Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #2401
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Triumph Explorer 1200, first 600 miles

Finally got to put a few miles on my Explorer. Have to say Iím very impressed. Without making this TOO long of a post Iíll try to share some thoughts.

Pros:
Great motor! Sounds great, preforms great, gets good fuel mileage. Its almost like a electric motor, tons of torque from the basement. Seat of the pants says it would run & hide from most big adventure bikes in a top gear roll on.

Factory seat is good, all-day comfort.

I was a little suspect of Ďthrottle by wireí. But I have to say the fueling is spot on, and it isnít overly sensitive off idle. LOVE the electronic cruise control as I have a bad right wrist & the cruise allows me to rest it while holding a true speed, unlike throttle stop type of cruise controls.

Fuel mileage/range- This is a big concern but maybe not. In my short time the worst has been 41MPG, best 45+MPG, average 43MPG. Granted I havenít ran it too hard yet, but the 41MPG was some pretty hard corner attacking, lots of high RPM downshifts, high RPM acceleration. Looks that you would be hard pressed to get less then 240 mile range. So very close to non-Adventure GSís as I remember.

The riding position is good for a short fat guy like me. You sit more in it then on top of it like a GS. I can easily reach the ground with the seat in low position, and it doesnít bother my bum knee like a GS did. (I love BMW GSís, and will probably have more, so Iím not anti-GS).

The factory tall touring screen in the mid position is again, perfect for me. At 5í8Ē I get no debris on my face shield and no buffeting.

I have not touched the suspension adjustments but it is compliant while still allowing aggressive riding.

Cons:
Not many :)

I do have a small issue where it will shut down sometimes while rolling to a stop. Its like you hit the kill switch. But it will start right back up. The damn thing is so quiet & smooth at idle I donít realize its dead. Hopefully this is either a isolated issue or Triumph will solve it with a software update.

Lets see, there has to be more cons? Iíll give that some thought.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #2402
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
U.S. born on dates?

What date did you take delivery of your Explorer in the U.S? My delivery date was 4/25/12 (Iowa). Mine was ready 4/24 but I couldn't get there to pick it up, grrrrr
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2403
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post
Finally got to put a few miles on my Explorer. Have to say Iím very impressed. Without making this TOO long of a post Iíll try to share some thoughts.

Pros:
Great motor! Sounds great, preforms great, gets good fuel mileage. Its almost like a electric motor, tons of torque from the basement. Seat of the pants says it would run & hide from most big adventure bikes in a top gear roll on.

I was a little suspect of Ďthrottle by wireí. But I have to say the fueling is spot on, and it isnít overly sensitive off idle. LOVE the electronic cruise control as I have a bad right wrist & the cruise allows me to rest it while holding a true speed, unlike throttle stop type of cruise controls.

Fuel mileage/range- This is a big concern but maybe not. In my short time the worst has been 41MPG, best 45+MPG, average 43MPG. Granted I havenít ran it too hard yet, but the 41MPG was some pretty hard corner attacking, lots of high RPM downshifts, high RPM acceleration. Looks that you would be hard pressed to get less then 240 mile range. So very close to non-Adventure GSís as I remember.

The riding position is good for a short fat guy like me. You sit more in it then on top of it like a GS. I can easily reach the ground with the seat in low position, and it doesnít bother my bum knee like a GS did. (I love BMW GSís, and will probably have more, so Iím not anti-GS).

The factory tall touring screen in the mid position is again, perfect for me. At 5í8Ē I get no debris on my face shield and no buffeting.

I have not touched the suspension adjustments but it is compliant while still allowing aggressive riding.

Cons:
Not many :)

I do have a small issue where it will shut down sometimes while rolling to a stop. Its like you hit the kill switch. But it will start right back up. The damn thing is so quiet & smooth at idle I donít realize its dead. Hopefully this is either a isolated issue or Triumph will solve it with a software update.

Lets see, there has to be more cons? Iíll give that some thought.
Nice to hear about the 240 mile range as early reports had it at 200 or even less and had that been the case, it wouldn't have been a bike for me. Also good to hear your reports on reach as I have a 30 inch inseam and that's probably near abouts where you are at.

The fueling issue will probably be just a new download away as soon as the bugs are worked.

I really need to get by a couple of dealers and test the Yammy and this Triumph. I will say the cruise is a hard thing to pass up as I have an Audiovox unit on my DL.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #2404
Farside13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
The gleaming beast

The new beast a couple of weeks ago on delivery day
Farside13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #2405
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Freedom Powerports on Cobb Parkway in Kennesaw.
First off, congrats on the new bike. I live about a mile from that dealership and bought my old V-Strom from them back when they used to carry Suzuki. I need to swing by there and see if they have another Tiger I can ogle.
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #2406
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
First off, congrats on the new bike. I live about a mile from that dealership and bought my old V-Strom from them back when they used to carry Suzuki. I need to swing by there and see if they have another Tiger I can ogle.
I was pleased with the deal, tell Roger that Jerry (the guy that bought the first one) sent you!

Unless they got one unexpectedly, they are waiting on their next one.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #2407
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Both of these make me happy before I even get my bike. I test rode it and loved it, but fuel range and long term seat comfort are not easy to test on a ten mile test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post

NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #2408
Farside13
Adventurer

Ride report

On Thursday 19th April I collected my black explorer, that evening I did about 200km. I took Friday off and took a loooong ride to mostly nowhere to run up the miles on Saturday morning she had her first service then on Saturday afternoon we were on our way to Bloem +-500km from where I stay. We spent the next week and a half riding around the country on the pretext of visiting micro breweries. We spent a lot of time on tarmac and some on dirt, some of the dirt became very rough and technical a lot more involved than we ever thought it would be. We ended up riding off road ie there was no road at all! Truth be told we got lost and didn't want to go back the way we came becuase it was really rough Although the Tiger wasn't designed to do this kind of stuff she handled it all like a pro.

My impression of the bike at the moment having done 5000km is that it is simply awesome. The power and torque of the machine make a ride on it completely effortless, any gear any time she just pulls. Once by mistake I pulled of from a traffic light in 3rd gear she didn't wheelie but didn't complain too much either. I also found that riding on dirt it's like a magic carpet ride the suspension handled the deep holes and ruts without a problem no big bangs and rattles (like the 955) nothing to scare you into throttling back. Yes the throttle is sensitive it needs to be treated with care and caution but you get used to it. Like setting the cruise control (awesome feature on long open roads) I preffered clicking it on with my left hand as the stretch to do it with the right thumb can cause you to pull the throttle a bit which is usually enough to speed up a fair bit. On the tight dirt roads I found that putting her in a gear higher than you'd normally use does the trick, there is still loads of grunt to keep you going even at slower speeds and there are no sudden acceleration surprises. On the tarmac this bike is like a laser pointer accurate and reassuring, I had the opportunity to ride her "in anger" down a nice swoopy fast (+-170kmh) bends not a problem at all, in fact a total pleasure. However if the going gets tighter then watch out she grounds the footpeg sooner than I expected

What I didn't like on the bike are the ergonomics, which as we all know can be quite personal depending on your size weight etc. I want the seat to be a little higher (although putting it on low when doing offroad was helpful), the seat was not as comfortable as my 1050, the bars need to be +-10-15mm higher and closer for sitting more upright and a more comfortable stand. I found (possibly beacues of the bars) that I sit too close to the tank with the result of a fair bit of scuffing despite a tank protector (not the Triumph one). The screen (standard) and I didn't get on I have an Arai TourX and the peak would vibrate in some conditions that would drive me nuts! I was riding the standard bike as my accessories had not yet arrived. Having the hand guards, heated grips, spots and engine guards in some conditions would have been more than welcome. My "dislikes" pale in relation to the likes and they can all be easily (not necessarily cheaply) fixed. My feeling is that they have made a big bike for small guys. Maybe it's to do with the positioning of the bars etc but I sit too close to the tank that has resulted in some scuffing from my jacket. Anyhow this is what it all looked like.

Farside13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2409
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside13 View Post
On Thursday 19th April I collected my black explorer, that evening I did about 200km.
Anyhow this is what it all looked like.
Thanks for the report, but I can't view the pics. It says it is forbidden, so maybe you have some security set for them?

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying your big Tigger!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #2410
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
I was pleased with the deal, tell Roger that Jerry (the guy that bought the first one) sent you!

Unless they got one unexpectedly, they are waiting on their next one.

I'm not really in the market for a new bike right now considering that I've had my Tenere less than a year. However, I went by today just to see and touch it. I've never seen an Explorer in person. They didn't have one in stock but they said that the next one is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. So if anyone in the Atlanta area is interested, give 'em a call.
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #2411
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
I just sat on the launch demo in Albany NY. They got it last Thursday, and the dealership owner road it about 100 miles this weekend, and it is now available for test rides or purchase. I have a 30" inseam, and whatever the seat was set to let me put both feet down, but not quite flat. For me, I think some risers would bring it closer to the upright position I now have on my Legend. The footpeg distance was very comfortable though, so no changes needed there. They also have an 800 XC demo, so the first free Satyrday (that was a misspelling and not a Freudian slip) I get, I'd like to go ride both.

I mentioned that some of you pre-ordered and are still waiting, but the salesman said that Triumph was distributing the bikes to the dealers that had sent their techs for training, so as to assure that they entered the market correctly assembled and properly adjusted. If your dealer took your money, but did not send their techs to Georgia for the training, then they are actually the holdup, and not Triumph themselves. That was my interpretation of the message anyway.

Oh yeah, it's blue if anyone is interested.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #2412
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

ssevy where are you from ? I'm in Oneonta. How did the dealer seem I was under the impression that they would sell the bikes but really didn't have much interest in them, as they are primarily a HD dealer.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #2413
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

This is awesome to already have some real input from someone with a decent amount of miles in the saddle.

Quote:
On Thursday 19th April I collected my black explorer, that evening I did about 200km. I took Friday off and took a loooong ride to mostly nowhere to run up the miles on Saturday morning she had her first service then on Saturday afternoon we were on our way to Bloem +-500km from where I stay. We spent the next week and a half riding around the country on the pretext of visiting micro breweries. We spent a lot of time on tarmac and some on dirt, some of the dirt became very rough and technical a lot more involved than we ever thought it would be. We ended up riding off road ie there was no road at all! Truth be told we got lost and didn't want to go back the way we came becuase it was really rough Although the Tiger wasn't designed to do this kind of stuff she handled it all like a pro.

My impression of the bike at the moment having done 5000km is that it is simply awesome. The power and torque of the machine make a ride on it completely effortless, any gear any time she just pulls. Once by mistake I pulled of from a traffic light in 3rd gear she didn't wheelie but didn't complain too much either. I also found that riding on dirt it's like a magic carpet ride the suspension handled the deep holes and ruts without a problem no big bangs and rattles (like the 955) nothing to scare you into throttling back. Yes the throttle is sensitive it needs to be treated with care and caution but you get used to it. Like setting the cruise control (awesome feature on long open roads) I preffered clicking it on with my left hand as the stretch to do it with the right thumb can cause you to pull the throttle a bit which is usually enough to speed up a fair bit. On the tight dirt roads I found that putting her in a gear higher than you'd normally use does the trick, there is still loads of grunt to keep you going even at slower speeds and there are no sudden acceleration surprises. On the tarmac this bike is like a laser pointer accurate and reassuring, I had the opportunity to ride her "in anger" down a nice swoopy fast (+-170kmh) bends not a problem at all, in fact a total pleasure. However if the going gets tighter then watch out she grounds the footpeg sooner than I expected

What I didn't like on the bike are the ergonomics, which as we all know can be quite personal depending on your size weight etc. I want the seat to be a little higher (although putting it on low when doing offroad was helpful), the seat was not as comfortable as my 1050, the bars need to be +-10-15mm higher and closer for sitting more upright and a more comfortable stand. I found (possibly beacues of the bars) that I sit too close to the tank with the result of a fair bit of scuffing despite a tank protector (not the Triumph one). The screen (standard) and I didn't get on I have an Arai TourX and the peak would vibrate in some conditions that would drive me nuts! I was riding the standard bike as my accessories had not yet arrived. Having the hand guards, heated grips, spots and engine guards in some conditions would have been more than welcome. My "dislikes" pale in relation to the likes and they can all be easily (not necessarily cheaply) fixed. My feeling is that they have made a big bike for small guys. Maybe it's to do with the positioning of the bars etc but I sit too close to the tank that has resulted in some scuffing from my jacket. Anyhow this is what it all looked like.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #2414
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I am especially happy to hear for once you don't need to be 6'0 plus to ride an adventure bike! I am 5'9 and my current triumph tiger "girlie" favors the tall guys. Yes, I do it but I like to get 2 feet firmly on the ground, but I can ride anything.

2nd I am happy to hear about the power, I do love my 955i's sound and power. I hope the 1200 has the same sweet sound with a nice triumph performance can and race tune. Any feedback on this?
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #2415
BiganDaft
Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:

Farside, we were NOT lost, there were 3 GPS units!!!!
But seriously, I was impressed with some of the places that the Big Lump went, and the bike was good as well

(By the way, your pics aren't showing?)
BiganDaft is offline   Reply With Quote