ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #1816
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
any criticism apart from "heavy" ?
Not really. He's just full of these off-handed slaps throughout the review. "Not flickable". "Chassis and suspension prove competent". "Emphasizes 'Touring' not 'Adventure'". On and on it goes.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #1817
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
"Not flickable". "Chassis and suspension prove competent". "Emphasizes 'Touring' not 'Adventure'".
Sounds like an ex-girlfriend from long ago ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #1818
ndeeka
Adventurer
 
ndeeka's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Oddometer: 10
Hi all,

Been a while.
I've a lot of catching up to do with regard to reading.

Was at my dealer today for a minor repair job on my Street Triple.
Spoke about the Explorer of course. He has sold 14 already since the launch 3 weeks ago (and he isn't even a very big dealer with regard to showroom size). I find that quite impressive.

As for me, no chance to ride it yet.
But the Street is up for it 30.000 km service-interval, so we will arrange a testdrive at the same day.

I will have to remember to take my newly purchased GoPro-camera with me to film the whole experience.
__________________
I also brake for fun.

Intermot 2012 Videos
Intermot 2012 Photos

ndeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1819
CravenMoorhead
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Just got my new Cycle World. I haven't read Steve Anderson's review of the Tiger Explorer yet. Any comments by those who have read it?
Bizarre that they mention everyother possible stat except its weight and then sum things up as an acceptable, albeit heavy, GS competitior...
CravenMoorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #1820
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please
 
SkiFastBadly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Oddometer: 1,528
Read the report last night. What I read between the lines was "Look, this thing is aimed right at the GS and does a damn fine job but seriously, both bikes are essentially touring bikes." He did mention he didn't get any real time on the dirt and that report will have to wait. What I'm really looking for is a comparo with the GS and the other usual suspects.
__________________
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #1821
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Read the report last night. What I read between the lines was "Look, this thing is aimed right at the GS and does a damn fine job but seriously, both bikes are essentially touring bikes." He did mention he didn't get any real time on the dirt and that report will have to wait. What I'm really looking for is a comparo with the GS and the other usual suspects.
MCN in the UK is printing their comparo tomorrow. Hopefully someone in the UK will scan it and we can ALL read it. NOt sure how much if any will be offroad but if we expect the KTM to be in there then they will have to do some.
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1822
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Northwest PA
Oddometer: 184
Alan Cathcart's report in the new Cycle News.

The Cycle World review says pretty much the same thing in fewer words.
__________________
2007 R1200GS
Member in good standing, Mud and Blood Race Team: Annoying the Neighbors Since 1973
mtbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #1823
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
agreed!

I just wonder why no company is making big plastic bubble tanks for the XT, as were available 30 years ago for the XT500...
Perhaps a second reason is the problem some plastic blends have with the ethanol being blended so generously in our fuel?

The reviews are all interesting reading, but I do get sick of re-reading the same talking points in nearly every magazine. Nothing really new to discuss until a bunch of folks have ridden them for a while and can provide some real world feedback, just like the 800 and 800XC experience a year ago. For me, I'll just keep reading and dreaming for now...
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #1824
Echo3Niner
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 99
I wish they'd a taken a shot at the Multistrada, instead of the GS... I'd love a Trumpet Multistrada fighter....
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #1825
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
I wish they'd a taken a shot at the Multistrada, instead of the GS... I'd love a Trumpet Multistrada fighter....
I believe they are doing just that with an upcoming version of the Tiger 1050.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #1826
Bundu
===============
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post
Alan Cathcart's report in the new Cycle News.

The Cycle World review says pretty much the same thing in fewer words.
thanks for that!

Has anybody seen the video referred to in the above article?
"The tests he speaks of involved
an Explorer being jumped off a
15-foot ramp onto a flat tarmac,
and a video in circulation shows it
surviving both a front-wheel landing,
and a rear wheel one. “Our
competitors don’t do so well in
that test,” said Warburton."
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #1827
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,265
9 page group-test in MCN (UK) today, the T1200 rated against:

KTM 990
Yamaha S10
Ducati MS1200
BMW 1200GS Rallye
Honda XTourer
Kawasaki V1000
MG Stelvio NTX

They mark each bikes out of 10 in 10 categories (I've listed the top scorer in each category) :

Comfort (XTourer)
Performance (MS1200)
Handling (MS1200)
Equipment (MS1200)
Off Road (990)
Manageability (MS1200)
Fun (MS1200)
Accessories (GS)
Build Quality (GS)
Value (V1000)

The Tiger, in fact, didn't win any of the 10 categories at all. However, when added up, the scores on the doors are:

81.1, Tiger
78.4, XTourer
76.3, MS1200
76.0, GS
73.4, S10
70.4, 990
70.3, V1000
63.1, NTX

Interestingly, this test rated the Tiger better off-road than the GS.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #1828
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
9 page group-test in MCN (UK) today, the T1200 rated against:

KTM 990
Yamaha S10
Ducati MS1200
BMW 1200GS Rallye
Honda XTourer
Kawasaki V1000
MG Stelvio NTX

They mark each bikes out of 10 in 10 categories (I've listed the top scorer in each category) :

Comfort (XTourer)
Performance (MS1200)
Handling (MS1200)
Equipment (MS1200)
Off Road (990)
Manageability (MS1200)
Fun (MS1200)
Accessories (GS)
Build Quality (GS)
Value (V1000)

The Tiger, in fact, didn't win any of the 10 categories at all. However, when added up, the scores on the doors are:

81.1, Tiger
78.4, XTourer
76.3, MS1200
76.0, GS
73.4, S10
70.4, 990
70.3, V1000
63.1, NTX

Interestingly, this test rated the Tiger better off-road than the GS.
You forgot to show the 30 points earned in each category by being assembled in the UK!!!
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #1829
JHa
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
You forgot to show the 30 points earned in each category by being assembled in the UK!!!
Really? What this has to do with categories like comfort, performance, handling etc.?
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #1830
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Paulvt1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Wolverhampton. England.
Oddometer: 3,544
After seeing the Honda Xtourer in the metal last week, i find it bewildering how the GS could come out top for build quality. I also like the way MCN never seem to worry about the 3 factors that would sway me to a purchase.
Service costs.
Fuel consumption
Backup.

I guess it's nice to not have to worry about reality.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015