. The result was no juddering, just smooth acceleration which grew with the revs, this is due to the massive amount of torque and the ride by wire throttle; the engine does not bog down or over fuel, it just pulls cleanly.
On the outbound journey I had set the seat in it’s lowest position, which although not uncomfortable, I found a little too low for my 6’2” frame, so for the return journey I raised it to the higher position which I found suited me better. Overall I found the upright riding position and spacious layout to be very comfortable and at no point during the two and a half hours that I was riding did I feel uncomfortable in any way. During the ride I left the adjustable screen in it’s standard position which offered more than adequate protection from the wind, with very little buffeting.

On reflection when I arrived back at our hotel it was easy to see why the press are raving so much about the Explorer; it is a very versatile all round bike, the riding position is natural and very comfortable with good wind protection, the chassis is extremely well balanced meaning it is easy to maneuver both when riding and when parking / pushing and the engine is absolutely superb with lots of torque and smooth, useable power throughout the rev range. The gearbox is slick and the controls are intuitive and fall easily to hand. As for the total riding experience, the Explorer is very hard not to like; it is equally competent cruising down a motorway as it is on twisty roads, and when ridden hard it delivers in every aspect.

I had big expectations for the Explorer and I am pleased to say that they were easily surpassed. I cannot wait to get on our demonstrator.
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #1622
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It is fair to say that I was more than a little excited ...
Thanks for that.
Another good review.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #1623
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeeka View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.
I was already planning a visit to the local Triumphdealer after work, to drool over his stock.
Glad to read that visit won't be for nothing.

I will have a look at the mags as well.
My dealer (Mport Rotterdam) has a black Explorer on display.
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #1624
bogman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Confused here, I read Bryn1203's post in the previous page and now DAKEZ posts the exact same thing, is this review sales pitch or a real life experience, when I first read DAKEZ's post I was delighted but that changed soon as I went back a page on the thread
bogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #1625
ndeeka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
My dealer (Mport Rotterdam) has a black Explorer on display.
Then this must look familiar...

photo1

photo2

photo3

photo4

photo5

photo6

At first I didn't even see it eventhough it's located at the entrance, but behind another motorcycle (visible on photo nr.4).
I expected it to be in the Triumphcorner, hence my initial disappointment to only find a cardboard Explorer (photo nr. 1).
The black whathamacallit finishing on the left heelplate (photo 2 & 6) is missing. And the tank seems to be bulkier on the one seen by me at the Dutch Utrecht motorexhibition.
But that it's due to the angle in which the photo was taken in combination with poor lighting. Or perhaps black isn't the right color for it.

Is the driveshaft (photo 6) to big? You may all judge for yourself.

I'll drop by my own dealer trying to find out more, which will probably be next saturday.

edit: Truth be told, putting it near the entrance is however the perfect location to role it out to give it a spin!

Intermot 2012 Videos
Intermot 2012 Photos

ndeeka screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 10:00 AM
ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #1626
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 757
It's their demo so you can take it out when my 800 goes in for service next week or so I will go for a little testride with the 1200
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #1627
ndeeka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
It's their demo so you can take it out when my 800 goes in for service next week or so I will go for a little testride with the 1200
Nice.
Please report back, here or at MF, doesn't matter for me.

Actually... I might do the same, the engine needs to be broken in anyway.

Intermot 2012 Videos
Intermot 2012 Photos

ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #1628
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
I'm really impressed how they cleaned up the motor its just clean looking compared to my 03 S3 which has hoses running everywhere on the outside.

The black and grey they used also looks good compared to a solid black motor,I can only imagine how this engine must run .My 955i had plenty of power and never had one hicup in the 8 years I owned it, much better than my wifes 885 in her 97 (T509) so much smoother.

This bike is gonna be like riding a raped ape
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #1629
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #1630
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,360
Has the centerstand recall for this bike been announced yet?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #1631
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
I'm really impressed how they cleaned up the motor its just clean looking compared to my 03 S3 which has hoses running everywhere on the outside.

The black and grey they used also looks good compared to a solid black motor,I can only imagine how this engine must run .My 955i had plenty of power and never had one hicup in the 8 years I owned it, much better than my wifes 885 in her 97 (T509) so much smoother.

Wait 'till the tuners get it figured out (and lets hope it's Tuneboy/TuneEdit friendly). Really, it's a rather modest HP and TQ gain compared to the latest 1050 mill, less than you'd expect out of a 165cc bump...it's under-stressed and tuned for emissions/noise, there's a lot of room for improvement there.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #1632
MrTiger
Tiger Racing Division

Oddometer: 9
Here you could found my report of triumph explorer press launch in Granada, hope you enjoy it

http://www.mrtigerontheroad.com/?p=397
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #1633
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTiger View Post
Here you could found my report of triumph explorer press launch in Granada, hope you enjoy it

That's the best review I've seen so far in terms of outlining features. Thanks!
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #1634
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTiger View Post

Thanks for the report, very nice!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #1635
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Sounds nice and bassy when having the piss flogged out of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7rY...layer_embedded
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote