ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #2221
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,599
Yes, that so light throttle and quick response - are there any other modes? I thought I was in SPORT mode when I tested it.

I tried to reach Cruise Control ON/OFF button and pulled the throttle a little - bike reach 100 in no time.

Are the different modes, like LOOSE GRAVEL SWITCH BACK mode?
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #2222
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 275
Thumb Beautifull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Sold after a test ride. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.



Hey rhinoWERX. That is one GREAT looking bike. My black lady should be here in about 2 weeks. Like the poster above mentioned there are no good pics of the black Explorers anywhere. Thanks for the excellent photos.
One quick question for you. Are the handguards on the Explorer the same size as the 800 Tiger? The Tiger has some really puny guards...
We'll all be looking forward to an actual owners review and more pics from you. Ride safe & enjoyy the new lady!
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #2223
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm really not sure what your point is The throttle, like other things on a new bike, just need a little time to adjust to. I have no doubt a Tigger would make it up that hill with little issue.
I agree, but even on SIXTH gear at crawling speed the engine will NOT hesitate
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #2224
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
...I've bought a pair of Givi Trekker 33L bags.... the nice thing is that each one could be used as a top case as well... very comparable in price to the OEM offerings from Triumph... As a top case not to big either

Will be spacious enough for a 2 week euro trip I think

Just waiting on Givi to produce the frames

I like the TREKKERs, good thing side cases could be used as top box as well, - didn't know that. I wish they had BLACK cases too, though...
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #2225
Fun Lovin' Criminal
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Nottingham, England.
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm really not sure what your point is The throttle, like other things on a new bike, just need a little time to adjust to. I have no doubt a Tigger would make it up that hill with little issue.
I really don't think I could get that bike up there with such a sensitive throttle response - once you start getting flung around on the rocks your throttle control gets knocked to shit.

Incidentally, I'm no Triumph hater - I've had a 900 Trident for 15 years and I've just bought a Thunderbird Storm. I was looking for a bike to replace my 1150GS - looks like I need to test an 800XC
Fun Lovin' Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #2226
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I like the TREKKERs, good thing side cases could be used as top box as well, - didn't know that. I wish they had BLACK cases too, though...
I think the silver complements the Graphite Explorer... the other nice thing is that when used as side cases the top of the lid 'flips' to make it a top loader
__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #2227
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
I think the silver complements the Graphite Explorer... the other nice thing is that when used as side cases the top of the lid 'flips' to make it a top loader
I've always relied on aluminum panniers, I tend to get my bikes on one side or the other, in places normal people don't even think going...

So, how robust are they? Is the siderack removable?
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #2228
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I've always relied on aluminum panniers, I tend to get my bikes on one side or the other, in places normal people don't even think going...

So, how robust are they? Is the siderack removable?

Givi have been at the pannier game for around 30 years I think.... I'm told that the Givi racks will be quick release

They certainly feel well made, although they are basically plastic with an aluminium cover on the lids
__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #2229
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!
 
rhinoWERX's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: LB, CA
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Hey rhinoWERX. That is one GREAT looking bike. My black lady should be here in about 2 weeks. Like the poster above mentioned there are no good pics of the black Explorers anywhere. Thanks for the excellent photos.
One quick question for you. Are the handguards on the Explorer the same size as the 800 Tiger? The Tiger has some really puny guards...
We'll all be looking forward to an actual owners review and more pics from you. Ride safe & enjoyy the new lady!
I'm not use about the hand guards but i wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. Planning on going for a longer ride today.
Cheers
__________________
rhinoWErX
"Do you see what I see..."
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #2230
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!
 
rhinoWERX's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: LB, CA
Oddometer: 837
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
On my GS's I've had Jesse bags, Touratech special systems and ordinary ones, genuine 1150 ADV luggage, 1200 ADV bags, Verns, Ard Cases ( both uk only I think)

I've bought a pair of Givi Trekker 33L bags.... the nice thing is that each one could be used as a top case as well... very comparable in price to the OEM offerings from Triumph... As a top case not to big either

I like that 33l case as a top box. Is there a mounting plate available specific for the TE 1200 or does the one for the 800 work?
__________________
rhinoWErX
"Do you see what I see..."
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #2231
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
I like that 33l case as a top box. Is there a mounting plate available specific for the TE 1200 or does the one for the 800 work?
The Givi monokey universal mounting plate will work with it....

I've used an older monokey cast alloy plate ( got it for free) took a bit of head scratching but it works once the plastic cover is taken off the original rack.

Feels solid enough. Only thing with it was that there's just one slot either side to mount it.. so I used a bit of angle steel underneath to help spread the load.. It's not using the original 4 bolt holes, which would be ideal... but I worked with what I had


__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #2232
LowOnFuel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LowOnFuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 202
This bike is very interesting and has been added to my short list for consideration.
Sorry if this has been discussed before (did a search and found nothing), but has this bikes final drive unit been used in a previous Triumph model?
I was reading the owners manual and found this:

Final Drive Unit

Other than checking the final drive oil level,
the unit contains no user serviceable parts. If
a fault occurs with the final drive unit, your
Triumph dealer must replace the complete
assembly.
Check the final drive unit for oil leaks in
accordance with the scheduled maintenance
chart.

Final Drive Oil Level Adjustment

1. Filler level plug
To check the oil level in the final drive unit,
remove the filler level plug. Fill with 75W/90
fully synthetic hypoid oil that meets
specification API Service Level GL5, such as
Castrol SAF-XO fully synthetic hypoid oil,
until the level of oil inside the unit is level with
the bottom of the filler. Refit the plug and
tighten to 25 Nm.

The above was copied from the owners manual - Page 100

Thanks
LowOnFuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2233
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Lovin' Criminal View Post
I really don't think I could get that bike up there with such a sensitive throttle response - once you start getting flung around on the rocks your throttle control gets knocked to shit.

Incidentally, I'm no Triumph hater - I've had a 900 Trident for 15 years and I've just bought a Thunderbird Storm. I was looking for a bike to replace my 1150GS - looks like I need to test an 800XC
I know you are no Triumph hater at all. As for the sensitive throttle, that's what the clutch is for. The throttle on the 800 is a little sensitive too when you first ride it but you get used to it and as I say, couple fingers on the clutch so you can feather it a little when you start getting knocked around and the throttle starts jerking a bit.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #2234
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels
 
GaelicDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Lovin' Criminal View Post
Had a test ride on one yesterday - fuck me that's quick! It'll get 2 people and a lot of gear a long way in a short space of time.

However, I won't be buying. To me this sort of bike has to be able to make it up the mountain at the Stella Alpina in Northern Italy (see youtube link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITucSZ7bxI&feature=fvst

It would get to Italy faster and in more comfort than anything I've ever owned, but that fly-by-wire throttle would see it launch itself off the side of the mountain when you reach the switchbacks (see 1:40ish on the video)

Great bike, but not for me.
I've had KTM's and BMW's,,,,,,, there is NO reason at all the Triumph would not do that road with ease. IF retirees can do it on their GS's, you can do it on this bike!

I think I'd be running TKC 80's or an equivalent tire though!
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #2235
Bryn
Leicester England
 
Bryn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Leicester UK
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnFuel View Post
This bike is very interesting and has been added to my short list for consideration.
Sorry if this has been discussed before (did a search and found nothing), but has this bikes final drive unit been used in a previous Triumph model?
I'm sure I've heard that this is the first time a shaft has been used by Triumph on a single side swing arm... If that is indeed the case its new... like the engine... which is not just a bored out 1050
__________________
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014