ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #2086
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur
 
Too Many Toys's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
Oddometer: 1,200
Yep, not like the old days. Dealers usually do 'indirect financing' with either a captive source (i.e. the manufacturer credit division or its finance source) or a local lender. The dealer will probably make a small profit from the financing then.

The only advantage I see these days is if your able to purchase the new bike w/o trading your current stead. In my experience most dealers try/need to steal your trade-in. And I understand that they need to profit on every sale. If you have the ability to sell it on your own you'll typically do better by a bunch.



Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Any ideas on what can of discount a dealer might give on a cash purchase for an Explorer? I haven't ever paid cash for a vehicle before so don't have a clue as to what I might expect that means the dealer does okay and so do I.

Thanks.
__________________
TMT
Too Many Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #2087
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Any ideas on what can of discount a dealer might give on a cash purchase for an Explorer? I haven't ever paid cash for a vehicle before so don't have a clue as to what I might expect that means the dealer does okay and so do I.

Thanks.
Yesterday a local Tri dealer posted an Explorer for sale on San Fran Bay Area Craig's list .... Price? $18,000 and change, plus tax/fees. !!! Now, that add is gone. Maybe an error? dunno. What OTD quotes are folks getting now? I thought MSRP was $15K something?? If it's that high I'd definitely wait them out ... until they sit there as left overs ... and it's Winter and the dealers Flooring fees are killing him.

I'm already seeing some decent discounts on the '11 and '12 T800's. I'm still waiting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #2088
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bell driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Germany, Nordish By Nature.
Oddometer: 271
Does the 1200 also have the high pitch whining noise at low rpm, from idle to about 3000 rpm like the 800 has?
__________________
1985 Honda XLV750R
1989 KLR650A
2007 XR650L
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2089
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
Does the 1200 also have the high pitch whining noise at low rpm, from idle to about 3000 rpm like the 800 has?
It's a Triumph Triple, probably count on it. If you don't like the whine you could always buy one of the twins. Neither our Bonneville or Scrambler whined, but my wife says she's having a lot more fun on her Street Triple. And she's NOT whining about having trouble passing now.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #2090
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Cash is no incentive for a dealer, they'd much rather finance. We always pay cash for our vehicles and it's never been any kind of bargaining tool.
Bugger!

Used to be on stuff when I was younger but I expect finance wasn't the preferred method then.

Thanks.
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #2091
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yesterday a local Tri dealer posted an Explorer for sale on San Fran Bay Area Craig's list .... Price? $18,000 and change, plus tax/fees. !!! Now, that add is gone. Maybe an error? dunno. What OTD quotes are folks getting now? I thought MSRP was $15K something?? If it's that high I'd definitely wait them out ... until they sit there as left overs ... and it's Winter and the dealers Flooring fees are killing him.

I'm already seeing some decent discounts on the '11 and '12 T800's. I'm still waiting.

From what I've read here, http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/ne...explorer-1200/ & a couple other sites, there are only going to be 6,000 of the 2012 models produced. My guess is that they'll all be gone long before snow flies here in the USA.

As far as pricing is concerned I'd like to believe there are enough Triumph dealers that still believe in honesty & integrity that the few dealers that will try to make a fast "extra" buck or two will get beat out by the dealers that smart buyers like us will continue to do business with. That said, you may not see many discounted prices either, as this sounds like one of the most intriguing bikes to hit the market in years. The U.S. base list price of $15,699 doesn't sound too far out of line if the bike is half as good as the reviews sound...
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #2092
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!
 
rhinoWERX's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: LB, CA
Oddometer: 844
Cool2

Just got back from a dealer in here SoCal that has a black launch edition on the floor. They're getting it prepped so that I can test ride it next weekend. They are also looking into pricing on a launch model in case I'm interested.

Rock on Saturday!
__________________
rhinoWErX
"Do you see what I see..."
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #2093
Echo3Niner
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Bugger!

Used to be on stuff when I was younger but I expect finance wasn't the preferred method then.

Thanks.
Yeah, those days are gone. Even bringing our own financing (USAA for instance) made our Jeep dealer whine like a little girl, cause they don't make anything on it...

I have a well oiled plan that works for me: I always start by doing the Internet research, I know what the list is and the invoice for the actual spec vehicle I'm going in to buy. I tell 'em up front, I'm here to buy this specific vehicle; though I usually know what the top competing product is too, and mention I'm trying to decide between the two....

I use simple math, on anything that's still selling for near sticker, I start my negotiations at 20% off, with the goal actually being 10% off list; by the time I add all the crap on after, if I get out the door (OTD) for about what it's listed at, I figure I did well enough. And they usually are still making enough to stay in business.

If the vehicle's been sitting (like my last VFR), then I ramp it up to 30% with the goal more like 20%, or whatever seems right to me; but I have it all planned out before I go in. My last Dodge truck I bought just before Chrysler went under in early '09, it had set on the lot for over 6 months. It was listed at $48k, I got it OTD for $36k...

I wait until after I'm done negotiating before I talk about how I'm buying the vehicle.

But, I'm a glutton for punishment, buying a vehicle for me is like an all day ordeal at the dealer (and sometimes more); I'm always willing to walk and go to another dealer, and usually have to get up to do so several times before I get what I want.

I also don't get mad at the sales person, they have no power, it's the "sales manager" (or whatever title they use), who approves all deals, the salesperson is just the go-between...

I just take my phone/tablet and play games, watch some Internet TV, read stuff on the Internet, etc. while I wait... I'll even bring snacks and soda along. Once they figure out I'm not late for a dinner date, it usually moves along.

But, that's just me; as always, your mileage may very.
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #2094
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,538
I believe we will have one on the floor Friday night for our official Grand Opening weekend.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #2095
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post

I use simple math, on anything that's still selling for near sticker, I start my negotiations at 20% off, with the goal actually being 10% off list; by the time I add all the crap on after, if I get out the door (OTD) for about what it's listed at, I figure I did well enough. And they usually are still making enough to stay in business.
Exactly what I planned on... and wasn't far out when I rode off on the new bike
__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #2096
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
From what I've read here, http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/ne...explorer-1200/ & a couple other sites, there are only going to be 6,000 of the 2012 models produced. My guess is that they'll all be gone long before snow flies here in the USA....
I went to a dealer launch, and the guy was saying that about 3,600 of the 6,000 were already spoken for in terms of deposits. Of course, I have no idea if he was telling the truth.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #2097
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Paulvt1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Wolverhampton. England.
Oddometer: 3,474
The 2 local dealers i have visited have had only sold stock on the floor. Very popular model by the looks of it.
Still haven't managed a test ride. Very remiss of me..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #2098
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 309
test ride

Stopped thursday in the middle of a trip at a triumph dealer so my riding buddy could test a tiger 800 they didnt have one for him to try but they did have a 1200 i could demo i casually tried to work a deal with no real effort on their part to gain my business so we went on our way. saturday am i signed papers on a graphite tiger 1200 at another dealer they said i should have it mid may !
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 4600mi 12 Impreza 116,000mi 12 Tiger Explorer 15,400 mi 09 Aprilia RXV 450 320 miles 13 Husky Terra 4205
The sheep don't like the sheep dog until the wolf comes around
7137 days
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #2099
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Stopped thursday in the middle of a trip at a triumph dealer so my riding buddy could test a tiger 800 they didnt have one for him to try but they did have a 1200 i could demo i casually tried to work a deal with no real effort on their part to gain my business so we went on our way. saturday am i signed papers on a graphite tiger 1200 at another dealer they said i should have it mid may !
You'll be impressed with it
__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #2100
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
You'll be impressed with it
oh i was impressed on the test ride thats why i bought it :)
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 4600mi 12 Impreza 116,000mi 12 Tiger Explorer 15,400 mi 09 Aprilia RXV 450 320 miles 13 Husky Terra 4205
The sheep don't like the sheep dog until the wolf comes around
7137 days
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014