Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #1906
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepski View Post

My next bike will be either a Tiger 800XC or the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
I was ready to put down a deposit on an 800XC but then I looked at the dealer locator and where I am likely to be stationed for the next 5-10 years. I didn't want to have to drive over an hour (usually two) to get to a dealer for the inevitable recall or the more serious services that I am not comfortable doing my self. So I got the Tenere (Yami dealers are everywhere) and haven't looked back.

Drew

ETA. I'm not saying that Triumph makes a bad bike that will be recalled. I think I am just being realistic when it comes to a new model by ANY manufacturer.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #1907
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
So, it looks like between 150-175 miles to a tank. Not good. Hell, my Buell 1125CR would do that or better,,, matter of fact alot of sportbikes get that sorta range. Even a Buell Ully gave that or better. My DL regularly goes 200 miles or better when not even trying to get good mileage and even when flogging it hard it still returns better than 180 miles between fill ups. I know this is like beating a dead horse but if the above reports are true, it looks like the Explorer will be off the list unless Triumph sees fit to make a more "adv type" model with a larger tank because a 200 mile range should be the absolute minimum for this type of bike and 250 mile range more like it. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm disappointed that it originally had a much larger tank but stupidity won out.

Just my opinion and I'm sure many will chime in and say that 150-175 miles is plenty and if it floats your boat, hell I'm happy for you. I just won't be getting one and the bad is that it looks like everything I would want otherwise. Like I said, stupidity and form over function won out on a bike that should place function over form.
+1 Just left a voice mail for my dealer and if this is true, will be getting my deposit back. Explorer still has a chance if they bring out an adventure model with a bigger tank soon, otherwise when the water cooled GS gets here I'll be back on a Beemer. I have a Tiger 1050 now and every time I go camping I have to carry 2-3 gallons in jerry cans and am tired of it.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #1908
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post
Real-world fuel mileage will be much better than what is seen when a bunch of journalists all try to channel Valentino Rossi at a new-model launch.
The guys reporting on the other site are real world riders and sadly these are their numbers...

Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1909
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
+1 Just left a voice mail for my dealer and if this is true, will be getting my deposit back. Explorer still has a chance if they bring out an adventure model with a bigger tank soon, otherwise when the water cooled GS gets here I'll be back on a Beemer. I have a Tiger 1050 now and every time I go camping I have to carry 2-3 gallons in jerry cans and am tired of it.
Where do you go camping? Area 51? I've done several 5000 mile plus tours on my 1050 in very remote areas ... never needed extra fuel. I've gone 230 miles. I hope you don't believe your countdown computer! I've gone over 50 miles after countdown to Zero ... never ran out yet.

You enjoy that new GS-WC ... they need Beta Testers.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #1910
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,378
Not sure why you guys are surprised, Triumph are not known for making real fuel efficient bikes. Sounds like you both will be riding this...

"Honda claims the NC700’s 3.7-gallon tank will net a range of “nearly” 240 miles. That’s more than 64 mpg by our remedial math reckoning."
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #1911
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Not sure why you guys are surprised, Triumph are not known for making real fuel efficient bikes. Sounds like you both will be riding this...

"Honda claims the NC700’s 3.7-gallon tank will net a range of “nearly” 240 miles. That’s more than 64 mpg by our remedial math reckoning."

I guess if Triumph limited their bike to 6500rpm and plugged up one cylinder to equal what's in the Honda, they might come close to 64mpg....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1912
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Where do you go camping? Area 51? I've done several 5000 mile plus tours on my 1050 in very remote areas ... never needed extra fuel. I've gone 230 miles. I hope you don't believe your countdown computer! I've gone over 50 miles after countdown to Zero ... never ran out yet.

You enjoy that new GS-WC ... they need Beta Testers.
My bike when the counter gets to zero it takes about 5 gallons to fill... And I ran it out at twice before it said zero.

1050 + 220lbs of me + 110lbs of girlfriend + camping gear = Nowhere near 230 mpt... A lot of the best places we find to camp have Mom and Pop service stations within range but after once having to spend 2 days camped on one of their forecourts while they were on vacation means I am not buying another sub 250 mpt (while 2up) again. My GSA managed about 280 mpt with all the same gear and an ex-girlfriend who was about 40 lbs heavier then the present one.

And no matter what I buy the 1050 is not going anywhere, it will continue on as my commuter bike.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #1913
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

Not 2up with camping gear it won't.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #1914
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
So, it looks like between 150-175 miles to a tank. Not good. Hell, my Buell 1125CR would do that or better,,, matter of fact alot of sportbikes get that sorta range. Even a Buell Ully gave that or better. My DL regularly goes 200 miles or better when not even trying to get good mileage and even when flogging it hard it still returns better than 180 miles between fill ups. I know this is like beating a dead horse but if the above reports are true, it looks like the Explorer will be off the list unless Triumph sees fit to make a more "adv type" model with a larger tank because a 200 mile range should be the absolute minimum for this type of bike and 250 mile range more like it. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm disappointed that it originally had a much larger tank but stupidity won out.

Just my opinion and I'm sure many will chime in and say that 150-175 miles is plenty and if it floats your boat, hell I'm happy for you. I just won't be getting one and the bad is that it looks like everything I would want otherwise. Like I said, stupidity and form over function won out on a bike that should place function over form.
Some riders are getting more than the 150-175 a tank but none of us can know for sure how they are riding.

Be patient and wait till more people have them and more data is gathered.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1915
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,294
There's a lot less variance in real-world range between the current crop of large adventure bikes than some of these threads would lead you to believe. People cherry-pick data to argue that a bike's range is long/short depending on their POV.

In reality, almost all the big adventure bikes get about 40-45 mpg (US) and have tanks with effective capacities in the 5.2-5.8 gallon range. So you need to be finding fuel every 175-225 miles, depending on lots of factors. Some may get better or worse mileage, but they're outliers. Some folks quote figures based on either faulty math or not enough data to average out the errors.

There is one major exception: the GSA. If you want truly and significantly longer range without carrying aux fuel, this is THE bike. Everybody else is more/less similar.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #1916
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
There is one major exception: the GSA. If you want truly and significantly longer range without carrying aux fuel, this is THE bike. Everybody else is more/less similar.

- Mark
As a former Guzzi rider, I have to take exception. The 2012 MG Stelvio NTX has an 8.5 gallon (32 liter) tank.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #1917
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
My GSA managed about 280 mpt with all the same gear and an ex-girlfriend who was about 40 lbs heavier then the present one.
And no matter what I buy the 1050 is not going anywhere, it will continue on as my commuter bike.
Well, at least you got a lighter weight girlfriend with the Tiger! BMW's do well on fuel, must admit it. I can't wait for the new GS! It's always fun to watch BMW try to re-invent the wheel again! ...
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #1918
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Some riders are getting more than the 150-175 a tank but none of us can know for sure how they are riding.

Be patient and wait till more people have them and more data is gathered.
I really hope you are right because by all accounts, this is a cool bike but like I said, I will not be buying it is it gets substaintailly less than 200 miles between fill ups. The thing that got me was that the link wasn't moto jornalists ragging ahrd on test bikes, it was posts from people that just got their bikes and usually, people that just recieved their new bikes are generally fairly easy on them resulting in better than normal mileage. To be fair, maybe the bikes are still breaking in and they will pick up a bit.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1919
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
To be fair, maybe the bikes are still breaking in and they will pick up a bit.
We have also seen quite same variance with new tunes coming out regularly for the 800s. It might be that Triumph is going the safe route of running richer than necessary to avoid stalling issues like with the 800s and over time release new maps that optimize consumption.

Right now, there isn't enough data to get any kind of impression on the actual real work mileage.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1920
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
I really hope you are right because by all accounts, this is a cool bike but like I said, I will not be buying it is it gets substaintailly less than 200 miles between fill ups. The thing that got me was that the link wasn't moto jornalists ragging ahrd on test bikes, it was posts from people that just got their bikes and usually, people that just recieved their new bikes are generally fairly easy on them resulting in better than normal mileage. To be fair, maybe the bikes are still breaking in and they will pick up a bit.
Fingers crossed, that you are correct and that there is an Explorer XC coming with wire rims and a 10 US Gallon tank! I would really prefer to stay with a Triumph but I need my longer range back.