Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #2071
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Rode it yesterday around Road Atlanta, first impressions are the throttle is pretty sensitive and would take some getting used to, bike has tons of torque, of course I didn't ride it much and get any speed out of it, but seems like a well engineered bike. For me personally I'd have to get some risers to bring the bars up, they seem a little forward and low, and the graphite looks better in person than a picture.
It is alot of bike for the money, that is for sure!
They're HEEEEEEEERRRRRE!!!!

Looks like you rode the "launch edition", so I guess the rumors are true and the dealers are getting those as their demos. Nice!

Can you comment on the bike's size? It looks pretty dang big. Top heavy at all?

Thanks!
-SM

P.S. Same for me re. risers. Cycle-ergo shows about 8deg forward lean for me at 6'0" and 33" inseam, needing 2" pullback to get to upright. Do you think there's THAT much room to move the bars with the stock cables???
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #2072
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Rode it yesterday around Road Atlanta, first impressions are the throttle is pretty sensitive and would take some getting used to, bike has tons of torque, of course I didn't ride it much and get any speed out of it, but seems like a well engineered bike. For me personally I'd have to get some risers to bring the bars up, they seem a little forward and low, and the graphite looks better in person than a picture.
It is alot of bike for the money, that is for sure!

Hey there Scott, I mean Tiger007, nice ride. So do you like it better than the 800XC? Would I like it?

dc
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #2073
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Thumb

She looks great under you Scott. Did you pull the trigger on one yet or still pondering?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #2074
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
well

Sockmonkey- I find the multi more comfortable immediately, it fits my riding position right out of the box, the Explorer's riding position really feels like that of an 800XC, slight reach forward and a little low. Now remember I'm speaking for me and my personal preferences, like more of a supermotard position. I'm 6 1 and 190lbs, and I prefer to sit more upright with my arms resting on the bars.
Once you get her rolling she feels well balanced, size goes unnoticed. I think you'd feel that weight if you were trying more serious off road applications, but doing gravel and some washouts was enjoyable and I've go no dirt riding background.

Charlie- good to hear from ya', I think you would like it, it really did feel like a larger 800XC, so if liked that bike, you'll love this ride.

Bigjon- I really enjoy the Multistrada, but thinking hard about the Explorer, I'm torn. So, I need a magic lottery ticket to get both, problem solved!

The first impression is one of caution, the throttle is very sensitive, the slightest movement by your wrist the bike mimics instantly, it would take some getting used to. I was going over speedbumps in 4th gear (15mph) and she didn't complain or hesitate at all. I only got her up to 39 mph, inside the park. I would have to take her on the open road for a more thorough exam, that's to decide if the trigger was in need of pulling. The finish is awesome and it seems like a big bang for the buck product. For potential buyers it may come down to comfort and getting used to the throttle (ride by wire).
I did hear that dealers may NOT be getting demo bikes, whatever they get in, they will have to let folks ride it/them and sell it/them with current mileage...stay tuned more on that one...look for these to come in to dealers who sent folks to tech school in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
So, here they come US!
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #2075
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

besides

I plan on keeping on my 06'....two Tigers in the garage? Folks might start talking...

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #2076
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
What is your height, Scott? I'm trying to judge the massiveness of the Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #2077
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

I'm 6 1 and 190lbs, and I prefer to sit more upright with my arms resting on the bars.The bike is actually fairly narrow once you get passed the gas tank.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #2078
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
I'm 6 1 and 190lbs, and I prefer to sit more upright with my arms resting on the bars.The bike is actually fairly narrow once you get passed the gas tank.
Thanks, same as I, in weight/height category... Need to sit on one

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #2079
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 615
Cash Discount

Any ideas on what can of discount a dealer might give on a cash purchase for an Explorer? I haven't ever paid cash for a vehicle before so don't have a clue as to what I might expect that means the dealer does okay and so do I.

Thanks.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #2080
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Any ideas on what can of discount a dealer might give on a cash purchase for an Explorer? I haven't ever paid cash for a vehicle before so don't have a clue as to what I might expect that means the dealer does okay and so do I.

Thanks.
Cash is no incentive for a dealer, they'd much rather finance. We always pay cash for our vehicles and it's never been any kind of bargaining tool.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #2081
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Cash is no incentive for a dealer, they'd much rather finance. We always pay cash for our vehicles and it's never been any kind of bargaining tool.
True... I've paid cash for mine... you should have seen the effort the dealer went to , to try and get me to sign up for finance
Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #2082
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Yep, not like the old days. Dealers usually do 'indirect financing' with either a captive source (i.e. the manufacturer credit division or its finance source) or a local lender. The dealer will probably make a small profit from the financing then.

The only advantage I see these days is if your able to purchase the new bike w/o trading your current stead. In my experience most dealers try/need to steal your trade-in. And I understand that they need to profit on every sale. If you have the ability to sell it on your own you'll typically do better by a bunch.

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #2083
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Thanks.
Yesterday a local Tri dealer posted an Explorer for sale on San Fran Bay Area Craig's list .... Price? $18,000 and change, plus tax/fees. !!! Now, that add is gone. Maybe an error? dunno. What OTD quotes are folks getting now? I thought MSRP was $15K something?? If it's that high I'd definitely wait them out ... until they sit there as left overs ... and it's Winter and the dealers Flooring fees are killing him.

I'm already seeing some decent discounts on the '11 and '12 T800's. I'm still waiting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #2084
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Does the 1200 also have the high pitch whining noise at low rpm, from idle to about 3000 rpm like the 800 has?
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #2085
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
Does the 1200 also have the high pitch whining noise at low rpm, from idle to about 3000 rpm like the 800 has?
It's a Triumph Triple, probably count on it. If you don't like the whine you could always buy one of the twins. Neither our Bonneville or Scrambler whined, but my wife says she's having a lot more fun on her Street Triple. And she's NOT whining about having trouble passing now.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote