Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #2416
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
ssevy where are you from ? I'm in Oneonta. How did the dealer seem I was under the impression that they would sell the bikes but really didn't have much interest in them, as they are primarily a HD dealer.
My buddy bought a 2010 Thunderbird from them, and he has been mostly happy, although the service stuff is expensive. I was a little disappointed in their service dept. last summer, as my buddy got his bike inspected there just before an 11-day trip with me, and they did not mention that his rear tire was nearly shot. (We ended up getting it replaced at Kissell's in State College PA) I have a classic triple (99 Legend), and they don't know anything about them, as they became a Triumph dealer only recently. HD is definitely their bread and butter (the HD gee-gaw room is bigger than the entire Triumph display area), but I think they are trying to become established with the newer models. One good thing is that demand for Triumphs in our region seems to be low, and so they have bikes available for purchase and test rides. Probably willing to dicker a bit as well?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #2417
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
It could be a good thing if they dont move a lot, means leftovers at hopefully good prices. I just know sometimes it can be hard to even get a salesman to help you if the big money is made on other bikes. Who knows maybe they will profit largely from Triumph and direct a little more attention that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
My buddy bought a 2010 Thunderbird from them, and he has been mostly happy, although the service stuff is expensive. I was a little disappointed in their service dept. last summer, as my buddy got his bike inspected there just before an 11-day trip with me, and they did not mention that his rear tire was nearly shot. (We ended up getting it replaced at Kissell's in State College PA) I have a classic triple (99 Legend), and they don't know anything about them, as they became a Triumph dealer only recently. HD is definitely their bread and butter (the HD gee-gaw room is bigger than the entire Triumph display area), but I think they are trying to become established with the newer models. One good thing is that demand for Triumphs in our region seems to be low, and so they have bikes available for purchase and test rides. Probably willing to dicker a bit as well?
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #2418
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
back on the subject of tank bags.. can you guys over the pond get SW Motech stuff?

This is their city tank bag... it has a ring that fits onto the filler.. makes for a quick release. I've measured this one at 16cm before it is expanded... rode down to Hein Gericke today and placed it on the Explorer.. it fits the contours well and is not over big ....

Cortech is now making the the same type of tanks bags....their Dryver series.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #2419
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 611
What's this at my dealers?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7850804...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7850804...ream/lightbox/

Could it be mine? A test ride will determine that.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2420
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Sales rep's bike??
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #2421
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Just got back from a 180 mile ride - with gas light on and 4 miles left on the ODO countdown When I bought the bike they said they gave me a full tank of gas - who knows - but when I went to fill it up again, all I could fit in it was 4.6 gals. Speaking of filling it up with gas – what’s with the bar that prevents the nozzle from being inserted all the way? I’m sure it’s there for a reason. What ever it is, it makes re-fueling a little challenging. Anybody have additional info?

So I rode out to Malibu, through the mountains, along the coast and home again. Ride consisted of freeway, some heavy traffic conditions, twisties and more than enough stop and go.

FWIW, I guess I should mention that this is my first Triumph, so some of this might be old news but I have to say that I love the gearbox It's silky smooth. Also the power delivery from the engine is spot.

Of course I'm still in the break in period and am trying to take it easy. Nonetheless, the bike did superbly. I think it's been said before but it feels very light. It handled the twisties extremely well. The brakes, while not as good as the 2012 Speed Triple that I'd test rode the weekend before (with its mono block brembos), are however plenty powerful and have no problems, with just a couple of fingers, pulling the big girl to a quick stop from freeway speeds.

I played around with the windscreen settings - I'm 5' 11" and with the shield in the upper most position, I was able to ride comfortably at 70mph with my face shield up. I also put the seat in the taller position and may adjust it yet again by dropping the back of it as I felt I was leaning forward just a tad

Lane splitting was a bit more of a challenge - with the wider handlebars, but creeping along at slow speeds was no problem at all - very smooth.

As for the throttle; it doesn’t feel broken to me, but it is somewhat sensitive. Definitely need to be gentle with it. Having said that though, I feel like it’s something I can get used to. One thing I noticed was that after the ride, my throttle wrist wasn’t complaining – I guess that’s because it doesn’t require a heavy grip and or a lot of twisting. Once the bike has broken in, and I have the opportunity to use the cruise control, it should be even better.

The last thing I have to comment about is the computer; I feel like I need to spend a bit more time playing around with it. There seems to be a lot of info and I’m not sure what all of the readings meant. Perhaps I should read the manual…

On a final note I think this bike will be a keeper. The riding position suits me (I loved my Uly and this bike has similar ergos), it has plenty of horsepower, and it handles great, rides smooth, and looks like a bike that was made for burly folk.

I think the only thing I’m missing at this point is luggage – as long as it gets here for before I head to MotoGP, Laguna Seca, this year, I’ll be happy

After seeing this bike and reading the comments of some of the owners, I am now contemplating a Triumph. I have never owned one but always wanted to try out their triple. My commute has doubled and has me thinking of a sport tourer again or something like this or the Multistrada. So....if a few of you Gents out there could twist my arm in the right direction.......I'd be much obliged. Thx rhino......I see this is your first Triumph as well.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #2422
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Sales rep's bike??
That's just plain MEAN

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #2423
Zendog23
fear is the mind killer..

Oddometer: 13

Triumph Reno rules! I've got over 1000 miles on her and it is Awesome
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #2424
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Zendog how do you like the arrow ???
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #2425
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Luckily we know the reps bike is graphite . When do you get it moggi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
That's just plain MEAN
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #2426
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog23 View Post
b e a u t i f u l b i k e

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #2427
Zendog23
fear is the mind killer..

Oddometer: 13
The arrow has a very nice deep resonance and barks and burbles under deceleration. That bike moves like a scalded cat when you ask it to...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #2428
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendog23 View Post

Triumph Reno rules! I've got over 1000 miles on her and it is Awesome

Nice bike...probably the eventual replacement for my 955.

Mark and Brad really do an exceptional job running that place. I bought my 05 Tiger from them and they are some of the best i've ever dealt with.

Please tell them Constantinos sends his regards when you go by.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #2429
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,857

Best line in the BIKE magazine article: "...and a final drive that actually works..." Zing!

Big Triumph fan, I'm glad to see this machine hit the street.

Neat looking bike, for sure. I'm excited by the idea of it.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #2430
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
"First one up the curb and through the puddle wins!"

Nice pic, at Newcomb's no less.