Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #2011
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonwit View Post
Well, according to my dealer, Triumph USA dealers aren't going to give demos anymore, from a truck, or otherwise. He stated that they're going the way of the Japanese in this regard. It's pretty hard to get me to part with 15+ large, and if all I get to do is sit on it and maybe hear the engine run, it may be awhile before I see one in my garage. Hell, if I can't test ride it, I might as well wait and buy a used model. At least I can get my money back out if it doesn't "fit".
I guess they feel they'll have enough customers who don't care. I'm with you, there's no way I'm putting down that amount of cash without knowing what I'm paying for. That seems crazy to me. Maybe I need a job that pays more.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #2012
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Well, according to my dealer, Triumph USA dealers aren't going to give demos anymore, from a truck, or otherwise. He stated that they're going the way of the Japanese in this regard.
Well your dealer is either a liar or a fool. Triumph is still sending us demo bikes and even if they didn't we would still offer demos any time the roads are dry.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #2013
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN YC View Post
If you guys were not aware, Triumph north America got a new CEO last year. His previous experience includes working at Harley Davidson for 20 years. Word is that he wants to focus more on "lifestyle." (surprise, surprise)

So he has done away with the demo trucks (because actually riding the bikes might distract you). Not a fan of this guy, myself. I bought at least 1 triumph because I was able to demo it of the truck. Looks like that won't happen again.
You should NOT speak of things you know little about. He is a great guy and is going to do great things for Triumph.

Please post a source for your bullshit "Word is that he wants to focus more on "lifestyle.///(because actually riding the bikes might distract you)"

Or shut the hell up.

As for deposits. Unless it is for a special order there is no need for some "written declaration that the deposit was refundable SUBJECT TO A TEST RIDE!"

Just where do you come up with this stuff? A dealership can not keep a deposit written declaration or no... It is simply a first right of refusal. That is it,, nothing more. Don't want the bike? No worries. NEXT!!!

As always laws on this may vary from state to state.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 10:18 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #2014
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
My deposit was placed and the line signed with a written declaration that the deposit was refundable SUBJECT TO A TEST RIDE!

So we'll see how that pans out eh

I don't test, I don't buy. Don't care how much I like the bike.
Sometimes it takes a little leap of faith.

I bought my first FJR on the pre-order program. Bought the 2nd generation the same.
Never had even seen the real bike.

I didn't pre-order the Tenere because I thought I was done with big D/S bikes. Saw one
on the showroom floor, they let me start it and sit on it. From what I heard people liked
them so I bought it right then. From what I've read so far I wouldn't have any problem
doing the same with the big Triumph. Sounds like an impressive bike.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #2015
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
I've never test rode a bike before buying since I started in 1983, I don't see what the big hairy deal is with the test drive.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #2016
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
You obviously have too much money to burn on bikes you might not like.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2017
Bonwit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Well your dealer is either a liar or a fool. . .
Could be both, who knows? I'm just relaying what I was told. BTW, this is the same dealership that wouldn't make the deposit refundable.
Bonwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #2018
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You obviously have too much money to burn on bikes you might not like.
Or some of us are happy with any single/poly-cylindered engine between our legs and wind in our face.
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #2019
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
You should NOT speak of things you know little about. He is a great guy and is going to do great things for Triumph
Thanks for the current clarification on this. Good to hear from a genuine source. It would be sad if Triumph discontinued Demo rides. Demo's have worked well for BMW for years and I believe for Triumph as well. As I understand it Triumph help subsidize dealer demo bikes ... to some extent. Hope they can continue this policy.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #2020
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
I've never test rode a bike before buying since I started in 1983, I don't see what the big hairy deal is with the test drive.
A test ride isn't as big a deal as it used to be before the internet. Now, in a matter of weeks, months at the worst,,,,, you can read owners reports from owners,,,,, not jadded or paid for journalists. You can now read if many people are reporting about issues or say a tranny that just sucks due to ratio spacing or notchy action,,,,, or whatever.

But,,,,,,, a bike is a very personal thing to some. Some buy a bike as a tool for a job and will adapt to that tool's idiosyncrasies. But some look at bikes as more than simple, practical tools and for them, the bike must fit them in every way from ergonomics of the seat, pegs and handle bars to the way the exhaust fills the air to the way the switchgear feels/operates. To them, no amount of internet owner reports will accurately describe how it fits and makes them feel.

Question for you. Do you buy shoes without trying them on? If so, do you hike? Get what I'm getting at at now?

BTW,,,,,, I'm a form follows function sorta guy and I buy bikes as tools and at times I think those guys/girls that wax eloquently about how this bike "stirs the soul" or how this bike "just never stirred me" gibberish. I can see how a bike like a Ducati 916 or a Guzzi Griso can have such good looks or sound that you might forgive some of it's faults, especially if you have plenty of money and it's "Just fer lookin at". I can understand that but I can also buy and ride a Suzuki DL650 which is one hell of an ugly and boring bike and I wouldn't need any owner reports to tell me that but then again, I bought it used,,,,, cheap and damned near decided to sell it because I was so disappointed in it after a few hours or riding. Had I paid new money for it, I would have been even more disappointed. No way in hell I would plunk down 10-20K$ without a test ride and if manufacturers will not allow it and I can wrangle a ride from a friend,,,,,, the manufacturer would not get my money.

But, in my case,,,, none of that matters because I simply refuse to buy a new bike,,,,,, any new bike {with very few exceptions}. It makes absolutely no practical sense to me to lose all that money.

But I can uderstand those that do and I can easily understand those that do wanting a test ride.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #2021
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Me neither (and no, I 'aint rich). Why would you buy or not buy a bike solely on the basis of a 30 min or so test ride on a bike that is probably not even set up for you

There are many factors involved, for me at least, in buying a new bike so a test ride is not absolutely required.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #2022
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
You should NOT speak of things you know little about. He is a great guy and is going to do great things for Triumph.

Please post a source for your bullshit "Word is that he wants to focus more on "lifestyle.///(because actually riding the bikes might distract you)"

Or shut the hell up.

As for deposits. Unless it is for a special order there is no need for some "written declaration that the deposit was refundable SUBJECT TO A TEST RIDE!"

Just where do you come up with this stuff? A dealership can not keep a deposit written declaration or no... It is simply a first right of refusal. That is it,, nothing more. Don't want the bike? No worries. NEXT!!!

As always laws on this may vary from state to state.
My point was that I would remain first in line for the Explorer and that I would need to have a test ride before I would make a decision. There was never a question of the dealer keeping the deposit and I did not mean to give that impression in the post.

Why are there so many people on fora who lack civility; perhaps you could have said his dealer is mistaken rather than calling him "a liar and a fool".

I just don't get it

Triumph Explorer

moggi1964 screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 07:04 AM
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #2023
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
A test ride isn't as big a deal as it used to be before the internet. Now, in a matter of weeks, months at the worst,,,,, you can read owners reports from owners,,,,, not jadded or paid for journalists. You can now read if many people are reporting about issues or say a tranny that just sucks due to ratio spacing or notchy action,,,,, or whatever.

But,,,,,,, a bike is a very personal thing to some. Some buy a bike as a tool for a job and will adapt to that tool's idiosyncrasies. But some look at bikes as more than simple, practical tools and for them, the bike must fit them in every way from ergonomics of the seat, pegs and handle bars to the way the exhaust fills the air to the way the switchgear feels/operates. To them, no amount of internet owner reports will accurately describe how it fits and makes them feel.

Question for you. Do you buy shoes without trying them on? If so, do you hike? Get what I'm getting at at now?

BTW,,,,,, I'm a form follows function sorta guy and I buy bikes as tools and at times I think those guys/girls that wax eloquently about how this bike "stirs the soul" or how this bike "just never stirred me" gibberish. I can see how a bike like a Ducati 916 or a Guzzi Griso can have such good looks or sound that you might forgive some of it's faults, especially if you have plenty of money and it's "Just fer lookin at". I can understand that but I can also buy and ride a Suzuki DL650 which is one hell of an ugly and boring bike and I wouldn't need any owner reports to tell me that but then again, I bought it used,,,,, cheap and damned near decided to sell it because I was so disappointed in it after a few hours or riding. Had I paid new money for it, I would have been even more disappointed. No way in hell I would plunk down 10-20K$ without a test ride and if manufacturers will not allow it and I can wrangle a ride from a friend,,,,,, the manufacturer would not get my money.

But, in my case,,,, none of that matters because I simply refuse to buy a new bike,,,,,, any new bike {with very few exceptions}. It makes absolutely no practical sense to me to lose all that money.

But I can understand those that do and I can easily understand those that do wanting a test ride.
Jud, you hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

Up till now every bike I bought I did so without a test ride but I haven't ridden in 23 years. I want to make sure that the size and power and ergonomics of the Explorer are going to work for me and I should know in a couple of hours if it is JUST TOO MUCH or is something I can grow into.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #2024
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Well, according to my dealer, Triumph USA dealers aren't going to give demos anymore, from a truck, or otherwise. He stated that they're going the way of the Japanese in this regard.

If that's true, I wonder how long my dealer will continue to sell Triumphs. He already thinks they're idiots for not providing demo-specific bikes to US dealers when new models come out, as BMW does. He sold a lot of S1000RRs because BMW had sent him one allocated for demo use, and after riding it quite a few people signed for one immediately. I have to agree with him -- Triumph is missing an opportunity by not doing the same with bikes like the Explorer, especially at dealerships like my local one. There are a lot of people who walk into the place with a BMW GS in mind, but if they could test-ride an Explorer, they might well change their minds. If Triumph eliminates all demos altogether, they're going to lose sales.

I'm starting to think that Triumph don't fully understand their clientele. All the Triumph owners I know actually ride, they don't just pose.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #2025
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
If that's true, I wonder how long my dealer will continue to sell Triumphs. He already thinks they're idiots for not providing demo-specific bikes to US dealers when new models come out, as BMW does. He sold a lot of S1000RRs because BMW had sent him one allocated for demo use, and after riding it quite a few people signed for one immediately. I have to agree with him -- Triumph is missing an opportunity by not doing the same with bikes like the Explorer, especially at dealerships like my local one. There are a lot of people who walk into the place with a BMW GS in mind, but if they could test-ride an Explorer, they might well change their minds. If Triumph eliminates all demos altogether, they're going to lose sales.

I'm starting to think that Triumph don't fully understand their clientele. All the Triumph owners I know actually ride, they don't just pose.

--mark
I think they understand them pretty well actually...and the no-demo bikes seems to be false information.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote