ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1681
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Tell me about it! I live 20 miles from the Canadian border, and I've ridden to work every day this week (and have had to open the jacket vents on the way home). And rode about 350 miles this past weekend. And man, was I ever glad to be on the Tiger -- due to all the freeze-thaw cycles this winter and already-bad roads, the roads are now so shockingly bad that some of them are actually almost comical, so the XC's suspension got a serious workout.

--mark
Hi Mark,

The Adirondacks aren't much better, especially the shady sections of the roads. Still, I will always remember going south down route 100 in Vermont up near Mad River and seeing grass growing up through the cracks in the blacktop! It was difficult to stay in one of the two ruts that truck traffic had sunken into the road, or try to perch on the ridge in between. I don't wonder you Vermont types find dirt riding so easy!
I think the 800XC would be nearly perfect for the Adirondacks, but that 1200 would be nice two up for cross country.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #1682
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels
 
GaelicDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
edit: March 22nd, tomorrow. I'll take a camera.
Take the camera and TAKE a RIDE!!!!! Report back,
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #1683
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Paulvt1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Wolverhampton. England.
Oddometer: 3,552
For those that don't fancy waiting (in the UK)..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Trium...ht_1581wt_1218
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #1684
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
For those that don't fancy waiting (in the UK)..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Trium...ht_1581wt_1218
Handy it being in Leicestershire. :)
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #1685
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
For those that don't fancy waiting (in the UK)..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Trium...ht_1581wt_1218
That looks like the 'launch bike'? I was told today that they made 700 and almost all are sold. The sales-guy also said pre-orders, worldwide, are accouting for 40% of the 6,000 production run.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #1686
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Take the camera and TAKE a RIDE!!!!! Report back,
They were only taking bookings for test rides, but did show off a Graphie Grey one. There was a blue one round the back, I assumed it was being prepped as the demo bike. Nice evening, about 60-70 bikers turned out of all kinds (in fact I was kinda suprised at the demographic, or lack thereof).

Wine, cake, and sammiches, and some nifty plasma screens to customise your T1200.

A few random pics:










__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #1687
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Jealous of the UK based Inmates today... Stopped by my dealer hoping but nada! Hope you guys are having fun and it's living up to expectations!
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #1688
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Jealous of the UK based Inmates today... Stopped by my dealer hoping but nada! Hope you guys are having fun and it's living up to expectations!
The dealership owner gave a little speech and seemed genuinely excited. He said that although the marketing was lining this up against the 1200GS, he said after riding it that he would line it up against not only the ADV tourers but also the likes of the Kawasaki GTR and Honda ST/CBF1000.

I guess he would say that, but they were also pushing the virtues of ABS, TC, and cruise control as standard.

Btw, the options and accessories were huge; you could rack up 2,000 without even blinking.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #1689
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
So has an actual Inmate actually gotten to throw their own leg over one and take it for a ride yet?
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #1690
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
So has an actual Inmate actually gotten to throw their own leg over one and take it for a ride yet?
Go here and you'll find quite a few people have. One of them was a very good report detailing things they liked and things they didn't like.
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #1691
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Go here and you'll find quite a few people have. One of them was a very good report detailing things they liked and things they didn't like.
Thanks, I forgot about that site. Those aren't Inmates but they will do!
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #1692
DesertStrom
Adventurer
 
DesertStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
So has an actual Inmate actually gotten to throw their own leg over one and take it for a ride yet?
Not sure if I'm considered as an inmate, but I did my ride on the Explorer the other day.

Before I went, I checked the specs and was a bit worried about the weight being a bit high. However I was pleasantly surprised. It's an extremely easy bike to handle, easier than the F800GS I have right now. In fact you can't do anything wrong with it. Even riding it slowly (<10 km/h) on the unpaved, it handles very smooth and natural. Perhaps it helps that the first 3 gears are limited to avoid mistakes. The gear-box itself, smooth and silent. No loud "klacks" when changing gears.

On the road opened the throttle and let it go to about 200 km/h. Speaking about the kick in the butt experience. I bet this bike will cost some driving licenses in the future.
But, still stable, no issues, smooth as silk. Had the higher touring-screen on and no buffeting at all.

The brakes: tested those as well of course. To me it seems that the ABS kicks in a little too early, but that's all, further no issues.

Throttle response: read some stories about the ride-by-wire being too sensitive, but for me it was spot on. Perhaps because I am used to the snatchy-throttle F800.

Display: I assume I have to get used to that. It looks a bit chaotic, there is a lot of info available, but especially for somebody who's new to Triumph, it requires a lot of searching

Looks: Guess that's a matter of taste, but I'm quite happy with the overall looks, except for 1 thing. Those fog-lights are ugly. Should be replaced by small PIAA's or Rigids in my opinion.

The only disadvantage for myself will be the small tank, forcing me to fill up about every 300 km.

Overall impression on a scale from 1-10, it would be 8.5.
(sorry about the pic, but I've got a very old phone that I normally use to make phone-calls, hardly take pictures with it)

DesertStrom screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 05:34 PM
DesertStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #1693
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStrom View Post
Not sure if I'm considered as an inmate, but I did my ride on the Explorer the other day.

Before I went, I checked the specs and was a bit worried about the weight being a bit high. However I was pleasantly surprised. It's an extremely easy bike to handle, easier than the F800GS I have right now. In fact you can't do anything wrong with it. Even riding it slowly (<10 km/h) on the unpaved, it handles very smooth and natural. Perhaps it helps that the first 3 gears are limited to avoid mistakes. The gear-box itself, smooth and silent. No loud "klacks" when changing gears.

On the road opened the throttle and let it go to about 200 km/h. Speaking about the kick in the butt experience. I bet this bike will cost some driving licenses in the future.
But, still stable, no issues, smooth as silk. Had the higher touring-screen on and no buffeting at all.

The brakes: tested those as well of course. To me it seems that the ABS kicks in a little too early, but that's all, further no issues.

Throttle response: read some stories about the ride-by-wire being too sensitive, but for me it was spot on. Perhaps because I am used to the snatchy-throttle F800.

Display: I assume I have to get used to that. It looks a bit chaotic, there is a lot of info available, but especially for somebody who's new to Triumph, it requires a lot of searching

Looks: Guess that's a matter of taste, but I'm quite happy withe the overall looks, except for 1 thing. Those fog-lights are ugly. Should be replaced by small PIAA's or Rigids in my opinion.

The only disadvantage for myself will be the small tank, forcing me to fill up about every 300 km.

Overall impression on a scale from 1-10, it would be 8.5.
We are all Inmates on here, so yes you count!

Thanks for the info, I only trust the media reviews to a certain point as they are basically on a manufacturer paid vacation to review the bike. I am number 1 on the local dealer's deposit list and am still on the fence. Range is my big issue right now but otherwise it sounds like a real winner.
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #1694
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStrom View Post
Not sure if I'm considered as an inmate, but I did my ride on the Explorer the other day.

Before I went, I checked the specs and was a bit worried about the weight being a bit high. However I was pleasantly surprised. It's an extremely easy bike to handle, easier than the F800GS I have right now. In fact you can't do anything wrong with it. Even riding it slowly (<10 km/h) on the unpaved, it handles very smooth and natural. Perhaps it helps that the first 3 gears are limited to avoid mistakes. The gear-box itself, smooth and silent. No loud "klacks" when changing gears.

On the road opened the throttle and let it go to about 200 km/h. Speaking about the kick in the butt experience. I bet this bike will cost some driving licenses in the future.
But, still stable, no issues, smooth as silk. Had the higher touring-screen on and no buffeting at all.

The brakes: tested those as well of course. To me it seems that the ABS kicks in a little too early, but that's all, further no issues.

Throttle response: read some stories about the ride-by-wire being too sensitive, but for me it was spot on. Perhaps because I am used to the snatchy-throttle F800.

Display: I assume I have to get used to that. It looks a bit chaotic, there is a lot of info available, but especially for somebody who's new to Triumph, it requires a lot of searching

Looks: Guess that's a matter of taste, but I'm quite happy with the overall looks, except for 1 thing. Those fog-lights are ugly. Should be replaced by small PIAA's or Rigids in my opinion.

The only disadvantage for myself will be the small tank, forcing me to fill up about every 300 km.

Overall impression on a scale from 1-10, it would be 8.5.
(sorry about the pic, but I've got a very old phone that I normally use to make phone-calls, hardly take pictures with it)
Very well done report. Balanced and fair. It's good you told us about the bike you're riding now. (BMW F800GS). I've heard comments about the brakes. I figure ABS can be adjusted but for overall power, Triumph IMO, should have gone with radial mount caliper like the Tiger 1050. On a 600 lbs. plus bike ... never to much brake power.

Thanks so much for posting!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1695
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStrom View Post
Not sure if I'm considered as an inmate, but I did my ride on the Explorer the other day.

Before I went, I checked the specs and was a bit worried about the weight being a bit high. However I was pleasantly surprised. It's an extremely easy bike to handle, easier than the F800GS I have right now. In fact you can't do anything wrong with it. Even riding it slowly (<10 km/h) on the unpaved, it handles very smooth and natural. Perhaps it helps that the first 3 gears are limited to avoid mistakes. The gear-box itself, smooth and silent. No loud "klacks" when changing gears.
As others have said, thank you for the "real world" report.

Can you say a bit more about the highlighted part above? The F800GS, 990ADV, and T1200 are all on my short list of "more off road than on road" next bikes, and I never would have guessed a bike weighing nearly 150lbs more than the F8GS would be "easier" to handle.

Thanks!

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015