Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #2566
Krieg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
I can feel a touch of the 'transition lash' but on my bike it is negligible though I have only covered 150 miles. I do know that when I open the throttle the damn thing just goes; no hesitation at all.

I have ridden my bike on three separate occasions and each time I feel like it just gets better. 150 miles is no distance to judge a machine of course and I hope to put a few more miles on it over the next couple of weekends and will report back.

Pushing the bike around reminds you it is a beast but the moment it is moving it reminds me of my 550 Kawasaki from the 80's; it really is that light when in motion. I am not exaggerating when I say that the 250cc bike I rode for my MSF took more input at the handlebar to do the 'swerve test' than the Explorer.

I haven't ridden the 800 so cannot compare and by the sound of it maybe it is a good thing I didn't
It cannot be overstated that the motor on the Explorer is a thing of beauty. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH... Power power power. And without all the whistling, whining and wheezing noises of the 800. Bravo Triumph!
Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #2567
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
It cannot be overstated that the motor on the Explorer is a thing of beauty. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH... Power power power. And without all the whistling, whining and wheezing noises of the 800. Bravo Triumph!
Ha! You are quite right about the 800's whirring and whining! I'm sometimes embarrassed to hit the button if there are a few Harley's and their owners parked up close by!

I am looking forward to giving the Explorer a second ride because I know a full day on the bike will give a better appreciation of things.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2568
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
Ha! You are quite right about the 800's whirring and whining! I'm sometimes embarrassed to hit the button if there are a few Harley's and their owners parked up close by!

I am looking forward to giving the Explorer a second ride because I know a full day on the bike will give a better appreciation of things.
That must be how jet fighter pilots feel when they start up their plane next to a group of WWII enthusiasts

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #2569
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
That must be how jet fighter pilots feel when they start up their plane next to a group of WWII enthusiasts
The 800 may be rough and noisy but likening it to a WWII prop plane is a bit of a stretch...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #2570
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The 800 may be rough and noisy but likening it to a WWII prop plane is a bit of a stretch...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #2571
Longknife
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Picked up my launch model last Friday. Have about 400 miles on her so far and here are some of my humble opinions. Keep in mind my previous bike was a ST1300.
- I like the bike more with every mile I put on it. I know a lot of people are saying it's a beast, and she is big. But compared to the ST she is an athlete in handling and acceleration.
- Throttle by wire would be my biggest complaint. I'm torn because I know it's what makes putting one of my favorite features, cruise control, on so economically. But my god it's touchy. I keep wondering if it's possible for an adult to get shaken baby syndrome and I'm sure I look like a bobble head from the side. It's most noticeable and hard to control at slower speeds and I know some have said to keep it in a higher gear but the help there is negligible.
-Shifting is stupid smooth and so is the motor. I'm still keeping RPM's below 5,000 and I can't wait to open this pig up.
-Shaft drive does have some lash, but no worse than the ST. I'm willing to deal with it for less maintenance than a chain.
-I wish aftermarket accessories were more available, but I knew with a low volume and new bike this would be an issue. I just need to suck it up and pay Touratech or Jesse the hefty sums they want for cases. I carry a lot of crap to work and I want to do some long rides so I need those ASAP.
-Riding position is good for me at 5'9 but I'll probably make some changes to get the bars back.
-Information system is driving me crazy. It's in metric and the clock is wrong. I'm doing the steps exactly as shown in the manual but no joy in changing it. My dealership knew less about the bike than I, so asking them for help would be pointless.
-Brakes are decent. Not a ton of grab and they feel pretty dull but I haven't rear ended somebody so they get a pass.
-Stock windscreen is pretty good. I get very little buffeting and protection is adequate.

Overall I love the bike. There is no one thing that makes it the best bike or the worst bike. But all in all it is exceeding my expectations and I love looking at it. I can't wait to do some interstate trips and stretch her legs.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #2572
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 850
Good or bad; a technique I've been using to keep the throttle steady is to rest my index and middle finger on the brake lever. I'm not even using my wrist but barely adjusting with my hand and the thumb that's wrapped around the throttle.
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2573
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Good or bad; a technique I've been using to keep the throttle steady is to rest my index and middle finger on the brake lever. I'm not even using my wrist but barely adjusting with my hand and the thumb that's wrapped around the throttle.
I find if I use my fingers to control the throttle I don't get any surge even on bumps. Once I go back to my old way of using thumb and palm I get those little surges on bumpy stuff. Guess it's just something new for me to learn even if I am an old dog.

Triumph Explorer
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #2574
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I found as I got more fatigued on a longer ride I would drive more jerky as my arms were getting tired.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #2575
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
By all accounts, a stiffer Throttle spring assembly is on it's way from Triumph.
This is only internet gossip though.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #2576
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 432
ive had sucess using an o-ring between the grip and throttle housing on a friends ktm super duke r for a smoother ride. only cost pennies and may work on the triumph too. i use one on my 1050 as a cheap cruise control. i do notice it smooths mine out also. may be worth a try
Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #2577
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Anyone know what LONGER shifter will fit this bike?????
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #2578
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I get to pick mine up saturday !
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2579
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Has your bike arrived? When?

My Triumph dealer received 6 new bikes today, none of them were Explorers.

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #2580
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post

YEEEESSS!

Finally

Triumph Explorer