ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #2026
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
and the no-demo bikes seems to be false information.

Yeah, I saw Dakez's post after I wrote mine. I hope that's true. I've just been feeling for a while like Triumph doesn't give their clientele quite enough credit -- pretty much every Triumph rider I know loves his/her bike, rides it a lot, and will very likely buy another Triumph eventually (and many already own more than one), but very few of them have any interest whatsoever in "lifestyle" paraphernalia.

It does make sense, of course, for Triumph to go after what lifestyle market there is, but IMO they shouldn't make the mistake of concentrating on it the way HD seems to.

Where Triumph was on the mark, though, was their introduction of the Adventure segment -- they understand full well how much money we ADV types spend on farkles, and they made mention of it in their initial dealer meeting intro back in January 2010 or whenever it was. The difference is, farkles are functional and practical, not just fashion (well, unless all you ever do is ride to Starbucks...). I think they could actually be doing more with it -- I can think of quite a few Tiger accessories that Triumph should come out with but hasn't -- but supposedly there's a bunch of stuff in the pipeline that simply hasn't been released yet.

--mark

PS: Speaking of that "just riding to Starbucks" thing... I actually think it would be hilarious if someone started a ride report of rides to the most far-flung, out of the way coffee shops around. Example: the Tim Horton's in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador. "Oh, yeah, I just took a morning run out on the bike to grab some coffee... but I had to ride 300 miles of sketchy gravel to get there..."
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #2027
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Yeah, I saw Dakez's post after I wrote mine. I hope that's true. I've just been feeling for a while like Triumph doesn't give their clientele quite enough credit -- pretty much every Triumph rider I know loves his/her bike, rides it a lot, and will very likely buy another Triumph eventually (and many already own more than one), but very few of them have any interest whatsoever in "lifestyle" paraphernalia.

It does make sense, of course, for Triumph to go after what lifestyle market there is, but IMO they shouldn't make the mistake of concentrating on it the way HD seems to.

Where Triumph was on the mark, though, was their introduction of the Adventure segment -- they understand full well how much money we ADV types spend on farkles, and they made mention of it in their initial dealer meeting intro back in January 2010 or whenever it was. The difference is, farkles are functional and practical, not just fashion (well, unless all you ever do is ride to Starbucks...). I think they could actually be doing more with it -- I can think of quite a few Tiger accessories that Triumph should come out with but hasn't -- but supposedly there's a bunch of stuff in the pipeline that simply hasn't been released yet.

--mark

PS: Speaking of that "just riding to Starbucks" thing... I actually think it would be hilarious if someone started a ride report of rides to the most far-flung, out of the way coffee shops around. Example: the Tim Horton's in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador. "Oh, yeah, I just took a morning run out on the bike to grab some coffee... but I had to ride 300 miles of sketchy gravel to get there..."
Agreed on all points (esp buying the multiple Triumph's bit ).

I think as a company grows, it's a fine line between (for want of a better phrase) keeping it 'real' or branching out into new markets (i.e. coffee filters). HD has gone way and I really really hope Triumph doesn't follow them down the same path. Sure, sell Triumph watches and the like if you must (Porsche and Ferrari sell branded products) just don't make that your MAIN profit center.

As I say, my local Hardley dealer has over half their floor space given over to Hardley shite - not gear mind, just Hardley badged shite.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #2028
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's damn simple for me: no test ride, no sale. That's why pretty much all Japanese manufacturers are out of the question for me.
All four of the Yamaha dealers I visited for the S10 offered me a test ride and I took two of them up on it.

No problems with any of the Yamaha dealers!
__________________
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
Climb14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #2029
BiganDaft
Adventurer
 
BiganDaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 77
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside13 View Post
There is a black Explorer on its way to my house next week. This will be the first bike delivered in the country . I've been on edge for the last few weeks as we have planned a trip around the country next week and I desperately wanted to do it on the Explorer. Seems like it may make it just in time

BTW it will involve a bunch of really cool guys riding +-5000km on and off road and the excuse for getting on the bikes and doing this distance is to test beer at a string of micro breweries dotted around the country. The best reason anyone could have to take a week off work - ride a cool bike and drink cold beer
Almost time to go Farside, hope that your "Barge" can keep up with us
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2030
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Ducati had a unique method to give riders demo rides on a new model early on. Couple/few years ago when the new Multistrada 1200 was coming out, dealers were crying out for Demo bikes. None to be had.

Ducati selected a few favorite dealers and arranged to bring six new Multistrada's to these dealers, each for a day, then onto the next dealer, and so on, around the country (or state?).

My local dealer was notified new bikes were coming. They wisely contacted their most loyal customers, inviting them to Demo the new Multi. About 20 riders signed up and showed up on the day. They went out in groups of six (only six bikes available) for two hours riding for each group. The "minders" did not restrict speed and much hooliganism ensued. (a good friend did this demo ride) Smiles all round, great time had by all ... no crashes, no tickets.

My buddy checked back with the dealer/owner a week later .... 17 out of 20 bought the Multistrada 1200! (my buddy was one of just three that did not buy) Average price of each bike? Around $18,000 OTD. $18K X 17 = $306,000 Gross. Pretty decent days work! But Ducati have had flops too ... like the "Streetfighter" which continue to collect dust on showroom floors.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #2031
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 720
A while back when the Honda Hoot was at its peak, many a manufacturer brought a demo fleet to Asheville, then on to Knoxville. The first year it was in Knoxville I rode my first Triumph. I went out several times and fell in love with the Tiger (01' at that time I believe). I also road the GS and the V Strom back to back and could not get over the Tiger. So, I went and bought my first Tiger, after that demo ride.
I'm a huge supporter of this marketing method, hope to see the good ole' days return at some point in the near future...
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
05' Husqvarna TE510 (yeller and blue)
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2032
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
All four of the Yamaha dealers I visited for the S10 offered me a test ride and I took two of them up on it.

No problems with any of the Yamaha dealers!
When I was looking around, no test rides for:

- Suzuki (DL650)
- Honda (VFR800)
- Yamaha (XT1200Z)
- Kawasaki (Versys)

Ducati had a only halfway helpful escorted test ride for the Multi (What? 3 miles highway and 2 miles city isn't enough?).

Of course, it might just be the dealer ...

Triumph and BMW were completely opposite, I test rode:

- R1200GS and F800GS
- R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure
- R1200RT
- K1300GT
- R1200R
- Tiger 1050
- Tiger 800
- Street Triple

Last bikes I bought new: F800GS, R1200GS, Tiger 800. Surprise? No.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #2033
Gregster
Studly Adventurer
 
Gregster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
...
To them, no amount of internet owner reports will accurately describe how it fits and makes them feel.
Fuss farts These over emotional types probably fret over whether their socks match too. Sorry, but I don't need my ego stroked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
...
Question for you. Do you buy shoes without trying them on? If so, do you hike? Get what I'm getting at at now?
Awwww, come on! You can try on a pair of shoes in the store and maybe walk around in them right there but the shoe sales person is not going to let you take off with them for a 1/2 hour. Let me get this right, you try on a new pair of shoes and tell the sales person, yeah, I just need to go for a little walk to make sure these shoes are just perfect for my feet, I need to feel that special connection. I'm just going to go around the block here and make sure they will make me feel special while I'm sitting atr Starbucks enjoying my latte. Yeah right! Listen, you can sit on any bike in any showroom to see how it feels the same way that you can try on any pair of shoes at a shoe store to see how they feel. Your comparisson is bogus.

Princess and the pea.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #2034
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Fuss farts These over emotional types probably fret over whether their socks match too. Sorry, but I don't need my ego stroked.



Awwww, come on! You can try on a pair of shoes in the store and maybe walk around in them right there but the shoe sales person is not going to let you take off with them for a 1/2 hour. Let me get this right, you try on a new pair of shoes and tell the sales person, yeah, I just need to go for a little walk to make sure these shoes are just perfect for my feet, I need to feel that special connection. I'm just going to go around the block here and make sure they will make me feel special while I'm sitting atr Starbucks enjoying my latte. Yeah right! Listen, you can sit on any bike in any showroom to see how it feels the same way that you can try on any pair of shoes at a shoe store to see how they feel. Your comparisson is bogus.

Princess and the pea.
Ummm... Most shoe store, REI & Dick's for sure allow you to return shoes you've purchased, taken home and worn around the house, with no questions asked. I know because I have done so a few times and test riding them up and down my stairs gives me a pretty darn good idea.
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2035
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 602
ah, it seems like there are different opinions

some read about, look and sit on it and then buy it

other, like myself, want a 3hour ride on it

I don't see a problem, except of course if all have to conform....

not for me thanks
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2036
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Fuss farts These over emotional types probably fret over whether their socks match too. Sorry, but I don't need my ego stroked.
Hmmm. Could it just be that you are a sloppy, non-caring, I-live-with-whatever-shit I buy kind of guy? No offense please, but keep in mind that people do care whether socks match, whether hair is washed, and whether I like the engine of a 15k motorcycle I might buy. If you don't, be happy. I care for all of these. I don't buy a new car or bike without a test drive / ride.

And trying shoes on is a perfect comparison - I have had shoes on for half an hour in the store while looking at other things. I also try helmets on and leave them on for 15 minutes in the store. I rarely ever buy stuff I later don't like. And yes, I'm picky. But why would that be your problem?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #2037
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hmmm. Could it just be that you are a sloppy, non-caring, I-live-with-whatever-shit I buy kind of guy? No offense please, but keep in mind that people do care whether socks match, whether hair is washed, and whether I like the engine of a 15k motorcycle I might buy. If you don't, be happy. I care for all of these. I don't buy a new car or bike without a test drive / ride.

And trying shoes on is a perfect comparison - I have had shoes on for half an hour in the store while looking at other things. I also try helmets on and leave them on for 15 minutes in the store. I rarely ever buy stuff I later don't like. And yes, I'm picky. But why would that be your problem?
many people still believe bikers are a bunch of dumb-asses - in certain instances they have a point
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #2038
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
perhaps you could have said his dealer is mistaken rather than calling him "a liar and a fool".

I just don't get it

I like liar or fool better.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #2039
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels
 
GaelicDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,322
We need a "My panties are bunching up" forum, NOW!!!
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #2040
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels
 
GaelicDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,322
Got an email from Jesse at Jesse Luggage. The Tiger Explorer brackets should be ready in 3 weeks!!!!!
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014