Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #2236
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Lovin' Criminal View Post
Had a test ride on one yesterday - fuck me that's quick! It'll get 2 people and a lot of gear a long way in a short space of time.

However, I won't be buying. To me this sort of bike has to be able to make it up the mountain at the Stella Alpina in Northern Italy (see youtube link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITucSZ7bxI&feature=fvst
It would get to Italy faster and in more comfort than anything I've ever owned, but that fly-by-wire throttle would see it launch itself off the side of the mountain when you reach the switchbacks (see 1:40ish on the video)
Great bike, but not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm really not sure what your point is The throttle, like other things on a new bike, just need a little time to adjust to. I have no doubt a Tigger would make it up that hill with little issue.
Beautifully done Video! Very nice!
Rocky terrain is tricky on a big bike. I've done a bit of this on GS's and on my former V-Strom. I have no doubt a good rider on the Explorer could make it ... with knobbies of course.

I've ridden the switchbacks from Creel, Copper Canyon, a 5000 ft. drop in 30 miles down to Batopilas. Did it 5 times on my Vstrom. Not as rocky but sections of very loose scree rock with steep switchbacks and LONG drop offs if you screw up.

If guys on R12GSADV's can do that road ... so can the Explorer. Maintaining momentum and steady power is key going UP switchbacks. Downhill? Be smooth, pick good lines ... and very good braking technique. If you go too slow, you will tip over. Keep the speed up ... even through the switchbacks.

Not even any knobbies on any of these bikes. No problems.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #2237
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Why yes I do... But then again I don't work at just any dealership. I work for Latus Motors. Team Latus has a long and rich history and has a very good reputation for performance enhancements.
Some real beauties there! Nice to see committed dealerships doing well!

Does your dealership use an assembly service like many dealers do? When I worked a multi line dealership, the owners hired an independent company to assemble and deliver the bikes from the warehouse. Some of these assembly companies did not employ the most skilled or caring mechanics.

Bikes come off the boat in a crate. Wheels off, handbars off and lots more not on the bike. So whomever opens the crate has a bit of a job getting the bike ready to roll onto the showroom.

We used to see quite a few things missed. And it was OUR JOB to re-check the bike after the assembly guys were done before the bike went out the door. We found plenty of things Un-torqued, bolts missing, loose axle bolts, things put on wrong. Some services are better than others.

But the problem is many dealerships leave this task to the sales staff to do (PDI prep before the bike goes out the door) Mechanics were too busy making real money for the shop. As a result ... some problems came up: Like dangling calipers, loose handlebars, or missing hardware on shields.

If we had time ... we would always take the new bike for a short test ride.

So how do you guys handle this?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 03:46 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #2238
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I have not ridden the new Explorer, yet, so I can't directly respond the to touchy throttle. However, considering the throttle is ride by wire, a simple software update is all thats needed to fix the issue. If the issue is as prevalent as seems to be judging by the numerous comments on this thread make it appear, then Triumph will likely offer a software update to correct it. If not, the various performance tuners that will almost certainly be available soon will likely have settings to correct the issue.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it if that is what is keeping you from purchasing this bike.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #2239
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
i have not ridden the new explorer, yet, so i can't directly respond the to touchy throttle. However, considering the throttle is ride by wire, a simple software update is all thats needed to fix the issue. If the issue is as prevalent as seems to be judging by the numerous comments on this thread make it appear, then triumph will likely offer a software update to correct it. If not, the various performance tuners that will almost certainly be available soon will likely have settings to correct the issue.

Basically, i wouldn't worry about it if that is what is keeping you from purchasing this bike.
+1

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2240
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
moggi still waiting my friend ?
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #2241
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
moggi still waiting my friend ?
No! Got it today and did 8712 miles on it; serviced it myself without stopping (thank goodness for cruise control) and getting 93 to the gallon. It isn't all it's cracked up to be!

I'm off to bed now to hopefully pick up where I left off

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #2242
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Cool2

Just got back from a 180 mile ride - with gas light on and 4 miles left on the ODO countdown When I bought the bike they said they gave me a full tank of gas - who knows - but when I went to fill it up again, all I could fit in it was 4.6 gals. Speaking of filling it up with gas Ė whatís with the bar that prevents the nozzle from being inserted all the way? Iím sure itís there for a reason. What ever it is, it makes re-fueling a little challenging. Anybody have additional info?

So I rode out to Malibu, through the mountains, along the coast and home again. Ride consisted of freeway, some heavy traffic conditions, twisties and more than enough stop and go.

FWIW, I guess I should mention that this is my first Triumph, so some of this might be old news but I have to say that I love the gearbox It's silky smooth. Also the power delivery from the engine is spot.

Of course I'm still in the break in period and am trying to take it easy. Nonetheless, the bike did superbly. I think it's been said before but it feels very light. It handled the twisties extremely well. The brakes, while not as good as the 2012 Speed Triple that I'd test rode the weekend before (with its mono block brembos), are however plenty powerful and have no problems, with just a couple of fingers, pulling the big girl to a quick stop from freeway speeds.

I played around with the windscreen settings - I'm 5' 11" and with the shield in the upper most position, I was able to ride comfortably at 70mph with my face shield up. I also put the seat in the taller position and may adjust it yet again by dropping the back of it as I felt I was leaning forward just a tad

Lane splitting was a bit more of a challenge - with the wider handlebars, but creeping along at slow speeds was no problem at all - very smooth.

As for the throttle; it doesnít feel broken to me, but it is somewhat sensitive. Definitely need to be gentle with it. Having said that though, I feel like itís something I can get used to. One thing I noticed was that after the ride, my throttle wrist wasnít complaining Ė I guess thatís because it doesnít require a heavy grip and or a lot of twisting. Once the bike has broken in, and I have the opportunity to use the cruise control, it should be even better.

The last thing I have to comment about is the computer; I feel like I need to spend a bit more time playing around with it. There seems to be a lot of info and Iím not sure what all of the readings meant. Perhaps I should read the manualÖ

On a final note I think this bike will be a keeper. The riding position suits me (I loved my Uly and this bike has similar ergos), it has plenty of horsepower, and it handles great, rides smooth, and looks like a bike that was made for burly folk.

I think the only thing Iím missing at this point is luggage Ė as long as it gets here for before I head to MotoGP, Laguna Seca, this year, Iíll be happy

IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #2243
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
I think the only thing Iím missing at this point is luggage Ė as long as it gets here for before I head to MotoGP, Laguna Seca, this year, Iíll be happy
Don't get the factory bags, if they're anything like the 800XC's, they're crap. The attachment hardware is pitifully weak and won't take a tip over.
The aftermarket has lots of options that are stronger, have more room inside and work better.

My 2 cents worth

If you've already purchased the Triumph bags... well, they're fantastic, yes, that's it!

dc
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #2244
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Don't get the factory bags, if they're anything like the 800XC's, they're crap. The attachment hardware is pitifully weak and won't take a tip over.
The aftermarket has lots of options that are stronger, have more room inside and work better.

My 2 cents worth

If you've already purchased the Triumph bags... well, they're fantastic, yes, that's it!

dc
I haven't ordered them - no one seems to have them in stock. Although I wonder if they might be different as they have a different part number from that of the 800's. Having said that, I'm also liking the look of the Givi Trekkers

Cheers
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #2245
DesertStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
.... Speaking of filling it up with gas – what’s with the bar that prevents the nozzle from being inserted all the way? I’m sure it’s there for a reason. What ever it is, it makes re-fueling a little challenging. Anybody have additional info?...
Found this on the Explorer forum

"According to Triumph it's there to prevent damage to the bottom of the shallow tank plus damage to the filler neck"
DesertStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #2246
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
great ride report rhinowerx

that was a great ride report rhinowerx . i plan to order a new black 2012 triumph explorer 1200 at ducati triumph new york in the west village . thank you for posting another excellent picture of your explorer . please consider the triumph explorer luggage set from metal mule in the uk . they come standard in a dark grey but i am special ordering mine with black powder coat paint on top and bottom . metal mule manufactures a " balanced " pannier set ( both sides same width ) or " off-set " set ( different width on each side ) . i am ordering the balanced panniers ( 45 liter on each side ) . the balanced pannier set and included frames require the triumph explorer standard exhaust be replaced with the metal mule scorpion exhaust which is narrower and higher . the scorpion exhaust allows the balanced frame to have equidistant dimensions from the center point of the triumph explorer so your boxes can be the same width . metal mule also makes a slimmer 31 liter pannier and top box . this is serious gear and a little pricey but i believe metal mule is state of the art .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #2247
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My dealer told me pretty much the same thing, and said in the same breath that it's very easy to remove. First fill-up this morning produced no real issues from the insert: I just rested the end of the nozzle on the bar and let the pump's auto-shutoff do its thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStrom View Post
Found this on the Explorer forum

"According to Triumph it's there to prevent damage to the bottom of the shallow tank plus damage to the filler neck"

element6 screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: add'l info
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #2248
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah i have 10k on mine in my dreams been getting some serious riding in the passed few nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
No! Got it today and did 8712 miles on it; serviced it myself without stopping (thank goodness for cruise control) and getting 93 to the gallon. It isn't all it's cracked up to be!

I'm off to bed now to hopefully pick up where I left off
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #2249
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

DAMN rhinowerks that blak looks awesome your making me second guess ordering the gray one, i always buy black bikes thought it was time for a change now your making me think i was wrong haha
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #2250
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I just called the dealer to see if I can cancel the order on the factory panniers and top box (will find out shortly). After reading various reviews it looks like they just aren't very durable. Does anyone on here have them yet? Did they change the design at all from the Tiger 800s?
Brian06 is offline   Reply With Quote