View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #2566
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 871
Good or bad; a technique I've been using to keep the throttle steady is to rest my index and middle finger on the brake lever. I'm not even using my wrist but barely adjusting with my hand and the thumb that's wrapped around the throttle.
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #2567
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Good or bad; a technique I've been using to keep the throttle steady is to rest my index and middle finger on the brake lever. I'm not even using my wrist but barely adjusting with my hand and the thumb that's wrapped around the throttle.
I find if I use my fingers to control the throttle I don't get any surge even on bumps. Once I go back to my old way of using thumb and palm I get those little surges on bumpy stuff. Guess it's just something new for me to learn even if I am an old dog.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #2568
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I found as I got more fatigued on a longer ride I would drive more jerky as my arms were getting tired.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #2569
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,619
By all accounts, a stiffer Throttle spring assembly is on it's way from Triumph.
This is only internet gossip though.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #2570
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 448
ive had sucess using an o-ring between the grip and throttle housing on a friends ktm super duke r for a smoother ride. only cost pennies and may work on the triumph too. i use one on my 1050 as a cheap cruise control. i do notice it smooths mine out also. may be worth a try
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #2571
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Anyone know what LONGER shifter will fit this bike?????
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #2572
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I get to pick mine up saturday !
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #2573
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Has your bike arrived? When?

My Triumph dealer received 6 new bikes today, none of them were Explorers.

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #2574
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:

YEEEESSS!

Finally

Triumph Explorer
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2575
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
So I know this isn't the right place for this, but I've been reading all this cause I'm considering this for my next (additional) stead (for riding with the wife), although I'll wait a year or two for the SE (or better yet an R model, I wish).

But, I do have a question, never having had an "adventure" bike (this is not specific to this Trumpet, but because it's the one I'm interested in, still relevant here). Why the huge front wheel? I understand the purpose in theory, for stability off-road; but we all know these big bikes are like 4x4 SUV's, they'll seldom if ever see any real dirt, and everyone admits a dirt road is all that's really realistic.

So, how come not the SuperMoto style smaller front wheel, which is better for road handling performance?

Sorry for the kinda detour. (Admins, if this should be moved, just let me know where it goes, so I can follow it please...)
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #2576
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So I know this isn't the right place for this, but I've been reading all this cause I'm considering this for my next (additional) stead (for riding with the wife), although I'll wait a year or two for the SE (or better yet an R model, I wish).

But, I do have a question, never having had an "adventure" bike (this is not specific to this Trumpet, but because it's the one I'm interested in, still relevant here). Why the huge front wheel? I understand the purpose in theory, for stability off-road; but we all know these big bikes are like 4x4 SUV's, they'll seldom if ever see any real dirt, and everyone admits a dirt road is all that's really realistic.

So, how come not the SuperMoto style smaller front wheel, which is better for road handling performance?

Sorry for the kinda detour. (Admins, if this should be moved, just let me know where it goes, so I can follow it please...)
The larger front wheel makes for better handling off road as you say. Also good on the road for all those pot holes and bad repairs. If the explorer is anything like my 800 in the handling stakes you'll find the 19" great.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #2577
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48

'bout time, no?
Have fun!
Quote:
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #2578
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
The larger front wheel makes for better handling off road as you say. Also good on the road for all those pot holes and bad repairs. If the explorer is anything like my 800 in the handling stakes you'll find the 19" great.
E39, I haven't ridden in 23 years so don't have much to compare my Explorer to but I can tell you it changes direction quickly for such a large bike, surprisingly so.

Also, as Kildareman says, the potholes and general degredation of the roads we see here in the North East is well suited to the Explorer. I cannot imagine what it would have felt like riding my old Hoinda CB900 down these roads, it would have shaken me to pieces.

The braver (foolhardy? Just kiddin' lads) will take the Explorer off road and will likely enjoy the 19" wheel and may at times wish for a larger one but in my mind 19" is a good compromise.

My advice is test ride the bike, be clear in your expectations of what you expect a 19" wheel to feel like then be pleasantly surprised (or not ).

Triumph Explorer
Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2579
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

bout time is right ! good news almost all the extras i ordered are in and installed (just lacking the fog lights) cant wait to get it !! Duc's been gone a week and the v star just doesnt get my amped up like the Tiger or Duc use to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element6 View Post

'bout time, no?
Have fun!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #2580
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Moggi one of these days we'll have to have a meeting for the Tiger waiters club, next time ill be around your area ill try to PM you ahead of time. Maybe we can ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
YEEEESSS!

Finally