Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #2281
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I don't understand all the pissing and moaning that goes on over the price of a bike. This is a first year, by all accounts so far, a popular bike that every dealer will sell out of. Why the heck would any dealer "negotiate"? And people wonder why dealerships close? I don't mind paying MSRP for a bike and the related prep, delivery etc. I like having my dealer around. I don't try to screw him on the price of a bike, I don't even try to offer less. I also have never walked away from a deal without some sort of compensation from the dealer, usually in discounts on clothing, accessories etc. Between my wife and I we have saved way more in those discounts than any savings we would have got discounting a bike.

Dealerships are in business to make money. Find one you like with good staff, quit whining and support them.
I tend to agree. I think most dealers have more 'wiggle' with clothing, accessories, etc than they ever have on the bike.

When my g/f bought a new bike the dealer wasn't too happy to move from sticker, but he did throw in an alarm + fitting that retailed at £350. Everyone was happy, and my g/f got a 10% discount on her insurance due to the approved alarm/immobiliser (the 10% turned out to be worth £60).

Plus, during the next 2-years the same dealer couldn't have been more helpful, the basic relationship started with a hand-shake and no-one felt ripped off.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #2282
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Just found a post on another forum that the Tiger Explorer has reached Toronto. Possibly the first in Canada. Shouldn't be too much longer now.
Brian06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2283
Moore_Power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
happen to be Martin Motorsports ?
Yes it was. They are having an adventure bike test ride next weekend. Including the Tiger 800,1200,Yamaha Super Tenere, Vstrom and some others.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #2284
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I don't understand all the pissing and moaning that goes on over the price of a bike. This is a first year, by all accounts so far, a popular bike that every dealer will sell out of. Why the heck would any dealer "negotiate"? And people wonder why dealerships close? I don't mind paying MSRP for a bike and the related prep, delivery etc. I like having my dealer around. I don't try to screw him on the price of a bike, I don't even try to offer less. I also have never walked away from a deal without some sort of compensation from the dealer, usually in discounts on clothing, accessories etc. Between my wife and I we have saved way more in those discounts than any savings we would have got discounting a bike.

Dealerships are in business to make money. Find one you like with good staff, quit whining and support them.

Evidently you didn't read my post!

The guy who initially spoke with me said 'they have room to move' on the delivery, freight and doc fee. The second one today said no.

I didn't even say a word about MSRP or a portion of the delivery, freight and doc fees!

The fact that the numbers were turned around from the git-go... that's what I posted about!

I NEVER begrudge a person making a living! Just be square with me!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #2285
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Friends, if you can afford a T1200 you are already in an exclusive club.

Pay the man.

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #2286
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Friends, if you can afford a T1200 you are already in an exclusive club.

Pay the man.

Hold me.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #2287
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
i heard about that adventure bike weekend im considering going but idk if i will i feel bad testing somewhere im not gunna buy i test rode that reps tiger there thats when i decided to buy but they were suppose to call me with numbers about two weeks ago i have since put deposit down elsewhere so i probably shouldnt waste anymore of their time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore_Power View Post
Yes it was. They are having an adventure bike test ride next weekend. Including the Tiger 800,1200,Yamaha Super Tenere, Vstrom and some others.
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #2288
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

i think its instinct to want to negotiate i know ill buy the bike at msrp but it make me feel better if i get more for my trade or discount on farkles or gear i dont ike to take the very first number cuz just budging them a bit makes me happy i dont have to steal it well unless its a leftover then i want it given to me hahhah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I tend to agree. I think most dealers have more 'wiggle' with clothing, accessories, etc than they ever have on the bike.

When my g/f bought a new bike the dealer wasn't too happy to move from sticker, but he did throw in an alarm + fitting that retailed at £350. Everyone was happy, and my g/f got a 10% discount on her insurance due to the approved alarm/immobiliser (the 10% turned out to be worth £60).

Plus, during the next 2-years the same dealer couldn't have been more helpful, the basic relationship started with a hand-shake and no-one felt ripped off.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #2289
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:

+1 - Well said! The number one concern for most buyers should be the quality of the service department. Too many of the new multi-brand dealers have picked up a franchise just to draw more traffic, and have not followed through with adequate service support. Likewise, if you find a good independent shop to meet your needs, by all means purchase your tires, etc., through them to keep them in business. The business you save may be one that you desperately need in the future.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #2290
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Explorer now listed on Touratech USA site

Edit- After further review its just the Zega Pro pannier set, which of course, isn't in stock

Hope this isn't a repost, but Touratech USA recently added Explorer 1200 stuff to its site-

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...00-Accessories
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #2291
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
explorer vs tenere

dear dcstrom

i was very close to picking up the all black yamaha super tenere until news of the black triumph explorer 1200 came along . i have ridden the tenere and i love it . i will wait to test ride the triumph explorer 1200 before i decide between the two bikes . they are both incredible motorcycles . i am leaning a little toward the triumph explorer 1200 . i would like to own them both . i still have a new 2012 black triumph bonneville ( my favorite bike of all time ) and a new black 2012 yamaha stryker ( my other favorite bike of all time ) . when i finally choose either the explorer or the tenere i will never buy another motorcycle again . three great bikes should set me for life . but something really cool always seems to be on the horizon . is there an organization that can help compulsive motorcycle buyers ? moto anonymous ? i do not have jay leno's net worth .

doggrell3000
nyc
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #2292
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 239
Thumb

+1
Podman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #2293
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Finally got to ride one. It's been a good couple of weeks for me. KTM SMT, Honda Crosstourer and now the Tiger 12.
The press have raved about the Tiger, and with justification. It's a bloody good machine. It's fast, comfy and practical. I only managed an hour but i found it to be a thoroughly entertaining ride.
As a current Yamaha Super 10 owner, i found the engine to be excellent. Up there with the Crosstourer. Fast road work is a doddle - especially with the touring screen fitted. Chassis is nimble, driveline is ace, lights work great and controls fall easily to hand.
It feels more in line with the ex - sports bike / sports tourer owner ethos that sees the vast majority of these bikes in the hands of guy's like me - who don't go off road - but, want to cover distance in comfort and fun.
Hell of a machine. if you have one on order - you won't be disappointed.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #2294
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

If you find it let me know i need to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear dcstrom

i was very close to picking up the all black yamaha super tenere until news of the black triumph explorer 1200 came along . i have ridden the tenere and i love it . i will wait to test ride the triumph explorer 1200 before i decide between the two bikes . they are both incredible motorcycles . i am leaning a little toward the triumph explorer 1200 . i would like to own them both . i still have a new 2012 black triumph bonneville ( my favorite bike of all time ) and a new black 2012 yamaha stryker ( my other favorite bike of all time ) . when i finally choose either the explorer or the tenere i will never buy another motorcycle again . three great bikes should set me for life . but something really cool always seems to be on the horizon . is there an organization that can help compulsive motorcycle buyers ? moto anonymous ? i do not have jay leno's net worth .

doggrell3000
nyc
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #2295
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
If you find it let me know i need to join
I joined "Waiters Anonymous" Luke but it turned out to be an organisation for guys who serve you food but don't wear a name tag! I would give that one a miss if I were you.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote